CaliMeatWagon
10 hours ago, Qbert said:

I bought 50 gold bars son yeahūüėé

Thank you for the free (hopefully) DLC

Poggy

How long is the special offer lasting?

SAS_Intruder
On 12/14/2018 at 11:07 AM, djb204 said:

Some people have jobs, kids, and other responsibilities aside from gaming. Not everyone can grind away 24/7. I’m level 36 but I have friends who played RDO since it launched and are only around level 10. Who you call massive losers are most likely people with actual lives.

Honestly,  this is why micro transactions  ( in this  case macro lol) are even more of an issue and should be ignored.  If you are grown man with wife and kids, spending even 20 dollars on virtual gold is bad idea and we shouldn't fall for than. For that money you get get extra groceries,  buy your wife flowers or toys for your kids. Hell, for those who plan to spend even more money, they can actually buy real gold instead on virtual one. 

Callahan44
3 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

Honestly,  this is why micro transactions  ( in this  case macro lol) are even more of an issue and should be ignored.  If you are grown man with wife and kids, spending even 20 dollars on virtual gold is bad idea and we shouldn't fall for than. For that money you get get extra groceries,  buy your wife flowers or toys for your kids. Hell, for those who plan to spend even more money, they can actually buy real gold instead on virtual one. 

Or you buy other games. I just dont understand why people spend like 10$ for a slightly better horse. And especially not at the moment with the big lack of content.imo its ridicolous to charge for all that stuff you get for free in singleplayer.

I understand creating new content costs money,but so far i havent seen a lot of new things...

BUT THE BENZ

they're waiting to see if the playerbase is even worth it. they test us and study our behaviour now, see what we spend money on, the things we want and would be willing to pay for in gold, and so on.

maybe they shelled out free gold bars to draw in more players because the numbers might be lower than expected? why make armadillo a place of action when you can just leave it as a ghost town, for the few players riding through.

Qbert
5 hours ago, SAS_Intruder said:

I hardly think you can say that really, I mean who is you? People can spend money on what they want just cause you don't you can't try to shame them you just come off as a jackass. 

SAS_Intruder
6 hours ago, Qbert said:

I hardly think you can say that really, I mean who is you? People can spend money on what they want just cause you don't you can't try to shame them you just come off as a jackass. 

I am jackass for just saying how spending real money on virtual gold is a bad idea? Ouch,  we live in sensitive times,  don't we? Well, I am old school guy so I could care less about someone's feelings so let me rephrase what I really think.  I think how micro transactions  ( better yet macro) ruin video games and supporting that is plain stupid. Especially for grown ups who could use money in 100 better ways and not to mention how bad influence is that for your kids. Basically teaching them that they can expect pay to win and teaching them to throw their allowance into virtual money instead something real. So yeah, call me whatever you will but I stand behind my words.

djb204
4 hours ago, SAS_Intruder said:

I am jackass for just saying how spending real money on virtual gold is a bad idea? Ouch,  we live in sensitive times,  don't we? Well, I am old school guy so I could care less about someone's feelings so let me rephrase what I really think.  I think how micro transactions  ( better yet macro) ruin video games and supporting that is plain stupid. Especially for grown ups who could use money in 100 better ways and not to mention how bad influence is that for your kids. Basically teaching them that they can expect pay to win and teaching them to throw their allowance into virtual money instead something real. So yeah, call me whatever you will but I stand behind my words.

You have strong views and your entitled to your opinions. Keep in mind that Christmas is around the corner, and many gamers get console currency as gifts (Xbox money/PlayStation money). I can see many gamers spending that money on Red Dead Gold Bars too. (Pat to win) as you call it. But they ain’t paying for it, or spending money on it. Gold Bars are even giftable on the Xbox store. I know many gamers who would love to receive that gift. 

kenmy13999
On 12/14/2018 at 10:27 PM, Qbert said:

Remember a few weeks ago all the hate and trash people were talking about these microtransactions? 

What changed? 

These gold bars are still incredible overpriced imo and is just a sign of the direction the game is going to take in the future. Sure you can get some things out of it now but you also could that in the start of Gtao.. 

And no I don't hate the game, I just think it will be geared to much towards microtransactions, just like gtao is.. 

Tha-Jamz
8 hours ago, SAS_Intruder said:

I really dont see the pay to win here, sometimes i spend money on a really nice and good bottle of single malt because i really enjoy that from time to time, just to treat myself.

Is that bad ? or you dont do things like that at all ?

Kids spend allowance on all sorts of crap, hopefully to learn other important lessons.

Sure i agree that its a bad thing in games overall, but so are many other things in life that are not really okay...

Callahan44

Its no pay to win maybe,but its at least pretty close to it....

But the real bad thing is,you pay for a beta product. You could put pressure on rockstar to release some new stuff. The game atm is only a fracture of singleplayer and theres really not much it does better then 5 year old gta. I just dont get how you can say "this is a great game,i wanna spend some more money on it to buy stuff i get for free in singleplayer". If no one would buy gold there would pretty sure be a big content update before christmas. But of course thats a dream,people would pay for other colors for their horsesh*t.

Tha-Jamz
8 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

Its no pay to win maybe,but its at least pretty close to it....

But the real bad thing is,you pay for a beta product. You could put pressure on rockstar to release some new stuff. The game atm is only a fracture of singleplayer and theres really not much it does better then 5 year old gta. I just dont get how you can say "this is a great game,i wanna spend some more money on it to buy stuff i get for free in singleplayer". If no one would buy gold there would pretty sure be a big content update before christmas. But of course thats a dream,people would pay for other colors for their horsesh*t.

Its really simple, if you dont want to participate in a beta, just dont, its not like you are being forced to do so is it ?

People can do what they like with the free gold bars, and if you dont wanna spend real money just dont...

I didnt say "this is a great game,i wanna spend some more money on it to buy stuff i get for free in singleplayer". didnt say anything like that.

And about the "If no one would buy gold there would pretty sure be a big content update before christmas.", you dont know that..., same as we cant know if the majority is buying gold atm at all.

I agree that micro transactions are a bad thing in games overall, but thats about it, i can only hope this will go away in all games in the future.

kenmy13999

Imo it's pretty obvious the beta is over..  is it normal for a serious developer to have microtransactions enabled in a beta? I understand why R* still calls it a beta tho ;)

Tha-Jamz
Just now, kenmy13999 said:

Imo it's pretty obvious the beta is over..  is it normal for a serious developer to have microtransactions enabled in a beta? I understand why R* still calls it a beta tho ;)

Lol, what is normal nowadays...

kenmy13999
3 minutes ago, Tha-Jamz said:

Lol, what is normal nowadays...

That’s a good question.. 

SAS_Intruder
1 hour ago, Tha-Jamz said:

I really dont see the pay to win here, sometimes i spend money on a really nice and good bottle of single malt because i really enjoy that from time to time, just to treat myself.

Is that bad ? or you dont do things like that at all ?

Kids spend allowance on all sorts of crap, hopefully to learn other important lessons.

Sure i agree that its a bad thing in games overall, but so are many other things in life that are not really okay...

How is it not pay to win? For regular player, he needs to level up and do some serious grinding just to get enough money for better weapons.  On the other hand, someone can just buy good and get almost everything he/she desires which can affect outcomes in race series as well in showdown and free roam. 

It is same they did in GTA. At the beginning we had to level up to get most of the weapons and then invest time to grind for businesses etc. But later they just started selling all those starter packs and what not fir real money and suddenly level 10 player could have everything that level 500 worked for months to get. 

What they are doing with micro transactions is defeating any purpose for regular player to have health competition between them. It defeats purpose of leveling up and learning the game, working on achieving something in the game. Why bother? Someone swipes their card and suddenly they have everything and more than you who played games for months before they did. If that continues it won't be good for players in the long run. Eah, you like the gane and you want to pay everything with real money, but what happens when everyone starts charging fir everything and you are in situation where you play few games at the same time and they all want your money for basic things?  Are you going to spend even more as industry is pushing their agenda? By the time we realize what is going on, it will be to late. Gaming has changed so much in last few years,  we are getting mediocre and even unfinished tames from triple A studios who now charge for almost everything they want. They greed has no limits. Look at the RDR Online, it can barely be called a game at all. It is completely empty, unfinished and full of issues. They didn't work for more than 3 months on it, no way. Yet they already feel like they should sell us virtual gold to buy overpriced virtual things in the game that isn't even finished. And that is ok?

Not to mention how wrong message it sends to our kids and younger gamers who are 8n danger of adapting pay to win mentality which could teach them wrong things in real life as well. Kids are getting completely spoiled these days, you can't punish them, you can't even criticize them. They all get whatever they want, they are all winners. My little cousin got trophy in tennis but he was last placed out of 16 players. He is getting sad smiley as a grade for a work that should be graded with F, at least that is what was like in my time. What's that all about? And on top of thus we should promote pay to win in video games? So that when I am trying to teach my cousin to play chess by defeating him, he can throw chessboard and tell me to die?  I know sound negative but that's what I see in daily life. People and kids expecting to pay their way to something that should be acquired only by time and experience. 

Jason

Horses are level locked, you can't buy them early with gold. Ability cards are also the main source of power in the game (guns don't make much difference) and those are level locked and bought with in-game cash only.

One or two horse breeds have coats that are gold bar only and have better stamina and health which is a bit shady but when you step back and look at the game, it isn't p2w. It COULD become p2w but as of now there's no argument for it.

Tha-Jamz
2 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

How is it not pay to win? For regular player, he needs to level up and do some serious grinding just to get enough money for better weapons.  On the other hand, someone can just buy good and get almost everything he/she desires which can affect outcomes in race series as well in showdown and free roam. 

It is same they did in GTA. At the beginning we had to level up to get most of the weapons and then invest time to grind for businesses etc. But later they just started selling all those starter packs and what not fir real money and suddenly level 10 player could have everything that level 500 worked for months to get. 

What they are doing with micro transactions is defeating any purpose for regular player to have health competition between them. It defeats purpose of leveling up and learning the game, working on achieving something in the game. Why bother? Someone swipes their card and suddenly they have everything and more than you who played games for months before they did. If that continues it won't be good for players in the long run. Eah, you like the gane and you want to pay everything with real money, but what happens when everyone starts charging fir everything and you are in situation where you play few games at the same time and they all want your money for basic things?  Are you going to spend even more as industry is pushing their agenda? By the time we realize what is going on, it will be to late. Gaming has changed so much in last few years,  we are getting mediocre and even unfinished tames from triple A studios who now charge for almost everything they want. They greed has no limits. Look at the RDR Online, it can barely be called a game at all. It is completely empty, unfinished and full of issues. They didn't work for more than 3 months on it, no way. Yet they already feel like they should sell us virtual gold to buy overpriced virtual things in the game that isn't even finished. And that is ok?

Not to mention how wrong message it sends to our kids and younger gamers who are 8n danger of adapting pay to win mentality which could teach them wrong things in real life as well. Kids are getting completely spoiled these days, you can't punish them, you can't even criticize them. They all get whatever they want, they are all winners. My little cousin got trophy in tennis but he was last placed out of 16 players. He is getting sad smiley as a grade for a work that should be graded with F, at least that is what was like in my time. What's that all about? And on top of thus we should promote pay to win in video games? So that when I am trying to teach my cousin to play chess by defeating him, he can throw chessboard and tell me to die?  I know sound negative but that's what I see in daily life. People and kids expecting to pay their way to something that should be acquired only by time and experience. 

Weapons are lvl locked...

And all the rest i already answered, again " I agree that micro transactions are a bad thing in games overall, but thats about it, i can only hope this will go away in all games in the future. "

Im not here to discuss parenting or kids, but on that part i agree with you is all im gonna say about it.

DLKnives

It's not PTW for me at level 19 I cannot buy the best weapons or horses because they are level locked. At 21 I can get a somewhat better horse but the top tier is a long way off if you didn't buy the UE. I bought the Special Edition and we got sh*t.

Jason

The amount of misinformation surrounding RDO is genuinely quite mad, it's been like this since day 1 as well. There's been a lot of valid and reasonable criticisms built on accurate information but there's also been an incredible amount of criticism built on completely incorrect information.

Do some proper research or play the game and investigate these issues for your self before criticising the game cause it's getting quite embarrassing reading criticisms from people who clearly haven't done either of those things. RDO's got it's own fair share of real issues and shortcomings, there's no need to make them up.

TiberiusMcQueen

It's disappointing that this needs to be said, since we can all just go to the games gun store, the handheld catalogue, and stables and check for ourselves. But contrary to what some posters claim here, you can't skip the rank lock on guns with gold, and you can't skip the rank lock on horses with gold. The game claims you can for certain saddles, but it's a bug and if you have the gold it won't actually let you skip the rank, so it's an entirely separate (and pretty major) issue we should be reporting to them.

Crixix

Man, there’s so many judgmental people on here declaring how people should spend their own money.

Some of us want some of the nicer aesthetic things but don’t have the free time to earn them in-game; family or work will do that as some people have said. I’m active duty military and deploy very shortly so I obviously don’t have the time to grind. Thanks to the gold shop, I get to deck my cowboy out in some nicer clothing and gun skins which mind you, provide me no advantage over another player gameplay wise. Looking cooler (which is obviously subjective) is not pay to win. 

Edited by Crixix

Poggy

I got the special deal as an impulse buy.  I have nothing I actually want to use gold on at the moment.  It's just sitting there.  I feel dirty and bad :(

vw61vert

Microtransactions ruin games. Best left for cosmetic upgrades only. Look at Fortnite billions in transactions for cosmetic only. People will buy them and it will not ruin game play. MAKE A STAND!

Qbert

The thing I don't understand is microtransactions are everywhere in basically every game now (life as well) and yet people still make these little youtube videos or go to forums like it's something new...this is old news. If they bother you just take a look around you and you will see that MTs are embedded all in the world around us, ever go to checkout line of your grocery store only to see a bunch of candy bars and soda right there? Why would they be there as there are whole isles dedicated to them? You come in a store for milk but it's all the way in back past 8 isles of stuff you didn't come for but might just might buy...

E‚ÄĘMO‚ÄĘTION

I couldn't resist. ūüėę

I bought the one-time special offer. Saved for a rainy day.

djb204

The way I see it, if you want something then buy it. It your damn money after all. Some people are just salty because others will have almost everything they have for less then half the effort lol. 

Gray-Hand

So far, I don‚Äôt think any other player has ‚Äėbeaten‚Äô¬†me in any aspect of the game because of some sort of advantage they were able to purchase with real money.

Mayochiki

It's a trap, they want us to trust them, and as much as I like traps, this is not my kind.

Pocket Fox
4 hours ago, Gray-Hand said:

So far, I don‚Äôt think any other player has ‚Äėbeaten‚Äô¬†me in any aspect of the game because of some sort of advantage they were able to purchase with real money.

Yeah, but if there's a Project Runway DLC, only those who spent money on gold bars will glitter and shine.

Spoiler

image.gif