3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

FreeMaxB585

I feel that the Northern Cold areas were kind of wasted

DirtCheap

It's funny that the game treats New Austin like some desolate wasteland (which it sort of is), but Ambarino is just so empty it's laughable.

I mean, at least NA has a functioning town, a post office, a sizable population and good bit of biodiversity, but Ambarino has none of these.

It has basically no population, no unique animals (yes, there's the White Bison, but  it only spawns there once), no fast travel points, nothing.

Cutter De Blanc

You can fast travel to Wapiti.

Why you can't attack the natives there is anyone's guess

Everywhere else is okay to kill random people but not there

Jabalous
5 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Why you can't attack the natives there is anyone's guess

Everywhere else is okay to kill random people but not there

Not being able to antagonize the Wapiti tribe serves the narrative. It'd not make sense to attack them and an hour later you're meeting their chief to help them in their cause. 

Edited by Jabalous

Cutter De Blanc
Just now, Jabalous said:

Not being able to attack the Wapiti tribe serves the narrative. It'd not make sense to attack them and an hour later you're meeting their chief to help them in their cause. 

Except you can do this in Rhodes. Shoot up the town in chapter 2, deputy of the place in chapter 3

Jabalous
10 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Except you can do this in Rhodes. Shoot up the town in chapter 2, deputy of the place in chapter 3

Different situations/settings. The reservation is an enclosed community with a small number of population that absolutely poses no threat to Arthur or Dutch's gang, whereas Rhodes is an open and relatively medium-sized town where you can interact with antagonist gangs, outlaws, morally corrupt citizens and officials. 

Edited by Jabalous

Cutter De Blanc
4 minutes ago, Jabalous said:

Different situations/settings. The reservation is an enclosed community with a small number of population that absolutely poses no threat to Arthur or Dutch's gang, 

So is Butcher Creek or any of the various farms you can attack. People minding their own business has never stopped me from attacking them before

Jabalous
2 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

So is Butcher Creek or any of the various farms you can attack. People minding their own business has never stopped me from attacking them before

That's the thing, player's freedom needs to be limited in some situations for the narrative not to feel broken. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. 

DirtCheap
50 minutes ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Spoiler

After Chapter 6, it becomes abandoned and is a good distance away from Grizzlies West, the part that's actually unique.

UncleTacitus
7 hours ago, alz said:

Hamish Sinclair was a great guy!  I would've loved to see him earlier in the game and have him be an intro to various activities or special variants.  It would've also be fun to have the Trapper guy (does he even have a name?) be a person who you'd do a couple activities with too.  He could show you how to craft winter gear or something.  I kept trying to find a good combination of the bazillion clothing option to have a Grizzly/Native American outfit like Hamish or the Trapper and was sadly disappointed it's not possible.

Oh yeah, Hamish was absolutely one of my favorite characters outside the Van der Linde gang!

volta2001

it does feel a bit odd every time i venture up there, knowing i will 100% not encounter another person. 

3Prcntr

The robot thought it was a good place to take a seat. I don't blame him. I love the snow too. I also heard there were other life forms that appear in the mountains. Some frozen things inside the lake. A mysterious grave with a nasty little note on it. A frozen couple holding an odd map. A pair of lost hunters and a bear. Revisiting a certain cabin that micah burned to the ground. Plenty of hunting especially for the 25 or so wolf pelts you need to make your camp mates contribute more (yes, useless, but still a thing to do and an area to find them easily). Visit a Glacier and listen to the sounds it makes.

There are things to do up there.

The whole temperest rim area is definitely a waste though. Why even place the boundaries beyond that?

Edited by 3Prcntr

Marcinguy
23 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

And about the clothes..... I am VERY shocked that nearly 100% of the game (again excluding flacco, 1st chapter and hunting) you can get by in just regular warm weather clothes. I would have least expected maybe valentine for example to sometimes get hit with snow storms once in awhile so have to change there, just some other types of climate change that can mix things up

And sorry ranted about the clothes part for a bit, but I had bought some really cool cold outfits that I freaking LOVED and never got to use them much. And I at least got the white arabian and did flacco, so can only imagine the people who did neither

I agree with you totally on that point. I spent a lot of time unlocking the cool outfits but almost never wore them. Doing a second playthrough now and I just wear them anyway despite Arthur being hot because they are so cool. Especially the white Bison coat. But another thing is those vests that the trapper makes. Love those vests man, and the chaps too! Putting them all on around Valentine roasts Arthur something awful though.

Tonesta
21 hours ago, alz said:

Hamish Sinclair was a great guy!  I would've loved to see him earlier in the game and have him be an intro to various activities or special variants.  It would've also be fun to have the Trapper guy (does he even have a name?) be a person who you'd do a couple activities with too.  He could show you how to craft winter gear or something.  I kept trying to find a good combination of the bazillion clothing option to have a Grizzly/Native American outfit like Hamish or the Trapper and was sadly disappointed it's not possible.

Getting a bit off-topic here......but I feel like Hamish was really important at that time in the story.

Arthur knows he's dying, but it's also happening at a time when he's lost his closest friends. Hosea is dead, Dutch has passed the point of no return, Mary has moved on, John is effectively his brother, but you get the sense that they were never close in a 'hanging out and shooting the breeze' kind of way, Sadie and Charles he likes - but hasn't known for all that long, and they're both very different characters.

Into that void steps Hamish - a man who's also struggling with his own past, but has a similar outlook on the world as Arthur and a shared love of the outdoors.

He's the friend Arthur desperately needed in Chapter 6; and even though it doesn't end well, I like to think hanging out with him gave Arthur some comfort and some good times in his final days. I'm just not sure that relationship would've have worked as well/been as powerful at any other point in the story.

a z

Absolutely the best time for that tone of character and story.  I wish other parts of the game story had the hmmm... mature depth Hamish provided. 

What if Arthur had more one-on-one encounters with Hosea?  Part of the issue might be all deep-meaning characters are at the camp which Arthur goes back to over and over.  Hamish is out on his own in a pretty sweet spot.  Having some thoughtful contacts out in the wilderness and city would've helped make the player find depth beyond the camp for more of the game.  Alternatively, imagine if Hosea had an old family home or relative he stayed with for a spell outside of camp.  I enjoyed how some camp people promoted game features, tools, and mechanics.

UncleTacitus

Yeah, visiting Hamish felt really good for me, mainly because everything had turn to s*** in the camp, and that really sapped my spirits, but hanging out with Hamish felt a bit like going out to fish with Hosea or having a drink with Lenny had felt earlier on.

Glad to see that you guys had similar insight.

FreeMaxB585
On 12/20/2018 at 8:04 AM, Grotti Vigilante said:

Let’s try to be realistic for a minute though and consider that the mountains are very cold and hostile as an environment, and not only would a lack of agriculture and wild life be an issue for food, but the harsh conditions would’ve easily caused problems for bringing food in as an import and such. So I don’t think you could realistically expect there to be a Stawberry-sized village in the mountains given its poor environmental conditions.

Like many have said, if no town and everything thats fine. But maybe give more than 0 total story missions with arthur. or maybe in general more than the 1 Flacco mission

And with what you just said said reminds me of how much I hate the ending. Its a terrible harsh area. micah has all the money in the world, up there would be the last place he should be

FreeMaxB585
7 hours ago, Tonesta said:

Getting a bit off-topic here......but I feel like Hamish was really important at that time in the story.

Arthur knows he's dying, but it's also happening at a time when he's lost his closest friends. Hosea is dead, Dutch has passed the point of no return, Mary has moved on, John is effectively his brother, but you get the sense that they were never close in a 'hanging out and shooting the breeze' kind of way, Sadie and Charles he likes - but hasn't known for all that long, and they're both very different characters.

Into that void steps Hamish - a man who's also struggling with his own past, but has a similar outlook on the world as Arthur and a shared love of the outdoors.

He's the friend Arthur desperately needed in Chapter 6; and even though it doesn't end well, I like to think hanging out with him gave Arthur some comfort and some good times in his final days. I'm just not sure that relationship would've have worked as well/been as powerful at any other point in the story.

cant you see hamish way before that? I thought it was possible to get Buell in the earlier chapters? I havent done so I was planning on it on my 2nd play through

Tonesta
1 hour ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

cant you see hamish way before that? I thought it was possible to get Buell in the earlier chapters? I havent done so I was planning on it on my 2nd play through

No he's definitely Chapter 6 only......

Implicitly

I think judging by the original leaks that The Grizzlies was suppose to be much, much larger. 

RyuNova

I wouldn't have minded a minor Questline where you can help rebuild Colter.

Not physically rebuild it but have one or two Quests per chapter where you find them lumber, a Sheriff etc. Give you a reason to keep returning and have a little town building game at the same time. 

jje1000
10 minutes ago, RyuNova said:

I wouldn't have minded a minor Questline where you can help rebuild Colter.

Not physically rebuild it but have one or two Quests per chapter where you find them lumber, a Sheriff etc. Give you a reason to keep returning and have a little town building game at the same time. 

I think that a ranching-building mechanic would be more appropriated, but it could have been interesting if Colter gets inhabited again because of a new gold strike. The old buildings would get fixed up and re-inhabited, and you would have to maybe do a few pelt/monetary/defense contributions to keep it going.

Sort of like that stranger encounter near Valentine where they're building a house.

Edited by jje1000

RyuNova
2 minutes ago, jje1000 said:

I think that a ranching-building mechanic would be more appropriated, but it could have been interesting if Colter gets inhabited again because of a new gold strike. The old buildings would get fixed up and re-inhabited, and you would have to maybe do a few pelt/monetary/defense contributions to keep it going.

Sort of like that stranger encounter near Valentine where they're building a house.

It would not be a full town building//Mayor mechanic but more of a few Quests and the idea of getting a town up there. Having a reason to go back now and again would have been great.

Vercetti27

took a ride up to the glacier in the far west northern corner of ambarino and there really is nothing there, i mean i guess there doesn't have to be, but its a shame the glacier isn't a real glacier whatsoever, just looks like a small rift 

LeftTurnus

Having a small town would have been nice up there.

I went up to Lake Isabella last night to finish Master Hunter 8 challenge (catch 3 fish without using a fishing pole).

The shallowness of the water really helped as John can't swim.

When I was done, a blizzard started that was so bad I had to go extremely slow down the mountain with my horse as visibility was so bad. It continued snowing even at the lower elevation where it normally did not snow.

It was as if the game was telling me it did not want me up there at all.

Also survived two wolf pack attacks and a Cougar attack along the way. One of the wolf packs was a big one, 5.

I have been up to that area a few times before and never has the environment been that hostile before.

HockeyMike24

I remember reading that Dan Houser in an interview said that they knew they wanted to start the game up in the mountains during a snow storm. I think they just kinda forgot or didn't have time to finish up the map in the northern parts.

New Austin is another area that seems unfinished. Something definitely went on with development that just led to the game being released with a partly unfinished map in areas. They might even of planned to have had Mexico at some point in development. Just didn't happen.

McAgent

Ambarino was cool, but it was definitely wasted - there was just no reason to go there after Chapter 1.

Colter was in a good geographic position for a town in Ambarino, so they could have made it a thriving mining community during the story, 

Spoiler

and then have it become an abandoned settlement eight years later in the epilogue.

Edited by McAgent

They could have created a small stagecoach stopover ala The Hateful Eight, where you could sleep and buy food and clothes.

the-hateful-eight-set-design-002.JPG

Edited by anthony

Apaloosa

I think that if there is a Red Dead 3 in the 1850, we will have a lot of habitation and people in the snowy areas (gold rush context). That'll be really cool.

I hope Rockstar will think about it