1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

xDONALDxTRUMPx1

I'm a hardcore GTAOnline player, convince me why I should buy/play Red Dead Online

ALifeOfMisery
3 hours ago, Chrismads said:

I don't mind pve servers. But characters going to pve servers, should only be able to play on pve servers. So people dont just go pve to grind and then pvp to grief

Edit. And if you can't earn it on pvp servers you dont deserve to use it on pvp servers

How would this work?

Items themselves aren't earned, cash, gold bars and XP are earned. So would there be a situation where cash, gold bars and XP earned in different lobby types is split between what is earned in "normal" lobbies and that which is earned in "friendly" lobbies?

Following that would guns bought with currency earned in friendly lobbies only be usable in friendly lobbies? Also what about customisation? If you bought a gun with friendly lobby cash but earned gold bars in normal lobbies would you be able to use that gold to customize a friendly lobby gun?

Then there's the issue of XP earned to unlock weapons, would we effectively have separate ranks for friendly and normal lobby types too?

I've only focused on weapons here, but would clothing, camps and horses work the same way so we would have separate wardrobes, camp upgrades and stables depending on the lobby type we play in during any given session?

Would cash, gold and XP earned during story missions be excluded from being used to purchase items for use in normal lobbies, after all, they haven't been earned in a PvP environment?

Or are you suggesting that anyone who wants to play in PvE servers should have to only play in PvE servers after having made that choice once?

Sounds like it could get awfully convoluted or to me, or at least be a very limiting system.

It wouldn't concern me, if we ever get PvE/friendly lobbies that will be where I play all the time anyway. But I can see such a system being problematic.

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

Chrismads
1 hour ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

How would this work?

Items themselves aren't earned, cash, gold bars and XP are earned. So would there be a situation where cash, gold bars and XP earned in different lobby types is split between what is earned in "normal" lobbies and that which is earned in "friendly" lobbies?

Following that would guns bought with currency earned in friendly lobbies only be usable in friendly lobbies? Also what about customisation? If you bought a gun with friendly lobby cash but earned gold bars in normal lobbies would you be able to use that gold to customize a friendly lobby gun?

Then there's the issue of XP earned to unlock weapons, would we effectively have separate ranks for friendly and normal lobby types too?

I've only focused on weapons here, but would clothing, camps and horses work the same way so we would have separate wardrobes, camp upgrades and stables depending on the lobby type we play in during any given session?

Would cash, gold and XP earned during story missions be excluded from being used to purchase items for use in normal lobbies, after all, they haven't been earned in a PvP environment?

Or are you suggesting that anyone who wants to play in PvE servers should have to only play in PvE servers after having made that choice once?

Sounds like it could get awfully convoluted or to me, or at least be a very limiting system.

It wouldn't concern me, if we ever get PvE/friendly lobbies that will be where I play all the time anyway. But I can see such a system being problematic.

It would mean having either a pvp or a pve character. If you start out in a pve session where you can grind away without any real challenge (as it is when a rival posse tries to ruin your mission), then of course you shouldn't be allowed on a pvp session with all your easy acquired stuff. Like Ark if you know that game.

iddqdvie

ppl that give themselves stupid nicknames are welcome nowhere!

unrelated to your nickname, my answer is no!

gta:o is gta and it doesnt suffer as much from outdated onlinemodes/setups.

rdo is basically a worse rdr1 mp

Lonely-Martin
15 minutes ago, Chrismads said:

It would mean having either a pvp or a pve character. If you start out in a pve session where you can grind away without any real challenge (as it is when a rival posse tries to ruin your mission), then of course you shouldn't be allowed on a pvp session with all your easy acquired stuff. Like Ark if you know that game.

Why should it be a challenge all the time? It's an open world offering both PvP and PvE so it's more on us to just enjoy what we like. (Though the PvE is limited at present).

And as they sell gold, and gold can buy guns/upgrades in PvP/normal sessions, makes even less sense. Especially as we can already access PvE jobs from a normal lobby, lol. Spend some time doing that, score cash/gold, then go PvP.

What you propose, I feel, is a lot more effort than R* are known to be willing to do, based off of experiences with GTA:O all these years. We know they want to run online on the cheap, and until something there changes a lot, this will be no different as they'll want to work on future titles like a new GTA, RDR, Bully, or other projects.

GTA:O thrived and sold so well because it was so flexible. Can't see that changing too much, unless they want less, lol.

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, Chrismads said:

I'm aware of Ark, but it's one of the many games I've bought, but never really put much time into due to being so heavily invested in GTAO at the time. So while I'm aware of it, I couldn't claim to be knowledgeable about it.

To be honest, personally, I wouldn't mind the kind of thing you propose, because I'd be more than happy with solely being a PvE player. PvP in the style of game R* make just doesn't interest me, not that I have a problem with those that do enjoy that side of things, whatever floats your boat.

Having said that, I would imagine that a sizable portion of the player base wouldn't enjoy such limitations.

Another issue I can see is that the game clearly hasn't been build from the ground up with such a system in mind. It would be more work than I'd say R* is renowned for to change the game to function in such a way.

Again though, if RDO had released in such a away that keeps PvP and PvE permanently separate, I'd have been more than happy with restricting myself to a PvE only play style. I'd actually see that as an improvement over the enforced 24/7 potential PvP we currently have. I just don't think that it would have the mass appeal R* tend to aim for.

The FoolYT

RDO ain't a full on survival game where you can make multiple characters and such. Segregating the playerbase by PvP and PvE ain't the solution really. I want to preferably grind on PvE and then move over to PvP when ready (if the option was available) and there ain't nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by The FoolYT

CyberViper
On 12/21/2018 at 5:16 PM, Big_Show said:

Here are the main reasons I've loved playing RDR2 the past two weeks instead of GTA:

• certain end game items and gun customizations are locked behind the gold currency which predominately sourced through buying with real money
  • in game gold and money is hard to come by.
  • if you spend an hour hunting get some perfect pelts and items to turn in, all it takes is for you to lag form session or get killed and you'll lose everything
  • A lot of items are locked behind rank and getting a lot XP is a bit of a grind unless you always rank in the top 3 for PvP death matches
  • There's no free aim lobbies, and the cheapest rifle you get from rank 1 has a crazy auto aim which allows anyone to simply head shot you which is a one shot death with ease.  
  • There's limited contact missions, no heists, and poor payouts for freeroam missions. 
  • Your friends and crew don't show up on radar so if their not in your posse - like VIP/MC you don't know who is who. 
  • The game constantly disconnects in every session.
  • Your base camp can randomly spawn anywhere on the entire map so when you load in you might have to make a 5 minute journey just to get to base camp.
  • The radar blips are inconsistent and lag, when you crouch/duck you go off radar often you're dead before you even know someone was near by. 
  • Oh Did i mention it's still in beta phase. 

Pretty much, this ^^^.. I'd like to add, when the game isn't  bugging out, you'll be able to complete all of the story missions and stranger missions in less than a day. You also get to wait and spectate for up to 10 minutes for PvP matches to end so that you can join. Apparently, there aren't enough people joining Showdowns to warrant starting a new match. Many of the PvP matches don't even fill up. 

The 30 FPS on under-powered consoles makes PvP feel buttery smooth. You should drop everything and join in on the fun, immediately. 

CH14R1

They were very generous calling this a beta, it fit more an alpha release regarding all the bugs and errors. I don’t understand how this came of the same company who released the single player.

ALifeOfMisery
7 minutes ago, CH14R1 said:

They were very generous calling this a beta, it fit more an alpha release regarding all the bugs and errors. I don’t understand how this came of the same company who released the single player.

My opinion that RDO was pushed out purely to capitalise on gold bar sales over the holidays hasn't changed.

I'm enjoying the game purely because I like the slower pace and hunting. The lack of content is staggering. GTAO released with more content over 5 years ago.

Cutter De Blanc

No. Go back to GTA Online.

Chrismads
8 hours ago, The FoolYT said:

RDO ain't a full on survival game where you can make multiple characters and such. Segregating the playerbase by PvP and PvE ain't the solution really. I want to preferably grind on PvE and then move over to PvP when ready (if the option was available) and there ain't nothing wrong with that. 

Problem is imo, that pvp sessions will turn into "PVP SESSIONS". As of now when you meet a player on the road, you never now what will happen. Is he an asshole who will explode your head right off or will he just wave silly at you.

If you allow players to switch between pvp and pve you can be 100% sure that this stranger will try to rip your head off.. because why else would he be there?

If he wanted to do missions or hunt, he'd be on a pve session to avoid having his mission or hunting trip ruined by players.

Cycling through pve and pvp would ruin the game for me. I like random pvp encounters as much as everyone else, but not all day long.

Edited by Chrismads

Gallows

I think you should not play RDO but instead keep playing GTAO

14 hours ago, Chrismads said:

Problem is imo, that pvp sessions will turn into "PVP SESSIONS". As of now when you meet a player on the road, you never now what will happen. Is he an asshole who will explode your head right off or will he just wave silly at you.

If you allow players to switch between pvp and pve you can be 100% sure that this stranger will try to rip your head off.. because why else would he be there?

If he wanted to do missions or hunt, he'd be on a pve session to avoid having his mission or hunting trip ruined by players.

Cycling through pve and pvp would ruin the game for me. I like random pvp encounters as much as everyone else, but not all day long.

Agree with this. Your character should be locked to one lobby type. Or you should have seperate progression for each lobby type, while still playing the same character.

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, Gallows said:

Agree with this. Your character should be locked to one lobby type. Or you should have seperate progression for each lobby type, while still playing the same character.

I get where you and @Chrismadsare coming from and as I've said previously in this topic, I wouldn't mind having a PvE only character.

But, IMO, separate progression would be at best wildly unpopular with the majority of players and at worst a complete and utter mess. It's not as though R* aren't prone to c*ck ups, I can just imagine PvP players logging on for some Series action, only to find that their PvP progression has been accidentally swapped with their almost untouched PvE progression.

It would be like R*, in GTAO, saying anything you buy with your (100% PvE) Criminal Mastermind $10m can't be used in public free roam.

Like I said, I get where you're coming from, but, for me, there's some kind of PvP elitism gone too far at play here. I mean, a completely, 100% PvE player in RDO will already rank up and make cash at a much slower rate than someone who takes part in the structured PvP modes and will earn significantly less gold, if any.

Also, bare in mind, a player who grinds and grinds at PvE in a private lobby for weeks, even months to get the rank and cash needed to get all the top tier toys before switching to PvP lobbies, is going to get annihilated by the players who have put the same weeks and months into PvP game modes, as they also have all the top tier toys, because PvP pays more if you're good at it and also because they've put the hours in.

I've got most of the best weapons in RDO, but if I enter a Showdown I'm going to get taken apart, which would be the case for most PvE based players in that situation. 

xDONALDxTRUMPx1
On 12/25/2018 at 6:54 AM, Gallows said:

Doesn't being locked to one lobby type defeat the purpose of ranking up and progressing through the game?

Sometimes, the point of leveling up is to have some sort of skill and weaponry over lower level players.

Gallows
18 hours ago, xDONALDxTRUMPx1 said:

Doesn't being locked to one lobby type defeat the purpose of ranking up and progressing through the game?

Sometimes, the point of leveling up is to have some sort of skill and weaponry over lower level players.

What? That makes no sense. Being locked to one lobby type simply means you can’t level safely in a PvE lobby and then go to PvP lobbies only to grief.

DrKrankenstein
On 12/27/2018 at 9:29 AM, xDONALDxTRUMPx1 said:

wich skill do you talk about? it's auto aim. there is no skill involved, its a game where you press buttons. and pressing buttons requires 0 skill.

Ektope
14 minutes ago, DrKrankenstein said:

wich skill do you talk about? it's auto aim. there is no skill involved, its a game where you press buttons. and pressing buttons requires 0 skill.

There's more than that. Timing, knowledge, movement, situational awareness. Being one step ahead.Knowing strategies and tactics, how to counter situations. That's all the experience you get from being higher levelled.

Gallows
2 minutes ago, Ektope said:

There's more than that. Timing, knowledge, movement, situational awareness. Being one step ahead.Knowing strategies and tactics, how to counter situations. That's all the experience you get from being higher levelled.

Since movement is rather pointless with lock on all it boils down to is LT, flick stick RT. Some timing is involved in the cycle of shooting and belly flopping, but generally lock on just creates shallow gameplay similar to what you’d find in a mobile game.

Edited by Gallows

Smokewood
On 12/24/2018 at 7:56 AM, Chrismads said:

I would not have an issue with this at all.

MMORPGs have been doing this for years. Take World of Warcraft for example. They have PvE and PvP (as well as RP) servers where you create a character and have to keep that character on that server forever - unless you pay to transfer.

I don't have an issue with this at all and agree it's a good solution.

Want to play on a PvP freemode session? You'll need to level a character there....

Stretch188

@Gallows , @DrKrankensteinand @Ektope are all right.

The learning curve is much shallower with auto aim, however, there is still a learning curve.

For example, I play free aim and i have two main strategies to beat auto aimers (aka literally everyone else).

Hip fire 3-4 quick revolver shots into their gut, dive to avoid the headshot and break the auto aim lock, then look to manually aim a headshot/empty my clip in their chest as i stand up, before the heat seeking bullets in their gun find my forehead lol.

Or...use a combination of cover, full on sprints and a Sterling Archer-esque ability to count how many rounds they fired, waiting for the reload and my moment to break out in the open and get close enough to use my shotty/machete to put them to sleep.

There is no doubt that these strategies are much more effective against some players than others. This to me suggests there is some skill gap, even between auto aimers.

That said...there is no doubt in my mind every aspect of this game (gun fights, player interaction...well mainly those 2 lol) would be drastically improved with the addition of free aim lobbies. Im pretty sure im the only person online who even uses hip fire atm, and its a damn shame, cause it looks BAD ASS.

Edited by Stretch188

Ektope
5 minutes ago, Stretch188 said:

Im pretty sure im the only person online who even uses hip fire atm, and its a damn shame, cause it looks BAD ASS.

I hip fire with shotguns after turning off slippery or point blank range.

Edited by Ektope

Stretch188
35 minutes ago, Ektope said:

I hip fire with shotguns after turning off slippery or point blank range.

Sorry I meant to say hip firing with sidearms, particularly any revolver. It has a really cool animation where you fan the hammer.

AmyStone
On 12/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, xDONALDxTRUMPx1 said:

As title goes, I'm into GTA Online, but I'm not fully convinced on Red Dead Online. Has it improved from when it first launched? Is the money system any better than GTA Online?

It has improved a bit. Still not much to do. I'm trying to rank up with my only aim of buying better clothes and guns but I'm getting bored with the limited activities. There's nothing fancy to save up for like in GTA. You aren't going to get blown up unexpectedly in RDO like you will in GTA from proxy mines or off radar people. Also nothing like BST. There's no hard core griefing that goes on and it's easy to stand your ground with even the best players. It's all a bit slower paced but all depends what you want from a game and because you haven't told us I don't think anyone knows how to even start convincing you.

HopalongCasidy

I am slowly creeping in.   It is ok.  Much like GTAO, if you are quick and mobile, you should be fine defending yourself, for the most part.  They need to upgrade the camp and make it a lot more user friendly.  Move your camp to a spot on the map you enjoy hunting, preferably near a town with a butcher.  

Still nowhere close to the SP experience.  

Edited by HopalongCasidy

Callahan44
1 minute ago, HopalongCasidy said:

I am slowly creeping in.   It is ok.  Much like GTAO, if you are quick and mobile, you should be fine defending yourself, for the most part.  They need to upgrade the camp and make it a lot more user friendly.  Move your camp to a spot on the map you enjoy hunting, preferably near a town with a butcher.  

What do you need the camp for? You can cook at any fire,for example in bandit camps. If you go to your camp every 10 levels to upgrade your tent youre fine. Tent upgrade is the only useful thing of the camp.

Ektope
4 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

What do you need the camp for? You can cook at any fire,for example in bandit camps. If you go to your camp every 10 levels to upgrade your tent youre fine. Tent upgrade is the only useful thing of the camp.

I barely know the locations of camp fires. It's just easy to think about going to camp to cook.

Callahan44
Just now, Ektope said:

I barely know the locations of camp fires. It's just easy to think about going to camp to cook.

I also dont know them,but i also never use tonics...and i got enough cooked meal for the next 2 months already. 

Maybe snakeoil is good with the right abilities but atm i almost never use deadeye and im fine in every gamemode.

pro24
4 hours ago, Ektope said:

still is the least skilled "shooter" game I've ever played. I'm gonna go with the guy who said it takes no skill cause it's the bottom of the barrel in terms of comparison to any game with shooting mechanics. 

Chrismads

No skill lol. How do some guys wreck most wanted lobbies with a 10.0 kd? It takes skills, just different skills than you apparently posses. Its all about being quick on the draw. I think thats very wild west

IamCourtney

I've always been a free aimer and hated on auto aim plenty but I've given it a chance for the last week or so and I must admit there's more to it than just AIM SNAP HEADSHOT, at least PvPwise. Between ability cards, finding optimal weapon ranges, timing of shots and dives etc. there's more meat on them bones than I gave credit for as an outsider looking in. This is from a strictly free roam perspective mind you, Showdown Series just isn't really my thing. I'm still hoping for Free Aim sessions but if they never come I think I can make my peace with AA and enjoy it.