Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

HockeyMike24

Let's talk horses

Recommended Posts

icefds
13 minutes ago, We Are Ninja said:

I appreciate the suggestion. Did it twice. :/ Fed horse, then launched fast travel from Rhodes to Saint Denis while on horse. Horse was nearly dead when I spawned. Tried it again from Saint Denis to Rhodes, this time off horse, but with horse nearby. Same result. Horse teetering like it wants to fall over when it spawns. -_-

 

 

 

Sorry to hear this. Game has a lot of bugs/weird sh*t happening.

Same with the weight system. I can eat 10 steaks a day and i'm still underweight.

 

Only other thing that comes to my mind: critically injure the horse, let it die/shoot it, then call for a new one.

 

Edited by icefds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ibsmokin
2 hours ago, We Are Ninja said:

I'll give it a shot. I've been at this for nearly an hour....

 

EDIT: No dice. I appreciate the suggestion, though. :(

Was hoping that might be the issue but oh well. Have you tied actually killing it? Jump it off a cliff then mercy kill it with your pistol then do the heal thing or find a new free roam session and see if it spawns yatta yatta just make sure you fast travel first after you kill your horse so it saves. Seems like you’ve tried everything, have you tried this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neeloc

I have the free Arabian, but he's way too skittish and very untrustful, so I use it just for long distance rides and races. Bought my first war horse at lv 20-something (don't remember the breed name, but its the first one thats get avaible) and now im riding an Andaluz, loving it all the way. I can't stand "race" horses, hate when I got into a pack of wolves, a cougar or a gun-fight and the f*cker throws me off... so probably I'll stick with them till I can get the brown Turkoman, wich I loved on the SP and I hope it's equally trusty online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We Are Ninja
12 hours ago, icefds said:

 

Sorry to hear this. Game has a lot of bugs/weird sh*t happening.

Same with the weight system. I can eat 10 steaks a day and i'm still underweight.

 

Only other thing that comes to my mind: critically injure the horse, let it die/shoot it, then call for a new one.

 

 

10 hours ago, ibsmokin said:

Was hoping that might be the issue but oh well. Have you tied actually killing it? Jump it off a cliff then mercy kill it with your pistol then do the heal thing or find a new free roam session and see if it spawns yatta yatta just make sure you fast travel first after you kill your horse so it saves. Seems like you’ve tried everything, have you tried this? 

I considered putting it out of it's misery multiple times. Every time it comes limping over after a cutscene, honestly. Not because I hate it, but because the poor thing is probably miserable. I'm gonna grow a pair and kill it when I get home. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tha-Jamz
36 minutes ago, Neeloc said:

I have the free Arabian, but he's way too skittish and very untrustful, so I use it just for long distance rides and races. Bought my first war horse at lv 20-something (don't remember the breed name, but its the first one thats get avaible) and now im riding an Andaluz, loving it all the way. I can't stand "race" horses, hate when I got into a pack of wolves, a cougar or a gun-fight and the f*cker throws me off... so probably I'll stick with them till I can get the brown Turkoman, wich I loved on the SP and I hope it's equally trusty online.

You just cant ride ;) i got no problem keeping this horse under me, not even when i get attacked by wolves or a cougar.

I like it when my horse warnes me early so i can anticipate and give the predator no chance to come close.

Just takes a lill more work riding a horse with such temperament...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDeadNedKelly

Can’t see myself swapping my UE black thoroughbred for anything, he’s kind of grown on me but I do have a horse related question.

Buck Nasty seems to be a really cantankerous old bastard, he regularly kicks players who get too close and today I swear he tried to bite me.

Is this because I’ve got it set so no one but me can use him? Or is it because the players who got too close were trying to steal him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
•—•
23 minutes ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

Buck Nasty seems to be a really cantankerous old bastard, he regularly kicks players who get too close and today I swear he tried to bite me.

 

I think he got lumbago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
yeezy203

I plan on leveling up to get the Hungarian half breed then I'll use that until I can be reunited with the trusty Tiger Striped Mustang. Loved that horse in SP and will mostly be my go-to online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hotrats773

I'm sticking with my arabian to see how it is when they fix the bonding. If it's still a skittish asshole, it will be glue very quickly. For now, I have to be ready to bolt when it sees a bear/wolves/chipmunk/falling leaf.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

All the Arabians are skittish, bonding won't fix it. You can manage it by keeping your distance from big game or by not riding into the middle of heavy combat on horseback but yea, it spooks easy no matter what coat or bonding level.

 

War horses are easily the best horses for free roam if you ask me, the Turkoman is IMO the best overall breed in the game. The only horse faster in a straight line is the Fox Trotter but you get the bravery of a war horse too. I ride mine right next to gators and through swamps all the time and it's never so much as batted an eye lid. I also do a ton of horseback combat cus exp bonuses and again, it's completely fine every time, even when I ride it into the middle of gang hideouts with turrets blasting away at me.

 

Tbh, if you wanna min/max then your only horse options are the Turkoman (for bravery) or the Fox Trotter (for speed). The Arabian's are well balanced and look nice but they spook easier than both those breeds so there aint much point. The pure war horses (Half-Bred, Ardennes, Andalusian) are also good, you sacrifice speed but a nuclear bomb going off wouldn't spook those things lol.

Edited by Jason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tha-Jamz
42 minutes ago, Jason said:

All the Arabians are skittish, bonding won't fix it. You can manage it by keeping your distance from big game or by not riding into the middle of heavy combat on horseback but yea, it spooks easy no matter what coat or bonding level.

 

War horses are easily the best horses for free roam if you ask me, the Turkoman is IMO the best overall breed in the game. The only horse faster in a straight line is the Fox Trotter but you get the bravery of a war horse too. I ride mine right next to gators and through swamps all the time and it's never so much as batted an eye lid. I also do a ton of horseback combat cus exp bonuses and again, it's completely fine every time, even when I ride it into the middle of gang hideouts while turrets blasting away at me.

 

Tbh, if you wanna min/max then your only horse options are the Turkoman (for bravery) or the Fox Trotter (for speed). The Arabian's are well balanced and look nice but they spook easier than both those breeds so there aint much point. The pure war horses (Half-Bred, Ardennes, Andalusian) are also good, you sacrifice speed but a nuclear bomb going off wouldn't spook those things lol.

 

Yeah there skittish but also easy to calm down.

It takes a lill extra effort during certain situations (gun fights/Big game) but i like that.

But maybe ill end up with the Fox trotter or maybe even the Mustang later in the game, really dont know yet.

I like the looks of the champagne Fox, but i really like the handling on the Arabian so i might end up with 2 horses, i dont like the build of the Andalusian and i think the Turkoman looks better.

So maybe my 2nd horse could be the Turkoman (light brown)

 

But what i really hope for is R* introducing more horse breeds in the near future...

 

Edited by Tha-Jamz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We Are Ninja
4 hours ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

Can’t see myself swapping my UE black thoroughbred for anything, he’s kind of grown on me but I do have a horse related question.

Buck Nasty seems to be a really cantankerous old bastard, he regularly kicks players who get too close and today I swear he tried to bite me.

Is this because I’ve got it set so no one but me can use him? Or is it because the players who got too close were trying to steal him?

The UE thoroughbred was a HUGE leg up... I just don't like how it looks. And it's not Arabian skittish, but it's left me to fend for myself against all sorts of threats. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IamCourtney

How big a difference does size, height in particular, make? I've tended to prefer more short and compact mounts (Mustang in SP, Arabian online) so I don't have much firsthand experience with bigger boys.

 

It seems like a shorter horse should be better for riding through heavy wood (less chance of getting clotheslined by branches) and give a lower profile for using terrain as cover.

 

Do taller horses jump obstacles better? Cross water quicker? (I assume they can get deeper in before they need to start swimming?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gray-Hand
2 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

How big a difference does size, height in particular, make? I've tended to prefer more short and compact mounts (Mustang in SP, Arabian online) so I don't have much firsthand experience with bigger boys.

 

It seems like a shorter horse should be better for riding through heavy wood (less chance of getting clotheslined by branches) and give a lower profile for using terrain as cover.

 

Do taller horses jump obstacles better? Cross water quicker? (I assume they can get deeper in before they need to start swimming?)

I find that hunting from horseback (rabbits etc) is better on a big horse.  Being slightly higher does actually make a noticeable difference to being able to see over obstacles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We Are Ninja
On 12/17/2018 at 7:23 AM, We Are Ninja said:

 

I considered putting it out of it's misery multiple times. Every time it comes limping over after a cutscene, honestly. Not because I hate it, but because the poor thing is probably miserable. I'm gonna grow a pair and kill it when I get home. :(

I booted up the game, and Athena had half health (as opposed to NO health). I fed her, then completed  a story mission. She still had her full health from before. Thankfully, murdering her wasn't necessary. Her health still goes down to zero when exiting the stables, but other than that, she appears fine...

 

I appreciate all y'all's help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
éX-Driver

Sometimes I think I’m the only one that literally couldn’t care less about horses. I’ve shot mine dead more than once out of anger with it doing something stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pocket Fox
1 hour ago, éX-Driver said:

Sometimes I think I’m the only one that literally couldn’t care less about horses. I’ve shot mine dead more than once out of anger with it doing something stupid. 

You can't shoot them. But you can dynamite them or punch them.

 

More importantly though, finally level 58 so I got my blue/white Missouri Fox Trotter. Named her, Eureka.

 

Thinking about a Turkoman next. Can't decide on Silver or Gold.

Gold - Sovereign

Silver - Sterling

 

Edit: Eurkea

 

Spoiler

DuylPtjUcAAfksC.jpg:large

 

Edited by Pocket Fox
Added my horsey photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tha-Jamz
2 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

You can't shoot them. But you can dynamite them or punch them.

 

More importantly though, finally level 58 so I got my blue/white Missouri Fox Trotter. Named her, Eureka.

 

Thinking about a Turkoman next. Can't decide on Silver or Gold.

Gold - Sovereign

Silver - Sterling

`Gratz, i like the gold one :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simpjkee

I've got the free horse at the beginning. I think it's a Tenessee Walker. I've got the free arabian. I just got a free thoroughbred that I've been bonding up to use in horse races since it seems to be faster than the arabian. I also bought a mustang because I read in these forums that it's a good all around horse that is speedy, but isn't afraid of predators and stuff. My fifth horse will probably be one of the big war horses or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaliMeatWagon
On 12/17/2018 at 5:49 AM, RedDeadNedKelly said:

Can’t see myself swapping my UE black thoroughbred for anything, he’s kind of grown on me but I do have a horse related question.

You can call it an Arabian, it's not racist...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Smokewood
On 12/17/2018 at 7:34 AM, Tha-Jamz said:

You just cant ride ;) i got no problem keeping this horse under me, not even when i get attacked by wolves or a cougar.

I like it when my horse warnes me early so i can anticipate and give the predator no chance to come close.

Just takes a lill more work riding a horse with such temperament...

it will throw you, just wait.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ibsmokin
5 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

You can't shoot them. But you can dynamite them or punch them.

 

More importantly though, finally level 58 so I got my blue/white Missouri Fox Trotter. Named her, Eureka.

 

Thinking about a Turkoman next. Can't decide on Silver or Gold.

Gold - Sovereign

Silver - Sterling

 

Edit: Eurkea

 

  Hide contents

DuylPtjUcAAfksC.jpg:large

 

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to get that horse back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Red Lynx 23

Two videos so far, where I took my Blood Bay Mustang named Akane to Tall Trees. If you just stay still and try to shoot the Bear, then the Blood Bay Mustang will eventually buck you off and run away. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
•—•
14 minutes ago, ibsmokin said:

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to get that horse back. 

The first time when I saw a friend with it in-game. I thought it looked like a cow. Cos of the colours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ibsmokin
21 minutes ago, Ektope said:

The first time when I saw a friend with it in-game. I thought it looked like a cow. Cos of the colours.

Hahah never even thought of that. Damn silver Turk is crazy gold though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tha-Jamz
3 hours ago, Smokewood said:

it will throw you, just wait.....

Hahahaha u would like that wouldnt you lol !

Seriously, i know my horse is skittish in certain situations, so i adapt.

Attacked by 4 wolves ? i give him free reins (is that the correct word ?) and calm him during the situation.

I also shoot at the wolves (kill em), i read my horse and because the skittish behaviour he warns me early compared to a war horse.

 

As i said, i like the temperament and to adapt to his behaviour in moments like that.

Its more of a challenge.

Gun fights (ambush)  i get of my horse as fast as i can, sometimes i also do this when attacked by a bear or cougar.

Because of the early warnings i have time and enough distance between me and the predator to pull this off.

 

Maybe i get bucked of sometime in the future but till now we are doing fine.

My horse and me are as one... ;)

 

Lets ride !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pocket Fox
6 hours ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

You can call it an Arabian, it's not racist...

The Ultimate Edition horse is the Black Thoroughbred though. The Arabian is another horse and is indeed called an Arabian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDeadNedKelly
7 hours ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

You can call it an Arabian, it's not racist...

Except it’s a Thoroughbred  champ, the Arabian is different. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaliMeatWagon
3 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

The Ultimate Edition horse is the Black Thoroughbred though. The Arabian is another horse and is indeed called an Arabian.

 

3 hours ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

Except it’s a Thoroughbred  champ, the Arabian is different. 😂

 

I was thinking UE, United Emirates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
•—•

What is so good about Mustang? What's the appeal in it? Does it frighten easily? Is it a big horse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.