1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

xDONALDxTRUMPx1

I'm a hardcore GTAOnline player, convince me why I should buy/play Red Dead Online

GenericGTAO

Um its better in every respect, load speed, less greifers, way less incentive to grief, microtransactions are somewhat reasonable, the story mode is worth your money, better world, less lag but still has a bunch...its better in almost every respect....unless you just have a complete hardons for fake supercars/military vehicles.

People are haters on here.  GTA Online is still a decent game, but its days are numbered.  I am just a sucker for the new update trophys...unlike most the GTAO players.

fejkb

I would ask you to define 'hardcore player', because it varies and depends on what are you looking for.

Vice Beach
8 hours ago, xDONALDxTRUMPx1 said:

As title goes, I'm into GTA Online, but I'm not fully convinced on Red Dead Online. Has it improved from when it first launched? Is the money system any better than GTA Online?

If you need convincing, it’s probably not for you.

kenmy13999
14 hours ago, Callahan44 said:

stuff like weapons and clothing are als not expensive in gta

What? Clothing is not expensive in gta? Lmao.. 

Callahan44
5 hours ago, kenmy13999 said:

What? Clothing is not expensive in gta? Lmao.. 

Most of it at least yeah. There are jackets you get for 150$,other stuff even cheaper. The cheapest red dead items cost like 10,which is a lot more already then 100 gta $. Not even mentioning the gold only stuff. 

Of course theres is expensive stuff in gta as well,but most of it is pretty cheap in my memory. And when gta released it already had like 5x more clothes and nothing was expensive. Gta wins.

Dr.Rosenthal

I’d say go for it.

Something tells me that those who claim RDO is a PvP slaughterfest simply tried to bite off more than they could chew at some point.

”This sucks, there’s no passive mode in this game.” - said by a salty player who tried attacking a friendly stranger and then instead got his ass kicked and now he can’t hide behind mommy’s back (which would be passive abuse). I like the level playing field. I have a bad feeling that R* will try and ”fix” it based on all the complaints, and then it’ll only get worse. Passive popping tryhards makes me want to throw up.

And, OP; there’s a lot more stuff to do in this world than in GTAO, things pop up here and there and the world feels more alive, simply put.

ThaBirdCoot

^ Yep got a bad feeling about incoming "passive mode" or something like that as well, the abuse will be huge, totally expect Rockstar to screw up.

Semaj 2JZ♢

Those of you complaining about a "passive mode" akin to GTAOs, are being puposefully ridiculous. You sound like griefers yourself. Either you tried it and got ridiculed or you got caught by it when you were griefing.

They'd literally only need to add a bit of a timer, say 10-20 seconds, where someone who comes out of the passive mode can't access their weapons for that period, but are still vulnerable.

Dr.Rosenthal

@Semaj 2JZ♢ I’m just worried that it could turn out like GTAO. But there might be ways to make it so that it can’t be abused.

If I had to choose between how it works in GTAO and how it works currently on RDO, I’d definitely choose the latter. Like I’ve said before, people seem to have gotten friendlier as of late, and I believe that’s - at least in part - thanks to there being no passive abuse.

People tend to think twice before going into battles, I do so too. It’s not worth it ruining the peace if you want to do missions, hunting or fishing. PvP fights are mainly a waste of time and making enemies hinders you from doing stuff that’ll make you money.

That said, I enjoy PvP fights as much as anyone. But I try and choose my battles and they’re not all worth it. If players know they can attack someone with no consequence, and then escape into passive mode, a lot of players will choose to do so, sadly.

ThaBirdCoot

Ridiculous about sums up your reply as well Semaj 2JZ♢...

Speaking for myself I never griefed a soul nor will I ever, just not that type of player. But just wait, you will be the first ones to complain when the real trolls use this sorta mechanic as an exploit like they did back in GTA Online. Separate/friendly lobbies is all there is to do, hoping R* realise this sooner or later.

xDONALDxTRUMPx1
3 hours ago, Sauce béarnaise said:

Ridiculous about sums up your reply as well Semaj 2JZ♢...

Speaking for myself I never griefed a soul nor will I ever, just not that type of player. But just wait, you will be the first ones to complain when the real trolls use this sorta mechanic as an exploit like they did back in GTA Online. Separate/friendly lobbies is all there is to do, hoping R* realise this sooner or later.

Honestly, R* games would be far different if the griefer/troll element was taken out of the equation. The lobbies aren't all that bad on xbox.

Back to the original topic, I'm looking into Red Dead Redemption more since all of you have provided good feedback. I'm curious to try it out. I'll look for more information about RDO before I purchase it, but I'm convinced i will buy it eventually.

Keep adding to this topic if you feel you can contribute. I think more information on RDO needs to be released in the form of player opinions.

Mister Pinkerton
On 12/21/2018 at 5:27 PM, xDONALDxTRUMPx1 said:

As title goes, I'm into GTA Online, but I'm not fully convinced on Red Dead Online. Has it improved from when it first launched? Is the money system any better than GTA Online?

If you are into microtransactions, yeah go ahead. 

Lonely-Martin
8 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

And, OP; there’s a lot more stuff to do in this world than in GTAO, things pop up here and there and the world feels more alive, simply put.

I really cannot agree with this dude. GTA:O on day one had much more to offer, and since has had over 5 years of content added. There really is no conparison.

Callahan44
6 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I really cannot agree with this dude. GTA:O on day one had much more to offer, and since has had over 5 years of content added. There really is no conparison.

You could even rob stores in gta lol. The animals surely make the world feel alive,but even hunting kinda sucks compared to sp. Without trapper i dont really search for perfect animals anymore and good kills arent that important. Its just a slaughter to make easy money.

fejkb
11 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

You could even rob stores in gta lol. The animals surely make the world feel alive,but even hunting kinda sucks compared to sp. Without trapper i dont really search for perfect animals anymore and good kills arent that important. Its just a slaughter to make easy money.

Perfect pelts can get you 200% price of good pelt. It's worth it.

Dr.Rosenthal
37 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Absolutely, regarding "jobs" (races, deathmatches, missions, versus missions, survivals etc) - you're absolutely right. GTAO had more to offer and still has, and RDO looks extremely bleak in comparison. But what I was getting at was more along the lines of; if you happen to be standing on a random spot in GTAO there's not much going on. At most you can shoot a few NPC's, but there's not much life in the world itself. So while RDO doesn't have the same range of jobs or activities to start up, there's more of a steady stream of things that you can engage with. A normal session for me has me picking some herbs that I need in order to make remedies, and then I might see some deer or squirrels and so I do some hunting. Then - "Oh! Here's that stranger's cabin, let's start up a mission while we're here.". You get the point. So yeah, I agree, and yes I am also disappointed with the lack of missions/jobs and the lack of diversity in RDO - no doubt about it, they should've added a lot more from the start. One thing I'm pleased with though are the Stranger missions - maybe it's much thanks to me riding with a good crew, but they remind me of Business Battles in a good way (excitement from the PvP aspect, while not having the same risk for loss as Cargo sale missions, for example), and there are quite many of them and a lot of different kinds. They also pay fairly well. Still, we need more missions that take place inside interiors and I don't understand why R* are so reluctant to make missions inside buildings..

On the contrary, what GTAO is really lacking is emergent stuff, random stuff going on in the streets that aren't tied to missions. Hitch-hikers, random encounters, hunting, selling drugs to NPC's, steal a taxi and drive NPC's around - those are all things that should be in GTAO to make that world feel more alive. But that game is 5 years old and it's as much alive as game worlds could be back then, I guess. And also, driving a taxi around could've been fun a couple of years ago, but now someone would just chase after you on an Oppressor and blow you up. Yeah, GTAO free roam is basically a huge deathmatch nowadays as we all know, not much in there for the roleplayers..

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Callahan44
1 minute ago, fejkb said:

Perfect pelts can get you 200% price of good pelt. It's worth it.

Sure its worth going for perfect pelts,but if you ruin them its no big deal. In sp good pelts were basically useless.

fejkb
2 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

Sure its worth going for perfect pelts,but if you ruin them its no big deal. In sp good pelts were basically useless.

Yea, I guess I misunderstood. I'm with you on need for trapper in RDO. It would be something else to do. Even if it would be like ~50 perfect racoon pelts for a hat (ofc they gonna highball prices)

MCMXCII

Check back in six months or up to a year from now if you are not liking what you are seeing through gameplay videos on YouTube. The online is still in beta and they are still figuring stuff out. It's rather bare-bones at the moment compared to other online games out there but they most definitely left room for improving upon. It's still loads of fun in my opinion.

Edited by MCMXCII

kenmy13999
18 hours ago, Callahan44 said:

Most of it at least yeah. There are jackets you get for 150$,other stuff even cheaper. The cheapest red dead items cost like 10,which is a lot more already then 100 gta $. Not even mentioning the gold only stuff. 

Of course theres is expensive stuff in gta as well,but most of it is pretty cheap in my memory. And when gta released it already had like 5x more clothes and nothing was expensive. Gta wins.

I wouldn't call it cheap if it costs +$10 mill to buy all the clothes from one update. Think it was Smugglers Run that broke the $10 mill barrier with buying every clothing item from one update/dlc. 

It might be more expensive in RDO if you compare how much money you can make in one hour vs pricing but that still doesn't mean it's not expensive in gtao ;)

Lonely-Martin
8 hours ago, MCMXCII said:

Check back in six months or up to a year from now if you are not liking what you are seeing through gameplay videos on YouTube. The online is still in beta and they are still figuring stuff out. It's rather bare-bones at the moment compared to other online games out there but they most definitely left room for improving upon. It's still loads of fun in my opinion.

My complaints come from game experience here, I don't watch YouTube crap to make an opinion, lol. I make my own based off of what I learn from the game.

The idea that I should pop back in 6 months to a year is quite ridiculous too. I bought the game to play now, not start up in a years time, lol. Of course the game should be bigger/more varied, but in 6-12 months, other games will come out too. As said by others, it's easier to retain players than convince them to return after bad first impressions. ;)

Edited by Lonely-Martin

R3CON

I find GTA Online to be way more fun than Red Dead Online because the latter is still too bare bones and limited. Bare bones in terms of content like more missions, different game modes, more races, survivals, captures, freemode events, etc. GTA Online has five years worth of content added in to the game and no matter how stale it is, it's still far more variety than Red Dead. The showdowns are fun tho, but GTA also has deathmatches, adversary modes, stand your ground and more. 

Hunting and fishing is fine but it gets tedious and prices in Red Dead are quite a bit higher than they should be. In addition, more than a few things are locked behind gold and payouts from activities are on the low side. When you look at the sum of it's parts the economy here is just as problematic as GTA is, which makes sense considering the profits go to the same place no matter what poison you pick. 

I say it's limited because there's no passive mode and no separate lobbies so you have to embrace PvP at all times, literally. Sure there are moments where players leave you alone, but that's always at the mercy of the whims of whoever you're passing at the time. It's never your decision whether or not you're fighting other players. You're always exposed and always forced to participate, run away or change sessions and start over again. 

The world of Red Dead is more crisp graphically and the NPCs are smarter with more options on how you approach them. The downside is the lack of a strong law enforcement and player bounty system. You also can't sell and store horses you find in the wild like you could cars in GTA. 

Overall, I think Red Dead Online could be great but it's not right now. It's just merely decent, at best. Story mode is a masterpiece, I will say, but the multiplayer leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't have enough content, it's still very grindy and it's forced PvP by default. A love of the setting and base mechanics of Red Dead (core management, older weapons, horses) is basically the main reason to choose it over GTA at such an early juncture. It needs more time in the oven. 

Edited by R3CON

Lonely-Martin
8 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Absolutely, regarding "jobs"...

(Snipped for space)

I don't agree with all that, but appreciate your efforts and so long as you enjoy it dude, that's all that matters. I don't enjoy PvP enough to appreciate it as I'm forced to play it. (If and when I play).

It's too much focused on one playstyle and considering they said it's a game for all, having to wait for enough gold to sell to get my gameplay style added to, possibly, is a bit harsh.

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Dr.Rosenthal

@Lonely-Martin Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

Lonely-Martin
7 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

@Lonely-Martin Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

Don't get me wrong, the game has huge potential and I personally am willing to wait and see where it goes. Just if it's 5 months like RDR last for friendly sessions, maybe something else will grab my attention is all.

Only so many hours a day, lol. Can't play all the games I like as it is, ha-ha. :)

rusbeckia
20 hours ago, Callahan44 said:

Well.. then you certainly have no idea how to hunt efficiently. The hunt for perfect animals also adds to the experience imo. Maybe it appeared as „slaughter to make easy money“ for you, but that‘s just what you make of it.

lennymuhboi

Don't vote for Trump and GTAO exceeds RDRO until it gets more content imo.

MostlyPonies

Money system's not really any better. You can buy rank-restricted items for gold, which is nice because they've been giving me gold just for playing the beta, but otherwise it seems unnecessary. Like you can pay 1 gold bar to get something right now that you'll unlock in the next rank anyway. Gun customization requires gold bars. And there's nowhere to exchange in-game cash for gold or vice versa.

PvP is worse than GTA Online, because there's no passive mode. Someone has to kill you 3 times, then you can parley and you can't kill eachother for 10 minutes, but changing sessions is probably easier. If you're hunting for the perfect pelt, you better make sure there's no one in the area and no one in the town you sell it to. I've had pelts on my horse lost because of people killing it.

There's not much to do in free roam. Not many activities or missions since it's still in beta. Still, I've had fun in the game, that aspect is the same as GTA Online.

hotrats773
On 12/21/2018 at 1:08 PM, IKilledMyHorseAgain said:

IMO GTA has a horrible money system and the main reason i never turn it anymore.  While things seem kinda high in RD, i dont think it even compares to how much everything is in GTA.   

Just came for lolz @ your username. Nicely played.

@xDONALDxTRUMPx1 I am a hardcore GTA player as well (+1000 lvl, etc). I am not a PvP player by any stretch. In fact I suck at it. In RDO though, I feel like I have half a chance. TBH, I haven't found the PvP out of control. The map is so huge, it nearly impossible to get into a skirmish. I think, right now, it's the best of both worlds. When PvE servers are available, it will get better.

Chrismads

I don't mind pve servers. But characters going to pve servers, should only be able to play on pve servers. So people dont just go pve to grind and then pvp to grief

Edit. And if you can't earn it on pvp servers you dont deserve to use it on pvp servers

Edited by Chrismads