Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Rithrius

Gold is a scam!

Recommended Posts

Rithrius

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but this is too big to not make sure everyone is aware.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
•—•

The dude was trying to buy something that costed gold when unlocked. But you can't spend extra gold to get level locked item that's worth gold. That's if I remember the video correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chrismads

Micro transactions should be all out illegal. I have no sympathy or respect for anyone trying to ptw anyway

 

Edit. I know there's no pay to win in game anymore, but buying a rank locked horse for real money would be ptw

Edited by Chrismads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rithrius
30 minutes ago, Ektope said:

The dude was trying to buy something that costed gold when unlocked. But you can't spend extra gold to get level locked item that's worth gold. That's if I remember the video correctly.

And yet Rockstar made no effort to explain such details to the player and instead they automatically guided the player to the online store to buy gold despite the level requirement which they failed to mention before making someone spend money on it.

You can blame that on poor game design, but given their experience with GTA:O, i doubt that's the case. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BUT THE BENZ

I thought they did something similar with boots, or a gunbelt?! ....but really who cares, you can make that GOLD ingame, besides cash!

1 goldbar is about 10 to 12 missions...do the math

 

I don't like the system, and I don't want to take sides with R* and T2 for their politics...HELL NO...just sayin I personally don't mind, I know what I want, I know what I'm offfered - and I can choose which way to get it.

namsayin?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rusbeckia
36 minutes ago, Rithrius said:

And yet Rockstar made no effort to explain such details to the player and instead they automatically guided the player to the online store to buy gold despite the level requirement which they failed to mention before making someone spend money on it.

You can blame that on poor game design, but given their experience with GTA:O, i doubt that's the case. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Sorry but if you‘re stupid enough to spend real life money on gold and don‘t even check if you can buy anything you like with it, it‘s not the game designers fault. 

Get your sh*t together and be aware what you spend your money on. Really not the tiniest bit of sympathy here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Poggy

It's not a deliberate scam, IMHO, just a bit of poor design - many, many things in the game are left inadequately explained.

 

As regards Mtx it's just the way that games get paid for these days - they aren't going anywhere soon, I think.  Either buy them or don't.  I'll probably spend a bit of spare cash on a bit of gold, but nothing more than about £10.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin

Gold Bars are 100% a scam. The point of micro-transactions is to allow Pay 2 Win/Pay 2 Play games to remain free for everyone. Ever wonder how all these stupid cellphone games just keep coming out.. because people spend thousands on those games, so their little armies/dragons/cities/etc can win/survive easier against players who don't P2W/P2P. This bullsh*t business scheme has trickled into mainstream console/PC gaming and will continue to spread into other mediums in any way possible(think of YouTube Red, Spotify, Amazon Prime, etc). It started way back with Auction Houses for MMO games, and then more recently with EA enforcing lootboxes in their games which destroyed their reputation even more than it already was and it effectively opened everyone's eyes to the inevitable evils of micro-transactions.

 

You see a mainstream game with a price tag doesn't need micro-transactions, they don't rely on them. It's only when developers recently started basing their game design around micro-transactions like for instance, Battle Chests, Battlepacks, Lootboxes, Sharkcards/Goldbars, Crowns, Lunchboxes, etc... This forces players to P2W/P2P just to make it an even playing field or to gain only the slightest advantage over someone else. If you have never played GTA:Online before in your life, you are screwed if you join Online now without the expectation of purchasing Shark Cards.. There is no way you're going to get everything you want without some form of help, otherwise you're going to be grinding for a LONG, LONG time. This is why R* constantly gives players hundreds of thousands of dollars randomly for free just as long as you log Online between certain dates or whatever.

 

Unfortunately, this same fate will inevitably happen with RD:Online and just about every other "big" game or media, I'm just here for the ride until the wheels start wobbling on this wagon then I'm jumping ship to something else, exactly like with GTA:Online. Look at Youtube Red, Spotify, Amazon Prime etc as an example, if you buy their "premium services" you get only a slightly better version with no advertisements for an extra monthly fee.

 

I will never spend money on micro-transactions, if you do waste your hard earned cash on that crap than all you are doing is fueling the business scheme in general. Which is only going to make things worse for not just gamers but now everyone else in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rithrius
9 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

Sorry but if you‘re stupid enough to spend real life money on gold and don‘t even check if you can buy anything you like with it, it‘s not the game designers fault. 

Get your sh*t together and be aware what you spend your money on. Really not the tiniest bit of sympathy here.

 

Just now, Poggy said:

It's not a deliberate scam, IMHO, just a bit of poor design - many, many things in the game are left inadequately explained.

Watch the video I posted in the OP. I'm sure even the first two minutes would do to counter your arguments. Rockstar effectively made it look like players could buy things if they purchased gold, and only afterwards were informed they needed a higher level regardless of their current amount of gold which they just spent money on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Poggy

Ok.  Well, if so that's just typical business under-handiness.  Not a fan of such methods, but it won't stop me playing the game or buying gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BUT THE BENZ
21 minutes ago, Poggy said:

It's not a deliberate scam, IMHO, just a bit of poor design - many, many things in the game are left inadequately explained.

yeah, and that's probably due to the BENZLESS factor! (semi-serious)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaliMeatWagon

What do I need to buy, in game, to win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fejkb
44 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

Gold Bars are 100% a scam. The point of micro-transactions is to allow Pay 2 Win/Pay 2 Play games to remain free for everyone. Ever wonder how all these stupid cellphone games just keep coming out.. because people spend thousands on those games, so their little armies/dragons/cities/etc can win/survive easier against players who don't P2W/P2P. This bullsh*t business scheme has trickled into mainstream console/PC gaming and will continue to spread into other mediums in any way possible(think of YouTube Red, Spotify, Amazon Prime, etc). It started way back with Auction Houses for MMO games, and then more recently with EA enforcing lootboxes in their games which destroyed their reputation even more than it already was and it effectively opened everyone's eyes to the inevitable evils of micro-transactions.

 

You see a mainstream game with a price tag doesn't need micro-transactions, they don't rely on them. It's only when developers recently started basing their game design around micro-transactions like for instance, Battle Chests, Battlepacks, Lootboxes, Sharkcards/Goldbars, Crowns, Lunchboxes, etc... This forces players to P2W/P2P just to make it an even playing field or to gain only the slightest advantage over someone else. If you have never played GTA:Online before in your life, you are screwed if you join Online now without the expectation of purchasing Shark Cards.. There is no way you're going to get everything you want without some form of help, otherwise you're going to be grinding for a LONG, LONG time. This is why R* constantly gives players hundreds of thousands of dollars randomly for free just as long as you log Online between certain dates or whatever.

 

Unfortunately, this same fate will inevitably happen with RD:Online and just about every other "big" game or media, I'm just here for the ride until the wheels start wobbling on this wagon then I'm jumping ship to something else, exactly like with GTA:Online. Look at Youtube Red, Spotify, Amazon Prime etc as an example, if you buy their "premium services" you get only a slightly better version with no advertisements for an extra monthly fee.

 

I will never spend money on micro-transactions, if you do waste your hard earned cash on that crap than all you are doing is fueling the business scheme in general. Which is only going to make things worse for not just gamers but now everyone else in the long run.

Sorry buddy, but I can destroy your whole post with one word: Fortnite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin
15 minutes ago, fejkb said:

Sorry buddy, but I can destroy your whole post with one word: Fortnite

You mean one of the biggest P2P/P2W games in recent years, Fortnite.. How in anyway does this "destroy" my post... If anything, you just helped my post and stated another example of micro-transaction driven games that are ruining the industry and giving other industries the idea of using micro-transactions lol

 

 

Edited by areyouchappin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fejkb
Just now, areyouchappin said:

You mean one of the biggest P2P/P2W games in recent years, Fortnite.. How in anyway does this "destroy" my post... If anything, you just helped my post and stated another example of micro-transaction driven games that are ruining the industry and giving other industries the idea of using micro-transactions lol

It's free to play and all you can buy is cosmetics. What are you even talking about? What is pay 2 play or pay 2 win in Fortnite? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HockeyMike24

The fact the microtransactions are available in a beta stage with very minimal content is a joke. At this point I have no respect for R*

 

Why is online even in beta? They had 7 years and we all paid full price for a beta with no end date!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin
4 minutes ago, fejkb said:

It's free to play and all you can buy is cosmetics. What are you even talking about? What is pay 2 play or pay 2 win in Fortnite? 

You get XP bonuses for purchasing items with V-Bucks but that's beside the entire point that you so "cleverly" dodged.... micro-transactions are ruining industries.. micro-transactions are scams... YOU DO NOT NEED THEM to enjoy any game, that is the entire point I was making. You named one game out of the growing number of games that are designing their online modes around micro-transactions. Fortnite was F2P but now they advertise their extra bundles more than the free version of game...

 

Hopefully you don't waste real life money on a skin in a children's game lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BUT THE BENZ
28 minutes ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

What do I need to buy, in game, to win?

the embossed gunslinger gunbelt! aaaand the holster to match with that! in my case, rank 18, that's about 15 gold bars (ranking with gold)

 

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fejkb
Just now, areyouchappin said:

You get XP bonuses for purchasing items with V-Bucks but that's beside the entire point that you so "cleverly" dodged.... micro-transactions are ruining industries.. micro-transactions are scams... YOU DO NOT NEED THEM to enjoy any game, that is the entire point I was making. You named one game out of the growing number of games that are designing their online modes around micro-transactions. Fortnite was F2P but now they advertise their extra bundles more than the free version of game...

 

Hopefully you don't waste real life money on a skin in a children's game lol

What are you talking about? You say XP bonuses are pay to what? Pay to get cosmetic rewards? Micro-transactions are not ruining industries. They are actually generating A LOAD of money and that means more money in gaming industry. Paying for world pass in League of Legends or Dota 2 gives you rewards and bigger money prizes for players, so it's more advertised and developers keep working on that game. Players win, competitors win, developers win. At the end these games are still free to play and you get NO adventage at all by paying. Fortnite was F2P, is F2P and gonna stay F2P. If you wanna talk about their PVE Save The World part of the game it requires one time payment and allows you to buy things faster, but you can still play for free and earn premium currency without spending any $. Stop trying to talk sh*t about everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr.Rosenthal

I don’t have a huge problem with microtransactions per se, but I do have a problem with how R* let them decide how they should make their game. The implementation of Oppressors/Deluxos into free roam, combined with sell missions that are doomed to fail if so much as one griefer is in the session comes to mind. So while they made huge money from mtx they didn’t make the game better for it but worse. That, I have a problem with.

 

At the same time I get a bit annoyed with people saying ”They’re just greedy/They don’t have to do it”. They’re a business corporation, always have been. How else would they make their money, and furthermore, would you rather have that? Because they must make their money. R* hasn’t released a single game in 5 years, and look what they did with RDR2. The money they make is being put into making really, really good games.

 

I don’t know. There are pro’s and con’s, I agree that it’s shady and I’m not saying I’m all for it. But you gotta see both sides is all.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin
25 minutes ago, fejkb said:

What are you talking about? You say XP bonuses are pay to what? Pay to get cosmetic rewards? Micro-transactions are not ruining industries. They are actually generating A LOAD of money and that means more money in gaming industry. Paying for world pass in League of Legends or Dota 2 gives you rewards and bigger money prizes for players, so it's more advertised and developers keep working on that game. Players win, competitors win, developers win. At the end these games are still free to play and you get NO adventage at all by paying. Fortnite was F2P, is F2P and gonna stay F2P. If you wanna talk about their PVE Save The World part of the game it requires one time payment and allows you to buy things faster, but you can still play for free and earn premium currency without spending any $. Stop trying to talk sh*t about everything.

Fortnite wasn't an example I used at first because it is free to play, but if you have to pay to have a new skin or an item or some sort of advantage, that is Pay 2 Play/Pay 2 Win.... That means you're going to have a plain old version of the game FOREVER while other players who pay a little or a lot more money into it will have a better game, whether it is a fancy skin or a Jet soaring through the sky doesn't make the difference.. the point that you still clearly do not get and probably will never get because you obviously buy these things is micro-transactions are fueling a micro-transaction driven way of life. Oh, and If a game depends on micro-transactions to hold competitions or make sales, that is because they based the game design around micro-transactions so people like you fall for it and throw your money or whoevers money at it because you think you need it... Games like GTA5/Battlefield//Battlefront/COD etc didn't get more famous or more popular because of micro-transactions, they actually got a worse reputation because of it.

 

Don't worry pal, you'll still be able to buy your micro-transactions while everyone else with a brain gets the same content for free, unless you play childish cellphone games like Fortnite, then you have to buy that dumbass skin so your little avatar can look "cool" lmao I can talk sh*t about something when it deserves it, and micro-transactions are definitely worth talking tons of sh*t about.. If you don't like what my opinion is, then skip my fking post bro lol don't get upset and cry to me about how your opinion is more important than mine because I'm never going to agree with your warped opinion about micro-transactions.

 

They are a scam and they are going to eventually one day force EVERY player to buy some sort of micro-transaction, whether it helps you win or makes you look "cooler." I guess this is just too much for you to understand though.. so whatever

Edited by areyouchappin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CosmicBuffalo

The video is a bug...it shows that the saddle is rank locked to 91.  The guy can buy the saddle once he reaches 91.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Poggy

Isn't paying extra cash for cooler clothes basically the same as paying extra cash for cooler clothes irl?  I mean, no one is forcing me to pay cash for cool virtual cosmetics, same as no one is forcing me to buy brand name clothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
areyouchappin
On 12/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, Poggy said:

Isn't paying extra cash for cooler clothes basically the same as paying extra cash for cooler clothes irl?  I mean, no one is forcing me to pay cash for cool virtual cosmetics, same as no one is forcing me to buy brand name clothing?

That's exactly how it works, why in the fk do you need a $100 pair of jeans when a $15 or $20 will do the same job... The difference with Real life and a video game, is when you walk into a store the Clerk doesn't go "oh.. yeeeaah... sorry you're not level 90 yet to be able to buy those jeans, oh and it seems you didn't purchase our gold platinum card to get that level 90 jeans early.. so yeah, sorry.."

 

Stores can't put something in their inventory and then force you to do extra things to be able to purchase that product, that's why there are different kinds of stores that sell different kinds of products. Imagine if you walked into the store to pick up toilet paper or something and when you reached the aisle there was a gate that said "premium members only., pay $2 to pass." This is what Video games are doing nowadays, they put up a P2P wall and try to force players to buy the "good stuff," yeah you can grind for it.. for right now... but in a few years, grinding will take weeks or months before you can get a certain item, EXACTLY how GTA;Online is now..

 

Edited by areyouchappin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SaturdayNight
1 hour ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

yeah, and that's probably due to the BENZLESS factor! (semi-serious)

Speaking of the benz he needs to save the day quick with "EVERYWHERE" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lennymuhboi
1 hour ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

the embossed gunslinger gunbelt! aaaand the holster to match with that! in my case, rank 18, that's about 15 gold bars (ranking with gold)

 

 

What benefits do they have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YouDied

i remember reading somewhere that rockstar have to get permission from Take Two or something like that to able to do anything at least when it comes to microtransaction i dont know about the rest. So if its true even if rockstar wants to do something about the money to gold ratio they can't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BUT THE BENZ
6 minutes ago, lennymuhboi said:

 

What benefits do they have?

well you become THE gunslinger. not to be messed with, and never misses a shot!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fejkb
42 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

Fortnite wasn't an example I used at first because it is free to play, but if you have to pay to have a new skin or an item or some sort of advantage, that is Pay 2 Play/Pay 2 Win.... That means you're going to have a plain old version of the game FOREVER while other players who pay a little or a lot more money into it will have a better game, whether it is a fancy skin or a Jet soaring through the sky doesn't make the difference.. the point that you still clearly do not get and probably will never get because you obviously buy these things is micro-transactions are fueling a micro-transaction driven way of life. Oh, and If a game depends on micro-transactions to hold competitions or make sales, that is because they based the game design around micro-transactions so people like you fall for it and throw your money or whoevers money at it because you think you need it... Games like GTA5/Battlefield//Battlefront/COD etc didn't get more famous or more popular because of micro-transactions, they actually got a worse reputation because of it.

 

Don't worry pal, you'll still be able to buy your micro-transactions while everyone else with a brain gets the same content for free, unless you play childish cellphone games like Fortnite, then you have to buy that dumbass skin so your little avatar can look "cool" lmao I can talk sh*t about something when it deserves it, and micro-transactions are definitely worth talking tons of sh*t about.. If you don't like what my opinion is, then skip my fking post bro lol don't get upset and cry to me about how your opinion is more important than mine because I'm never going to agree with your warped opinion about micro-transactions.

 

They are a scam and they are going to eventually one day force EVERY player to buy some sort of micro-transaction, whether it helps you win or makes you look "cooler." I guess this is just too much for you to understand though.. so whatever

First of all, cut that offensive bullsh*t.

Paying for extra DLC or cosmetic changes ISN'T PAY TO PLAY. You can play without it and earn that damn premium currency by plaing this game. Do you even have brain or you just keep talking sh*t?

Back before premium DLC and MTX developers RARELY supported their games after releasing. These days companies work on their products YEARS AFTER RELEASING. It ain't freaking charity.

For the record I didn't buy ANY MTX in ANY game, so you can shut your mouth with "my MTX" and not having brain. You talk like rebellious kid from "superior mind" meme. 

Fortnite is childish game because it's cartoony? Damn, didn't know cartoons at all are childish and the only appropriate entertainment for adults are war movies or thrillers (following your logic).

You wanna bitch and moan about it? Go to that thread and do that. Stop being that asshole who must spam everywhere about bad companies, MTX and stuff. 

I can see you have no knowledge about how gaming industry works, so just please stop it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CosmicBuffalo
26 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

I think the video is just click bait to be honest, but Gold Bars and micro-transactions are a scam in general regardless of what the video says.

 

If I make a game and then I go: "you know what, lets take some of the features that are written into the core of this game and put them behind a Pay2Play wall" that is purely a money scheme. They know people are going to pay for that crap because it was suppose to be in the game already and it will make the game "better." If people don't pay for it as much as they intended, then they start making more things P2P so maybe they'll force players to pay the extra money.

 

 

R* made a single player game and we paid 60-100 for single player for additional content.  I think maybe the $100 version actually paid a bit for just online like $20 or something.  Point being, $60 got you single player.  You are not required to play online.  Its optional.  This argument applies to GTAV as well.  I guess you could argue that R* makes so few games that online is not optional. 

 

Single player is worth the purchase price and if you spend further then thats a completely separate transaction.    When you buy the game, you get single player and the ability to play online.  Where you do not need to spend real money.  If you failed to purchase 4 years ago, and bought solely for online, thanks for supporting GTAO with your shark cards.  This model is much more fair than other models.  If you don't like it, skip the online enjoy single player and buy another $60 game.  That's how it used to be.  Micros are here to stay either accept it or quit gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.