4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

a z

WTF happened in Blackwater?

FreeMaxB585
On 12/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, Cutter De Blanc said:

If they are setting it up for a Blackwater chapter DLC, I could see that, they've got peices already in place. I think that might be their plan, since as early as 2016 the colter chapter was the intro if you go by the leaked map. I think it has been their intention to sell this chapter to us. The basic plot of the chapter is already sketched out in Arthur's journal. 

I hope not. I want missions and the story before Micah joined the gang. I dont want to see him anymore. Plus it wouldnt be that interesting because we are told over and over Arthur wasnt even on the boat when it all started to go very bad. Dutch even says multiple times "We needed you is what happened" So it wouldnt be all that great. I would rather have a slightly younger arthur and the gang during a time well before they met Micah. Never want to see him again

Gritty Garvey
On 12/11/2018 at 1:46 AM, Edward Nashton said:

The Blackwater job is the "Noodle Incident" of Red Dead Redemption 2. It's a sort of literary device named after an event that happened in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. This description sums it up pretty nice.

"The Noodle Incident is something from the past that is sometimes referred to but never explained, with the implication that it's just too ludicrous for words—or perhaps too offensive for depiction—and the reality that any explanation would fall short of audience expectations." 

I see we have a writer in the building.  Or at least an avid reader.

Edward Nashton
7 hours ago, MagnumOpuz said:

I see we have a writer in the building.  Or at least an avid reader.

I'm just a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes 🙂.

Blasterman4EVER

DLC Blackwater backstory for the win!

Nope. Won't happen. I do want to know though.

FreeMaxB585
2 hours ago, Blasterman4EVER said:

DLC Blackwater backstory for the win!

Nope. Won't happen. I do want to know though.

again it wouldnt be fun at all. because arthur isnt even on the boat when it happens. he is pretty far away and only helped when they came to his group and said they had to flee, so he maybe shot down some pinkertons. I am not interested in playing as Micah or Dutch

simmun

Maybe they have set them self up for a RDR3 where we will explore the story leading up to the ferry heist where they were chased from the west and over the mountains and to WE and Blackwater. it is also becoming evident that the ferry heist and the massacre is the same event. 

Also agrees with you all that is strange there is no sign of railway connection from Blackwater to NA. I think the railway in NA is very strange because why would they have a train going in circles in an empty desert?

Gray-Hand

Blackwater DLC could be potentially doable with one or both of the Callander brothers as the protagonists. Or maybe even Jenny.

Smokewood
On 12/21/2018 at 6:50 PM, FreeMaxB585 said:

again it wouldnt be fun at all. because arthur isnt even on the boat when it happens. he is pretty far away and only helped when they came to his group and said they had to flee, so he maybe shot down some pinkertons. I am not interested in playing as Micah or Dutch

You'd probably be John, if it ever happened.

Oldsport
7 hours ago, simmun said:

Maybe they have set them self up for a RDR3 where we will explore the story leading up to the ferry heist where they were chased from the west and over the mountains and to WE and Blackwater. it is also becoming evident that the ferry heist and the massacre is the same event. 

Also agrees with you all that is strange there is no sign of railway connection from Blackwater to NA. I think the railway in NA is very strange because why would they have a train going in circles in an empty desert?

id hate another story with dutch and the gang. 2 whole games are enough

a z

Adding some images of story cut from the Blackwater opening found around the forum.

pL05ZDq.gif

red_dead_redemption_2_trailer_3_screenca

Read-Dead-Redemption-II-Gameplay-Trailer

Tonesta
26 minutes ago, alz said:

Adding some images of story cut from the Blackwater opening found around the forum.

red_dead_redemption_2_trailer_3_screenca

Don't think this one was cut, as much as moved.

It's the 'You venerate savagery, and will die savagely' speech that we first saw taking place in Blackwater in Trailer 3, and ended up taking place as part of 'A Fisher of Men' near Horseshoe Overlook.

It's clear - looking at the trailers, and everything in them that ended up not making it into the final product - that a massive amount changed and was rearranged in the story in the last year before release. No wonder the writing team was working 100 hour weeks!

Mysterious hero

I've been investigating the Blackwater Massacre on the wiki and something seems off. The wiki has claimed, ever since the page was created in 2013, that 37 people died during the massacre, specifically 22 outlaws, 15 lawmen, with civilian causality being low. I've asked some contributors where the source for the body count is and I got three different sources: word of Landon Ricketts, Newspapers, and prerelease material for RDR1. It is certainly not in the newspapers, trust me I triple checked. The only mentions of the massacre are the articles that concern Landon Ricketts, they don't mention the body count.

I have a strong feeling that the body count of 37 people is a fallacy that the wiki never corrected. I hope this is not the case, but the wiki has done it before, adding information (Landon Ricketts being a lawman, John getting shot specifically at a bank robbery, John's daughter dying of cholera, Nate Johns getting booted out of governor seat, ect) that has no actual bearing in-game. I hope I am incorrect, but until I see a source for the body count, I gonna go ahead and say that it is false.

simmun
On 4/6/2019 at 1:48 AM, Mysterious hero said:

I've been investigating the Blackwater Massacre on the wiki and something seems off. The wiki has claimed, ever since the page was created in 2013, that 37 people died during the massacre, specifically 22 outlaws, 15 lawmen, with civilian causality being low. I've asked some contributors where the source for the body count is and I got three different sources: word of Landon Ricketts, Newspapers, and prerelease material for RDR1. It is certainly not in the newspapers, trust me I triple checked. The only mentions of the massacre are the articles that concern Landon Ricketts, they don't mention the body count.

I have a strong feeling that the body count of 37 people is a fallacy that the wiki never corrected. I hope this is not the case, but the wiki has done it before, adding information (Landon Ricketts being a lawman, John getting shot specifically at a bank robbery, John's daughter dying of cholera, Nate Johns getting booted out of governor seat, ect) that has no actual bearing in-game. I hope I am incorrect, but until I see a source for the body count, I gonna go ahead and say that it is false.

Could very well be false, agree with you there. I guess the only thing we do know is that it was a massacre and by that, a lot of people should be dead. Hopefully, the Blackwater massacre will be the end mission for RDR3 thus ending the epic story of Dutch and his gang

Oldsport

i think 2 games about dutchs clan are enough, no need for a 3rd

Mysterious hero
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, simmun said:

Could very well be false, agree with you there. I guess the only thing we do know is that it was a massacre and by that, a lot of people should be dead. Hopefully, the Blackwater massacre will be the end mission for RDR3 thus ending the epic story of Dutch and his gang

Yeah, it's weird how vague the contributors were with the sources. I remember one contributor telling me the body count came from some prerelease RDR1 material. When I asked them what the material was, they never responded. You would think that if that if they had the source, they would easily give it out. The body count of 37 is the whole reason why so many people don't believe that the Blackwater Massacre and the Ferry Raid are the same event, even though R* clearly intended it to be.

I think doing another game with Dutch's gang is a bit overkill. Maybe as a single player DLC.

simmun
On 4/12/2019 at 6:19 AM, Mysterious hero said:

Yeah, it's weird how vague the contributors were with the sources. I remember one contributor telling me the body count came from some prerelease RDR1 material. When I asked them what the material was, they never responded. You would think that if that if they had the source, they would easily give it out. The body count of 37 is the whole reason why so many people don't believe that the Blackwater Massacre and the Ferry Raid are the same event, even though R* clearly intended it to be.

I think doing another game with Dutch's gang is a bit overkill. Maybe as a single player DLC.

Yeah we'll see. I'm a fan of the storyline so personally, I wouldn't mind RDR3 - there is still a lot of history that needs to be explained/explored to fully understand the gang's motivations, behaviour, etc. A single player DLC that explore the immediate history up to fleeing Blackwater would be adequate enough but hopefully a fully flexed game. I'm very curious about Canyon City and the South Western Territory mentioned in RDR1 - I need to know!