3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

NintendoFanboy

Problem with griefing

Tha-Jamz

Private servers/sessions, thats all we need to stop the grief, plain and simpel ? PVE and not limited like in GTAO.

I think this is the best and easyest solution.

Qbert

Pull your gun out and fire 3 shots in the air indicating you are friendly...when you respawn after the person kills you just move on he clearly is a idiot 

Ektope
1 hour ago, Qbert said:

Pull your gun out and fire 3 shots in the air indicating you are friendly...when you respawn after the person kills you just move on he clearly is a idiot 

What a waste of 3 bullets, lol. And it'll scare all the birds away in area if hunting

Edited by Ektope

Hatin Since 87
1 hour ago, Qbert said:

Pulling a gun and shooting to symbolize you’re friendly? Lol if I ride up and someone shoots 3 times I’m taking that as a sign of aggression. 

To all claiming “it’s the Wild West”... might wanna read into history. Most saloons made you disarm at the door. Towns were no firearm zones. Remember the ok corral? Tombstone was gun free at the time. 

To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons (effective April 19, 1881).
Section 1: It is hereby declared to be unlawful for any person to carry deadly weapons, concealed or otherwise [except the same be carried openly in sight, and in the hand] within the limits of the City of Tombstone.
Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.
Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.

Edited by Hatin Since 87

Iash91

How how HOW did they launch RDO with no bounty system? That seems like a no-brainer way to put more control into the players hands in an authentic, cool way. Plus I think that people should not be revealed on the map, but having the map with different sections/quadrants where you can see '5 players in this area', just not their exact location.

Rockstar could actually turn griefing into a fun mechanic for all players;

The bounty system should reward players with a portion of the griefers money. For example, if they've killed NPC's and other players (players cause a significant higher impact ofc), that players name goes onto a 'Wanted' board that you can view in every town. If you accept the bounty/register as a bounty hunter, the players dot is revealed on the map, along with the bounty hunter themselves (to give the griefer a chance of staying away).

If they are killed by a bounter hunter, 5% of the griefers money goes to bounty hunter/posse. If the griefer hasn't been dealt with and continues to be a mole, that percentage goes higher (to a maximum of 10% or whatever). Since the griefer would actually have a financially negative impact, it will make them think twice about being a dick, AND it would help bounty hunters create a sense of community through a 'common enemy'. If the griefer is killed by a non-registered bounty hunter, then they still remain hunted and don't lose their 5-10% of funds.

You could take it one step further in making it more fun by receiving 2% of the griefers funds if you kill them or 5% if you hog tie them and get them back to a sheriff in town. Obviously this would need to be more balanced and looked into as a player could disconnect whilst being taken into town, but I'm sure a system could be worked out. This system alone creates a much more dynamic play style for free roamers, more player interaction and would definitely help drive microtransactions (which seems to be the only way we can 'bargain' for a feature we want).

Clearly players will need a way to get themselves off being hunted, whether that's through having the bounty fulfilled or continued 'good behaviour' for a period of time.

Edited by Iash91

Mik73
24 minutes ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

Pulling a gun and shooting to symbolize you’re friendly? Lol if I ride up and someone shoots 3 times I’m taking that as a sign of aggression. 

To all claiming “it’s the Wild West”... might wanna read into history. Most saloons made you disarm at the door. Towns were no firearm zones. Remember the ok corral? Tombstone was gun free at the time. 

In addition, the real Wild West also had the Permadeath flag set. Which tended to discourage people from going on random killing sprees for fear of it being their one and only random killing spree...

Ektope
2 minutes ago, Iash91 said:

Clearly players will need a way to get themselves off being hunted, whether that's through having the bounty fulfilled or continued 'good behaviour' for a period of time.

I wonder if they already have bad sport lobbies or not

Hatin Since 87
1 minute ago, Mik73 said:

In addition, the real Wild West also had the Permadeath flag set. Which tended to discourage people from going on random killing sprees for fear of it being their one and only random killing spree...

Lol, yes that also. 

Griefers should be subject to being wanted dead or alive, and players can track them down, lasso them, and take them to the sheriff to be hung publicly for all other players to watch. Of course, their posse has a chance to break them out before they’re hung, but it could be interesting. 

Ektope
4 minutes ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

Lol, yes that also. 

Griefers should be subject to being wanted dead or alive, and players can track them down, lasso them, and take them to the sheriff to be hung publicly for all other players to watch. Of course, their posse has a chance to break them out before they’re hung, but it could be interesting. 

Seems like a waste of time. But it could work in adversary mode. The guy who's to get hung in free roam cos of bounty, they can just leave session

Edited by Ektope

Hatin Since 87
1 minute ago, Ektope said:

Seems like a waste of time. But it could work in adversary mode.

Probably right, but I still wanna see the griefers swing from a rope. 

BretMaverick777
2 hours ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

Probably right, but I still wanna see the griefers swing from a rope. 

Or see their corpses in an open casket propped up in front of the sheriff's office.

That's a gruesome historical reality, and one that's used to good effect in showdown games Online already.   Something unsettling about seeing you (well, your character) in a coffin with a bunch of strangers, placed at the foot of the people who slaughtered you.

Qbert

Having a Mic helps also just say I'm friendly yo

Fugitive21

LOL bounties?

Just like GTAO I get a high one I just leave for another server. Bounty goes away. Rinse repeat. I never give a player a chance to collect one.

The FoolYT

No real other purpose to free mode then that really. Hideouts are random. The free mode events kinda suck. Hunting and fishing for money is a drag so they are only doing what is left.

psymin

I hope that random magic-spawning lawmen in the wilderness due to a PvP death does NOT happen. 

a PvP bounty system for murders like FA76  sounds pretty fun in a RDO setting however.

you folk complaining about the lack of civilisation in the old west really should just play a civilised game like GTA. 

that being said I don't shoot first, and 90% of my other-player interactions are peaceful. 

I do so enjoy the danger and thrill of meeting new folk online!

Edited by psymin

Average player, haven't had much trouble with griefing, just takes some situational awareness. If the butcher in Valentine is surrounded I'll head to the next, maybe pick up some more game along the way. Fishing, check the map before each cast. Stranger missions or reading the catalog, check the map. The lasso has done more to keep me in my toes than anything they could have added to this game. NO ONE gets near me when I don't have the  pump-action at the ready and rope is no match for the buckshot. That doesn't mean I'm not hoping for other play options but till then I'll just have to deal with it.

Edited by 1898

deadx23

I've hadn't had a problem with greifers so far, sure some will come over and kill me but as I'm Forced to fight back they loose interest when we exchange kills 1for1 but mostly other players are leaving me be, I mean I am avoiding them and I don't go near "battles".

White Shark

I had a griefer shoot me in the back in Valentine.  Was just leaving a store, and saw him take aim and shoot.  Totally uncalled for.  What's annoying is that there was no repercussion for him.  He was allowed to still hang about town and even use the stores himself.  This shouldn't happen, and it should just be an easy fix to receive a bounty and then be hunted by the law until it's paid off.  As bounty hunting would be abused, don't add this in.  Just give us a strong law presence in towns.

Either way, I hung about outside behind the store, and as soon as he came out, I slammed him to the ground and hogtied him.  I was taking him to my horse but he got free, so we started fist fighting.  He was no good without his rifle and an unarmed target as he was getting punched good.  The coward pulled a knife out on me but I managed to finish him off by dodging and knocking him out.  

I then left the town on horseback so he couldn't shoot me again.

AmyStone
20 hours ago, MostlyPonies said:

Passive mode would let PvP players be free to kill each other while everyone else is free to go about their business. But it can be abused by PvP players. A better solution would be separate normal and passive servers.

Only abused if it's done badly. If you could be killed instantly when you leave passing but you have to wait 15 seconds before you can kill others then it would be hard to abuse.

TyrionV

^^This is the key point for me.

Just now I can just kill anyone without consequences. I don’t, but I could. 

If there was the chance that I lose some gold, cash or even a weapon or whatever then I might think twice about it.

The punishment could get more severe the more of a rampage I go on. So if I end up killing half of Valentine I can’t then complain that 50% of my gold has gone. 

And always make the punishment % based so that it hurts.

Kill me with a double barrel? Chance you’re gonna lose it. Worth it?

The kids who do this crap generally don’t play enough of the normal game to earn the cash to get the best guns so losing a big chunk of it now and again would hopefully make a difference. 

Assblaster

Bounties come out of the perpetrators' money...repurcussions ha ha, hit em where it hurts in their digital wallet. Hell just a few bucks at a time would hurt in this game's economy.

MostlyPonies
44 minutes ago, AmyStone said:

Only abused if it's done badly. If you could be killed instantly when you leave passing but you have to wait 15 seconds before you can kill others then it would be hard to abuse.

That's easy to abuse. Go passive next to someone and have a second person distract them while you go out of passive. The target can either focus on you and get killed by the other person, or the opposite.

It's also used as a way for cornered griefers to escape, although they usually kill themselves instead.

I think setting the cooldown to 10 minutes would be hard to abuse. But again, separate sessions would make a passive mode unnecessary.

1 hour ago, TyrionV said:

^^This is the key point for me.

Just now I can just kill anyone without consequences. I don’t, but I could. 

If there was the chance that I lose some gold, cash or even a weapon or whatever then I might think twice about it.

The punishment could get more severe the more of a rampage I go on. So if I end up killing half of Valentine I can’t then complain that 50% of my gold has gone. 

And always make the punishment % based so that it hurts.

Kill me with a double barrel? Chance you’re gonna lose it. Worth it?

The kids who do this crap generally don’t play enough of the normal game to earn the cash to get the best guns so losing a big chunk of it now and again would hopefully make a difference. 

If GTA is any indication, these sort of people seem to do nothing but play. They're always at rank 200+, will spam rockets like candy, and don't care how much they have to pay for your car they just destroyed. Imposing a fine won't do anything.

TyrionV

Yeah but that’s cause of billionaire days and years worth of glitches. Everything is free to them on gta. 

If they had to ‘earn’ all that cash???

LeftTurnus

A form of Bounty system sounds about right. I like the idea.

Haven't had problems with griefers until last night. How is it fun to shoot someone in the head that just left the butcher?

Or they are in the map screen?

Seriously stupid people out there.

There should be repercussions for actions like that.

Someone mentioned hot zones. That also has potential. Force the players looking to fight to actually have to face someone who will be fighting back in an area.

Qbert

I like to kill those idiots who use that little saint denis rooftop thing, so funny as YouTube assures them that the ladder is the only way up...shot this dude abusing this rooftop earlier point blank in the back of the head didn't even see me. He immediately left the server

MostlyPonies
2 hours ago, Qbert said:

I like to kill those idiots who use that little saint denis rooftop thing, so funny as YouTube assures them that the ladder is the only way up...shot this dude abusing this rooftop earlier point blank in the back of the head didn't even see me. He immediately left the server

Calling someone an idiot for minding their own business killing NPCs. Nice.

Ektope
3 minutes ago, MostlyPonies said:

Calling someone an idiot for minding their own business killing NPCs. Nice.

I was walking around a building where someone was farming kills on cops. I was testing how afraid my arabian black horse would've been by gunfire. I think it is a scaredy cat. Anyway, the guy farming kills sent me a message saying "free loot". So yeah, they aren't idiots.

RayD70
20 minutes ago, Ektope said:

I was walking around a building where someone was farming kills on cops. I was testing how afraid my arabian black horse would've been by gunfire. I think it is a scaredy cat. Anyway, the guy farming kills sent me a message saying "free loot". So yeah, they aren't idiots.

I did that just trying to drive my honor to the bottom. A couple guys were milling around the yard underneath me. I assumed they were looting the cops and thought, "Have at it."

Eventually they tried climbing up that ladder. Let's just say I have trust issues and that was a bad idea. ;)

But an alternate way onto that roof?  Do tell. I was looking for one the other day and couldn't find it. Not that I looked very hard...

MostlyPonies
21 minutes ago, Ektope said:

Do you get a lot of loot that way? I've just been looting jewelry caches on repeat by switching sessions.

Ektope
8 minutes ago, MostlyPonies said:

Do you get a lot of loot that way? I've just been looting jewelry caches on repeat by switching sessions.

I think you would. I wasn't too bothered with looting all those policemen.