1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

isaacster50

Why has their never been a biggie song in GTA?

isaacster50

Pretty self explanatory title, I’m not sure if theres been one in midnight club or table tennis or any rockstar game I haven’t played, but if there is I’d like to know. Otherwise, I don’t think there has been. They’ve had Tupac, Dre, Kendrick Lamar, everything from old to new, unknown to mainstream, so I’m wondering why no biggie. The closest thing they’ve done to biggie is put the song big poppa sampled, “beneath the sheets” in vice city. Maybe it’s licensing or something? But think about it, they love classic hip hop and are based in New York, they gotta know how cool biggie would be in a game

Big_Smiley

The closest chance for a biggie song in a gta was back with IV. R* likes to add realism to their games in one way or another. The only reason why you heard artist like Dre, Pac, Too $hort , Kendric etc... was because their all west coast rappers and obviously LS a representation of LA is on the West Coast while rappers like The Notorious B.I.G are east coast. LC portrays New York so IV would have probably been the closest to feature BIG. A furture gta mabye set in Detroit during the 90's or so would make a perfect setting to feature many east coast rappers like Naz, Jay Z, and some more of Public Enemy mixed with plenty of Mobb Deep mixed with a little of underground rappers. That would a make killer soundtrack. They did it with SA's 90's gangsta rap, a Detroit setting with 90's east coast rap would be grate.  Old school rival sh*t between the East and the West. That's why that radio host on SA's playback FM is always dissing the West Coast in game while Radio Los Santos host Juilo G calls the playback FM DJ wack, lol.

TheSantader25

One of the reasons IV's soundtrack wasn't as good as the other games in the series for me. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Zello

Money maybe. Whoever's in charge of Biggie's music probably charges an arm and a leg to licence it

Femme Fatale
10 hours ago, isaacster50 said:

Between the Sheets in San Andreas.

FTFY

1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

One of the reasons IV's soundtrack wasn't as good as the other games in the series for me. 

lol

1 hour ago, KY Jello said:

Money maybe. Whoever's in charge of Biggie's music probably charges an arm and a leg to licence it

Most likely this, the same reason why The Beatles and The Rolling Stones haven't appeared on a classic rock station.

TheSantader25

I doubt R* give a f*ck about money regarding licensing music since they go all out on this matter based on the songs they licensed before. Didn't they spend 70 million just for V's music? 

isaacster50
10 hours ago, KY Jello said:

Biggies mom runs his estate maybe she doesn't like the idea of his music being in a game about shooting up people and sh*t.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/7533440/notorious-big-estate-life-after-death

Lol but his music IS about shooting people up and sh*t 😂

19 hours ago, Big_Smiley said:

The closest chance for a biggie song in a gta was back with IV. R* likes to add realism to their games in one way or another. The only reason why you heard artist like Dre, Pac, Too $hort , Kendric etc... was because their all west coast rappers and obviously LS a representation of LA is on the West Coast while rappers like The Notorious B.I.G are east coast. LC portrays New York so IV would have probably been the closest to feature BIG. A furture gta mabye set in Detroit during the 90's or so would make a perfect setting to feature many east coast rappers like Naz, Jay Z, and some more of Public Enemy mixed with plenty of Mobb Deep mixed with a little of underground rappers. That would a make killer soundtrack. They did it with SA's 90's gangsta rap, a Detroit setting with 90's east coast rap would be grate.  Old school rival sh*t between the East and the West. That's why that radio host on SA's playback FM is always dissing the West Coast in game while Radio Los Santos host Juilo G calls the playback FM DJ wack, lol.

Makes sense. But look, they have east coast sh*t in San Andreas. Although I meant the whole serious. Also, a Detroit or Chicago GTA would be cool

12 hours ago, KY Jello said:

At first I agreed

11 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

I doubt R* give a f*ck about money regarding licensing music since they go all out on this matter based on the songs they licensed before. Didn't they spend 70 million just for V's music? 

But then I agreed with this guy. Probably strict licensing stuff

11 hours ago, Femme Fatale said:

FTFY

lol

Most likely this, the same reason why The Beatles and The Rolling Stones haven't appeared on a classic rock station.

Thanks for the fix, I could’ve sworn it was in vice city when I heard it. And Rockstar can afford it, they probably just are overprotective of the mueic

toxluv

Dunno, what I see as a real waste tho, was not adding Eminem in MC: 3 DUB Edition (Remix), I mean come on...

universetwisters

Because Biggie is sh*t compared to Tupac and Rockstar knows this sorry not sorry

Helegad

If it's expensive to license, you won't hear it anymore. GTA V's soundtrack must have been so, so cheap compared to Vice City or San Andreas. All the truly big hits in there were all over 20 years old, and probably going for budget rates or as a package deal. The rest was a bunch of indie stuff, and some of those artists don't even have a real EP out, let alone an album.

That's not to say any of it was bad music (except maybe East Los FM). I personally enjoyed a hell of a lot of it, especially the original score and Vinewood Boulevard Radio. But it is all noticeably cheap.

TheSantader25
On 1/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, Helegad said:

If it's expensive to license, you won't hear it anymore. GTA V's soundtrack must have been so, so cheap compared to Vice City or San Andreas. All the truly big hits in there were all over 20 years old, and probably going for budget rates or as a package deal. The rest was a bunch of indie stuff, and some of those artists don't even have a real EP out, let alone an album.

That's not to say any of it was bad music (except maybe East Los FM). I personally enjoyed a hell of a lot of it, especially the original score and Vinewood Boulevard Radio. But it is all noticeably cheap.

GTA V's soundtrack cost 70 million. (Not considering the next generation songs). Pretty much a quarter of the entire budget. Apart from the indie stuff it had loads of big hits in West Coast Classics, Radio LS, LS Rock Radio and Non Stop Pop. 

I'd say it was quite expensive. IV seems like the most cheap game when it comes to soundtracks. It had a lot of songs I had never heard of before. (if we don't consider LCS/GTA III) 

Edited by TheSantader25

Helegad
2 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

GTA V's soundtrack cost 70 million. (Not considering the next generation songs).

Where's your source on that?

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, Helegad said:

Where's your source on that?

I read it back in 2013. I do not remember where. But even without that it's quite evident how expensive V's soundtrack is. 

Helegad
7 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I read it back in 2013. I do not remember where. But even without that it's quite evident how expensive V's soundtrack is. 

Then it's not true, and it's not evident either. Maybe to you, but for reasons I described two posts back, I think V's soundtrack was the weakest and cheapest sounding of the whole series.

If you can't back up your "facts", don't spread them. There is no concrete data for Take-Two/Rockstar's overall expenditure on GTA V.

EDIT: And if you want more evidence that they were cheap, look at how much music was implemented, or planned to be, then cut from the final product. Like 100 tracks wasn't it?

Edited by Helegad

TheSantader25
4 minutes ago, Helegad said:

Then it's not true, and it's not evident either. Maybe to you, but for reasons I described two posts back, I think V's soundtrack was the weakest and cheapest sounding of the whole series.

If you can't back up your "facts", don't spread them. There is no concrete data for Take-Two/Rockstar's overall expenditure on GTA V.

Well what you say isn't a fact either. It's just how you "feel". III/LCS aside IV sounded the cheapest and Weakest of the series to me. Then again V's soundtrack wasn't as good as VC/SA for me. 

I don't have the article link now but judging by the number of hit/big songs in V in comparison to IV one "might" realize it costs much more.

Edited by TheSantader25

Helegad

I never stated how I feel to be fact the way you did. Don't spread bullsh*t misinformation, is all I'm saying.

TheSantader25
5 minutes ago, Helegad said:

I never stated how I feel to be fact the way you did. Don't spread bullsh*t misinformation, is all I'm saying.

On your EDIT:Judging things based on number of "cut" songs(quantity) is absolutely wrong. Specially considering the number of songs in V is actually very high even without the cut songs. 

Also I'm not spreading bullsh*t Just because I don't remember an article link I read in 2013. Watch your tongue and stop being judgemental.  I have no reason to lie. You are free to believe what you want to believe. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Helegad

Tell someone who cares, big boy. Going around saying "70 million" when you don't actually have a f*cking clue is tantamount to a lie, so yeah, I guess you are a liar.

Here's an actual source that states over 600 songs were cut from the final game. You can bet your bottom dollar that a lot of those went down the toilet because they were "too expensive" to license. (inb4 not enuff disk space)

TheSantader25
Just now, Helegad said:

Tell someone who cares, big boy. Going around saying "70 million" when you don't actually have a f*cking clue is tantamount to a lie, so yeah, I guess you are a liar.

Here's an actual source that states over 600 songs were cut from the final game. You can bet your bottom dollar that a lot of those went down the toilet because they were "too expensive" to license. (inb4 not enuff disk space)

I learned my lesson a long time ago. There's no point continuing arguments with your type. So yeah I'm a liar and you're right. 

Helegad

You clearly didn't learn the right one, because you're still talking sh*t.

universetwisters
18 minutes ago, Helegad said:

You clearly didn't learn the right one, because you're still talking sh*t.

I mean in his defense, it costs anywhere between 2,000 to 25,000 to license a song, and there's 162 songs in GTA 5, so that'll put the licensing cost between 324,000 at the lowest and 4,050,000 at the highest. Of course, there's several different factors that could contribute, but that's just from a quick google search and calculations. So get that stick out of your ass and chill out??????

Helegad
11 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I mean in his defense, it costs anywhere between 2,000 to 25,000 to license a song, and there's 162 songs in GTA 5, so that'll put the licensing cost between 324,000 at the lowest and 4,050,000 at the highest. Of course, there's several different factors that could contribute, but that's just from a quick google search and calculations. So get that stick out of your ass and chill out??????

Who is that directed at? Since when is four million even remotely comparable to seventy?

Edited by Helegad

universetwisters
6 minutes ago, Helegad said:

Who is that directed at? Since when is four million even remotely comparable to seventy?

17 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Of course, there's several different factors that could contribute, but that's just from a quick google search and calculations.

One of the Beatles songs in Mad Men cost 250,000 to license, so with big bands in GTA 5 like Kansas, Kendrick Lamar, etc. I can guarantee they weren't gonna settle for anything less than 100k. Sure, the dude could've found a source but damn son don't blow up at him like he burned your house down or something

Spider-Vice

There's a reason most games don't have soundtracks like GTA's. It's extraordinarily expensive. There is no rebuttal to this, licencing music is extremely expensive, and if even certain record labels have troubles re-releasing certain old songs or making compilation albums, imagine a game developer making radio stations.

Helegad
21 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I can guarantee they weren't gonna settle for anything less than 100k.

Who wasn't going to settle for anything less than $100,000? You telling me that some of these labels wouldn't have rolled over and let Rockstar use their music for an extremely paltry sum in the next instalment of one of the best selling video game series of all time, just for the marketing opportunity?

I agree that the bigger artists like Kendrick Lamar and Queen would have cost more, but I can't see East Los FM or FlyLo FM or even that Blonded rubbish costing more than $10,000 for the lot. Not that I know a damn thing about the process behind music licensing, but I do know the lengths businesspeople will go to to negotiate lower costs on a product they want. "Oh, you don't want to give us X for a low sum in one of the biggest entertainment products of this decade, that will expose your products to millions and millions of people and spurn sales and reignite interest after all these years? We'll have a chat with your competitors about Y then, I'm sure they'll see the benefits."

@Spider-Vice, and that's the reason GTA IV's soundtrack wasn't completely removed for the tenth anniversary. The cheap stuff stayed. And most of it was cheap.

Edited by Helegad

TheSantader25

I also wanna add that GTA V is the first game to have a full made soundtrack on it's own. The dynamic OST and some of Radio Mirror Park were exclusively made for the damn game. 

Helegad
14 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I also wanna add that GTA V is the first game to have a full made soundtrack on it's own. The dynamic OST and some of Radio Mirror Park were exclusively made for the damn game. 

GTA V was the first GTA title to have an original score, but that's not saying much when all of GTA, most of GTA 2, and some of GTA III and LCS's music was made completely in-house.

It's not new for Rockstar to design scores for their games either. Manhunt, Manhunt 2, Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption, Bully, and Max Payne 3 all had original scores before GTA V.

GTA V had a lot of original tracks made by high-profile artists, but that was under contract. The liner notes for all of the original tracks on the OST state that they were also licensed from the labels the artists belonged to, so I reckon about half of it was old unfinished stuff picked up again and polished off for the game.

Edited by Helegad

Spider-Vice
13 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

And its made by Tangerine Dream! That could not have been cheap, they're one of the earliest pioneers of electronic synthesised music and Edgar Froese was pretty much a high profile composer. So money wise they definitely didn't go cheap.

Not liking it yourself doesn't mean Rockstar cheaped out at all.

Helegad
3 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Not liking it yourself doesn't mean Rockstar cheaped out at all.

Nobody said that.