4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Shooting people in freeroam

Why do you shoot people?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you shoot people outside of deathmatches?

• To prevent them shooting me first.
    • Got a new gun, wanna see how it works on a live target, just this once, okay?
    • Just to watch them die.
    • My bad, I was aiming for the deer behind you.
    • I don't.

Honourlessps4

Overwhelming number of deaths I suffer is when i'm carrying skins/carcass, so if anyone comes near me while hunting/going to butchers, i'll shoot first. 

DrKrankenstein

played for the first time yesterday, had a blast, apart from the few server dc's my experience was great, no one shot me, no one lasso'd me, and the people i did meet, waved. must've been very lucky lol. because i saw no killfeed at all during 2 hours of play. everyone was either fishing, playing missions, hunting, or just roaming around. great game.

RayD70
7 minutes ago, DrKrankenstein said:

played for the first time yesterday, had a blast, apart from the few server dc's my experience was great, no one shot me, no one lasso'd me, and the people i did meet, waved. must've been very lucky lol. because i saw no killfeed at all during 2 hours of play. everyone was either fishing, playing missions, hunting, or just roaming around. great game.

It's good you weren't traumatized your first time out. LOL It's hit or miss what kind of crowd you'll run into.

Tonight, I entered freeroam, and before I could even control my character, someone had killed me. Knew it was gonna be one of those nights...

Gallows
15 minutes ago, RayD70 said:

It's good you weren't traumatized your first time out. LOL It's hit or miss what kind of crowd you'll run into.

Tonight, I entered freeroam, and before I could even control my character, someone had killed me. Knew it was gonna be one of those nights...

Use the community, band together with other people. Use these boards, make sure you have the same expectations and the play together. I met up with six players the other day I had nevet played with before. A persistent posse. We had a blast and PvP was not an issue. There are more people like you who want to do stuff other than kill and be killed. Join together - there is strength in numbers in this game.

Boozey St John

Some f*cker thought it would be funny to shoot me while I was riding past him. 

I never go out my way to shoot players or get revenge but I was just annoyed. Tracked him down, used the varmit rifle and killed him twice. Second time I killed his horse too, (complete accident) didn't get the insurance charge and the f*cker rage quit. 

nargris

I get shot mostly when I'm fishing.

It takes so long to put away the rod and get your gun out that I'm just an open target.

Otherwise im shot at usually in towns. I don't tend to shoot people unless they shoot first. Although due to all the fishing I do Im at lvl10 health so unless they get a headshot i get a good chance to whip out my twin schofields or shotgun and return fire.

Van_Hellsing

Griefing is part of the entertainment. In gta all sale missions are in a public lobby. So some jackass can come along and potentially cost you more than a million. In RDR2 it is the same deal. 

Griefers are looking for victims, not a fight. Yesterday some d-bag was following me around and took a few shots at me. I tried to run, but I changed my mind and gave him a lead sandwich. The griefer did not pursue. 

Faceplant8
25 minutes ago, Van_Hellsing said:

Griefing is part of the entertainment. In gta all sale missions are in a public lobby. So some jackass can come along and potentially cost you more than a million. In RDR2 it is the same deal.  

That's one of the reasons that I quit playing GTA.

If it's a fair fight and both sides have skin in the game, then fine, but that's not the case with griefers. They have no risk, all reward, you have all risk, no reward.

Lonely-Martin
6 hours ago, Boozey St James said:

Some f*cker thought it would be funny to shoot me while I was riding past him. 

I never go out my way to shoot players or get revenge but I was just annoyed. Tracked him down, used the varmit rifle and killed him twice. Second time I killed his horse too, (complete accident) didn't get the insurance charge and the f*cker rage quit. 

Sod accidental. If a gimp plays up, that horse is dead!

2 hours ago, Van_Hellsing said:

That's the mission and fair game. Griefers don't do fair game.

No, grief isn't part of the entertainment, lol. Well, it is for them. But no. Daft comment IMO.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Spelling.

Waingro
On 12/4/2018 at 8:30 PM, Bakkerbaard said:

I'll do you one better, and this is a completely new experience for me:

I get anxious when out and about. And not the fun kind of anxious, like when Scarlett Johanssen is about to call for a threeway. 

While I do find the majority of players do indeed just wave and move on, I'm still paying too much attention to the minimap, constantly checking the maximap to see what the minimap is trying to tell me and generally avoiding main roads and blips.

I'd watch out for the wave when it's a group. Noticed it's usually a posse where one guy goes up, waves, then the posse jumps in on you. I usually message these people with a "Hi" so I can keep their profile. Then, when I log on and do want to shoot people, I join their lobby - lob a headshot - and leave. It's great and trolls the trolls. There's one player I've been doing this to almost everyday since RDO started. Guy has even asked me to stop. I never will. 

Edited by Waingro

ThaBirdCoot

People who camp at butcher for trolling purposes I gladly shoot them, no questions asked. This is way to frequent btw Tubleweed is a mess, worse than Valentine or St.Denis ever.

SPECTER II

I shoot in the air when people approach me and if they get too close I shoot them. If they run away I leave them. If I miss my shots and they're coming after me I flee back to camp like a coward

Edited by SPECTER II

Bakkerbaard
3 hours ago, Waingro said:

I'd watch out for the wave when it's a group. Noticed it's usually a posse where one guy goes up, waves, then the posse jumps in on you. I usually message these people with a "Hi" so I can keep their profile. Then, when I log on and do want to shoot people, I join their lobby - lob a headshot - and leave. It's great and trolls the trolls. There's one player I've been doing this to almost everyday since RDO started. Guy has even asked me to stop. I never will. 

This is evill.

And beautiful.

I do hope it doesn't turn out you've been coming to shoot me every day, but if it happens to somebody else, it brings a smile to my crooked little cowboy face.

Bakkerbaard

*my crooked little cowboy face double posted*

Edited by Bakkerbaard

xGeoThumbs

I don't, only out of revenge when they shot me.

I was in cinematic mode traveling to Blackwater and galloped past 2 players doing a carriage mission. They shot me, I think to take no chances, but I did blow them and the carriage up with dynamite after :)

Boozey St John
On 12/7/2018 at 11:56 AM, Lonely-Martin said:

Sod accidental. If a gimp plays up, that horse is dead!

That's the mission and fair game. Griefers don't do fair game.

You're right! I put the horse out of it's misery, since it had a moron for an owner. 

Bakkerbaard
6 hours ago, Boozey St James said:

You're right! I put the horse out of it's misery, since it had a moron for an owner. 

I'm glad they don't do that to people. I'd have been super dead every three managers.

Edited by Bakkerbaard

Hayes MP

I normally leave people alone, but I bait people by just slow trotting by them and if they take the easy kill, they're getting killed repeatedly. I don't hold grudges against anyone except the easy-kill-takers. Killing people not ready to defend themselves deserves it.

seven50iL

The same reason for why people shoot in free-roam in GTA Online.  In my opinion, I do it to let people know who is running the lobby. Especially when I'm with my friends. It depends how I feel though, sometimes I just chill. 

Bakkerbaard

Did a stranger mission just now, picking up a wagon from Hanging Dog Ranch. Made it to about ten meters from the drop off point and some just gets a shot in because f*ck you.

This taught me two things: Public session stranger missions are a goddamn waste of time and resources and it's bloody hard to retaliate on a wanker in a town full of NPCs.

I might have got him, or I might have orphaned ten children.

So I've tried this chasing down and retaliating and it's just no fun. If I win I don't feel any better because I know they're not gonna lose a minute of sleep over it and if I lose I don't feel any better because I got fecked over twice.

MrTroubleMaker

I played for about 10 minutes yesterday. Got shot five times by five different people. Each one logged out after they shot me. i was just trying to go to the shops to buy stuff. I never threaten any one of them ... It's not fun .. going to wait for a invite only update or a way to have private lobby

RedDeadNedKelly

As someone who spends 90% of my in game time outside of towns I rarely get shot by randoms.

If I see a dot coming towards me they hear over the mic “who dat...who dere” If they keep approaching in silence they get an “ I wouldn’t “ while I get behind a nice comfy rock. If they keep coming after that, the warning shot goes through their forehead.

Live and let live I say, unless you mess with my leisure time. Then you better tell all your friends that I’m coming for you and hell’s coming with me.😂

anarquista_duval

I'd say 95% of the times I came across with another player he kills or try to kill me first.

Since auto aim is so OP it doesn't even gives you time to see if they're friendly or not so I just play defensive and got some cover first and if I see a drawn gun I shoot to kill, no questions asked.

If I'm on my own business hunting or fishing and someone comes by, kill me and I lose all my stuff I just report them for griefing / disruptive behavior. Everybody should do this so those kind of players could eventually be penalized by R* in some kind of special lobby like "bad sports" in GTA.

Pocket Fox

Saw 2 people in a posse around Blackwater. Kept my distance, saw they did a stranger quest. Thought, oh they're ok. Came in with some deer, one rode by me, slow. Soon as I pass.

YOU DIED

So I proceed to kill both little sh*tters atop my fan-f*****g-tastic Andalusian with my bolt action and express rounds. Kill the two little scrubs about 10 times each.

THEN I received texts from them, saying I AM CHEATING, because they keep dying and my horse wont die.

Eventually they get 3-4 kills on me each. So I go 'parley' now they follow me around shooting at me, doing no damage cuz PASSIVE MODE! And now they are spamming me with 'god mode cheater! god mode cheater!"

Like wow... how completely noob can you be? Also... School holidays, always an influx of tryhard noobs.

TyrionV

That’s my experience most days. 

I can literally play for hours on end meeting various players with no one just randomly killing me. 

The grieffing situation is grossly exaggerated on here.

Sometimes it’s as if we’re slready playing in friendly lobbies. 

Dr.Rosenthal

I met someone yesterday who used some form of invincibility cheat. He couldn’t be locked onto and he was a weird kind of semi-see through... Anyone else come across this? I forgot to report the loser, as my router crashed before I had a chance..

afriendlyreddot

Hard to take pvp seriously with auto-aim. If a tough guy feels the need to kill me when i'm clearly minding my own business good for them, i mean their controller...

anarquista_duval
42 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

I met someone yesterday who used some form of invincibility cheat. He couldn’t be locked onto and he was a weird kind of semi-see through... Anyone else come across this? I forgot to report the loser, as my router crashed before I had a chance..

That sounds like when someone approaches a stranger mission. They go "grey", don't lock on auto aim and can't get no damage.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's some god mode glitch already like in GTA, I'll look that on se7ensins later.

Pocket Fox
46 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

That's parley/passive mode. what you are in stores etc. you cant be hurt and you cant hurt others.

Poggy
52 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Yes, I've had that just the once.  No idea what was going on.  Very irritating.