1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
TheSantader25

The RAGE Engine & The Future R* Games

GTA Next Engine  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What Should R* Do For Their Next Game?

• Stick With The Current Engine And Some Minor Improvements
    • Upgrade The Engine In Almost Any Aspect Possible
    • Complete New Engine

TheSantader25

So it's been more than a decade since R* have been using this engine. Do you think they need to develop a new one. Or fully upgrade the current one?Or just stick with the current state of the engine? Is it time to head for something new? I felt some signs of aging for this engine in RDR2 based on some control schemes and rendering qualities. 

Edited by TheSantader25

(Ambient)

I would stick to RAGE, as it's quite iconic to both Rockstar Games and video games engines. Just upgrade it as much as possible in order to not feel outdated and stuff.

Emmi

Stick with it and upgrade in every single aspect!

RedDagger

The problem with discussing game engines is that the only people who really know the engine are those that use it - this is fine for things like UE and Unity, but unless you're a modder it's kinda hard to tell what's going on behind the scenes with the engine. What do you think a new engine would bring that simply doing what they always do with RAGE couldn't?

Spider-Vice

^ this.

Also, from the point an engine is made by a developer and not a middle-man, they can do anything they want with it, without restrictions. They won't really need to change the engine as long as they're not limited by any other software developer. RAGE being based on Angel Studios' engine doesn't mean much as that was proprietary too. Developers like Bethesda are a different story, they are using heavily modded versions of engines created by other software developers that have limitations that might not be fixable, this also applies even to developers like Ubisoft (Dunia/Anvil/Disrupt = CryEngine), even though this is a bigger software house and they've likely done enough to CryEngine that it's almost fully proprietary.

TheSantader25
8 hours ago, RedDagger said:

The problem with discussing game engines is that the only people who really know the engine are those that use it - this is fine for things like UE and Unity, but unless you're a modder it's kinda hard to tell what's going on behind the scenes with the engine. What do you think a new engine would bring that simply doing what they always do with RAGE couldn't?

The only complaint I have with the RAGE Engine is how controls sometimes seem to lack the response you desire. I'm not sure it's even Engine related BUT since this is has been happening since IV(I felt V was really close to solving this though) I thought maybe it has something to do with RAGE.

Emmi
5 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

The only complaint I have with the RAGE Engine is how controls sometimes seem to lack the response you desire. I'm not sure it's even Engine related BUT since this is has been happening since IV(I felt V was really close to solving this though) I thought maybe it has something to do with RAGE.

This is by game design!

TheSantader25
1 minute ago, Emmi said:

This is by game design!

Some of it yes. I'm not talking about animations. We all know how realistic the animations are. It takes a little bit of time for the character to start running,... Which is actually realistic and I like it. BUT there's a certain delay after pressing a button and the "animation" to start. That is not game design. That's input lag. Just look at the stealth button for an example(L3) 

JuliusCaesar

One reason that it changed from III era to IV/V era between III/VC/SA's "push the stick a little, walk. Push it far, trot. Hold X, run. Tap X, Sprint" (using PS controller buttons), into "Move stick as much as you want, you are only going to walk. Hold to trot, tap to run, tap faster to sprint" was because of multiplayer. These binary on/off values are good for MP, but the old "true analog" movement had to go because it's not network play/packet friendly, or so I've been told at least. I argued you just send a value but I was given a bunch of explanations I didn't really understand so I took the word I was given at face value about it and went on with my life lol.

But the simulated nature of the characters and what slows them down in terms of responsiveness, I will liken to the cars. The cars went back to being "too" gamey in V, after being enjoyable but a bit too sluggish like niko and the V characters are. If they did that to the cars, honestly, the characters should have been "dumbed back down" a little, too. If the sim was too much for IV with cars, why did they make it so I can break my face against a wall if I don't jump at it perfectly? 😛

There should be a middle-ground in VI between IV and V. If I am mashing sprint, break into a sprint immediately, don't blend through those animations until you finally let me run like in IV and V. At the end of the day, I'd be happy with another game that plays exactly like IV with V features where the cars just don't look like they have sponges for shocks when turning. But if online is going to be a major focus, it needs to change how they are handling these characters. It does have a feeling that can be described as "cumbersome" to control these characters.

Edited by JuliusCaesar

TheSantader25

I played SA after like 6 months yesterday and I was amazed how quick the same button we use for crouching in RDR2 (L3) works. It was so responsive and well designed. No lag at all. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Sprunkadelic

I mean its not like bethesda's engine and the games end up looking pretty nice still. i personally think we can still milk two more beautiful R* games out of the engine (probably Bully 2 and GTA VI)

Lioshenka

It's time for a new engine. I hated GTA 4 (it was OK to play once, but has absolutely no replayability value), GTA 5 was OK, and they fixed a lot of problems that came with 4, and some areas were almost perfect, but they just weren't SA perfect.

I used to blame story, map, colours, but I realised in the end that it's the engine. It just wasn't as good fun enjoyable game as SA was. If we had to keep Rage a lot of small things would need to be changed for me to like the new game as much as I loved the older ones: I'm not even talking about non-engine specific things like map and characters, but things like lighting, controls and physics for instance.

Edited by Lioshenka

Miamivicecity

I would just rather they upgrade the current one. It would be much more cost effective than building a new one from scratch. It's still a great engine IMO.

Journey_95
On 12/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, TheSantader25 said:

So it's been more than a decade since R* have been using this engine. Do you think they need to develop a new one. Or fully upgrade the current one?Or just stick with the current state of the engine? Is it time to head for something new? I felt some signs of aging for this engine in RDR2 based on some control schemes and rendering qualities. 

Definitely stick to it, the sometimes clunky controls have nothing to do with it. See Max Payne 3 which has more responsive controls compared to RDR2 and GTA V even. I think Rockstar just likes the more "realistic" feeling for their IP's. They could easily change it if they wanted to

TheSantader25
5 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

Definitely stick to it, the sometimes clunky controls have nothing to do with it. See Max Payne 3 which has more responsive controls compared to RDR2 and GTA V even. I think Rockstar just likes the more "realistic" feeling for their IP's. They could easily change it if they wanted to

They have to optimize it for the next game. One can only wish the combat and controls were like MP3... 

Journey_95
12 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

They have to optimize it for the next game. One can only wish the combat and controls were like MP3... 

After the complaints that RDR2 got in this area, I'm sure they will.

Bloodytears1666

Funny, voted for an upgrade, but honestly want to see a new one. Mostly because nor 4 or 5 was really perfect in my taste.

Rage is good in anyway and I play on console, so I couldn't care more about how people who making mods are familiar with it.

MostWantedMVP

Needs an overhaul, maybe a new engine altogether. Call it "RAGE 2.0".

Don't get me wrong it's excellent in GTA IV, RDR, MP3 & RDR2 but it's very outdated in my opinion. I think something fresh is needed for GTA 6 and beyond, otherwise these games will start to feel the same.

I want to see a change in how San Andreas compared to GTA IV.

sebban93557

RDR 2 has best graphics out of any game according to me. And content, animations, living world, it's all on point. Why would anyone think it's not good enough? The detail in everything is amazing. I was blown away with GTA IV, I was blown away with GTA V, I was blown away with RDR 2. 

My guess is they keep improving the engine like they do. Seems crazy that they would suddenly have a new engine. But if they had a new engine with GTA IV I guess it could happen again.

(Online though is always problematic, the graphics and moving parts gets downgraded, but I guess it's because of slow internet speed. Same problem for all developers. )

Edited by sebban93557