4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

OG_GhostDog

Red Dead Online - Gold Bar store is open

Mayochiki
On 12/16/2018 at 11:45 AM, kenmy13999 said:

Imo it's pretty obvious the beta is over..  is it normal for a serious developer to have microtransactions enabled in a beta? I understand why R* still calls it a beta tho ;)

This was never a beta and I've been saying it since day one. The "beta" is just there so people or other sites can go easy on them if something goes wrong. I mean, what kind of beta has updates adding stuff? They just wanted to avoid another GTAO launch disaster and people calling them out for the little content there is right now.

kenmy13999
1 hour ago, Mayochiki said:

This was never a beta and I've been saying it since day one. The "beta" is just there so people or other sites can go easy on them if something goes wrong. I mean, what kind of beta has updates adding stuff? They just wanted to avoid another GTAO launch disaster and people calling them out for the little content there is right now.

Been saying the same thing since the beginning, and it was pretty obvious to me after the first newswire post after launch but there's some people here that refused that.. It became even more obvious when they enabled the gold bar shop 

Jason

It's more of a "modern beta" which we've seen a lot on PC in particular over the past few years, also known as early access. They may be truthful in that the game isn't what they want it to be yet so they're calling it a beta to signify that, but it also allows them to cover them selves for certain issues.

But yea, having microtransactions means any cover or protection or w/e you've tried to build up with the beta tag is out the window.

DentureDynamite
2 hours ago, Mayochiki said:

Truth. Betas commonly have all the content needed for release, just need extensive checking for bugs.

Not so with RDO "beta". IMNSHO, it's clear as day it was NOT even close to being ready for any kind of official release, but R*/Take Two didn't want to miss the Christmas season for pure revenue/marketing reasons.

If R* claimed this was "early access" rather than "beta", I would say, "OK, fine."

Because that's exactly what this game is.

Edited by DentureDynamite

Pocket Fox
32 minutes ago, DentureDynamite said:

Truth. Betas commonly have all the content needed for release, just need extensive checking for bugs.

Not so with RDO "beta". IMNSHO, it's clear as day it was NOT even close to being ready for any kind of official release, but R*/Take Two didn't want to miss the Christmas season for pure revenue/marketing reasons.

If R* claimed this was "early access" rather than "beta", I would say, "OK, fine."

Because that's exactly what this game is.

AAA Publishers and developers now treat all their live service games as early access. As they think because they are always adding things, it is therefore never finished....

Kind of like saying I am still eating the same breakfast after all these years, because I keep eating more food. 

psymin

I happily picked up 80 gold bars Saturday. 

however you want to label it, I'm pleased with RDO and still enjoying it for the hour or so I can play a day, and I'd like to support some free content updates. 

Tha-Jamz
1 hour ago, Pocket Fox said:

AAA Publishers and developers now treat all their live service games as early access. As they think because they are always adding things, it is therefore never finished....

Kind of like saying I am still eating the same breakfast after all these years, because I keep eating more food. 

You call it "early access", to me it feels like a Demo and we get the full game later on.

Like Demo's were in the past, you got 1 map and the core gameplay, and the full game release came at a later date.

DonnieVega
15 minutes ago, Tha-Jamz said:

You call it "early access", to me it feels like a Demo and we get the full game later on.

Like Demo's were in the past, you got 1 map and the core gameplay, and the full game release came at a later date.

It does feel like a demo but I don't think we'll just get the full game one day. I think they're just going to chop everything up into separate DLC.

I couldn't really blame them if they did because it'll be a lot harder to keep pumping out DLC a la GTA because of the restrictions given the time period.

Does make me wonder though how long they'll be calling this a "beta"...

Tha-Jamz
Just now, DonnieVega said:

It does feel like a demo but I don't think we'll just get the full game one day. I think they're just going to chop everything up into separate DLC.

I couldn't really blame them if they did because it'll be a lot harder to keep pumping out DLC a la GTA because of the restrictions given the time period.

Does make me wonder though how long they'll be calling this a "beta"...

I think its gonna stay "beta" for a pretty long time.

Cause if they say that its out of beta they have to send in every DLC/update thru Sony first and wait for Sony to check and approve it.

With a chance that Sony doesnt and sends it back for adjusting and they need to go thru that process again.

Unfortunatly thats how Sony works and why more games stay in "so called beta" for a long period on PS4 nowadays.

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, psymin said:

I happily picked up 80 gold bars Saturday. 

however you want to label it, I'm pleased with RDO and still enjoying it for the hour or so I can play a day, and I'd like to support some free content updates. 

'Imma pay for DLC and still call it free'

Now that's gold, comedy gold!

Do what you choose, that's not my point nor my place to say. But to actually pay and call it free is genuinely bollocks.

kenmy13999
1 minute ago, Tha-Jamz said:

Cause if they say that its out of beta they have to send in every DLC/update thru Sony first and wait for Sony to check and approve it.

With a chance that Sony doesnt and sends it back for adjusting and they need to go thru that process again.

Unfortunatly thats how Sony works and why more games stay in "so called beta" for a long period on PS4 nowadays.

They have to send changes in beta to Sony for approval also. The reason Sony needs to approve it is so they know the ps4 can handle the changes and doesn't get ruined. 

Semaj 2JZ♢

I honestly wouldn't pay a dime towards this mess. I was once suckered into the whole "micro"transactions fiasco. By a simple game. An enjoyable game. Milked my sorry ass for nearly 2 grand in "enjoyment" over a 3 year period. Dealing with rampant cheaters the whole time, with little to no repercussions for them. Guess what now? The game is shutdown. My profile; gone. My investment basically stolen right out from under me and nothing left to show for it. It was basically a drug problem and the only dealer there was, got whacked.

Never again. Don't get suckered in, people.

psymin
15 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

'Imma pay for DLC and still call it free'

Now that's gold, comedy gold!

Do what you choose, that's not my point nor my place to say. But to actually pay and call it free is genuinely bollocks.

since I will not be forced to spend any real world money to continue to play the game regardless of what updates come, I consider them 'free'.

as I may never spend any more real world money on gold, and they may go 5 years of adding content earnable in game without fracturing the player base, I'll call them free. 

I would like them to consider RDO as profitable enough to support for a while.

sorry that bothers you mister

Edited by psymin

Lonely-Martin
Just now, psymin said:

since I will not be forced to spend any real world money to continue to play the game regardless of what updates come, I consider them 'free'.

as I may never spend any more real world money on gold, and they may go 5 years of adding content earnable in game without fracturing the player base, I'll call them free. 

sorry that bothers you mister

You paid, not free. What you consider doesn't come into it, you paid more to support new content. Facts are facts.

Doesn't bother me at all, enjoy your game my man. Just found it funny is all. 👹

Tha-Jamz
10 minutes ago, kenmy13999 said:

They have to send changes in beta to Sony for approval also. The reason Sony needs to approve it is so they know the ps4 can handle the changes and doesn't get ruined. 

Correct, i know.

psymin
Just now, Lonely-Martin said:

You paid, not free. What you consider doesn't come into it, you paid more to support new content. Facts are facts.

Doesn't bother me at all, enjoy your game my man. Just found it funny is all. 👹

how about we call them 'sponsored' updates? 

kenmy13999
6 minutes ago, Tha-Jamz said:

Correct, i know.

You did say the opposite? 

Edit: How can anything be free if you one way or the other give money for it?

Edited by kenmy13999

Lonely-Martin
4 minutes ago, psymin said:

how about we call them 'sponsored' updates? 

Good luck with that, lol.

The game will, like GTA, only get content updates (aside the basic stuff missing) if the game garners the money through MTX. All that buy gold are paying.

And paying for freeloaders/leechers like me to play for free aside the grind they manipulate, of course. (Which I will soon, if R* listens).

The argument is old, and the answer the same. A game with MTX does not offer free content.

But as I said, enjoy your game dude. You paid enough for it. 

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Jason

I've learned a few lessons on how and when to support these live service games over the years. There's only been one game that I've poured a good amount of cash into (~£200ish) and while I have no regrets as I loved the game, I did learn that spending money on blind faith that the content will come is gonna end up biting you in the arse at some point, like it did for me as the game shut down.

Basically, don't support these games and developers with the expectation that it'll be worth it cause the new content is coming, support them after it's come. There's nothing wrong supporting games by buying premium currency or microtransactions if they're fair and well priced (RDR2 isn't p2w and the cosmetic prices, for now, are mostly reasonable) but I learned that your support should always come after they've supported you. Blind faith will bite you in the arse eventually.

Tha-Jamz
Just now, kenmy13999 said:

You did say the opposite? 

Well some time ago ive read some article that stated that final releases take way more time at Sony compared to when the game is still in beta.

Could be bullocks, i dunno ?

kenmy13999
1 minute ago, Tha-Jamz said:

Well some time ago ive read some article that stated that final releases take way more time at Sony compared to when the game is still in beta.

Could be bullocks, i dunno ?

That might be, I actually don't know that so won't make a solid statement on that :)

I was in a beta program for Battlefield 1 dlc's and I know that every little change they did there had to be sent to Sony for approval. I also know that they sent some "emergency patch" on a dlc for BF1 to Sony for approval one day and the next day it was ready to download.

Small changes will probably take shorter time to be approved than a final release

Tha-Jamz
4 minutes ago, kenmy13999 said:

That might be, I actually don't know that so won't make a solid statement on that :)

I was in a beta program for Battlefield 1 dlc's and I know that every little change they did there had to be sent to Sony for approval. I also know that they sent some "emergency patch" on a dlc for BF1 to Sony for approval one day and the next day it was ready to download.

Small changes will probably take shorter time to be approved than a final release

Yeah prolly, so i was thinking that maybe we get a big update and is the reason we need to wait untill january ? maybe even early february ?

Or do you think we will get something sooner ?

DentureDynamite
1 hour ago, Tha-Jamz said:

With a chance that Sony doesn't and sends it back for adjusting and they need to go thru that process again.

Unfortunately that's how Sony works and why more games stay in "so called beta" for a long period on PS4 nowadays.

Makes me wonder why Sony hasn't "patched" that cheap tactic from their developers--I sure as heck hope they do.

Sony is big enough and should have the clout they need to do it.