3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Barnie Spacullie

Why Trevor killed your favorite Biker Johnny

Barnie Spacullie

I see a lot of people very upset about this, still to this day. 

I agree that the purpose was to show how deranged and much of a force of nature Trevor is, however its so much more. 

Trevor killing Johnny, was a statement about Meth. 

Yes Meth. 

It was an introduction into a crazy wild west, that is domminated by a make it or break it drug. Trevor was the example of how it was used for productivity to turn him into a beast, and Johnny was an example of how it could cripple you. 

Simple as that. 

JuliusCaesar

While I like the way you lay out that scenario, I don't think that it's necessarily all that simple, because Johnny was the kind of guy that would get himself killed over giving his heart over to Ashley. It's an interesting discussion. I will enjoy reading people's thoughts on The Lost and Damned showing how, in some ways, his own game really frames up where was headed: Down the toilet with Ashley. It really was a rough protagonist in Johnny Klebitz, hard to play at times, yet that was one of the things that made the character different enough to get his own game.

It really frames Trevor up as the antagonist. It's like a new perspective on a Lost and Damned mission where Johnny is putting himself and his brothers in danger over a girl who really isn't worth it if she's still doing this kind of stuff, only this time, he's gone up against the guy that we played as in this game.

However how bad is Trevor? You could argue that friendship and honor among thieves means a lot more to him than it does Michael. Michael is the protagonist character that already beat the game, ten years later. Everything that happens on the screen happens for a reason, even more than in cinema, video games are entirely deliberate. Nothing is made without a purpose because someone had to think of a purpose for that to be there or to happen in the game or be shown at that moment or played back during this conversation and so on. I just think there is a little more to it than just a look at what happens to guys like Johnny Klebitz.

Edited by JuliusCaesar
some of the bad grammar and spelling and things.

TheSantader25

No matter how hard you try to explain this people will still ignore your explanation. Trevor killing Johnny actually was one of the most meaningful and deep moments of a story that wasn't a good one but people still can't accept the explanations. However I think I'm done trying to explain why it made total sense cause I think I've done my part over the past year. I'll just enjoy killing worthless bikers. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Barnie Spacullie
1 hour ago, JuliusCaesar said:

While I like the way you lay out that scenario, I don't think that it's necessarily all that simple, because Johnny was the kind of guy that would get himself killed over giving his heart over to Ashley. It's an interesting discussion. I will enjoy reading people's thoughts on The Lost and Damned showing how, in some ways, his own game really frames up where was headed: Down the toilet with Ashley. It really was a rough protagonist in Johnny Klebitz, hard to play at times, yet that was one of the things that made the character different enough to get his own game.

It really frames Trevor up as the antagonist. It's like a new perspective on a Lost and Damned mission where Johnny is putting himself and his brothers in danger over a girl who really isn't worth it if she's still doing this kind of stuff, only this time, he's gone up against the guy that we played as in this game.

However how bad is Trevor? You could argue that friendship and honor among thieves means a lot more to him than it does Michael. Michael is the protagonist character that already beat the game, ten years later. Everything that happens on the screen happens for a reason, even more than in cinema, video games are entirely deliberate. Nothing is made without a purpose because someone had to think of a purpose for that to be there or to happen in the game or be shown at that moment or played back during this conversation and so on. I just think there is a little more to it than just a look at what happens to guys like Johnny Klebitz.

Actually i soooopp should have added that about Ashley you are soooooooo right. 

D9fred95

Have people even been bringing up Johnny's death at all recently? I know there's still the old joke here and there but it looks like the whole Johnny vs. Trevor debate calmed down after Chirovette and his 1# fan stopped stirring the pot.

FemmeFatale

It was just to close TLAD's chapter (in a terrible and poorly executed way) and make you hate Trevor, nothing more.

Tao Cheng

I'm still triggered that Huang Lee easily roundhouse kicked Niko on the jaw and knocked him out. I hate Huang Lee for that!!! Niko may be a piece of sh*t in retrospect but thanks to the events of Grand Theft Auto IV, I have grown attached to him!

danosky

On one hand, it did make me hate Trevor initially. Johnny was used to tear at the player's emotions, whereas any other generic biker npc could had been used to show Trevor being a violent sociopath. On the other, your point about meth is valid. Johnny was crippled by it and it did showcase how different characters could end up. Also, if they were going to display Johnny as a meth-head, in the sad state he was shown in game, it was better that he got killed off fast. Better than seeing him in that sad state for much longer.

AlexnderJ

I remember losers getting REALLY bent out of shape over this, almost to the point where they do literally ANYTHING to satisfy their crippling ass-pain such as edited videos and making death-threats

i don't remember this crying and boo-hooing over the death of Liu Kang when got killed in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance

Beato_dim
On 1/18/2019 at 1:56 AM, AlexnderJ said:

I remember losers getting REALLY bent out of shape over this, almost to the point where they do literally ANYTHING to satisfy their crippling ass-pain such as edited videos and making death-threats

i don't remember this crying and boo-hooing over the death of Liu Kang when got killed in Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance

Did anyone still like Liu Kang a lot at that point? I mean, he was kind of a 'boring virtuous protagonist', it's not like they killed off Sub-Zero or Scorpion. Also, MK wasn't as popular at that point (or even now, to be honest, but back then even more so) as GTA is now.

Edited by Beato_dim

AlexnderJ
On 1/19/2019 at 1:57 PM, Beato_dim said:

MK wasn't as popular at that point (or even now, to be honest, but back then even more so)

Mortal Kombat was and still is a huge staple in today's time in the video game realm, if it truly wasn't as popular as you said, they wouldn't be making MK11 right now