4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Worst GTA Antagonist

FlexiveFowl

FlexiveFowl

Out of all the Antagonist(s) in the GTA series, which one did you hate the most? This could be an antagonist that was poorly written, no clear motivation, weak/non-threatening, bland, forgettable, etc. It doesn't have to be a main antagonist, it can be anyone who had a villain role. 

For example, Massimo Torini the main antagonist of LCS, I disliked him because he got no character depth, was in the game for only two missions, and wasn't even an enemy of the protagonist. 

• Like 3
TheSantader25

Other than Torini, we have Stretch and Wei Cheng. If they were developed more they could be good. But they don't deserve to be a main target in the last mission. Kinda funny that I even find Doctor Isiah Friedlander a better antagonist than these two. 

Alongside that We have two brilliant antagonists who had wasted potential despite being brilliant characters. Martin Madrazo and Ray Bulgarin. 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 8
Algonquin Assassin

I'm going to throw a curve ball and say Pegorino. Stretch and Wei Cheng are obvious choices, but it's been done to death.

As much as I love GTA IV's story I abhore whoever made the decision for Bulgarin to be withheld for TBOGT. Pegorino himself isn't a bad character, but he's a weak antagonist compared to Dimitri. Bulgarin had history with Niko however the Dimitri/Bulgarin partnership fizzles out and it's never mentioned again after the diamonds story.

Pegorino just feels like an unnecessary substitute to justify having another ending, but Bulgarin would've fitted so much better. It's really the only gripe I have against GTA IV's story. One fantastic antagonist and one weak one. Talk about bittersweet.

• Like 10
Grotti Vigilante

Massimo Torino has little development at all in the story of LCS, so he qualifies as a bad antagonist. I can’t even remember what he done and I’m not going to be surprised if people ask who. Another qualifier for me is Jerry Martinez. His motivations are so badly established. Why did he backstab Vic and Phil? Why is he so antagonising later on in the game? What drove him to commit all his acts? I don’t have a clue at all why he did what he did. How could someone so childish and laid back at the beginning becoming a Sargeant, the position regarded as the shouting and beasting king of the non-commissioned officers?

Pegorino is also kind of out of nowhere as an antagonist since he was an ally for the majority of the game, and to be fair you screwed him over. Bulgarian wasn’t bad as an antagonist, but he had a much bigger impact on Niko’s life than Luis’ life. But to be fair, Pegorino is still better for me than Martinez and Torini since he at least has well established motivations.

Also, much as I love San Andreas, I don’t really think Ryder is meant to be an antagonist was added in at the last minute. Throughout the story, Tenpenny and Pulaski have you under their thumb because you’re their little pawn in helping them keep their badges. They also allied with Smoke who got greedy and betrayed you, being responsible for much of the drug trade in Los Santos after the exile of CJ and arrest of Sweet. Ryder though didn’t really do much at all. So good as a character he is, he is still technically a badly written antagonist. 

Like everyone else, you can add Stretch and Wei Cheng to that list. Badly developed. Devin Weston is also a bad antagonist since he’s not that treatening and more just an annoying cactus thorn who needed a smack in the face. 

Edited by Grotti Vigilante
  • Like 5
TheSantader25

Oh I forgot the peg. I mean Wouldn't it be better to keep him for TBOGT since Tony and Luis actually have some relationship with the commission? And instead have Bulgarin for where he belongs. 

• Like 6
Grotti Vigilante
28 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

Oh I forgot the peg. I mean Wouldn't it be better to keep him for TBOGT since Tony and Luis actually have some relationship with the commission? And instead have Bulgarin for where he belongs. 

Now it all makes too much sense to have them that way. That kind of lowers my personal rating on the GTA IV story now (still high even since it was high anyway). 

• Like 1
TheSantader25
27 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Now it all makes too much sense to have them that way. That kind of lowers my personal rating on the GTA IV story now (still high even since it was high anyway). 

Personally I Rate IV's story a 27/30.

Second best story in the series. SA takes a 29/30 from me for it's story. 

• Like 1
Grotti Vigilante
1 minute ago, TheSantader25 said:

Personally I Rate IV's story a 27/30.

Second best story in the series. SA takes a 29/30 from me for it's story. 

Wow that’s high. I’d have thought IV would’ve been one of your least scored. I guess I was wrong. 😏

• Like 1
TheSantader25
4 minutes ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Wow that’s high. I’d have thought IV would’ve been one of your least scored. I guess I was wrong. 😏

Well no one can deny facts. Not even me. I "judge" games objectively. But I "like" them subjectively. Still though IV is my 6th favorite game of all time(Behind SA, V, RDR2, VC, TLOU) My criticism mostly is to "balance" the atmosphere of this forum to be more "neutral". 

Edited by TheSantader25
  • Like 2
ThatBenGuy

Without a doubt, Wei Cheng and Stretch as well as Devin Weston. If Wei Cheng and Stretch were a bit more developed, they could’ve actually worked as main antagonists. As for Devin Weston, he is an annoying and cocky d*ck who isn’t intimidating and needs a b*tch slap to the face.

Additionally..

9 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Well no one can deny facts. Not even me. I "judge" games objectively. But I "like" them subjectively. Still though IV is my 6th favorite game of all time(Behind SA, V, RDR2, VC, TLOU) My criticism mostly is to "balance" the atmosphere of this forum to be more "neutral". 

Honestly, judging games objectively but liking them subjectively is an AWESOME way to look at things, man! ;)

• Like 5
  • 1 year later...
Evil empire

Ryder because he was turned to an antagonist when his dubber gave up his job, his role in this plot twist is destitutely managed.

Lock n' Stock

Torini in LCS was an absolute joke. You barely even know who the f*cking guy is once you encounter him face-to-face.

Zello

Torini, Stretch, Wei Cheng, Jerry Martinez and Devin Weston.

I hate Devin Weston he felt more like a rich frat boy with powerful connections but not really GTA antagonist material.

• Like 1
Shadowfennekin

Stretch.

It would have been fine if Franklin was a supporting character but Stretch really needed more screentime

• Like 1
Carbonox

Nearly everyone I was going to nominate has already been listed (Ryder, Torini, Martinez, Wei Cheng, Stretch) so I'll instead focus on putting some of my random thoughts out there about these 3D universe characters in particular. Also my additional suggestion would be Diego Mendez, who only speaks Spanish and never even talks to Vic directly IIRC, making him a wholly underwhelming final boss. It was Armando that was responsible for all the personal warfare, Diego was at best an extra in comparison, but of course Armando had to be killed off first.

For Ryder, his betrayal was so half-assed that I'd rather have seen him die in The Green Sabre, loyal to the Families all the way to the end. Imagine that for an emotional sh*tstorm.

Massimo Torini and virtually the whole LCS cast of bad guys got so little screen time that the whole mob war angle didn't feel all that high-stakey at all. Just nameless goons being slaughtered mission after mission. No character development for Paulie Sindacco, the fully unseen Franco Forelli (who I assume was supposed to die in the Fort Staunton bombing, off-screen of course), any possible high-ranking made men, or especially this Sicilian surprise antagonist with exactly one appearance prior to the final mission's climax, who again never addresses Toni directly. He's more like Salvatore's antagonist who gets a really poor send-off all things considered, the final battle being just practically copied and pasted from GTA 3 but on the opposite end of the map. Vincenzo felt like the most prominent of all the bad guys, and he of course dies in the first act, in the very same mission where he officially turns against you.

For Martinez, I just don't understand where his hate boner for Vic is supposed to come from. Was Vic just too honest for his tastes or something? Who knows, 'cause it's never explained at all. That, and how does he run a criminal gang while serving as an army sargeant? Or while in witness protection? My only theory is that they're a bunch of corrupt soldiers from Fort Baxter who got lured in on his plans like Vic did, but never screwed over. It's crazy how inconsistently he's been written right under my nose for so long, and I didn't truly start thinking about it until recently.

• Like 4
Limefong
On 6/26/2020 at 1:20 PM, Lock n' Stock said:

Torini in LCS was an absolute joke. You barely even know who the f*cking guy is once you encounter him face-to-face.

Yeah. Vincenzo could have holded the job because he was more appropriate for it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
DR:BUSTA
On 6/27/2020 at 6:38 PM, Carbonox said:

For Martinez, I just don't understand where his hate boner for Vic is supposed to come from.

My guess it's something related to what Phil said when he was drunk 

All we know that he said that they don't trust him and hate working for him so Martinez knew that they're not trustworthy anymore

FanEu7

GTA V definitely has really weak antagonists. Steve Haines is the only one who is memorable but he still doesn't feel threatening.  And the rest are complete jokes (Devin Weston is just lame and Stretch & Cheng barely have any screentime).

FanEu7
On 12/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, Algonquin Assassin said:

I'm going to throw a curve ball and say Pegorino. Stretch and Wei Cheng are obvious choices, but it's been done to death.

As much as I love GTA IV's story I abhore whoever made the decision for Bulgarin to be withheld for TBOGT. Pegorino himself isn't a bad character, but he's a weak antagonist compared to Dimitri. Bulgarin had history with Niko however the Dimitri/Bulgarin partnership fizzles out and it's never mentioned again after the diamonds story.

Pegorino just feels like an unnecessary substitute to justify having another ending, but Bulgarin would've fitted so much better. It's really the only gripe I have against GTA IV's story. One fantastic antagonist and one weak one. Talk about bittersweet.

Pegorino is an interesting character but definitely doesn't feel like final antagonist material. They just did it so we have still have a bad guy in the revenge ending after killing Dimitri but I don't get why Bulgarin wasn't used for that and instead shafted to TBOGT. Really weird choice

• Like 1
Thelema93
Spoiler

Ten penny and Pulaski. Cheng and stretch are 100000x better than those two muppets

• KEKW 1
  • excuseme 2
  • Bruh 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, Thelema93 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ten penny and Pulaski. Cheng and stretch are 100000x better than those two muppets

Lol how are antagonists that are poorly written and barely have any screentime better than ones are well-developed and actually threatening?

• Like 3
DR:BUSTA

The three antagonists of LCS

_One of them appears in one two Missions and doesn't know about the protagonist's existence and the protagonist doesn't know anything about him ( Neither is the player)

But Sal seems to hate him that's why I hate him

_the second one appeared in one mission  and was like that's Toni Cipriani and escaped on a boat which made me feel like "wow I am very famous to the level where that nobody of an antagonist knows who am I"

_ the third one never appeared in the game lol but he's an antagonist 

_Vinnie never felt like a major antagonist

He was an annoying prick and got killed just like every annoying prick in the series