3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Talisman_83

Ability Card Loadouts

Dr.Rosenthal

I shuffled my cards around last night, because I want Slippery Bastard Tier 3 among a couple others.

I can't f*cking play with that card, lol. Or, well, I guess I can but it's sure going to require some getting used to, and a whole different approach on my behalf.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Talisman_83
1 hour ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

I shuffled my cards around last night, because I want Slippery Bastard Tier 3 among a couple others.

I can't f*cking play with that card, lol. Or, well, I guess I can but it's sure going to require some getting used to, and a whole different approach on my behalf.

It's definitely one that takes getting used to.

I've found it to be quite an effective card if you want to get away from a battle or if you're travelling through a warzone and need some protection.

Only used it once in a straight up fight, ended with me tackling the guy, hogtieing him and shotgunning him.

DonnieVega
1 hour ago, Talisman_83 said:

It's definitely one that takes getting used to.

I've found it to be quite an effective card if you want to get away from a battle or if you're travelling through a warzone and need some protection.

Only used it once in a straight up fight, ended with me tackling the guy, hogtieing him and shotgunning him.

And it's always amusing having noobs send you messages calling you a hacker lol.

ThaBirdCoot

^ I use slippery bastard a lot, the reactions are indeed priceless sometimes.

Edited by ThaBirdCoot

Zoop_Leroy

I often forget that I have Slippery equipped when I activate dead eye.  Other players must think I'm a noob when I miss 5 shots with my Lancaster.

Zoop_Leroy

I've been using a "medic" loadout which includes Tier 3 Quite an Inspiration and Take the Pain Away.  Every 5 seconds of dead eye fills a quarter bar of health for the entire team (same regen rate as Cold Blooded), which is handy when you're playing with low ranks.  A posse with 1 Inspiration, 1 Focus Fire, and the rest S&S or Slippery Bastards would be almost invincible.

TheLordMarvel

Ok so I know next to nothing about these. Some help would be pretty dope.

Which would be good for someone who exclusively plays Showdown series modes (Name your weapon, most wanted, etc) - I'm always on the hunt, moving all the time so the slow and steady one won't work I guess. 

Unsure which ones would be the best ones to go with tbh. I only have the paint one. Which suuuucks. Lol

Talisman_83
1 hour ago, TheLordMarvel said:

Which would be good for someone who exclusively plays Showdown series modes (Name your weapon, most wanted, etc) - I'm always on the hunt, moving all the time so the slow and steady one won't work I guess. 

Unsure which ones would be the best ones to go with tbh. I only have the paint one. Which suuuucks. Lol

I think the general consensus is that the following cards are worth investing in:

Slow and Steady (I know you say you're always on the move, but this card CAN come in handy)

Slippery Bastard

Unblinking Eye

Peak Condition

Never Without One

to name a few. These will give you some level of defensive and offensive measures against attackers.

The trick is how to pair them and use them effectively. As has been mentioned, simply owning these cards doesn't make you into a superpower.

You need to learn how to use them as well as use certain weapons whilst having them equipped plus your surroundings.

It all comes with time and experience. I'm by no means an expert, but I think I know a fair amount to get by.

Get these cards and start using them. Jump into some showdowns and see how you fare with them activated.

Keep doing research, look at what the cards offer and how they can benefit you.

Edited by Talisman_83

TheLordMarvel

I'll take a look into those when I can! Thanks. :)@Talisman_83

Ektope
7 hours ago, TheLordMarvel said:

Coming from someone who played a LOT of Showdown and went Rank 400+, I used:

Slow and Steady III / Slippery Bastard III in Most Wanted against hard opponents

Eye For An Eye III

Never Without One III / Strange Medicine III in Hostile Territory

Unblinking Eye III

Nothing is more annoying to people resorting to Express Explosives, drinking and spamming tonics 24/7 like addicts yet they still can't auto aim you. But you can blast their whole HP away with Express Explosive or Shotgun. One person told me to stop using Slippery Bastard III. Another would chuck Dynamite at his feet when I came for him.

Strange Medicine III is more of a spawn-killing health regeneration. So when I'm going up against many players spawning, I get shot and need to keep regenerating quickly to score 30 to 90 kills.

Those are the six cards, I used.

If you choose to spam tonics which I wouldn't recommend because they are a HUGE money sink and become an addict too, then you may not need Eye For An Eye III. You could have Winning Streak III if players don't die in one shot. Or Strange Medicine III heal when you deal damage.

Just because you're always going to be on the move, it doesn't mean Slow and Steady III isn't suitable for you. There'll be many point when you need to stop in your track. I had the same mindset as well. But it's more of... running, see someone in radar proximity, stop, turn on dead eye, kill, turn off, run, stop, turn on dead eye, kill... covers as well.

It would help a lot if you watched an experienced player at least Rank 300+ on YouTube, Twitch or something like that. For their perspective and how they play. Then putting into your own gameplay. I've been winning matches and killing loads as a low level. And with sh*tty cards. I actually found out that experience and knowledge matters more than cards.

6 hours ago, Talisman_83 said:

I think the general consensus is that the following cards are worth investing in:

Slow and Steady (I know you say you're always on the move, but this card CAN come in handy)

Slippery Bastard

Unblinking Eye

Peak Condition

Never Without One

to name a few. These will give you some level of defensive and offensive measures against attackers.

The trick is how to pair them and use them effectively. As has been mentioned, simply owning these cards doesn't make you into a superpower.

You need to learn how to use them as well as use certain weapons whilst having them equipped plus your surroundings.

It all comes with time and experience. I'm by no means an expert, but I think I know a fair amount to get by.

Get these cards and start using them. Jump into some showdowns and see how you fare with them activated.

Keep doing research, look at what the cards offer and how they can benefit you.

Peak Condition III will be sh*t in Tall Trees. The stamina bar drains below 75% for most of the time. And if most people will get one shot headshot, then Peak Condition's damage bonus seems pointless. Sure, I've used this before with Focus Fire III for Shotgun. But it's not worth it.

Talisman_83
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

Peak Condition III will be sh*t in Tall Trees. The stamina bar drains below 75% for most of the time. And if most people will get one shot headshot, then Peak Condition's damage bonus seems pointless. Sure, I've used this before with Focus Fire III for Shotgun. But it's not worth it.

Then use Peak Condition in freemode like I do and don't sprint. It's quite the opposite of sh*t.

Edited by Talisman_83

TheLordMarvel

Much to think about! Thank you @Ektope

GenericGTAO

When I use slippery, which isnt that often, I have fight another day, unblinking eye, and never without one.  I think Landons patience would be good, but I havent gotten it just yet, so I use never without one. Because I rarely use slippery, I will get Landons patience after I get my explosive and dynamite arrows.

Right now, I use slow and steady, peak condition, never without one,  and unblinking eye.  I use the posse setting to keep my hat on after I get the person(s).  I spam potent miracle tonics, potent health/snake oils/ minty big game meats.  Its nearly unstoppable.  When I get express explosvie, griefers wont even be a problem. 

The best part is an unprepared griefer...someone who simply buys heathcures/moonshines and tobaccos/snake oils.  Is woefully unprepared.

Edited by GenericGTAO

Talisman_83

I wish we could have card loadouts and switch between them depending on what you need that particular moment. For instance;

Loadout A - Slow and Steady, Unblinking Eye, Peak Condition, Strange Medicine

Loadout B - Slippery Bastard, Unblinking Eye, Of Single Purpose, To Fight Another Day

Loadout C - Focus Fire, Horseman, Peak Condition, Never Without One

Starting off with A for general PVP, but you then come across a Slow and Steady user and three of his friends. Feeling outnumbered or outmatched, switch to B and either make a fast getaway or try to combat their SAS with Slippery and melee them. You travel through Valentine but its a warzone and don't want to get off your horse, so you switch to C and power through.

Ryan5252

I've recently been trying Slippery Bastard and Hunting knife in Name Your Weapon FFA in Tall Trees. You can run straight up to players and knife them. Tall Trees is only map it will work relatively consistently as it's a large map. You really need to pick your moment through. If there are two players in a battle wait until one has been killed and take out the weakened survivor. If there are alot of players nearby you will only end up with a shotgun to back of the skull.

It's the only way I find this map any way bearable and the points really add up in no time. 

éX-Driver

Anyone have a comprehensive list of what the tier upgrades do for each card? I’ve yet to find any explanation as to why I should upgrade any of them.

also; does slippery bastard turn off auto aim all the time or only when your deadeye is active?

Ektope
30 minutes ago, éX-Driver said:

Anyone have a comprehensive list of what the tier upgrades do for each card? I’ve yet to find any explanation as to why I should upgrade any of them.

also; does slippery bastard turn off auto aim all the time or only when your deadeye is active?

When it's activated.

Ryan5252
48 minutes ago, éX-Driver said:

If you select 'Upgrade' on each card it will tell you what each tier of the card does. 

éX-Driver
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

When it's activated.

58 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

If you select 'Upgrade' on each card it will tell you what each tier of the card does. 

Ah, cheers lads

IamCourtney

Been rolling with this as a general purpose Free Roam loadout:

Slow & Steady III

Cold Blooded III

Winning Streak III

Never Without One III

S&S has been my go-to Dead Eye card since I unlocked it, it's just very simple and versatile which is what I like. Good for both reacting to sudden attack and allowing more aggressive attacks on my part knowing I can tank a hit or two. I use Slippery 1 sometimes too but I haven't upgraded it yet because I'm still holding out foolish hope for the slim chance of free aim servers someday...

Cold Blooded vs. Strange Medicine is a hot debate and I like both (I have both fully upgraded) but I get more out of CB most of the time. A lot of my fights tend to be long range rifle engagements over in one or two hits, protecting or attacking mission objectives or fending off random grief, so I get more out CB's higher healing per kill as well as the unpenalized regen. I'm usually not in enough prolonged enemy contact for Strange to really pay off.

Winning Streak is just a solid as hell card with no downsides, but I'm not sure if Peak Condition or Landon's patience are better. I've tried all of them and honestly, for my purposes, I can't see much difference in most cases. I'm sticking with Winning Streak mainly because it pays off nicely against other S&S users, which I'm running into more and more.

Never without One is just too good not to have. I look at it as an insurance policy in card form. Like S&S, it's both a strong reactionary defensive tool while also allowing me to make risky moves knowing I have that one shot's grace from instant death. The reduced damage is a nice bonus, though I don't really have any data on how much of a difference it makes.

Edited by IamCourtney

Rammer2k

Looks like S&S, and Peak Condition are what most people have equipped, including me, which means finding that right combination for the other 2 slots when in PVP is crucial. Unfortunately for me, I only have 3 slots unlocked, and the price to upgrade these things is ridiculous.  But, I'm usually roaming around in New Austin, or away from the big towns so I don't have to deal with many trolls too often either.

We Are Ninja
16 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Been rolling with this as a general purpose Free Roam loadout:

Slow & Steady III

Cold Blooded III

Winning Streak III

Never Without One III

S&S has been my go-to Dead Eye card since I unlocked it, it's just very simple and versatile which is what I like. Good for both reacting to sudden attack and allowing more aggressive attacks on my part knowing I can tank a hit or two. I use Slippery 1 sometimes too but I haven't upgraded it yet because I'm still holding out foolish hope for the slim chance of free aim servers someday...

Cold Blooded vs. Strange Medicine is a hot debate and I like both (I have both fully upgraded) but I get more out of CB most of the time. A lot of my fights tend to be long range rifle engagements over in one or two hits, protecting or attacking mission objectives or fending off random grief, so I get more out CB's higher healing per kill as well as the unpenalized regen. I'm usually not in enough prolonged enemy contact for Strange to really pay off.

Winning Streak is just a solid as hell card with no downsides, but I'm not sure if Peak Condition or Landon's patience are better. I've tried all of them and honestly, for my purposes, I can't see much difference in most cases. I'm sticking with Winning Streak mainly because it pays off nicely against other S&S users, which I'm running into more and more.

Never without One is just too good not to have. I look at it as an insurance policy in card form. Like S&S, it's both a strong reactionary defensive tool while also allowing me to make risky moves knowing I have that one shot's grace from instant death. The reduced damage is a nice bonus, though I don't really have any data on how much of a difference it makes.

Cosigned 100%. Especially the part about CB vs SM. I was all about Strange Medicine until I realized that fights are over before you can siphon an appreciable amount of health...

EDIT: Unless you're fighting a super tank-y Teddy Brown-esque boss (or player) that you can't put down quickly.

Edited by We Are Ninja

Van_Hellsing

Peak condition and Winning Streak do not stack it seems. Horseman does with either of them. Horseman & peak condition and the bolt-action rifle with express ammo was in many cases a one body shot kill. The downfall of horseman is of course that your horse can get killed. 

Strange Medicine adds only 1/8 of health, with the health regen penalty. So I favor Cold Blooded if you are up against a hostile posse. 

Talisman_83
6 hours ago, Van_Hellsing said:

Peak condition and Winning Streak do not stack it seems. Horseman does with either of them. Horseman & peak condition and the bolt-action rifle with express ammo was in many cases a one body shot kill. The downfall of horseman is of course that your horse can get killed. 

Strange Medicine adds only 1/8 of health, with the health regen penalty. So I favor Cold Blooded if you are up against a hostile posse. 

Thanks Van. I suspected as much, but have noticed a lot of high-level players running Peak and Streak (see what I did there?) and wondered if there was no use to it.

Ektope
5 minutes ago, Talisman_83 said:

Thanks Van. I suspected as much, but have noticed a lot of high-level players running Peak and Streak (see what I did there?) and wondered if there was no use to it.

I'm guessing they do that because they think they'll deal a lot more damage against Slow and Steady III, while drinking tonics themselves.

Ryan5252

@Ektope what do you think is best? Focus Fire or S&S (both lvl III)

I generally use pump or semi auto shotgun for most Showdowns. I've noticed with most people using S&S the only way to combat it is with shotgun up close with added hit of Focus Fire. When it's two people with S&S it generally comes down to who can get off enough shots first or who had most health to begin with. What do you think?

For larger maps like Most Wanted/Hostile Territory I use slippery to move around in the open and bolt action with express.

Edit: my passives are eye for an eye, unblinking eye & NWO. I rarely change them. 

Edit edit: I really wish they'd add a feature to change our card loadouts before matches same way we can with weapons. 

Edited by Ryan5252

Ektope
4 minutes ago, Ryan5252 said:

@Ektope what do you think is best? Focus Fire or S&S (both lvl III)

I generally use pump or semi auto shotgun for most Showdowns. I've noticed with most people using S&S the only way to combat it is with shotgun up close with added hit of Focus Fire. When it's two people with S&S it generally comes down to who can get off enough shots first or who had most health to begin with. What do you think?

For larger maps like Most Wanted/Hostile Territory I use slippery to move around in the open and bolt action with express.

I don't think. I know Slow and Steady III is better than Focus Fire III in Showdown. Reason why is because of people going cheeky with Cattleman Revolver or Carbine Repeater headshot against you, in Name Your Weapon (Free For All) and (Teams).

To kill someone with Shotgun while they're in Slow and Steady III, you don't even need Focus Fire III. Just switch on Dead Eye and shot their centre mass. Or hip fire Semi-Auto Shotgun. It should kill 'em very fast.

Ryan5252
3 minutes ago, Ektope said:

I don't think. I know Slow and Steady III is better than Focus Fire III in Showdown.

That's mean told lol. 

Cheers 😃

Van_Hellsing
4 hours ago, Talisman_83 said:

Some abilities do not stack. See the vid at 6:30. With Landon's Patience it does. 

Edited by Van_Hellsing