4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

fejkb

Treasure maps needs balancing?

RayD70
1 hour ago, Stretch188 said:

Try doing it with a posse. That way when you go to kill the leader, your posse can stay near the bodies and they wont vanish.

Also - youre exaggerating dude lol. A couple may disappear, but definitely not all of them. Bodies only vanish when they move off your mini radar.

Lastly - this is just the way probability works. If theres a 5% chance of finding a treasure map, then across all RDO players, there will be a map found every 20 completed hideouts. However - some people will find one every 10 hideouts, and some people will find one every 40. Someone may find one on their first hideout, others might not find it til their 100th. There is no even distribution law - each gang hideout is a 'dice roll' independent of the last - the results of the previous hideout have no impact on what the results of the next one will be.

Youve only completed 35 hideouts - nowhere near a large enough sample size to say anything definitively. So instead of saying the game is broken, or telling the people confirming that you can win that they are outliers, take their advice and keep plugging away.

Ive never won a 50/50 ticket in my life. Does that mean that no one ever wins 50/50 tickets? No. It just means I havent gotten lucky yet.

If youre on PS4, i can add you and help you if you want. Ill stay near the bodies while you handle the leader and let you loot them all until you find one. I know its frustrating, I had given up on it as well. I think my hideout number is actually alot higher than 40, and I may have only found two actually. Im just away on vacation so I cant check.

Sorry for quoting all of this instead of the 2 points I want to address. But i'm in my phone and cba.

I didn't only do 35. That's all I got credit for because the hideout actually finished. I've done well over 50. And probably 2 dozen gang ambushes. But even as recently as last night, I can finish a hideout, everyone dead, and nothing happens. No xp bonus, no message it's complete, nada. Bugged. Or I get disconnected due to Rockstar error or game error as i'm looting the last few bodies.

And no. I'm not exaggerating. I've seen bodies not 5 feet away from the leader disappear.

You're fortunate none of this happened to you. Yet.

Edit: one more point. I know very well how drop rates work. I used to play a certain MMO back in its prime and often sought the really rare drops (managed to get the Baron mount after almost 500 runs. Then they increased the drop rate from 1/1000 to 1/100. Tried on second toon. Still took me almost 300 runs. LOL) I have a friend with over 30 runs and no map. So over 80 runs combined and not one drop? Either the drop rate is so low that it isn't worth it as I said, or something is wrong. And considering how buggy hideouts have been, either is possible.

Edited by RayD70

Stretch188
1 hour ago, RayD70 said:

1. I didn't only do 35. That's all I got credit for because the hideout actually finished. I've done well over 50. I can finish a hideout, everyone dead, and nothing happens. No xp bonus, nada. Bugged.

2. And no. I'm not exaggerating. I've seen bodies not 5 feet away from the leader disappear.

3. You're fortunate none of this happened to you. Yet.

4. So over 80 runs combined and not one drop? Either the drop rate is so low that it isn't worth it as I said, or something is wrong. And considering how buggy hideouts have been, either is possible.

1. I cant speak to your estimate of the extra 15 that bugged out - server connection issues are, well, a different issue. Ive been in bugged out sessions with no animals - I recognize that isnt an animal spawn issue, its a server stability issue. I am not counting the extra bugged out hideouts ive completed in my number, so I will continue to use your initial stated number of 35 completed hideouts.

2. Really? Sorry but this is kinda hard to believe. Ill take your word for it though. Like I said earlier - posse up. Someone stays by the bodies and keeps an eye on them, someone goes to the leader. 

3. Oh no, some of this has happened to me. Ive had half the bodies ina camp disaapear, Ive had the icons refuse to pop up, ive killed everyone without getting the 'cleared bandits +150xp' message. Ish happens. Funnily enough, i found my first treasure map on a bugged out hideout.

4. Since your hideouts completed number was inflated by about 30%, ill assume you did about the same for your friend, so we'll say about 60 completed hideouts.

How many times of those 60 did you complete without dying?

How many times did you loot all the bodies before dealing with the leader?

These will both have a big negative impact on your drop rate. (In my experience)

If you had completed them all perfectly, and my estimate of a 5% chance is correct, that would mean you would have a EMF (Expected Maps Found) of 3.

So at 0, you are slightly below the EMF, but not by a huge amount - and it sounds like a change in your looting strategy could have a big impact on your chances.

Lastly - if you dont think a 5% chance at 150$ and .6 gold bars,  plus a 95% chance of:

gun oil,

3-4 potent tonics,

jewelry,

20-30 bullets,

3-4 cans of food,

and the occasional hair pomade

Is worth it, then thats fine. Just dont do gang hideouts. I hate PVP so i do them cause I find them fun. If i find extra money? Awesome. If not, ohwell, i just earned a bunch of xp (which means im that much closer to ranking up another 5 levels, which means its almost time i get a guaranteed treasure map).

I offered to help you earlier, but it doesnt seem like you really want help. You can see throughout this thread plenty of others have found them. Instead of blaming the game, why not look for a solution? 

RayD70

@Stretch188You can't just discount hideouts completed but bugged. Doesn't work like that. The whole point is no drops over dozens of runs. And frankly, I probably underestimated how many were bugged out. I tend to be conservative with estimates. (And the friend's number is actually completed and counted hideouts. I have no idea if or how many bugged ones he had).

I have never died. Not once. Never against NPCs. (Not a brag. Let's face it. They're not hard to go against especially if you use your head and cover). I've died plenty to other players, and stupidity. LOL (Falling, drowning, wandering into a gator, etc) Actually, that's wrong. I've died twice to lawmen while trying to tank my honor.  So I don't think that's part of the issue. I'll try your strategy of waiting to loot until after killing/setting free the leader. I know I'll lose out on a few, or quite a few enemies, but I'll try it.

Shady Belle gang hideout. Leader is in an upstairs room of the old mansion. 2 dead enemies in the room next to him. I go kill the leader first. Loot him. Go to the next room and both bodies gone. Just for example. And I know you're aware of the more spread out hideouts having many enemies despawn. Which is why I took to looting first.

You bring up another sore point: overall loot is poor at best. We'll use Shady Belle as an example since I do that one often (it's along my hunting/fishing route). It's a larger hideout with a decent number of bodies to loot. On average, I get maybe 1 pocketwatch and around $2. I'll grant that I usually can't pick up gun oil or some consumables as I'm full with them already. Almost all looted from hideouts/ambushes/random houses. And I'll further grant that I often don't lose too much ammo doing hideouts because there's usually plenty to loot. Not that ammo is expensive. But regardless of location, empty loot boxes and crates is infuriating.

I'm not being anti-social by not jumping at help. I just play very late at night and usually end up lone wolfing (if my usual running friends would ever get around to actually finishing the story and play online, that wouldn't be the case. heh And a few of them are still stubbornly attached to GTA. Not sure I can blame them since RDO is kind of sparse with content for the time being. That will improve).

For xp, I tend to do story missions until i get bored. I'm contemplating going into PvP/races just to see how it goes. I know there's a fair bit of xp to be had there, at least if you do well (I probably will suck at it).

Stretch188
3 minutes ago, RayD70 said:

@Stretch188You can't just discount hideouts completed but bugged. Doesn't work like that. The whole point is no drops over dozens of runs. And frankly, I probably underestimated how many were bugged out. I tend to be conservative with estimates. (And the friend's number is actually completed and counted hideouts. I have no idea if or how many bugged ones he had).

I have never died. Not once. Never against NPCs. (Not a brag. Let's face it. They're not hard to go against especially if you use your head and cover). I've died plenty to other players, and stupidity. LOL (Falling, drowning, wandering into a gator, etc) Actually, that's wrong. I've died twice to lawmen while trying to tank my honor.  So I don't think that's part of the issue. I'll try your strategy of waiting to loot until after killing/setting free the leader. I know I'll lose out on a few, or quite a few enemies, but I'll try it.

Shady Belle gang hideout.

You bring up another sore point: overall loot is poor at best. We'll use Shady Belle as an example since I do that one often (it's along my hunting/fishing route). It's a larger hideout with a decent number of bodies to loot. On average, I get maybe 1 pocketwatch and around $2.

I'm not being anti-social by not jumping at help. I just play very late at night and usually end up lone wolfing (if my usual running friends would ever get around to actually finishing the story and play online, that wouldn't be the case. heh And a few of them are still stubbornly attached to GTA. Not sure I can blame them since RDO is kind of sparse with content for the time being. That will improve).

For xp, I tend to do story missions until i get bored. I'm contemplating going into PvP/races just to see how it goes. I know there's a fair bit of xp to be had there, at least if you do well (I probably will suck at it).

You seem like a good dude man. You make alot of good points too.

JUST HAVE SOME GODDAMN FAITH ARTHUR

lol im joking. Add me if you want, Stretch188, i play pretty late too and most of my friends cant be bothered. I lone wolf it 75% of the time unless my one buddy is on, and we usually just run the gamut of stranger missions, swinging by gang hideout spawn points along the way. And at this point im personally invested in getting you a treasure map haha.

Also now that you mention Shady Belle the disappearing bodies makes alot of sense. Ive only done that hideout once or twice and i could swear i have more issues than normal at that spot. I usually stick to the New Austin/West Elizabeth gang hideouts, and maybe that is having an effect as well? I think those hideouts are generally a little tighter together.

Im a free aimer so i stay away from the showdowns for now, but the races have been a huge boon of cash/xp/gold for me. I win most of the races i enter and fancy myself quite the horseman, but that might be more due to my strategy than riding ability (stay back early, let the mayhem happen. Use skid stops/turns in congested areas - youre horse is more stable and less likely to get taken out by an oaf. Learn where the double barrel shotguns are on each course and make it a priority to get them, just holding one out is a pretty effective deterrent, and a well placed shot can take out 2-3 riders once you get the hang of it. Oh and dont use the free arabian unless its an open race)

Sorry if i was being a dick at all earlier, i get really defensive over this game for some reason lol. I guess i just have really high hopes for what it could be eventually! Good luck homie!

aurther61287

I loot as I go never got a map over 40 hideouts.

DLKnives

I had the most amazing thing happen - I got a treasure map from a gang hideout! That's the first one in 20-25 hideout clears. I was stunned, and went to get the treasure. .35 gold and $97. :)

Got it off a guy nearest the leader at Cumberland Falls.

RayD70

LOL, @Stretch188

I said I'd try your method. I didn't go out of my way to find hideouts, but if I saw one, I went ahead and attacked it.

So since we last spoke, I did 3 hideouts. On average, 3-5 bodies despawned. Loot though seemed mildly improved (that could still use a buff).

And on hideout number 3 at Twin Rocks, <drum roll> TREASURE MAP! Good one too. 0.48 gold, and $112. (Only took 40 levels)

So, ok. They're not a myth. Still not sold on that drop rate, but we'll see what happens going forward.

Stretch188

See @RayD70, I told you I had a plan -

Now just one more score and were off to Tahiti!

Lol (couldnt help myself) that is awesome dude!!! Im so happy for you. I remember when I was convinced they were BS and i got my first one - i think I was saving up for something but i was so excited/caught off guard i just spent it all on a new outfit lol.

For anyone struggling to find them, have a look at my last couple posts - they helped Ray and maybe they can help you too!

Happy (Treasure) Hunting!

IamCourtney
On 12/26/2018 at 8:50 AM, fejkb said:

I've noticed I sometimes get treasure maps next day. F.e. I did ~5 hideouts, no map, went offline. Next day I have pop-up I have new items to claim from Post Office and it's treasure map. Ofc it wasn't for lvling up. It happend twice. Maybe it's because I started to spare leaders.

Interesting... no message or anything with it? I think I'll start sparing leaders and see what happens...

Qbert

Did they buff treasure map drops or something? I seem to get 1 like every hideout now, I mean not complaining but it's just like night and day

Bakkerbaard
21 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Interesting... no message or anything with it? I think I'll start sparing leaders and see what happens...

Doesn't seem to make any difference on my end. 

But if @Qbert's post is anything to go by it might not matter. I hope that's not just sheer luck.

Chrismads
21 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

I looted a treasure map off the leader one time. If you pistol whip him it counts as sparing him and you can still loot him

Karlitoz-E

I just opened a chest and the reward glitched and I got no money...  🤔

RayD70

2 nights in a row with a map now. Maybe my luck is turning.

But this one was weird. I didn't actually loot the map. And after completing a hideout, I always check my bag in case I missed seeing it looted. No map. But I was feeling magnanimous and spared leaders last night. I did 3 hideouts. All the same. No map looted. Check after completion, no map.

Then I did some story missions (so many lvl 4s and 5s. Made for an... interesting night). I opened my bag to eat something and saw what looked like a map. So I went into that tab, and sure enough, a map was there! I have no idea how that happened, but I'm not complaining. Maybe there is something to sparing the leaders.

Red Lynx 23

Today I got caught in an O'Driscoll ambush, then cleared the O'Driscoll gang hideout at Hanging Dog Ranch. It was one of them that I looted a treasure map off of a dead enemy. At the moment I don't know the number of treasure maps I have looted, or the number of gang hideouts I have cleared. However I am level forty one and have taken down more than fifty hideouts so far.

IamCourtney

Was just about to log off, happened to catch sight of the Skinner Bros. hideout on the border of New Austin and West Elizabeth. Looted a map off of the last body which I almost missed while leaving and turned around to go back for. Also hit lvl 35 during the fight so next time I play it's gonna be a treasure bonanza :D makes 4 or 5 looted maps for me so far. Thoughts and prayers for those still awaitng their first...

BUT THE BENZ

OH WHAT THE ACTUAL f*ck

bluemarsh treasure...FINALLY found it...opened it, and then an alligator comes snapping at me while it registers as "treaure opened and found" award or whatever (for opening 5 treasures I guess)...but I DID NOT LOOT ANYTHING since that thing killed me whenI just opened it....and now it's gone?! WTF!?!??!?!?!

chest is just gone, no map in inventory anymore, what the f*ck this is sooooooooo annoying! why does the chest have to disappear??!?!?! can't I come back there 30 seconds later to just take what's inside?!!?!??!

did the alligator f*ckin eat that chest?!?! goddammit this just ruined my session....and I only started 10 minutes ago.....f*cking sh*t!

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

DLKnives
1 hour ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

bluemarsh treasure...FINALLY found it...opened it, and then an alligator comes snapping at me while it registers as "treaure opened and found" award or whatever (for opening 5 treasures I guess)...but I DID NOT LOOT ANYTHING since that thing killed me whenI just opened it....and now it's gone?! WTF!?!??!?!?!

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I re-spawned and went back and it was gone. Sucks.

BUT THE BENZ

that chest is only available/visible to YOU right? then why have it disappear?

DLKnives

I think it registers that we got the treasure even though we didn't. Needs to be fixed.

4eyedcoupe

I just cleared my 37th hideout and just got my 1st treasure map.  The best part about it is:  I got the map off of the second enemy I killed when the gang attack started!  I hadn't even cleared it yet.  And this was the best looting too.  Besides the small amount of change and ammo, I looted 1 gold watch, and 3 silver watches.  I haven't gotten that much from a hideout before. 💃

The funny thing was, it happened sort of by accident.  I set a waypoint to my camp and went  into cinematic view while I went to the fridge for a beverage.  I cam back to the tv and saw I was getting shot at!

Edited by Jlindstead

DLKnives
25 minutes ago, Jlindstead said:

I cam back to the tv and saw I was getting shot at!

LOL nice! Sweet that you finally got a map!

4eyedcoupe
1 minute ago, DLKnives said:

LOL nice! Sweet that you finally got a map!

It was awesome.  I couldn't believe it

DLKnives
3 minutes ago, Jlindstead said:

It was awesome.  I couldn't believe it

I just got my 1st two nights ago and was stunned and amazed. I was convinced there were no maps in hideouts lol.

Ektope
10 hours ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

OH WHAT THE ACTUAL f*ck

chest is just gone, no map in inventory anymore, what the f*ck this is sooooooooo annoying! why does the chest have to disappear??!?!?! can't I come back there 30 seconds later to just take what's inside?!!?!??!

did the alligator f*ckin eat that chest?!?! goddammit this just ruined my session....and I only started 10 minutes ago.....f*cking sh*t!

I got $160.00+ in my last Treasure Hunt. Imagine if you never got that much...

fejkb
On 12/28/2018 at 7:19 PM, IamCourtney said:

Yup. No notification at all. Got ~3 maps this way and it was around 53, 57 and 61 lvl, so it couldn't be from leveling up (I rush these maps every 5lvls)

BUT THE BENZ
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

I got $160.00+ in my last Treasure Hunt. Imagine if you never got that much...

well, I was looking for that gold primarily, cash you can make pretty quick, gold, NOT that much

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

found 2 maps during last session. cleared 3 hideouts, got lucky in fort wallace, and pike's basin again

treasure locations little creek & hennigan's stead (central). first got me 0.64 gold and 125 $, the second 0.4 gold and 36 $.

made me think, maybe I should have waited and open the 2nd map after disconnecting at least once? MAYBE, the take is less depending on what you already collected within the session?  or it is just a smaller stash to begin with. who knows..

btw, on the matter of how I got the map: in both cases I think it was the LAST enemy defending the leader who carried the map, and I looted those guys BEFORE I dealt with the leader. but then again, it might not have been the LAST enemies, but maybe the ones who were fighting/dropped dead CLOSEST to the leader. that would be more fitting I suppose.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

found another map, as usual by looting enemies while fighting my way to the "useless" leader (who seems to carry the lest of all enemies in hideouts)

treasure location at hennigan's stead (north). got me 0.59 gold and about 120 $

something "changed"....maybe "chances" were increased.....OR, or you have to spend some gold, to find some gold! that's what I did, spend some, find some!

I will not spend gold (I'll try) for at least 3 days and see what's up with that!

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

BUT THE BENZ
Posted (edited)

brandywine drop treasure map (rank-up 25 reward) gave me 0.49 gold and 119 $ in cash. I doubt everyone gets the same rewards with either the maps we found or those we've been given as rank-up rewards.

My guess is the reward is either randomized, like you stand in front of a wheel of fortune and the second you open that chest the wheel stops spinning - or it is bound to your 3-stats-triangle, as in gold bars, cash and rank.

edit: btw I hope it's okay for me to use this thread as a "treasure hunt diary".

so for numbers'/data sake: I also looted that diablo ridge?! treasure map from an enemy, at some hideout in cumberland falls I cannot recall right now, it was a few days ago. reward was okay in gold, 0.59 iirc, but "only" about 49 $ in cash.

Edited by BUT THE BENZ