4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Let's talk horses

HockeyMike24

5 hours ago, Menstrual Deranged said:

Good to know, I was wondering if mine was just glitched out or something! Sadly, I think I'll have to put Mr. Ovar Ease away when I want to do Day of Reckoning because Lord Thicchoof wins him over in the badassery scale. 😆

I've become a bit of a horse nut myself. I bought probably four in the span of two days. My husband thinks I'm weird. I got one of the Andalusians the other day as well. That's the only horse my husband can tolerate so I figured I'd try it as well. I got the light one with the blue eyes and named him Skullmoon.

The Andalusian is another one of my favorites, it's basically a slender Ardennes, if you ask me. :lol: 

I named mine Sterling. 

Spoiler

0_0.jpgWhile I usually give my horses a mane and tail trim, I left his magnificent locks au-naturale.

• Like 3
Direwrath
On 11/8/2020 at 6:54 AM, darkmaster234 said:

Oh dam you are such a horse lover and breed sucker hehehe... maybe you should wait until december, rockstar raised the stalls after one year from onlines birth more or less, it has been another year since that... maybe this update they will raise them again.

Lol, it drives my husband crazy too... But yes, I am an unapologetic horse lover to the extreme. 🤭

You're right they did raise the stalls so we might get lucky. Hey, if you can have a ton of cars in GTA, than you should be able to have a ton of horses in RDR I think.

On 11/8/2020 at 12:46 PM, Menstrual Deranged said:

Good to know, I was wondering if mine was just glitched out or something! Sadly, I think I'll have to put Mr. Ovar Ease away when I want to do Day of Reckoning because Lord Thicchoof wins him over in the badassery scale. 😆

I've become a bit of a horse nut myself. I bought probably four in the span of two days. My husband thinks I'm weird. I got one of the Andalusians the other day as well. That's the only horse my husband can tolerate so I figured I'd try it as well. I got the light one with the blue eyes and named him Skullmoon.

Welcome @Menstrual Deranged to the madness! 🤗 My husband has learned to roll his eyes when I find anything horse related anymore because he knows I'm probably gonna get it.

Love the names for your horses by the way. 😁

I broke down and bought me the dapple grey Kladruber who I named FreeFall

vQpZjsZ.jpg

XhReKzh.png

And I think that him and Ruvik are bonding rather well

Spoiler

• Like 3
ram_pete67

after testing many horses i have now come to the conclusion that the best one (at least for me and my playing style) is the missouri fox trotter. the one for 950 USD. Not a big fan of the 2 available colors - but the horse performs pretty well in all aspects.

• Like 2
  • excuseme 1
RyuNova

Is it weird that I have a backstory for my Horse as well?

My white Shire is the horse my character brought with him from England. He's a special breed of Shire bred by my characters family and is the prime example of that breed and he was a gift from my characters Father on his twenty-first birthday. When my character was incarcerated his Horse was stabled for him. The $120 he paid was Stabling fees but luckily the Stable master is a fool, the Horse and its bloodline is worth thousands.

• Like 5
Direwrath
16 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Is it weird that I have a backstory for my Horse as well?

My white Shire is the horse my character brought with him from England. He's a special breed of Shire bred by my characters family and is the prime example of that breed and he was a gift from my characters Father on his twenty-first birthday. When my character was incarcerated his Horse was stabled for him. The $120 he paid was Stabling fees but luckily the Stable master is a fool, the Horse and its bloodline is worth thousands.

He's got a good backstory, I like that your character is from a horse breeding family.

Hellbendzor

I like my girl to ride those giant Shires. Got a Dark Bay and a light grey version. Although they're not as fast, They look and feel like a damn tank... I love it... They also don't disappoint around Carlier's storming Gators...

Now the others I have, do look great, especially my Golden Turkoman, but that horse is a damn cowardish weasel. Throws her off whenever a predator even looks at them... My dark grey breton looks awesome and in its own way also pretty brave, but for my taste it's way too small...Should be the size of a shire and then  it would most definitely be one of my fav horses...

My main and most fav breed are the Kladrubers... I have Silver and a Dapple rose Grey named Count Kladracula, which is my tophorse these days. I love how he looks at night. Adapted my girl's clothing to his blueish tint (at night)... They look awesome together... He runs over Gators as if they were puppies, ehhe... Love the breed. With alot more hourse of RDR-play under the belt, this is by far my favourite breed nowadays... They look awesome too... Not the biggest horse, but with great and balanced body-legs proportion... (unlike some LOL)

Edited by Hellbendzor
  • Like 1
éX-Driver

>riding a smelling ornery beast of burden with no sense of loyalty or patience and who will throw you to the dogs at every given opportunity

this post brought to you by Motor Carriage Gang

PKW2040050-Daimler-motor-carriage-belt-d

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

i must have really crapped out, because with nearly any horse breed at 4 bonding/well fed/brushed, etc. I've only had them be either

Max Cowardly, REALLY throwing you off at snakes/wolves/cougars whatever OR

Middling Cowardly.

In spite of what people have said here, I've never had any I'd call "Brave" and not doing anything around cougars or crocs. 

The ones I've tried:

The Original Online Freebie "good" horse, you got for buying the Xbox Special Edition whatever. It was pretty OK and

seemed fast, great for being "free" but it was fairly cowardly (Dappled bay or something? Forget name.)

Breton (must have crapped out, pretty cowardly.) 

Kladrubber (2, one at MAX coward and one middle)

Missouri Fox trotter, Turkman, all of the Role horses, etc., basically any horse people swear by, They all seemed pretty middling.)

I think the ONLY horse I've never bought, of the max level ones, was an Arabian.

Gypsy Cob and Piebald seemed about the same to me (as far as bravery, again pretty middle of the road.)

Settled on the Piebald, since at least it seems kind of buff and was no more cowardly than the least cowardly ones (plus full health/stamina.)

Cob is my only other horse which is saddled at all now,  with another Nagocheezesses and -50 stirrups, so that it is the one that comes if the Piebald is out of commission. 

In spite of people swearing by a breed, I've only seen the bravery be "random" with all other things equal (bonding level, fed, brushed, etc.)

In my experience, the biggest difference comes in just mashing the "calm" (pressing left stick down on xbox one), when cougars/wolves get on your behind.

Even that works the best if the horse is middling or above in bravery, rather than max cowardly.

The only Horse I've "sent to the glue factory" (gotten rid of  ;)   )  was my max cowardly Klad, I kept the other Klad because you can't have too many stabled horses for giggles!

Edited by Krommer
  • Like 1
RyuNova
10 hours ago, Krommer said:

In my experience, the biggest difference comes in just mashing the "calm" (pressing left stick down on xbox one), when cougars/wolves get on your behind.

Even that works the best if the horse is middling or above in bravery, rather than max cowardly.

I am just going to say it and let the wailing fall on deaf ears.

I don't think there is a hidden "bravery" stat. I dont think that Horses have such a stat, I think the majority of the time it's human error, ignorance, arrogance or hubris. People just wont admit that they are trying to force their Horse to charge a bear, get bucked off and claim the Horse is cowardly, they won't admit that all the horse does is whinny when near a snake and class that as the horse overreacting, they dont notice that the number of times they click the stick and they won't admit that instead of using the calming technique all they do is mash sprint and then scream about getting bucked off.

A magical hidden "bravery" stat is just a scape goat.

• Like 4
  • YEE 1
Buddy Hightower
Just now, RyuNova said:

I don't think there is a hidden "bravery" stat. I dont think that Horses have such a stat, I think the majority of the time it's human error, ignorance, arrogance or hubris. People just wont admit that they are trying to force their Horse to charge a bear, get bucked off and claim the Horse is cowardly, they won't admit that all the horse does is whinny when near a snake and class that as the horse overreacting, they dont notice that the number of times they click the stick and they won't admit that instead of using the calming technique all they do is mash sprint and then scream about getting bucked off.

Agree 100%, that for the most part it is about situational awareness. If you get caught off guard and panic your horse does the same. I have 4 horses - at any given time any of them will be brave or they might panic - it's all about the situation and how you (the rider) responds.

• Like 1
RyuNova
6 minutes ago, Buddy Hightower said:

Agree 100%, that for the most part it is about situational awareness. If you get caught off guard and panic your horse does the same. I have 4 horses - at any given time any of them will be brave or they might panic - it's all about the situation and how you (the rider) responds.

Screaming that your Horse is a coward when you are trying to force it to get gang banged by three Alligators, four Wolves and a Bear at the same time is a silly thing to do.

Edited by RyuNova
  • KEKW 1
Wickahoney

I wonder what the general scenario is when your horse throws you because of a snake. I've only had it happen twice (months apart) and both times have been within the first 30 seconds of login. I call for my horse, she'll stop 20 feet away from me and it's not until I've got my foot in the stirrup that she decides to react to the snake coiled up next to her. 

So long as I'm mounted before we come across a snake, my horses never throw me, and won't bolt unless I decide to hop off.

darkmaster234
3 hours ago, RyuNova said:

I feel you are right aside the deshonourable case of the arabian (at least in story mode, dont have one in online to prove it), which i could destroy my left stick  in the process and still throw me down in a pair of seconds... its incredible.

4 hours ago, RyuNova said:

I would agree, except for my two Kladrubbers which were otherwise the same (same level 20 ones, 4 bonding, etc.)

One was noticeably way more cowardly, I should have made a video of the differences before I sent it to 'the glue factory."

They all might freak some around predators, but that one would even buck and run around snakes.

I only bought two because in a thread like this someone said they were a "very brave" horse,  or something.

One was horrible, while one was no more brave than other horses.

Edited by Krommer
IamCourtney
4 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Testify! Been saying this for ages. There does seem to be some degree of randomness, or at least a lot of factors, to how far you can push it before a horse will buck you and/or flee, but I'm confident that it isn't an innate trait of certain breeds or even specific individual horses.

Direwrath
7 hours ago, RyuNova said:

It really is how you treat it and ride it.

My husband has this little mustang, the striped dun, and when he tries to take that horse anywhere he had issues with it spooking at every sign of danger.

So we tested the mustang's durability and I took over for him and let him take my Turkoman. Not once did that horse buck me, startle when we charged at a grizzly, or lose any courage when we rushed into a defend the camp mission. On the other hand my Bogey was being difficult for him.

The difference is that our riding styles are the opposite of one another, I am constantly brushing, feeding, and reassuring my horses. He feeds his when it needs it and brushes it every once in a while. I am also not likely to push my horse to a sprint, rather I allow them to gather their speed, and I also do not keep them at a hard run for long distances. He likes to travel as if we were riders in the Pony Express. 😄

Lol he makes fun of me because every once in a while he'll hear me through the headset cooing and whispering to my horse if we happen to get into a troubling situation, I can't help it. It's what I would do if I were riding the real thing. 😁

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
darkmaster234
4 hours ago, Krommer said:

I would agree, except for my two Kladrubbers which were otherwise the same (same level 20 ones, 4 bonding, etc.)

One was noticeably way more cowardly, I should have made a video of the differences before I sent it to 'the glue factory."

They all might freak some around predators, but that one would even buck and run around snakes.

I only bought two because in a thread like this someone said they were a "very brave" horse,  or something.

One was horrible, while one was no more brave than other horses.

Yessh i want to believe the discarded horses arent put down in-world... am i being too naive lol ?

• Like 1
RyuNova
8 hours ago, IamCourtney said:

Testify! Been saying this for ages. There does seem to be some degree of randomness, or at least a lot of factors, to how far you can push it before a horse will buck you and/or flee, but I'm confident that it isn't an innate trait of certain breeds or even specific individual horses.

As I said I think it all comes down to the player and them being biased to different degrees. When the Horse is behaving well you don't notice but you will remember the times is bucked you and this will skewer your thoughts.

4 hours ago, Direwrath said:

It really is how you treat it and ride it.

Agreed. If you push your Horse to the point where its screaming and the Stamina bar is flashing the exclamation point and then try and fight a pack of Wolves it's going to buck you. Any Horse will. If you leave your Horse away from the action and Hitch it even when you are under fire it won't run but jumping off the Horse in the middle of a gunfight and then screaming at it when it gets pelted with bullets and runs off is a bad way to do things.

I have ridden my Horse across the map and ended up with no Stamina, no Core, the Core flashing and the Horse screaming and been bucked as soon as I arrived and tried to spur it in another direction. That was my fault.

I think it even tells you that the Horse will act differently if you abuse it, don't feed it and let it get dirty. That's not a hidden stat. I brush and feed my Shire when I get a chance and hes fine. If you spur the Horse in time to its gallops you can double their Stamina as well, that's a tip from RDR1.

I said this on the RDR2 board and got in trouble with the Mods because people were screaming at me and I sarcastically snapped back. People seem to want a motorbike with no AI but the Horses have their own AI and self-preservation, you can force a Horse to jump off a cliff but it wont do it willingly.

Edited by RyuNova
  • Like 3
Direwrath
20 hours ago, RyuNova said:

Agreed. If you push your Horse to the point where its screaming and the Stamina bar is flashing the exclamation point and then try and fight a pack of Wolves it's going to buck you. Any Horse will. If you leave your Horse away from the action and Hitch it even when you are under fire it won't run but jumping off the Horse in the middle of a gunfight and then screaming at it when it gets pelted with bullets and runs off is a bad way to do things.

I have ridden my Horse across the map and ended up with no Stamina, no Core, the Core flashing and the Horse screaming and been bucked as soon as I arrived and tried to spur it in another direction. That was my fault.

I think it even tells you that the Horse will act differently if you abuse it, don't feed it and let it get dirty. That's not a hidden stat. I brush and feed my Shire when I get a chance and hes fine. If you spur the Horse in time to its gallops you can double their Stamina as well, that's a tip from RDR1.

I said this on the RDR2 board and got in trouble with the Mods because people were screaming at me and I sarcastically snapped back. People seem to want a motorbike with no AI but the Horses have their own AI and self-preservation, you can force a Horse to jump off a cliff but it wont do it willingly.

And for all their flaws, some of the AI is pretty close to being realistic. 

Sure they want their brainless motorbikes instead of real horses but I appreciate having something of a personality on the ride with me. And when my horse fights me I know very well what I am doing wrong, but I see the little signs that the horse gives that some people may not see. Horses have these tiny gestures that let you know their intentions or how they feel, and I am amazed that R* has put some of these in the game.

There are days when I play the game just to take my horse out and ride the trails, I no longer have horses around for me to hang with so this is my replacement. 😊

In story mode Arthur truly loved his horses, he is even asked about how the pinto walker from the Adler ranch was matched to his late mare Boudicca. His response proves that he really cared for the animal. Also he is devastated when he loses the horse at the end of his story.

This tells me that R* wanted the horses in the game to mean more to the player.

It only makes some sense that they will respond to how they are treated, treat them well and you get an animal that makes things easier for you. Treat them badly and that animal is going to return the favor.

So I don't know why people gave you lip for stating facts, but then again I have been on other Red Dead related social media and some of them are toxic.

On facebook I got yelled at because I bought a few copies of the game to share with family so that they can play the online with me. 🙄

On 11/12/2020 at 9:45 PM, darkmaster234 said:

Yessh i want to believe the discarded horses arent put down in-world... am i being too naive lol ?

Never! I literally have a story for every horse that I have to let go, they are bought or given to good homes.

Lol, my babies are still my babies even when I let them go so I make up these outlandish stories to make myself feel better about it. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, RyuNova said:

People seem to want a motorbike with no AI but the Horses have their own AI and self-preservation,

Except when I steer my horse between two trees, with PLENTY of room, but instead it suddenly veers to the right/left and smashes head on into one  ;)

They do the same thing with rocks, sometimes; "There is plenty of room between these rocks, but instead I'll veer and take an amazing leap over this one and then do a face plant on the boulder some distance away....", said my horse!

Edited by Krommer
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
kcole4001

She's a beauty!

I'm considering getting a red chestnut Turk.

The bay I have already is as skittish as the Arabians, but I've been working on a name for a new red horse, so maybe, and I have a 40% off voucher to use of course.

I can say for 100% certain that my Breton gets calmed much, much faster than the finicky Arabian, and even the Norfolk.

When we ride by a snake it takes one pat to calm her, while the others will be fussing and whining for a mile.

• Like 2
Direwrath

So far my new Turkoman is basically just like my bay one, fidgety but manageable. She is currently my favorite, I named her Trinkets, after a troll/goblin character from the ElfQuest comics. 😁

rOG2Fuw.jpg

She is such a character! Just love that black kissy mark on her muzzle.

0QXEGkz.jpg

Edited by Direwrath
  • Like 5
kcole4001

My new addition, Comrade Krakh (crash), though he hasn't lived up to his name yet, I've only had him for a couple of hours and made sure not to go anywhere particularly dangerous.

6E46CCB8195104FD0A4B03CD444B0467EF51EF7C

You can spam the calm key while riding and it adds bonding.

With the Breton, calm her once and she's done.

I'll probably go back to the Breton after reaching level 4 bonding, the Turk has a little more than half of her stamina, and that makes a big difference when swimming.

I'm disappointed with the saddle, it only comes with the saddle bags and stirrups shown, 5 outfits only, and no way to change anything.

Such a poor system.  😒

Edited by kcole4001
spelling
  • Like 2
Direwrath
6 hours ago, 1898 said:

I love my new Mustang but reaching Level 4 Bonding didn't go so well.

Did you tell your horse that there are no take backs? 😆

I got another one of those Turkoman horses. Loved the coat on the shaded gray one so I traded in my Roadster.  I named the new boy Longshot, or Sir Longshot to be civilized.

Since my other new Turk takes off like a bat out of hell I figured this new one deserves a name fitting for a track horse. 

tCI0sgB.jpg

And why were there so many bears on the servers last night?

Trinkets took it well, I was more worried about my husband and his horse running the two of us off the road. His horse Ghost is a big chicken. 😄

• Like 2

I agree that the stall fees are annoying.  you should be able to perm-buy stalls or barns and be done with it.  otherwise it spoils the whole thing about collecting different horses.

Horse control should also be better.   many times I tell it to turn right and it goes left.  stupid.   Or the horse suddenly shifts into a rock or post without me touching a control.  real horses are much more responsive and smarter than this.

Finally, about specific horses:

• The initial horse you get after the nag is usable but has horrid speed and stamina.   I discarded it as soon as I could.
  • The red Arabian has great speed and stamina but is very skittyish.  I will eventually get (or replace him) with a black Arabian.
  • I absolutely love my Turkoman.   Excellent speed and stamina and stable as a rock... so I named it Rock.
  • My next horse to buy is the Moonshiner one, I heard great things about it.
  • I would love to buy more horses but I probably won't unless the stall fee thing changes.
  • Like 1
  • KEKW 1
Archangelsky

For those who complain about the lack of stalls for horses (which I do as well, I need more) I assume it is just another way of Rockstar to force us to use RDO dollars.

Especially now when the new coats are being released I imagine many just "disregard" older horses and purchase new ones.

• Like 2
kcole4001

How many more people would buy even more horses if additional stable stalls were available?

It's insane that they expect people to spend real money to buy gold but won't provide players with something significant to buy.

Edited by kcole4001
details
  • Like 2
Direwrath

So I gave my Kladdy boy a new haircut, something awesome and totally 80's hair metal. Nothing new, but as I was showing my daughter the little 'staches we get with the pass I accidentally claimed it and now for the life of me I don't know how to remove it? Am I just being an airhead? I tried to click it again to remove it?

Or is my glam metal pretty boy going to be stuck looking like an old man now? 

Do I ride him into the Barber in town?

What do I do?

jXPQdUW.png

HSGTMwO.png

For some reason he looks pleased with himself now though? 😄

• KEKW 1