4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Shooting people in freeroam

Why do you shoot people?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you shoot people outside of deathmatches?

• To prevent them shooting me first.
    • Got a new gun, wanna see how it works on a live target, just this once, okay?
    • Just to watch them die.
    • My bad, I was aiming for the deer behind you.
    • I don't.

Jedster
3 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I agree about the fisticuffs, genuine fun.

But many struggle with free aim and some can't, let alone many just aren't competitive in combat and are just looking for a relaxed bit of fun. So many ways to enjoy these games dude, I just don't loom to test myself that way all the time. :)

Totally agree, in fact I feel like that as well time to time. I've finished SP in free aim and for second play through I played with auto aim because I just wanted to relax and enjoy the beauties this game have to offer...

To each their own and you are right, there are so many ways to enjoy games, that is why it bugs me so much that we only get to play on auto aim servers in Online. I like a challenge within reason and as for now there is no challenge in Online what so ever. Hopefully R* will implement PvE and free aim servers very soon... :)

Gallows
3 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I agree about the fisticuffs, genuine fun.

But many struggle with free aim and some can't, let alone many just aren't competitive in combat and are just looking for a relaxed bit of fun. So many ways to enjoy these games dude, I just don't loom to test myself that way all the time. :)

Fist fights are great fun, knife fighting not so much as blocking seems broken.

As for freeaim, it’s not really hardcore. I think lock-on is very hardcore as the great shots will headshot you almost instantly and if you’re an average player you have very limited options for hiding, going for cover etc. I know some people may need lock-on to play because of physical reasons, but if you can I hope you give freeaim a chance, because especially when riding just with a couple of friends it becomes much more casual and relaxed than lock on. It’s a common misconception that everyone wants freeaim because it’s more hardcore. My primary reason is the effect it has on gameplay and player interaction in general. :)

Oldsport

i dont randomly kill players but the other night some 12 y/o was doing delivery missions and i legit would kill him and take all the parcels and deliver them, he didnt deliver one lol i hijacked his mission

Lonely-Martin
46 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Fist fights are great fun, knife fighting not so much as blocking seems broken.

As for freeaim, it’s not really hardcore. I think lock-on is very hardcore as the great shots will headshot you almost instantly and if you’re an average player you have very limited options for hiding, going for cover etc. I know some people may need lock-on to play because of physical reasons, but if you can I hope you give freeaim a chance, because especially when riding just with a couple of friends it becomes much more casual and relaxed than lock on. It’s a common misconception that everyone wants freeaim because it’s more hardcore. My primary reason is the effect it has on gameplay and player interaction in general. :)

For me personally its an eyesight thing, but for my lad it's physical more through personals. I fully get you and others that it's an area of gaming that has a rightful place in these worlds too. Should be thriving here.

I wish we could play more PvP without becoming frustrated and losing all the time, but that's unfortunately what forces my hand at times, lol. Even NPC's give me trouble here in RDR as they 'round on us' more than GTA, lol. In GTA for heists it became easier through just learning where they were/came from, lol. (If that makes sense). Even with auto aim, I miss a lot, lol. (Damn, I sound like a noob).

Racing is my PvP. I can see the cars as opposed to the dots on a minimap so much more. :) 

Gallows
2 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

For me personally its an eyesight thing, but for my lad it's physical more through personals. I fully get you and others that it's an area of gaming that has a rightful place in these worlds too. Should be thriving here.

I wish we could play more PvP without becoming frustrated and losing all the time, but that's unfortunately what forces my hand at times, lol. Even NPC's give me trouble here in RDR as they 'round on us' more than GTA, lol. In GTA for heists it became easier through just learning where they were/came from, lol. (If that makes sense). Even with auto aim, I miss a lot, lol. (Damn, I sound like a noob).

Racing is my PvP. I can see the cars as opposed to the dots on a minimap so much more. :) 

I love the horse racing. It’s great fun and even though it has gotten a bit of hate from some players I really enjoy the races. I hope they expand races to include wagons and other stuff, like places where you need to jump etc.

Edited by Gallows

Lonely-Martin
8 minutes ago, Gallows said:

I love the horse racing. It’s great fun and even though it has gotten a bit of hate from some players I really enjoy the races. I hope they expand races to include wagons and other stuff, like places where you need to jump etc.

Yeah, obstacle courses would be epic I believe too. I like horse racing very much too. But the shooting side of it frustrates as I'm useless.

Don't mind the Road Rash aspect of punching and kicking though, lol. Quite funny. :)

Gallows
11 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Yeah, obstacle courses would be epic I believe too. I like horse racing very much too. But the shooting side of it frustrates as I'm useless.

Don't mind the Road Rash aspect of punching and kicking though, lol. Quite funny. :)

Hehe most people are useless at shooting from horseback using freeaim, which is part of the fun. If you make yourself a hard target it’s going to be very rare that even a great shot is able to kill you. I have gotten a few headshots in races - three perhaps. Feels great when you do, but it’s very hard and very rare :)

Lonely-Martin
6 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Hehe most people are useless at shooting from horseback using freeaim, which is part of the fun. If you make yourself a hard target it’s going to be very rare that even a great shot is able to kill you. I have gotten a few headshots in races - three perhaps. Feels great when you do, but it’s very hard and very rare :)

Yeah. I  prefer the races where we can collect checkpoints in any order for exactly this reason, lol 

Even won one too, 2 more for my trophy to go. :)

yeezy203

I'm shooting in retaliation almost 100% of the time. However, it is such a good feeling to kill a griefer in defense. I still usually run away after killing them because I don't play RDO for deathmatches.

AmyStone

I always give other players plenty of room. If they then come towards me then I shoot. I've been killed so many times that it's the only way I can survive and not lose all of my skins. I never thought RDO would be more cancerous than GTA - but it really is. We need some kind of passive mode or passive sessions otherwise I can't see myself playing it for much longer. I'm turning into the kind of player I hate.

Dr.Rosenthal

I have always been a proponent of the ”friendly” approach. Ok, not always. But most of the time and especially when I’ve been playing solo (thinking mainly about GTAO here, but also RDO ofc). It’s sometimes difficult to be friendly when you’re part of a larger group, for obvious reasons.

To me, it’s easy; treat others how you’d want to be treated. And yeah, I know it’s just a game, and yeah, I can definitely be a bitch sometimes if I want to. I love a good free roam war, or any competitive game modes really.

Back to topic, I try and and not shoot first. Meeting someone who’s friendly often creates small ”mini-stories” which are some of the coolest things about these games. If I just try and drop everyone I come across, that makes for a more dull and monotonous gaming experience. War, war, war.

And, if they’re not friendly and they kill me on sight, then I have every reason to slaughter them as much as I can, which I often do.

If they kill me once, is that such a big deal? No, it really isn’t. 

Fugitive21

Its simple if no pink dots are near me and all of a sudden come near me i get ready. If they don't stop ...pew pew.  If I am on the road and somebody is riding past me I stop and get ready. I wait to see if they plan to swing around or pull a quick shot. 

I avoid all roads mainly. I will cut through the forest, dessert, swamps to get where I am going. 

If I need to stop in valentine or blackwater I check to see where the pink dots are. I get close to town and if I cant see them they are sniping on the roof. I will pick off any person I see on a roof with my rifle.

bigraj

Because they fired on me first.

Imonfire

I only shoot first if I spot a player in minimap that change direction and head towards me WITH weapon drawn AND if I'm not dead yet.

Lonely-Martin
55 minutes ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

If they kill me once, is that such a big deal? No, it really isn’t. 

Generally, not really.

With a stack of pelts, definitely.

Hence me not going for pelts. Takes that aspect of hunting away for me, and it's a shame those pelts disappear is all. I'm hoping it's a bug to address rather than intentional. :)

Dr.Rosenthal
4 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Generally, not really.

With a stack of pelts, definitely.

Hence me not going for pelts. Takes that aspect of hunting away for me, and it's a shame those pelts disappear is all. I'm hoping it's a bug to address rather than intentional. :)

You’re right about that, if you have pelts or items to lose then better be safe than sorry..

Lonely-Martin
Just now, Dr.Rosenthal said:

You’re right about that, if you have pelts or items to lose then better be safe than sorry..

Yep. But its good to see R* say they're listening so I'm keen to learn and willing to wait for now too.

Hopeful.

LordLoff

Watching the poll answers stats I just wonder, where the hell are the lobbies with all you people that do not shoot others

I cant even stop and check the map or sachet without having 3 guys on the corner trying to kill me

It also happens a lot people that come up to me and wave friendly and next second they shoot me

The other day I was accepting a mission from an stranger and while I was listening to the talk cinematic a dude came right beside me trowing dynamite sticks at us, me and the NPC

Butcher camping is also an regular fun activity for grieffers, they melee on youvso the policecdoes notvretaliate on.them

RDR2 is crawled with 9YO grieffers, no way they have reached 12YO, maybe because compared with GTA it is easier to shoot folks

So do not come to say hi to LordLoff cause my "hi" back will come from my Varmint Riffle, straight at your head, SADLY, cause Im a very friendly and helping dude

Edited by LordLoff
Spelling errors

Lonely-Martin

@LordLoff. I'm convinced I've a troll magnet up my characters arse. Honestly. No peace!

Smokewood

When the session has over 10 people in it, it's a war zone.

That's been my experience.

You know, an option to choose large, medium, or small populated sessions when be a welcome change.

Last night there were only 7 people in my session and it was great.

RayD70

I had one session last night where I dropped right into Valentine. There was 12 people or so in town. 6 gathered by the butcher alone. NO ONE was shooting each other. Everyone whistling at each other. A couple guys were killing lawmen for fun and xp, but pointedly going out of their way not to shoot other players (one accidentally shot a player and profusely apologized for it even though he didn't kill him). I thought I must have hit the lottery. However, almost all of the players were wearing UE outfits, so maybe just an older, more relaxed crowd?

Those guys were cool. I wish I had time to hang around, but there was money to be made.

TheOriginalGunslinger

Only do it if someone starts shooting at me first. It’s like 2010 all over again in this game. Headshots are so satisfying. Only thing missing is the “fists taunt” (select fists on the weapon wheel and aim button and repeatedly tap the fire button) from RDR1 Multiplayer. Some people used to get so pissed at that.

Edited by TheOriginalGunslinger

Faceplant8
7 hours ago, RayD70 said:

Later on, my horse is laden with 3 perfect carcasses, a baker's dozen or so of pelts and my bags are chock full of smaller game pelts, meat, feathers (and 4 stacks of fish: salmon, steelhead, smallmouth and largemouth bass). About 2 hours worth of grinding. Valentine is closest to me and Strawberry looks like a war zone. Valentine seems to only have 4-5 players in the area. No gunshots to be heard. I watch the map and it looks like 3 guys are going back and forth to the butcher. Must be safe. I ride in weapons holstered not even looking at anyone (and with a deer, stack of pelts and 2 turkeys on the horse, my intentions should be obvious). Just as I stop at the butcher, bullet through the back of my head. Everything on my horse gone. I snapped. 3 guys in town were all red to me, and I climbed a roof and made sure to kill them all repeatedly (not sure how they couldn't figure out where I was). Once I had my pound of flesh, I switched lobbies.

The problem with this is that you're giving them exactly what they want - a fight. Unfortunately, there really is no way to get back at someone like that in any way that costs them anywhere near what it cost you.

There is no real cost to killing another player in this game. At least in GTAO there's the insurance cost if they destroy your car. In RDR2O a griefer can take a significant amount of grinding away from you with one bullet, and they're not at risk of losing anything.

lennymuhboi

I can't afford to. No money or good weapons 

GenericGTAO

Unfortunately, this game suffers from lag at levels equivalent to GTAO.  Players are hopping around the map.  Players come out of cover, yet they are in cover on your screen.  Players can see you at distance but you cannot see them.

Arkane

I'm in the I don't category. It's not my style of play and I have no interest in messing with people who don't bother me. Plus it's a waste of resources that can be used for NPC ambushes or gang hideouts. However if I'm way across the map and I see a blip coming my way, I will assume it's with hostile intent and will shoot that person immediately when they get there. If they want to do something with me, message me first.

IKilledMyHorseAgain

Im not going to shoot you until you shoot me but make no mistake, once you shoot me in the back be prepared to continuously die or change servers.

Bakkerbaard

Got lassoed just now, when I was hoofing it to the Fence in Rhodes. I was about to log off anyway and I just wanted to see how far I could make it.

I guess lassoing people is the hip thing to do nowadays. Wasn't much fun for the guy when I managed to break free in time for once. And just as he was within arms reach. Since I was feeling testy from getting my arse handed to me in deathmatches I figured I'd explain to him how much I appreciated being lassoed. 

Turns out I'm pretty good at fistfights and also I'm not gonna let you walk. I'm a hypocrite like that.

Kemasus

As I said earlier I generally walk away.....except today. Im sitting there by the fire resting near the butcher in St Denis when out of nowhere a yahoo on his horse comes up and starts shooting. I couldnt believe it.

Now theres a ledge and a half wall right next to the fire so I jump down to that. He follows after, still on his horse. I grabbed him off his horse and proceeded to put a beat down on him when I realized I had my blade in my hand....unfortunate for him, hes dead.

Now you think that the guy would be embarrassed by this turn of events...no...he comes back again and fails to take me out.

I let him live this time and rode away

Edited by Kemasus

redrum187x

I shoot everyone and anyone in GTA online, but RDR I like to be tame and chill out,  if they shoot or look like they will shoot I have no issue rippin out the rifle lol