3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Talisman_83

Ability Card Loadouts

Van_Hellsing

Can someone confirm that Landon's patience works on the first shot? And not on the second shot after 15 seconds? 

Much obliged. 

DarksunDaFirst
On 12/21/2018 at 12:57 AM, Happy Hunter said:

Oh yes.

I mostly use that for dead eye, and sometimes slippery bastard too (good for melee).

Unblinking eye is good, since your dead eye is usually a bigger deal than these perk cards anyway. I also have peak condition, and one that makes my health regenerate faster.

I may swap some for more cards that boost my dead eye, if any are worth it.

This is why I've tried to perfect my headshots with the bolt action and the volcanic.  They both have ample stopping power to overcome this, but the volcanic has the ability to repeatedly fire.  

•—•
1 hour ago, Van_Hellsing said:

Can someone confirm that Landon's patience works on the first shot? And not on the second shot after 15 seconds? 

Much obliged. 

It works on second shot. After you shoot first shot. You need to wait at least 15 seconds. After 15 seconds passed by. Then shoot for bigger damage.

Van_Hellsing
54 minutes ago, Ektope said:

It works on second shot. After you shoot first shot. You need to wait at least 15 seconds. After 15 seconds passed by. Then shoot for bigger damage.

So a waste of money. Most confrontations are over in one shot. 

But thanks anyway. 

•—•
18 minutes ago, Van_Hellsing said:

But thanks anyway. 

You could fire the first shot much earlier. Then the second shot whenever the confrontation happens.

IamCourtney
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

Oh wow, really? I would have never thought this... do we know if there's a maximum limit on how long the 15 second bonus damage lasts? If I fire a round into the air upon login and shoot someone 20 minutes later, am I getting the bonus or does it reset itself relatively quickly sort of like how guns tend to uncock themselves after a while?

•—•
8 minutes ago, IamCourtney said:

Oh wow, really? I would have never thought this... do we know if there's a maximum limit on how long the 15 second bonus damage lasts? If I fire a round into the air upon login and shoot someone 20 minutes later, am I getting the bonus or does it reset itself relatively quickly sort of like how guns tend to uncock themselves after a while?

I would imagine they last infinitely. But if fired another shot before the 15 seconds cooldown. Then it probably resets the timer.

miahus
2 hours ago, Van_Hellsing said:

But thanks anyway. 

Not waste of money. It might not be good for lobbies pvp, but free roam pvp it works great for sniping load outs7.

BearChow

I feel that the slow and steady card is little too op, I feel in order to have a better balance with in all dead eye cards, slow and steady need to be a little nerfed. Dont get me wrong its best card, but I feel the whole community will use it therefore make rest cards absolute. 

Talisman_83
1 minute ago, BearChow said:

I feel that the slow and steady card is little too op, I feel in order to have a better balance with in all dead eye cards, slow and steady need to be a little nerfed. Dont get me wrong its best card, but I feel the whole community will use it therefore make rest cards absolute. 

It can be countered through a variety of means - bolt action headshot with express ammo, slippery bastard with melee kill, shotgun.

I used it in combat recently and my attacker used the first method, so I had to switch up my tactics to defeat him.

It's only as OP as your opponent allows it to be, just like any other card.

BearChow
1 hour ago, Talisman_83 said:

It can be countered through a variety of means - bolt action headshot with express ammo, slippery bastard with melee kill, shotgun.

I used it in combat recently and my attacker used the first method, so I had to switch up my tactics to defeat him.

It's only as OP as your opponent allows it to be, just like any other card.

Perhaps you are right. Just feels every one will use that card since it's easy to use. 

ALifeOfMisery

Slight bump.

So far I'm I'm using Slow and Steady II, Horseman III and Peak Condition II and I'm at level 33.

I figured as PvP is usually a last resort for me, if I have no choice but to go through someone on my way to a butcher with a fully loaded horse, I should make myself as hard to kill as possible while also being able to hit as hard as possible.

As I'm always on horseback Peak Condition and Horseman seemed to make sense as far as hitting hard go while the drawback of not being able to run when using Slow and Steady gets negated by being on horseback but I still get the advantage of taking more punishment.

I'm planning on adding Never Without One to my load out when I reach the level to unlock it. Same goes for Slippery Bastard so I can swap and change between that and Slow and Steady depending on whether I'm planning on a quick get away or a shootout.

Can any of you more seasoned PvPers recommend anything else I might have overlooked?

BearChow
2 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

Slight bump.

So far I'm I'm using Slow and Steady II, Horseman III and Peak Condition II and I'm at level 33.

I figured as PvP is usually a last resort for me, if I have no choice but to go through someone on my way to a butcher with a fully loaded horse, I should make myself as hard to kill as possible while also being able to hit as hard as possible.

As I'm always on horseback Peak Condition and Horseman seemed to make sense as far as hitting hard go while the drawback of not being able to run when using Slow and Steady gets negated by being on horseback but I still get the advantage of taking more punishment.

I'm planning on adding Never Without One to my load out when I reach the level to unlock it. Same goes for Slippery Bastard so I can swap and change between that and Slow and Steady depending on whether I'm planning on a quick get away or a shootout.

Can any of you more seasoned PvPers recommend anything else I might have overlooked?

There is a really nice megathread on reddit.  It has nice pvp  card layouts, and many other great tips.

2 minutes ago, BearChow said:

There is a really nice megathread on reddit.  It has nice pvp  card layouts, and many other great tips.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/RedDeadOnline/comments/a0zukx/megathread_red_dead_online_tips

FreeMaxB585

Some of them are so useless its funny. Not sure who would pay for the ones where you only do a good amount of more damage if you wait 15 seconds between shooting. like who the hell would pick that

•—•
8 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

Some of them are so useless its funny. Not sure who would pay for the ones where you only do a good amount of more damage if you wait 15 seconds between shooting. like who the hell would pick that

People who want to one-shot.

FreeMaxB585
Just now, Ektope said:

People who want to one-shot.

right but if you miss then its useless compared to other ones. even people who one shot in a game with enemies all over will fire more than once every 15 seconds

•—•
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

right but if you miss then its useless compared to other ones. even people who one shot in a game with enemies all over will fire more than once every 15 seconds

It still won't be useless. The only situation I would use that card, is if I wanna play ranged game with sniper. And maybe on a single target. But if there's many enemies to kill, then that card won't be that useful here. Or... taking out a whole posse could be fun from a mile away. They just gotta make every shot count.

Edited by Ektope

TheShift

grabbed some info from online ..put it all in one read  

gNxo7Ng.jpg

*Lola

Slow and steady 2 (change it around sometimes paint it black 2)

Winning streak 2 

Strange medicine 2 (change it around sometimes peak condition 2/eye for an eye 2/come back stronger 2)

The unblinking eye 2

DarkFlame588

Paint it Black

Horseman

Peak Condition

Unblinking Eye (when last slot unlocked)

I mainly stick to free roam and don't get into much pvp, pve is the main focus and stacking damage abilities with PIB quickly dispatches AI.

When I do happen to get into a player skirmish, the goal is to stay out of autoaim range.

Snipe from horseback.

Horseback hit and runs just outside autoaim, using paint it black to load them with lead.

JuliuszMCMXCVII

Am I the only one using Focus Fire here? It yields extremly good results when paired with shotguns. Name Your Weapon is a piece of cake with this ability. I'm getting MVP basically each and every time I play this mode. I can kill enemies with one body shot with double-barrel from really crazy distances. I don't quite get why slow and steady is so popular. Dead eye seems to be most useful in close range combat at least for me.

wehweh01
On 1/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, JuliuszMCMXCVII said:

Am I the only one using Focus Fire here? It yields extremly good results when paired with shotguns. Name Your Weapon is a piece of cake with this ability. I'm getting MVP basically each and every time I play this mode. I can kill enemies with one body shot with double-barrel from really crazy distances. I don't quite get why slow and steady is so popular. Dead eye seems to be most useful in close range combat at least for me.

Are you using any special ability cards to boost your loadout? I tried testing Focus Fire with The Short Game (both rank 3) and neither of them seem to stack. Gonna keep testing out other cards. I'll eventually own them all.

BUT THE BENZ
On 1/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, BUT THE BENZ said:

I'm rank 22 now, and so far I have not done anything with ability cards...aside from picking one in the beginning. but I feel the time has come to get a little into it.

been relatively satisfied with PAINT IT BLACK,  tier1, it does what I need it to do. But I guess you can do so much more with those cards

well 2 weeks later, currently rank 31 with 2 more passive cards. all cards on tier1, and I think it will stay that way. aside from the fact that it would cost a LOT of money to upgrade the cards, I do NOT want the "advantage".

all I needed/wanted really was PIB, to be able to mark enemies (would be cool if I could pick targets myself though) so the rest is just "help" I don't need/want in the end.

for now, no more spending on cards!

•—•
4 hours ago, wehweh01 said:

Are you using any special ability cards to boost your loadout? I tried testing Focus Fire with The Short Game (both rank 3) and neither of them seem to stack. Gonna keep testing out other cards. I'll eventually own them all.

Short game barely makes a difference for shotguns. But does for fist fights.

Stretch188

For some reason I feel like short game isnt just a flat distance modifier, but has more to do with how close you are relative to the range of your weapon.

I.e.: 10 feet away, shotgun equipped, has a 10 foot effective range - short game doesnt activate.

10 feet away, springfield equipped, has a 50 foot effective range. Short game activates.

(Those range numbers are just placeholders to illustrate my theory not the weapons actual range.)

Dr.Rosenthal

I’ve heard Slow and Steady is supposed to be OP, but I’m using Focus Fire since day one... didn’t use Dead Eye much at all at first but since I upgraded FF to tier 3 I’ve really noticed how much of a difference it makes. Since I’m Posse leader I like to activate it for the whole team when we engage with enemies, and just let it stay active until we’ve disposed of all enemies.

But I sometimes use it only for myself in short bursts as well (usually for one shot, it makes the shooting more impactful and it feels really nice).

My other cards are Horseman since I’m quite an aggressive player who likes to move around a lot and flank my enemies, Never Without One (doesn’t need an explanation), and Winning Streak.

I’m most unsure about the last one as it doesn’t seem to make that much of a difference but I’ll try it out on tier 3 and make up my mind after. I’m definitely planning on getting different loadouts in the future, and I’m especially looking to the ones that increase Dead Eye or lessens Dead Eye drain.

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

BUT THE BENZ
On 1/16/2019 at 12:31 PM, BUT THE BENZ said:

well 2 weeks later, currently rank 31 with 2 more passive cards. all cards on tier1, and I think it will stay that way. aside from the fact that it would cost a LOT of money to upgrade the cards, I do NOT want the "advantage".

all I needed/wanted really was PIB, to be able to mark enemies (would be cool if I could pick targets myself though) so the rest is just "help" I don't need/want in the end.

for now, no more spending on cards!

well, 3 weeks later or so, currently rank 45, I've bought a few more cards. all maxed out on tier1 by now. I am somewhat tempted to upgrade some of them...gotta stay strong and not do it though!

bought:

-eye for an eye

-horseman

-strange medicine

-slow and steady

the only card I really like of those is EYE FOR AN EYE. headshots net you some dead eye refill, legit in my book!

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

BearChow
3 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

well, 3 weeks later or so, currently rank 45, I've bought a few more cards. all maxed out on tier1 by now. I am somewhat tempted to upgrade some of them...gotta stay strong and not do it though!

bought:

-eye for an eye

-horseman

-strange medicine

-slow and steady

the only card I really like of those is EYE FOR AN EYE. headshots net you some dead eye refill, legit in my book!

Good choices, but in my opinion the unblinking eye is one of best cards that goes well with slow and steady. It makes you be in dead eye for every long time. 

The eye for an eye is ok, but no matter what you will still get dead eye if you hit in head with out eye for an eye card. No point of having too much dead eye if you can't use it.

I'm rank 48 and currently using:

Slow and steady rank 3

Unblinking eye rank 3

Strange medicine rank 3

Cold blooded rank 3

I find my self really hard to kill due to health regen.  I use cold blooded to off set the slow health regen from strange medicine. 

Talisman_83

Can anyone confirm if Peak Condition and Winning Streak stack?

I have a feeling passive damage cards don't.