1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

joao_PSX

Is Phill Cassidy lying on how he lost in arm?

joao_PSX

So, on the mission "Arms Shortage", at the end of it Phill mentions how he lost his arm in Nicaragua, even though for the best of my knowledge he lost it in a warehouse explosion on GTA Vice City, which Tommy had to get him to the hospital

Is he lying because he's ashamed to tell how it happend or the lore had a conflict?

Evil empire

It looks like since Phil also claims having fought in Viet-Nam in GTA Vice City.

Nico

Keep in mind that when the GTA III script was made Vice City was probably a mere idea for the future. Lots of elements of the GTA III lore had to be forgotten or push aside in order to make space in the game's universe for a prequel. This includes also the "See you in Miami" line that Ray sends to Claude after he leaves the city.

Phil's character was greatly expanded in Vice City and we could deduct that his memory got blurry over time due to his addictions, or his pride got hurt deeply becuase of the way he was injured, so he probably preferred to lie and make himself sound more heroic.

Helegad

I think he's about as full of sh*t as Ray. He lied about losing his arm in 'Nam, and was probably off his face on moonshine during the entire war.

Lioshenka

What Helegad said. He's just trying to sound badass.

Hmmm nice bike

Phil is good with guns, but he's a big bullsh*tter. Even in VC, Cam outright says that he doubts Phil was ever in the army, and I think his appearances in VCS and the game's old website even made it clear.

I think to a character like him, losing the arm was a blessing in disguise since it was another way he could bullsh*t people into thinking he's a veteran. By 2001, he was still keeping up the act that he was an military veteran, when in reality, he was just a drunk asshole who accidentally blew his own arm off.

Motherstep

Maybe he was embarrassed about the ordeal. Imagine the credibility that would be lost if he said he lost it due to an explosion caused by inebriation and incompetence. If I was in his position, you can bet I'd say I lost my arm in the war. It wouldn't surprise me if it was planned from the beginning, showing the reality behind Phil's tall tales. 

What we we haven't touched upon yet is how Phil is missing the wrong arm in III...

universetwisters

Phil Cassidy belongs in a Stolen Valor youtube compilation

DimitriFaustin

The GTA III website even goes as far in its efforts to parody the mainstream media at the time by having the Liberty Tree describe him (the one-armed bandit on the interactive map) as a

"proud patriot" who "gave his all, or at least his arm in fighting for our country." On the other hand, having a seemingly legitimate at first military service does explain why Phil would have

an army barracks-styled hangout at the north end of Staunton Island, living there possibly as a recluse. Though, like others here said, it may have been planned from the get-go that Phil

would have some silly reason in III and Vice City as to why he lost his arm.

Also about Phil Cassidy (not the arm, though), but I never quite got why he moved from Vice City to Liberty City - he seemed right at home in Vice City.

Just my two cents.

Hmmm nice bike
3 hours ago, DimitriFaustin said:

Also about Phil Cassidy (not the arm, though), but I never quite got why he moved from Vice City to Liberty City - he seemed right at home in Vice City.

Just my two cents.

I feel like there should have been an appearance by Phil in SA to help explain this. Liberty City doesn't seem like the kind of place for a guy like Phil, so there'd have to be some reason for him to move there.

DimitriFaustin
On 12/21/2018 at 8:52 PM, Hmmm nice bike said:

I feel like there should have been an appearance by Phil in SA to help explain this. Liberty City doesn't seem like the kind of place for a guy like Phil, so there'd have to be some reason for him to move there.

Exactly - though I'm getting the feeling that Phil being in San Andreas would've happened if a San Andreas Stories had been made. I actually don't think Phil Cassidy would've fit in the saga of CJ, hence why

characters like The Truth and Wu Zi Mu were created.

Hmmm nice bike
50 minutes ago, DimitriFaustin said:

Exactly - though I'm getting the feeling that Phil being in San Andreas would've happened if a San Andreas Stories had been made. I actually don't think Phil Cassidy would've fit in the saga of CJ, hence why

characters like The Truth and Wu Zi Mu were created.

Phil probably could have fit in the countryside in San Andreas, or in the desert outside of Las Venturas. Even if it was just for one or two missions, they could have somehow had CJ cross paths with him. Anything as an excuse to bring back Gary Busey, too.

Evil empire
10 hours ago, Hmmm nice bike said:

Phil probably could have fit in the countryside in San Andreas, or in the desert outside of Las Venturas. Even if it was just for one or two missions, they could have somehow had CJ cross paths with him. Anything as an excuse to bring back Gary Busey, too.

A place like Montgomery would be perfect for Phil with all its xenophobic gun-maniacs.

stef_92

We already discussed this last year (or few years ago). I would state the same - he just said that he lost his arm in  the wr because he was ashamed of the fact that he lost his arm in a very dumb accident. Btw a fun fact is that Phil is the only character ho has a physical appearance in four GTA games.

mustafa the king

sadly yeah 😔

scotthedge12

Damn I love Phil, such a great character.

just do it bob1
On 12/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Nico said:

Keep in mind that when the GTA III script was made Vice City was probably a mere idea for the future. Lots of elements of the GTA III lore had to be forgotten or push aside in order to make space in the game's universe for a prequel. This includes also the "See you in Miami" line that Ray sends to Claude after he leaves the city.

This. Lore in video games sometimes gets messed up from game to game. It's up to the players to decide what is canon and what is not unless the game company comes out and states "*this* is not canon."

Evil empire
On 12/30/2018 at 12:10 PM, mustafa the king said:

sadly yeah 😔

I didn't play the Stories games but he rocks in Vice City.