3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

fejkb

Treasure maps needs balancing?

Foxwolfe

Stretch you need to relax man, you're putting meaning into my words that aren't there. I was just adding my experience to the discussion since I saw others post about waiting to look until everything was dead/dealt with and given my dislike of the corpses disappearing before I get to them I wanted to let people know that you can still get maps just fine looting them beforehand.

I even admitted in my post that my numbers appeared to say that I got them less frequently than you did (which I apparently messed up on my math anyway) but you appear to have a hardon for thinking I'm trying to push a "method" or discredit yours or whatever.

Look man I'm not gonna bother reading that big post when I feel like you're trying to argue with me about something I didn't say and have no interest in arguing, hell we prolly agree on the details of all this crap outside of that particular note anyway.

Either way apologies for the confusion and no hard feelings, to add to the thread again there's definitely been a period of time where it felt like they severely nerfed the drop rate but then later on it seemed to bounce back up again. Not having any concrete numbers or into though and I dunno if the lulls were just part of the % chance and I was just getting unlucky or if R* was actually tweaking things on their end.

Edited by Foxwolfe

LeopardLove27

I think I've found (3) maps from looting. I'm trying to figure out if the chances of getting one increases if you wait to loot AFTER you spare the gang leader. 

clinical oppression

Just did my level 75 treasure map . ......26 bucks. That was it . No gold no pamphlets,not even a tonic  It was actually a waste of time as I can make more hunting in 5 minutes than that treasure crap gave me . 

DentureDynamite

$26 freaking bucks for a treasure map? WTF. Epic Rockstar screw-over on that one. A fully-skinned cougar or panther is almost worth that much (adding in its "accessories").

Not good. I haven't run into that pitiful of an amount yet--about $40 is my lowest so far; got $100 from a map a day or so ago.

But yeah, you can make a ton more than that just by hunting most anything you see on the islands off the western coast of Lemoyne...

Speaking of which, I hope at least one of the treasure chests is located near the wrecked ship in the larger "U" shaped island. Would be crazy not to put one there.

Edited by DentureDynamite

clinical oppression

40 bucks is terrible too . My second lowest was 58 .

ALifeOfMisery

At what point have the level based treasure maps started repeating locations for everyone else?

I got the East of Watson's treasure for level 40, then got it again for level 55, which was also my lowest haul so far, $25.xx and 0.3x Gold.

BUT THE BENZ
On 2/3/2019 at 9:19 PM, clinical oppression said:

Just did my level 75 treasure map . ......26 bucks. That was it . No gold no pamphlets,not even a tonic  It was actually a waste of time as I can make more hunting in 5 minutes than that treasure crap gave me . 

the f*ck, NO gold?! R* got a call from zelnick as it seems...too much give-away-money out there apparently.

FU strauss!

DentureDynamite
9 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

At what point have the level based treasure maps started repeating locations for everyone else?

I got the East of Watson's treasure for level 40, then got it again for level 55, which was also my lowest haul so far, $25.xx and 0.3x Gold.

No "wrap arounds" for me yet, and I'm on level 60.

I really do think the treasure rewards are randomly generated; good in one sense, bad in that you may not get much cash, including zero gold...

Dr.Rosenthal

2 days ago I picked up 2 treasure maps, one for leveling up and the other must've been from looting. I forgot to go get the treasures, so I went and got them yesterday first thing when I got on. Played as usual for a few hours, and before logging off I checked my inventory to see if I had picked any more up without noticing. I didn't think I had, but wanted to check anyway. And I was surprised to see 2 more maps had been added to my inventory!

So, the last few days I've been increasingly trying to loot as many bodies as possible, be it gang hideouts or during missions or just anyone lying dead really. And it seems it makes a difference. Last night I even stopped while doing a wagon theft stranger mission (don't remember exactly which kind), anyway, I stopped, got off the wagon and looted the npc's that had come chasing me. I don't think I picked up any of the maps while doing so, but I didn't check thoroughly.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I'll try and loot as much as possible because it undoubtedly seems it increases the chances to get treasure maps. I also usually loot bodies while doing the gang hideouts and not waiting until they're all dead, as some bodies seem to despawn if you wait til they're all dead.

Also, I got more than $100 and, around 0.5 gold or more from each one of these 4 treasure maps. So my advice to y'all, just loot as much as possible and you should increase your chances. I know I'll do!

BUT THE BENZ

so R* flipped the switch and activated the map-loot again? good timing R*, my stretch @ work is through so I can play again at night, instead of sleeping

I guess the only map I will "find" is the one for ranking up to 45. I take it rather slow, but that should be doable in the next 72 hours! and it will net me 0.3 gold and 50 dollars...YEEEEEHAAAW

IamCourtney

Got a map from the Shady Belle hideout tonight, I seem to have good luck with the hideouts down south for some reason.

rusbeckia
21 hours ago, ALifeOfMisery said:

I just turned 100 yesterday and never had a treasure map location twice! but I only got 3 or 4 extra maps from looting. 

Libeaus Desconus

About 150 gang hideout, 100 gang ambushes. got 21 maps. I'm 100% sure that i missed quite a few because of that enemy de-spawn bug. I got many duplicates, also got 1.0 gold in 2 maps. 

ALifeOfMisery
5 hours ago, Libeaus Desconus said:

I got many duplicates

I appreciate that's it's probably difficult to keep track, but can you remember if the duplicates came from looted maps or whether the level reward maps started duplicating, or both?

BUT THE BENZ
On 2/6/2019 at 12:14 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

I guess the only map I will "find" is the one for ranking up to 45....and it will net me 0.3 gold and 50 dollars...YEEEEEHAAAW

well, the treasure was at CITADEL ROCK - and it got me 0.81 gold, and 135 dollars!? finally, a decent reward! who would have thought....

btw I opened that chest and then WAITED, a few seconds....which I usually don't do (bad memories of treasure huting in the swamps withalligators eating me alive while I was in the middle of taking the reward, I guess).

might have simply been lucky, or that bit of waiting really increased the reward.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

rusbeckia
7 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

well, the treasure was at CITADEL ROCK - and it got me 0.81 gold, and 135 dollars!? finally, a decent reward! who would have thought....

btw I opened that chest and then WAITED, a few seconds....which I usually don't do (bad memories of treasure huting in the swamps withalligators eating me alive while I was in the middle of taking the reward, I guess).

might have simply been lucky, or that bit of waiting really increased the reward.

I don‘t think waiting changes the reward... and if, there is no way of proofing it. 

It most likely is based on complete randomness. I once got over 2 goldbars at lvl 30-40, once 200$ somewhere around lvl 50-60 and 45$ at lvl 95.....

IamCourtney

A lot of wide fluctuations being reported but I've been having the opposite experience, my last half dozen chests (some from 5lvl maps, some looted) seemed to have normalized values. 50-75 nuggets, $90-$125 and a few had a tonic thrown in. More nuggets meant a little less money and vice versa. Curious...

ThaBirdCoot
On 1/23/2019 at 1:24 PM, Stretch188 said:

3 Things:

- Don't Die

- Save the Leader for Last

- Dont start looting until you've dealt with the leader (doesn't matter if you spare or kill)

Finally looted a map from a corpse in Solomon's Folly following this method

DentureDynamite

^^ Those things might help, but I'm quite sure they're not a hard and fast rule.

I say that, as I've picked up a map while always looting at least a handful of bodies before dealing with the leader (don't want to lose any bodies to despawn issues); and several times have nailed the leader in the middle of the fight.

What's funny is that I didn't even notice I had picked up a map until I leveled up to the next big "five"--and found two maps in my inventory. :)

rusbeckia
2 hours ago, ThaBirdCoot said:

Finally looted a map from a corpse in Solomon's Folly following this method

I followed that theory for 10-15 hideouts and didnt get one. A friend of mine killed the leader first in a hideout recently and got a map while the hideout was still going... 

don‘t die is the only rule imo

ThaBirdCoot

Yes, they are not a hard and fast rule, otherwise we'd all be swimming in cash. I just wanted to point out that I've managed to get one from doing this method after maybe 6 hideouts which is surprising in my case given that I never looted a damn map before at rank 116. So... maybe I got lucky after all that time but it is still weird it popped up so fast.

4eyedcoupe
46 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

I followed that theory for 10-15 hideouts and didnt get one. A friend of mine killed the leader first in a hideout recently and got a map while the hideout was still going... 

don‘t die is the only rule imo

I've actually died doing a hideout in the last week(it's the one where the story mission "if the hat fits" is).  When I looted the first guy I killed after respawning, I got a map.  

Edited by 4eyedcoupe

rusbeckia
1 hour ago, 4eyedcoupe said:

I've actually died doing a hideout in the last week(it's the one where the story mission "if the hat fits" is).  When I looted the first guy I killed after respawning, I got a map.  

Ok than scrap my theory about not dying. It‘s completely random.

S1ster P1stol

I've only gotten one map and it was like the first few ones I did when I came online shortly after it's complete release. I've been sorta farming them and nothing. It counts towards a buckle but damn. The rate they come in are just as low as exotics in D2 right now. 

If you die doing hideouts it resets and enemies despawn. I know some people go for the leader first but being that I'm lvl 26 I'm killing all the npcs and hunting for xp. I always saved the leader for last just to do an execution for fun. 

ALifeOfMisery
5 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

A lot of wide fluctuations being reported but I've been having the opposite experience, my last half dozen chests (some from 5lvl maps, some looted) seemed to have normalized values. 50-75 nuggets, $90-$125 and a few had a tonic thrown in. More nuggets meant a little less money and vice versa. Curious...

Mine have been fairly even like you stated, apart from my level 55 map, which paid hardly anything.

Libeaus Desconus

On 2/7/2019 at 6:24 AM, ALifeOfMisery said:

I appreciate that's it's probably difficult to keep track, but can you remember if the duplicates came from looted maps or whether the level reward maps started duplicating, or both?

Being someone who wanted to make Treasure hunting the main part of my activities in RDR:O, i gathered all the information i could since day 1. My conclusions are far from being interesting though ; for me it's just completely random.

I was leveling along with my friends for the most part and kept which location they would get at which level, and then i just stopped to collect data because it appeared to be completely random. Basically every 5 level you get a random treasure map,  the very same map that you can loot on bandits.

So far , my conclusion is that it's a very low random drop chance on mission bodies in free roam. It include Gang hideouts, Gang ambushes and also mission npcs apparently. I can't confirm that one personally but someone affirmed getting a map on a ennemies spawned from a stranger quest. I don't think you can get more than 1 map per mission either.

The money is anywhere between 20$ and 140$. Gold nuggets between 0.30 and 1.00.

That's pretty much it for the maps. I personally kill the ennemies and loot their body immediately to ''secure'' the loots. I also compete for gang hideouts, i was lucky to loot the map on the first bodies a few times and then fled the crime scene. Maps are basically the only real competitive element in free roam currently.

•—•
7 hours ago, Libeaus Desconus said:

The money is anywhere between 20$ and 140$.

I got up to $165.00~.

Edited by Ektope

Foxwolfe

Little update, 306 hideouts completed and 48 treasure chests claimed, minus 16 maps from rank ups leaves 32 maps from hideouts/ambushes (I haven't gotten any maps from enemy npcs outside of those two instances yet.)

All in all not a bad drop rate and seems to line up with the % chance Stretch was mentioning earlier. Looking at it more closely though it did feel like there was a large period of time where I was getting next to no maps and now it feels like I'm getting them with more frequency again, whether that is due to R* tweaking the drop rate over time or just the % chance working with and then against me I don't know. Overall I can't really complain about it currently as I wouldn't want them to be overabundant.

Unfortunately I still have yet to get any pamphlets from these so I'm still on the lookout for that though.

BUT THE BENZ

oh, after weeks of nothing I've found a map at bear claw camp, the treasure was located at "little creek" - got me 0.41 in gold and 55 $ in cash. okay!

BUT THE BENZ
On 2/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

oh, after weeks of nothing I've found a map at bear claw camp, the treasure was located at "little creek" - got me 0.41 in gold and 55 $ in cash. okay!

and oh again, different day same sh*t. almost. found a map at bear claw camp, treasure was located at "little creek" (different spot though) - this time got me 0.72 in gold and 135 $ in cash. alriiiiight!