4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

fejkb

Treasure maps needs balancing?

DLKnives
2 minutes ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

I doubt everyone gets the same rewards with either the maps we found or those we've been given as rank-up rewards.

I believe this is correct. From Brandywine Drop I got $97 and I can't remember how much gold. .3x I think.

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

it could be a mixture of randomization and forced numbers, like that "stats-triangle" always weights in, and then you have those stats determine the wheel that is spinning, which you again determine to stop once you open that chest.

reward scale - gets set upon picking up/finding the map

reward itself - is determined by your timing/opening that chest

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

TheShift
Posted (edited)

A little off topic..but

I've cleared 20 some hideouts and not a single map found.

I also think there should be a little more loot there to.  

Cuz greedy..lol

But the other night the Mexican gang deep in the canyon ...I bet I had enemy respawns off the chart

I bet I killed 50 before it ended

But when I went to loot..almost all but 6 bodies were missing 

Edited by TheShift

BUT THE BENZ

you should kill and loot, back2back. safest way to secure all dead bodies before they disappear

and yeah apparently in some cases you have a wave coming in on top of the enemies already in the hideout. happened only twice for me though

DentureDynamite
Posted (edited)

+1 on looting right after kills (where possible, that is); I had about three or four bodies disappear on me while looting the others after clearing a hideout.

Edited by DentureDynamite

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

yeah it can be pretty intense and of course very risky to run into a hail of bullets just so you can loot 8 cents off a guy :D

but then again, I got me about 5 maps?! from hideouts within the last 2 weeks, it does kind of work and sometimes pays well is what I'm sayin!

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

TheShift

Are you finding maps in chests .on the leader? Other bodies ?

I've searched high and low everyone I've cleared out

And usually let the leader live

jstev4610

I have received two maps in 38ish hideouts cleared and they both were looted off bodies other than the leader

Fugitive21
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, TheShift said:

A little off topic..but

Cuz greedy..lol

But the other night the Mexican gang deep in the canyon ...I bet I had enemy respawns off the chart

Are you looting every corpse you kill? Are you getting killed mid way? All my maps have come from looting a corpse. If I happen to die the bodies I didn't loot disappeared. One of those bodies could have had the map and now they are gone. I have about 14 maps done (4 dupe areas). 

I have never gotten a map from either killing or setting free the boss. It has always come from the normal NPC's I killed.

Edited by Fugitive21

TheShift
Posted (edited)

Usually I don't die 😂

And yes looting everything I can

I'll be more dilegent from now on I guess 

Edited by TheShift

IamCourtney
Posted (edited)

It seems like maybe just about any hostile NPC in free roam is eligible to have a map looted off of their corpse, not just the ones in Hideouts... aside from the half dozen or so I've gotten from those, I've now gotten one from both a mission-spawned NPC (the cart recovery at Wallace Station where Angus sends you up into the Grizzlies on behalf of a dead man's wife) and one from an O'Driscoll Ambush body north of Valentine near Fort Wallace. I also had a map a few weeks back I couldn't quite account for and I'm pretty sure it came from the Ambush near Strawberry.

I've always been a pretty compulsive looter but now it looks like I can have no peace of mind until every stiff's pocket is picked...

Edited by IamCourtney

4eyedcoupe
On 1/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, TheShift said:

A little off topic..but

Cuz greedy..lol

This must have been the mine shaft location in Gaptooth ridge.  Another wave comes as soon as you kill the first two guys inside the mine.  Also, once you enter the mine looking for the leader, it seems the first wave completely disapears, so I would clear everyone outside of the mine first, loot them before entering the mine or shooting the first two NPC in it, once looted, then kill those two and wait for the second wave to come.  Clear and loot that wave, head into mine and locate leader and last 3-4NPCs

Stretch188

Ive found 4 maps in the last 2 days.

Again,for anyone struggling:

Dont die!

Save leader for last

Dont start looting until youve dealt with the leader

4eyedcoupe
10 minutes ago, Stretch188 said:

Ive found 4 maps in the last 2 days.

Again,for anyone struggling:

Dont die!

Save leader for last

Dont start looting until youve dealt with the leader

The one and only map I have ever gotten was on the second guy I killed at the Gaptooth Ridge mine location literally right after starting the gang attack, I could have walked away without finishing it.  

AmyStone

I've done ok from hideouts. About a map for every 4 or 5 I do. The fun is in killing the gang so the map is a nice bonus.

4eyedcoupe
2 hours ago, AmyStone said:

The fun is in killing the gang so the map is a nice bonus.

This is how I have been approaching it lately.  It would be nice to get them more often, but I'm no longer disappointed if I don't.  

Stretch188
3 hours ago, Jlindstead said:

The one and only map I have ever gotten was on the second guy I killed at the Gaptooth Ridge mine location literally right after starting the gang attack, I could have walked away without finishing it.  

I didnt say my way was the only way, just that it has a much higher drop chance.

But feel free to turn my advice away lol, seems like your method has been..less successful.

RayD70
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Stretch188 said:

I didnt say my way was the only way, just that it has a much higher drop chance.

But feel free to turn my advice away lol, seems like your method has been..less successful.

@Jlindstead

Listen to him. I've looted 10 maps in a week averaging 2-3 hideouts a day doing his method after getting nothing since launch and over 40 hideouts with bupkiss.

Edit: I should add I seem to have better odds on smaller hideouts than the really spread out ones. But the sample size is too small to state that as fact.

Edited by RayD70

4eyedcoupe
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Stretch188 said:

I didn't mean to say you're wrong,  I have done it several different ways, Including the way you do it most of the time actually...I just think it is totally random.  R* hates me...I attempted to get that damn Kifflom shirt on GTA over 200 times and never got it lol I gave up when my tally was in the 220's. 

Edited by Jlindstead

BUT THE BENZ

it is "random" - depending on the boxes R* ticked, on the switches R* flipped, or NOT.

BUT THE BENZ

"random"...and if we step out of line to complain, if we don't spend enough money on goldbars, if we talk negatively about the houser snakes and/or praise the benz - well, no more treasure maps from hideouts.

about to hit rank 30 though, they can't deny me that map ....but I'm pretty sure the reward will be underwhelming.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

MafiaDesigns

I feel that R* basically reduced the drop rate of the maps.

I've cleared at least 50+ hideouts within the last 3-4 weeks and haven't found a single one. 

Back in the first 3-4 weeks of online being released I used to find at least 11-12 maps a week while doing hideouts. 

Sometimes I feel that they don't drop anymore of you're over a certain rank. I'm rank 144 BTW. 

Pressure Drop

I don't go looking for hideouts deliberately, I complete a story mission first, then when loading back into freemode look for smoke in the distance, and ride to it. You usually get a hideout, and over the last 3 days, I had around 4/6 hideouts give me a map. I always loot the bodies before killing the leader, and usually found the map on one of their bodies rather than the leader. I have no clue how it's supposed to work, but that seem to be the best method.

rusbeckia
27 minutes ago, Pressure Drop said:

I don't go looking for hideouts deliberately, I complete a story mission first, then when loading back into freemode look for smoke in the distance, and ride to it. You usually get a hideout, and over the last 3 days, I had around 4/6 hideouts give me a map. I always loot the bodies before killing the leader, and usually found the map on one of their bodies rather than the leader. I have no clue how it's supposed to work, but that seem to be the best method.

Do you have any strategy when approaching the hideout like stealth, melee or sth or are u just rushing through slaughtering every gangmember without mercy? 

Someone mentioned that you need to be sneaky to get maps, but I dunno... maybe shotgunning my way to the leader is supposed to be sneaky lol?

Pressure Drop
23 minutes ago, rusbeckia said:

Do you have any strategy when approaching the hideout like stealth, melee or sth or are u just rushing through slaughtering every gangmember without mercy? 

Someone mentioned that you need to be sneaky to get maps, but I dunno... maybe shotgunning my way to the leader is supposed to be sneaky lol?

Don't think that would make a difference, I always look for a good spot before initiating the hideout, behind a rock or something. Usually my first attack is to throw a Molotov into the middle of their camp, it severely hinders their movement, and you can usually get a few opening kills. Funny to watch them screaming and scrambling around as their camp burns to the ground.

I have done the hideouts before just in free mode, but it seems to be much better chance of maps when you come out of a story mission. I will keep testing.

PS - I have killed the leader a couple of times by accident before the other guys, but I still got a couple of maps so don't think that matters either.

Edited by Pressure Drop

BUT THE BENZ

haven't found a map for a week+ ... haven't changed anything in terms of approach and/or looting

what changed though, is I did NOT spend extra money on goldbars, and voiced my opinion about the spineless houser snakes.

and btw that rank-up reward map (lvl 30 @ diablo ridge) got me 0.35 gold and 54 $, so everything as expected one could say!

fryday

I heard the rumour, that your honor has a effect of the drop rate. this would male sense in my case. did about 20-30 hideouts, NEVER got any map. and i was in good honor 95% all the time. 

4eyedcoupe

72 hideouts, 1 map

BUT THE BENZ
20 minutes ago, fryday said:

I heard the rumour, that your honor has a effect of the drop rate. this would male sense in my case. did about 20-30 hideouts, NEVER got any map. and i was in good honor 95% all the time. 

hmmm, I had good or balanced honor whilst I got me 5 maps from hideouts. recently maxed out BAD honor (wanted that buckle), didn't get no maps.

I think in total I have almost 50 hideouts cleared, found 5 maps.

fryday
1 hour ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

hmmm, I had good or balanced honor whilst I got me 5 maps from hideouts. recently maxed out BAD honor (wanted that buckle), didn't get no maps.

I think in total I have almost 50 hideouts cleared, found 5 maps.

where are the dataminers, when you need them... 😬