4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

HockeyMike24

Let's talk horses

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

What is so good about Mustang? What's the appeal in it? Does it frighten easily? Is it a big horse?

Personally I just like how the Tiger Striped one looks and don't think a top tier horse like an Arabian would suit my character.

AdmiralAssclown

I've been using my free Arabian for awhile and I kinda hate it. I mean its fast and all...but I just hate how small it is. Every time i pull up next to a larger horse I feel like a little kid taking a pony ride at a birthday party. Got my eye on that strawberry red war horse.

Chrismads
17 minutes ago, AdmiralAssclown said:

I've been using my free Arabian for awhile and I kinda hate it. I mean its fast and all...but I just hate how small it is. Every time i pull up next to a larger horse I feel like a little kid taking a pony ride at a birthday party. Got my eye on that strawberry red war horse.

Its not even that fast. I keep up with my possemembers red arabians on my hungarian halfbred. And I keep up while looking boss, and not getting bucket off everytime a rabbit farts. Also my hungarian is much easier to shoot from as it doesn't trip and move unexpected like the pussy arabian.

Edit. By war horse you mean the Ardennes? Please don't. That horse is ugly af

Edited by Chrismads

AdmiralAssclown
2 hours ago, Chrismads said:

By war horse you mean the Ardennes? Please don't. That horse is ugly af

Yep. Strawberry Roan? I think it's called. Looks pretty dope to me. Would be nice to be able to do an actual walk around of the horses and get a good look before we buy, instead of just a close up of the face, like your looking at it through a peephole

Chrismads
8 hours ago, AdmiralAssclown said:

Yep. Strawberry Roan? I think it's called. Looks pretty dope to me. Would be nice to be able to do an actual walk around of the horses and get a good look before we buy, instead of just a close up of the face, like your looking at it through a peephole

I used the pre order one in single player but had to sell it cause it was too ugly. But each to their own. :D

BUT THE BENZ

uhm, is it common for about 15-20 horses to gather near macfarlane's ranch?! I ran into them....like 4 or 5 posses all left their horses there...just me and all those SADDLEBAGS....great looting ratio right there!

must have been buggy though. one of the horses was crawling around half sunken into the ground. and all the horses were like, jammed up and stood really close to each other. I took screenshots, will upload that, soon...maybe

Edited by BUT THE BENZ

Pocket Fox
1 hour ago, BUT THE BENZ said:

uhm, is it common for about 15-20 horses to gather near macfarlane's ranch?! I ran into them....like 4 or 5 posses all left their horses there...just me and all those SADDLEBAGS....great looting ratio right there!

must have been buggy though. one of the horses was crawling around half sunken into the ground. and all the horses were like, jammed up and stood really close to each other. I took screenshots, will upload that, soon...maybe

Another play may have done a mission and those are the horses of the AI pursuers.

Dr.Rosenthal
On 12/19/2018 at 4:13 PM, éX-Driver said:

Sometimes I think I’m the only one that literally couldn’t care less about horses. I’ve shot mine dead more than once out of anger with it doing something stupid. 

Ehm.. maybe that’s a sign that you should care more about horses then? 😁 This whole thread is literally about discussing which horses are good for certain conditions and if you find yourself wanting to shoot your horse maybe you’ve got the wrong one, lol.

OnT, I’m using the Arabian but it’s starting to wear on me. Seems to get even worse every day, it’s just constantly nervous no matter how much I clean it, feed it or pat it. Moment I get off I have to whistle for it to not run away from me. But I reckon it’s just that kind of horse - I’ll get another one eventually and use the Arabian primarily for races.

I like shooting from horseback and even got the Ability card for it, so I feel I could benefit from a less skittish horse. However, I’ve learned how to use the Arabian and it rarely throws me off but just having to hear it freak out all the time gets annoying, lol.

So, from what I gather the Turkoman seems like a good horse with both decent speed and a clear head, I’ll probably go with that one but still ways to go til I can get it.

éX-Driver
2 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Ehm.. maybe that’s a sign that you should care more about horses then? 😁 This whole thread is literally about discussing which horses are good for certain conditions and if you find yourself wanting to shoot your horse maybe you’ve got the wrong one, lol.

OnT, I’m using the Arabian but it’s starting to wear on me. Seems to get even worse every day, it’s just constantly nervous no matter how much I clean it, feed it or pat it. Moment I get off I have to whistle for it to not run away from me. But I reckon it’s just that kind of horse - I’ll get another one eventually and use the Arabian primarily for races.

I like shooting from horseback and even got the Ability card for it, so I feel I could benefit from a less skittish horse. However, I’ve learned how to use the Arabian and it rarely throws me off but just having to hear it freak out all the time gets annoying, lol.

So, from what I gather the Turkoman seems like a good horse with both decent speed and a clear head, I’ll probably go with that one but still ways to go til I can get it.

Principally I use the Andalusian. Sometimes an Appaloosa. They still spook at everything and ignore orders. 

Red Lynx 23

If you are currently level thirty three, which is the best Warhorse to invest in? The current choices are two of the Ardennes. 

yeezy203
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:04 PM, Ektope said:

What is so good about Mustang? What's the appeal in it? Does it frighten easily? Is it a big horse?

It's my favorite (the tiger striped bay with better speed) because I think it's the most balanced horse in the game. With half work/war attributes it doesn't scare at all and has the endurance to go long distances without losing speed or getting tired. That doesn't even mention when you start upgrading stirrups. It's a tank that doesn't run from anything, runs over most animals and has decent speed to work with. My next favorite is the Turkoman but I just hate how it squeals all the time for no reason it's so antsy. Mustang is calm and is just so reliable most of time.

Edited by yeezy203

Ektope
4 minutes ago, yeezy203 said:

It's my favorite (the tiger striped bay with better speed) because I think it's the most balanced horse in the game. With half work/war attributes it doesn't scare at all and has the endurance to go long distances without losing speed or getting tired. That doesn't even mention when you start upgrading stirrups. It's a tank that doesn't run from anything, runs over most animals and has decent speed to work with. My next favorite is the Turkoman but I just hate how it squeels all the time for no reason it's so antsy. Mustang is calm and is just so reliable most of time.

https://uk.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Red_Dead_Online_Horses

Tiger Striped Bay Mustang 48 14 Gold Bars Multi 50 50 40 30

Silver Turkoman 60 38 Gold Bars Multi 70 50 60 50

Turkoman still has better health, same stamina, better speed and better acceleration.

And if mustang doesn't scare easily, just like the turkoman. That literally makes turkoman better in every aspects stats wise. Except the colours, size and squealing.

BearChow
On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, Tha-Jamz said:

Dunno if thats gonna be implemented in the future but for now we cant sell horses.

I hope they do implement some sort of a sell wild/stolen horse for cash!

yeezy203
1 hour ago, Ektope said:

https://uk.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Red_Dead_Online_Horses

Tiger Striped Bay Mustang 48 14 Gold Bars Multi 50 50 40 30

Silver Turkoman 60 38 Gold Bars Multi 70 50 60 50

Turkoman still has better health, same stamina, better speed and better acceleration.

And if mustang doesn't scare easily, just like the turkoman. That literally makes turkoman better in every aspects stats wise. Except the colours, size and squealing.

Stats wise yes the Turkoman is better but I think the Mustang is slightly more courageous against predators just in my experience at least in SP. I'm willing to take a hit on speed for that. I do a lot of hunting and roaming so I really hate when they get scared of wolves and snakes. A pack of wolves can surround me on the mustang and it will not bat an eye.

Red Lynx 23
5 hours ago, yeezy203 said:

Stats wise yes the Turkoman is better but I think the Mustang is slightly more courageous against predators just in my experience at least in SP. I'm willing to take a hit on speed for that. I do a lot of hunting and roaming so I really hate when they get scared of wolves and snakes. A pack of wolves can surround me on the mustang and it will not bat an eye.

Which Mustang do you currently use? I'm leveled up enugh for the first two, and have been using a Wild Bay Mustang. Wolves scare her, but they never have enough to get bucked off and left for dead. I'm about halfway to level thirty six, then I can buy an Andalusian Warhorse. Quite a ways to go to unlock the Tiger Bay Mustang.

Amy Vinewood
On 12/23/2018 at 5:01 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

You must be lucky lol, everytime I tried to search a saddlebag I ended up with a hoof to the face

Pocket Fox
On 12/24/2018 at 5:08 AM, Red Lynx 23 said:

If you are currently level thirty three, which is the best Warhorse to invest in? The current choices are two of the Ardennes. 

Wait til 36 for the Andalusian.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:07 AM, éX-Driver said:

Principally I use the Andalusian. Sometimes an Appaloosa. They still spook at everything and ignore orders. 

All horses will spook, but to varying degrees. A pack of wolves head on to an Andalusian and she'll complain, but won't throw you for a while. She can skirt around a cougar too, but if it gets to her rear she'll throw you.

Meanwhile, Fox Trotter will often stop...wait...then throw you at the very mention of a cougar.

Red Lynx 23
7 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

I did, and purchased an Ardennes Dark Bay Coat. Even when face to face with Wolves and Bears, that horse is timid af compared to the Wild Bay Mustang. After being thrown off of her while confronting Bears, Mountain Lions, and even Wolves I brought my trusty Wild Bay out of the Stables. The Ardennes only advantage over the Wild Bay that I can see, is more stamina. 

éX-Driver
8 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

All horses will spook, but to varying degrees. A pack of wolves head on to an Andalusian and she'll complain, but won't throw you for a while. She can skirt around a cougar too, but if it gets to her rear she'll throw you.

Meanwhile, Fox Trotter will often stop...wait...then throw you at the very mention of a cougar.

And when they do, they take buckshot to the face. 

BUT THE BENZ
11 hours ago, Amy Vinewood said:

You must be lucky lol, everytime I tried to search a saddlebag I ended up with a hoof to the face

oh not THAT lucky, I took several hooves to the face aswell, AND in the back ;D

just popped in some salted beef and drank tonics inbetween horses, it's what you loot most of the time from saddlebags anyway

Vercetti27

ok maybe this has already been answered but can we tame wild horses in online? i tried to get the wild arabian and went up north near the lake where i found it in story mode but it wasn't there - i assume rockstar are forcing us to part with money? cuz i'm lumbered with the kentucky saddler. 

is it worth it to wait ages and save up or purchasing gold bars?

DrKrankenstein
14 minutes ago, Vercetti27 said:

ok maybe this has already been answered but can we tame wild horses in online? i tried to get the wild arabian and went up north near the lake where i found it in story mode but it wasn't there - i assume rockstar are forcing us to part with money? cuz i'm lumbered with the kentucky saddler. 

purchasing gold bars for horses has no point, their level locked.

_-Chy-_

The Arabian horses are great, but in my view NOT a suited horse for Arthur Morgan or a big RDR2 online character. I know I shouldn't be superficial, but it just looks out of place.(for me at least.)

In SP on my 1st play-through, I finished the main story with a female golden Turkoman. A fantastic horse! Best all-rounder in my view! Arthur and I became very attached to it, so needless to say:(spoilers)

Spoiler

when that horse died in the last scenes of chapter 6, and Arthur said the final thankful farewell to it; that was probably one of the most emotional scenes in the game for me.

On my 2nd play-through, I tested out most of the better horses early on. I ended up with the silver dapple pinto Missouri Fox Trotter, because I loved the stats & looks, and in my view it suited Arthur perfectly:

Now, in RD2 Online, where I created a slim female character, I actually love to use the Arabian horse. Using the free(PS4) Red/Chestnut Arabian for now, and I'll consider getting her a black one later on to get the much better stats. We'll see. 
I personally find handling, speed, and stamina(and to certain degree health), to be the most vital stats for horses.

I know the Arabian horses are much more easily scared/agitated compared to many other breeds. But I found out that the frequency of such situations happened much more sporadically comparing to the moments where I just needed speed, acceleration, handling & stamina. So in RDR2 Online I think I will continue to prefer the Arabian horses for now.

Maybe when more game modes appear, where courage becomes far more important stat for the horse than it is now,(and/or R* opens more character slots so I can make a big Arthur-type guy), I might get back to the Turkoman or Fox trotter again.

Edited by _-Chy-_

_-Chy-_
4 hours ago, Vercetti27 said:

Sadly no! I was very disappointed on my 1st day in RDR2 Online, when I used an hour chasing a beautiful wild horse that I managed to tame. Only to find out a little later that it was not possible to keep it permanently. As far as I understood correctly: all PS4 users (and in a few days all XBOX users) get the red/chestnut Arabian for free. That is more than you need as a starter, and for many it probably is all the horse you'll ever need.

Pressure Drop

The free PS4 Arabian will be free for xbox users soon, it's just ps4 got those things 1 month early with the Sony exclusivity deal.

I have used my day 1 horse right up to level 19 where I am now. I will take the free Arabian when it is available, but I will only use it until I am level 56, when I can unlock the Turkoman, the horse I actually want. I don't like the Arabian, it's too small and easily scared. Turkoman or Fox Trotter are much better horses.

Don't forget to pickup the free High Roller Pistol too on xbox when available!

We Are Ninja
On 12/22/2018 at 3:00 PM, AdmiralAssclown said:

That  Adrenees is godly. I haven't even unlocked the strawberry version yet. The base version is unf*ckwithable. The only time it ever threw me was when I provoked a bear with my varmint rifle. (I thought I was holding my Rolling Block... -_-) And, even then, it didn't flip out until after it charged, and was within mauling distance. I even got myself surrounded by a whole pack of wolves. And a pack of O'Driscoll's. And a pack  the Mufrees. Athena held it down. She didn't throw me ONCE. Beast mode.

BUT THE BENZ
On 12/23/2018 at 11:01 AM, BUT THE BENZ said:

one of the horses was crawling around half sunken into the ground. and all the horses were like, jammed up and stood really close to each other. I took screenshots, will upload that, soon...maybe

hello horseeeeeees

vZ5VFtS.jpg