Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadyCreeksKiller

Did R* Intentionally High-Ball RDR2 Online Prices/Grinding

ShadyCreeksKiller

R* just made some adjustments to the prices of some items and payouts of some activities to make it easier to grind for money.

If I were R*, with a poor reputation for making their online game modes a micro transaction filled grind fest, I would do this so that I could defend the new prices and payouts as being better for players than before, even though I had planned the new prices and payouts from the beginning.

Smokewood

wrong forum

3Prcntr

who cares

AddamHusayin
17 minutes ago, ShadyCreeksKiller said:

R* just made some adjustments to the prices of some items and payouts of some activities to make it easier to grind for money.

If I were R*, with a poor reputation for making their online game modes a micro transaction filled grind fest, I would do this so that I could defend the new prices and payouts as being better for players than before, even though I had planned the new prices and payouts from the beginning.

Wrong forum but definitely yes. I've already seen all the comments praising them for listening to the community. They knew there would be outrage and a change would win people over. Now I actually do appreciate that they listened but they had to otherwise the game wouldn't last. I also really appreciate the $250 and 15 gold bars. Thanks Rockstar. They didn't have to do that so it is nice but we must still remain cautious for the future of RDR Online.

Nutduster

Inb4 the move to the Online forum... but yes, I'm sure they scaled things exactly as far as they thought they could get away with, and a little further than that even, just to see how much backlash they got.  Then they'll "fix" it and a certain percentage of players will thank them for it, even though it's still awful.

Online gaming in 2018 is gross.

Smokewood
48 minutes ago, 3Prcntr said:

who cares

anyone who wants responses to their thread should care, but hey... do whatever you want.

Lonely-Martin

Yep!

Fluffy Sock

Totally intentional. They don't want billionaire days 2.0. In the beta stage money glitches can appear here and there, if they put lower prices, some people will have everything right away. Potential coyote bonds sales wasted. 

Prices will be more even as the game gets polished. But they'll be still high (and higher as the updates come) so embrace the grinding. 

CaliMeatWagon

I agree prices are intentionally high, but not out of malice or nefariousness. It's for longevity. And I've been saying this since Oct. 2013. 
As much as you might not like to hear it, you need a grind. Having everything available at once and no meaningful unlocks would of killed GTA:O just as quick as it killed Sea of Thieves. 

Red Dead is also limited, in comparison to GTA, in the amount of potential added items, mainly due to the era. So needing to make it stretch is also important. 

eyman

Yeah we can't lie to ourselves and say they were fine. It most definitely was done on purpose. You just have to draw the line somewhere in order to know what is considered acceptable and a Beta is the perfect time to test the waters. turns out the water was boiling and needed a lot of cooling down.

You can tell Take Two wanted everyone to stay quiet about the economy, but im sure they aren't as dumb as they look and knew it wasn't going to work the way they wanted.

Edited by eyman

Jason

I mean, it's a theory that's came up for many games in the past but even if it were true here, it didn't work. It's not like it pushed people towards microtransactions either as they're disabled.

Personally I think it's less that they intentionally tried to highball the prices and more that they genuinely haven't got a clue how to build an economy for a game so they just wing it.

CaliMeatWagon
3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Personally I think it's less that they intentionally tried to highball the prices and more that they genuinely haven't got a clue how to build an economy for a game so they just wing it.

Back on the 360 I was trying to device a currency and pricing system for a Minecraft map I played on. How much something should be worth in relation to everything else is a hard question to answer. 
Economics is a complicated subject, especially because it is hugely influenced by emotion. Look how much emotions and past experiences get brought up in the discussion of this games economy. 

BOOGIEMAN219

Have you ever seen someone over price a nice vehicle not expecting the full amount but it makes negotiating tilt more into the owners favor? That is what they did here imo. They are also probably testing just how much they can puck everybody lol.

Edited by BOOGIEMAN219

DreadedSilverback
4 hours ago, AddamHusayin said:

Wrong forum but definitely yes. I've already seen all the comments praising them for listening to the community. They knew there would be outrage and a change would win people over. Now I actually do appreciate that they listened but they had to otherwise the game wouldn't last. I also really appreciate the $250 and 15 gold bars. Thanks Rockstar. They didn't have to do that so it is nice but we must still remain cautious for the future of RDR Online.

How does one acquire these 15 gold bars and 250$ cause I didn't get anything like that

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

As much as you might not like to hear it, you need a grind.

For some, maybe. But not me.

Thanks in part to your GTA guides/knowledgebases, I got rich in GTA, very rich. But it was a chore too. Since I then bought all the cars, clothes, and toys I could, the game has just become so much more fun all round. The way the game was made with phone calls irritating me, or discounts locked behind missions/activities I didn't enjoy as much, and that terrible research, I need money to shut that sh*t out. Now it is, I'm free. On call being key, and me not needing the end cash, I don't care how it goes on jobs and stuff. 

I like to help others, but also like to plod alone just driving or racing. With my fleet, I'm competitive in all areas of racing, and with many options based off who I'm against. (I use the Pariah if high levels surround me, but if a lot of noobs, I've even won in my Blista Compact too).

It freed me up and this last year since DDH, I've probably had the most varied and fun year in GTA:O. I'm happy to work towards that again here. But only so much, as grinding isn't gaming for me. I need rewarding gameplay, and I enjoy the social aspect far more too.

34 minutes ago, DreadedSilverback said:

How does one acquire these 15 gold bars and 250$ cause I didn't get anything like that

You'll get it if you played the beta between launch and today. It'll be added by the 14th December for all that did, so it's just a case of waiting until R* get to you there dude. 

saintsrow
56 minutes ago, Jason said:

I mean, it's a theory that's came up for many games in the past but even if it were true here, it didn't work. It's not like it pushed people towards microtransactions either as they're disabled.

We've either got a choice between Rockstar being completely dense and unable to learn from multiple past backlashes, versus Rockstar being nefarious bastards who always planned to better balance the economy after the first week, to create the sycophantic gratitude and Stockholm Syndrome that we're seeing today.  Which Rockstar are they?  Hmmmm?  

DreadedSilverback
3 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Thanks in part to your GTA guides/knowledgebases, I got rich in GTA, very rich. But it was a chore too. Since I then bought all the cars, clothes, and toys I could, the game has just become so much more fun all round. The way the game was made with phone calls irritating me, or discounts locked behind missions/activities I didn't enjoy as much, and that terrible research, I need money to shut that sh*t out. Now it is, I'm free. On call being key, and me not needing the end cash, I don't care how it goes on jobs and stuff. 

I like to help others, but also like to plod alone just driving or racing. With my fleet, I'm competitive in all areas of racing, and with many options based off who I'm against. (I use the Pariah if high levels surround me, but if a lot of noobs, I've even won in my Blista Compact too).

It freed me up and this last year since DDH, I've probably had the most varied and fun year in GTA:O. I'm happy to work towards that again here. But only so much, as grinding isn't gaming for me. I need rewarding gameplay, and I enjoy the social aspect far more too.

You'll get it if you played the beta between launch and today. It'll be added by the 14th December for all that did, so it's just a case of waiting until R* get to you there dude. 

O ok thanks

CaliMeatWagon
4 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I'm the opposite. Now I'm in a position to where if I don't have it it's because I don't want it. I load into the game and stare out my office window, waiting for the next update to take all my money. After 200+ days played, the game is more fun when I have something to "work" towards, or something to spreadsheet. 

Edited by CaliMeatWagon

Lonely-Martin
10 minutes ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

I'm the opposite. Now I'm in a position to where if I don't have it it's because I don't want it. I load into the game and stare out my office window, waiting for the next update to take all my money. After 200+ days played, the game is more fun when I have something to "work" towards.

That's why I love the social aspect. All the others have to work towards crap, I just get to help, have fun, and chat good sh*t all the time. So relaxing, and so varied.

I win, they win. Though I do get your point, that game is creatively at its limit, and it does need fresh content to help it thrive too. I like challenges, and CMM was my progressive gameplay really. DDH blew me away with new CMM's. Made challenges fun. (Compared o the dancing of AH which is so simple to achieve).

Very rewarding to have joined a few forum guys too, humbling seeing another really go 'Yes!!' when they finally hit their CMM goals. (Made this place for me too).

Must add, as a racer at heart, as long as I've competition, that too adds much. (The odd Adv mode too - Sumo was a blast for me).

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Jason
9 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

We've either got a choice between Rockstar being completely dense and unable to learn from multiple past backlashes, versus Rockstar being nefarious bastards who always planned to better balance the economy after the first week, to create the sycophantic gratitude and Stockholm Syndrome that we're seeing today.  Which Rockstar are they?  Hmmmm?  

I'd take a lovable idiot over a sinister genius, but yea lol, I get yer point.

Qbert

So what if they did? Video games are a 1 time purchase you pay your money boom no more profit for them, online purchases allow them to keep making profit. Profit is not only good for them but you as well, they pay their employees who continue to work on content you play, have you seen this games end credits they are like 20 minutes long? That's a lot of employees to pay which means health insurance for each employee I would assume etc plus I would assume they pay a fee to have their game on the psn or micro network (not sure how it works anymore). 

Semaj 2JZ♢

As marketing ploys usually go, I'd have to say yes. It's probably a bit sneaky and underhanded, but people fall for it all the time and they know it works. They wouldn't do it, if it didn't.

I honestly don't care though, because I don't need everything right away. It's a wild west themed game. Things weren't fast paced and very few people were concerned with the miniscule crap people concern themselves with, today.

Qbert

This is the me first generation 

AddamHusayin
2 hours ago, DreadedSilverback said:

They said that anyone who has played red dead online from launch day up until 12 o'clock midnight tonight will receive $250 and 15 gold bars. They also said not everyone would recieve it immediately. I have yet to check but I played on day 1 so I'm guessing the earlier you played the earlier you get the rewards.

Edited by AddamHusayin

ghostsoap01
1 hour ago, Qbert said:

So what if they did? Video games are a 1 time purchase you pay your money boom no more profit for them, online purchases allow them to keep making profit. Profit is not only good for them but you as well, they pay their employees who continue to work on content you play, have you seen this games end credits they are like 20 minutes long? That's a lot of employees to pay which means health insurance for each employee I would assume etc plus I would assume they pay a fee to have their game on the psn or micro network (not sure how it works anymore). 

You can't seriously be trying to make this point. While I agree, yes, business is good for everyone, the one-time purchases make more than enough money. $725 M in one weekend. They made billions with GTAO. They are plenty profitable enough without ruining the fun of the game in favor of turning it into a cash generator grind-fest.

Edited by ghostsoap01
typo

Qbert

Do you know how many people they employee? Do you know how many stockholders they have? How much overcost they have? Day to day operations? You kids see those what you think are high numbers and your eyes melt, business is more than just what you made on a good weekend.

CaliMeatWagon
55 minutes ago, ghostsoap01 said:

You can't seriously be trying to make this point. While I agree, yes, business is good for everyone, the one-time purchases make more than enough money. $725 M in one weekend. They made billions with GTAO. They are plenty profitable enough without ruining the fun of the game in favor of turning it into a cash generator grind-fest.

Ah.... the old "but they've made enough money" argument. Please, tell me more Comrade. 

kenmy13999
2 hours ago, CaliMeatWagon said:

Ah.... the old "but they've made enough money" argument. Please, tell me more Comrade. 

All signs points towards the fact that they've made enough and probably a little more than enough money the last years (when and what are enough tho ;) )  

I'm actually not against a company earning money and have no problem with microtransactions as long as the game isn't geared to much towards buying them, like this game first seemed to be (I know microtransactions aren't enabled yet but it could seem like they prepared heavily for it) 

Yesterday I was very surprised with what R* did and have to admit that I did not see that coming, there might be a little hope after all ;)

El Payaso

Yup. Agreed. They definitely high balled it.

Revoemag

The game had been out a week,  and some players already own every weapon.  So the economy was fine and it's the players OCD that needs nerfing