4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Shooting people in freeroam

Why do you shoot people?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you shoot people outside of deathmatches?

• To prevent them shooting me first.
    • Got a new gun, wanna see how it works on a live target, just this once, okay?
    • Just to watch them die.
    • My bad, I was aiming for the deer behind you.
    • I don't.

Sandereas

Crazy reading all these posts that everyone just shoots on sight in FR. While I'm just chilling riding my horse waving at people. Sure it happens in some places all hell breaks loose. Or some people just being assholes. But not that much, really strange. I just shoot when fired upon though. 

Gallows
1 minute ago, Sandereas said:

Crazy reading all these posts that everyone just shoots on sight in FR. While I'm just chilling riding my horse waving at people. Sure it happens in some places all hell breaks loose. Or some people just being assholes. But not that much, really strange. I just shoot when fired upon though. 

It’s a natural reaction when your death is always a second away when in close proximity to another player. Running, diving for cover etc. nothing but killing first can save you. Freeaim would be a lot less hardcore in this regard.

Sandereas
2 minutes ago, Gallows said:

It’s a natural reaction when your death is always a second away when in close proximity to another player. Running, diving for cover etc. nothing but killing first can save you. Freeaim would be a lot less hardcore in this regard.

Yes I understand that. Always need to keep a close eye on them haha. Though when someone shoots first and doesn't land a headshot you can be quick enough to headshot them and win. True in free aim you have a much better chance at getting away. But I like these situations. Standing across eachother and anticipating wtf he is gonna do haha. And if he does kill me I will just hunt him down and kill him twice.

ALifeOfMisery

Don't even shoot back at the moment. CBA. Not wasting the ammo I could be using to hunt, plus my almost complete apathy towards freeroam PvP.

The FoolYT

Atm I like to avoid fights to conserve ammo and money but generally i keep an eye on any fools trying to shoot me. If someone tries to shoot me or kills me, i aim to spawnkill them until they parley or leave or whatever.

If I'm with my friend, we sometimes shoot people on occasion. If someones doing an objective, I'm generally not interested in shooting them nor if they are hunting/fishing. 

When i get enough funds, guns and maybe when freeaim is about, I'll probably be firing on players more.

malcolmfunktion

I had a great scrap in Valentine...I was about to sell some stuff to the butcher and some player tackled me to the ground...we punched it out for a while until we just backed off each other...no guns were drawn and no one got knocked out or killed. It was nice lol. But other players are a pain in the arse...it's too easy to just go nuts killing people...what's the point? I saw a group of three players on the really high railway bridge...I kept my distance to not make them think I was a threat but they were lassooing each other and somehow throwing them off the bridge...it was mental...looked like they were bungy jumping. :D

ShayD

I try to be friendly to everyone I meet, I'll wave or give em a nice head nod so they know im not here to ruin their day. 99% of people I meet just carry on or give a wave back. Ive often helped players being griefed too and turned it to a 2v1, griefers usually back off after that. Have had  2 or 3 people attempt to grief me but it never works out for them, say hello to the bolt action.

BOOGIEMAN219

I find it fun and amusing, I have been starting missions just in the hope that people gun for me, I don't actually care about the money just want to kill people. I'm in bad sport in gta full of godmode so I'm here for now. I stop if I realize somebody does not want to fight, unless they attacked me first. 

RayD70
6 hours ago, Jedster said:

I have no need or desire to kill anyone in freeroam for simple reasons, there is literally nothing you gain from it and I find no pleasure in ruining other people fun and activities...

And it happened to me many times that some hero came to me and shoot me point blank to the face while I am just standing there with my weapons holstered. I just don't understand why, it's really puzzling my mind...

I would really like to know what drives them to do things like that.

So many theories. One or most are true, some all at once.

They have a massive real world inferiority complex (take your pick on what they feel is inferior. ;-)).

They've been neglected by the adults in their family growing up.

They're latent or outright sociopaths/psychopaths.

They have no real friends.

They're just a-holes. Cowardly ones at that because they'd never act like that in public where a fist to the face might happen.

Faceplant8
1 hour ago, BOOGIEMAN219 said:

I find it fun and amusing, I have been starting missions just in the hope that people gun for me, I don't actually care about the money just want to kill people. I'm in bad sport in gta full of godmode so I'm here for now. I stop if I realize somebody does not want to fight, unless they attacked me first. 

Funny thing is, I've never been attacked when in a mission, but after a few minutes fishing I'm sure to have a bullet in my head or a lasso around me chest.

Lonely-Martin

Honestly, if more did like you and back off when a non combative person show to want that, I'd certainly have far less complaints.

Bakkerbaard
3 hours ago, malcolmfunktion said:

I had a great scrap in Valentine...I was about to sell some stuff to the butcher and some player tackled me to the ground...we punched it out for a while until we just backed off each other...no guns were drawn and no one got knocked out or killed.

Had something like that near Tumbleweed yesterday. Got shot coming away from the Butcher and I was spawned near a camp on one of the neighbouring plateaus. So I get shot again, which is somewhat understandable, so close to someone's home. I repsawn again, still on that bloody plateau without a clear way off. So the camp guy comes up, repeater at the ready and he stands in front of me. 

Since I'm not reacting he lowers his repeater and I figure I'd give him a wave to signal "no harm done" and I see I've a melee button available. 

I gave him one punch, like a bitchslap, and I walk on. He's just standing there looking at me go and I can almost hear him in his livingroom muttering: "Yeah, I guess that's fair."

Got away clean on that one. Ofcourse, I got shot by some other asshat when I reached the road, but it's the thought that counts.

Well, those two things are key.

Either you start a mission where people will opt-in to an asskicking or you stop when you realise they don't wanna fight.

Maybe we met yesterday up in the Grizzlies. I was coming out ofa cabin and another guy was about to come in. Sees me, let's loose two round from a shotgun which, for some reason, miss me at point blank range. I give no reaction, just stand in the doorway. 

He kinda stand there pointing the shotgun at me and finally just lowers it, steps aside to let me through and we're on our merry ways. Lovely.

saintsrow
17 hours ago, Bakkerbaard said:

I'll do you one better, and this is a completely new experience for me:

I get anxious when out and about. And not the fun kind of anxious, like when Scarlett Johanssen is about to call for a threeway. 

While I do find the majority of players do indeed just wave and move on, I'm still paying too much attention to the minimap, constantly checking the maximap to see what the minimap is trying to tell me and generally avoiding main roads and blips.

Hah, "Just to watch them die" - that describes the griefer community pretty well.  They were probably all named Sue by their mean, drunk, absentee fathers.

Like some of you guys have said, I'm also bad at PvP and I don't want to do it, and when Rockstar gives us no other choice, it pisses me off.  So I am likewise always anxious and stressed in a PvP environment.  On the other hand, if I could find a video game where Scarlett Johansson is calling for a threeway, I wouldn't need Rockstar any more.  😛

Bakkerbaard
1 minute ago, saintsrow said:

They were probably all named Sue by their mean, drunk, absentee fathers.

Ah, one-upped my reference. let me just click like real quick.

2 minutes ago, saintsrow said:

On the other hand, if I could find a video game where Scarlett Johansson is calling for a threeway, I wouldn't need Rockstar any more.

I'm pretty sure Rule 34's got you covered.

If not... Well, the idea's out there now. ;o)

The Holy Diver

I enjoy fighting other people, but I much rather prefer to use my fists than a gun.

Slam_Jones

If they shoot at me, sure, I'll waste a few cents shooting back.  Then I'll go On-Call for a Story Mission and leave them far behind.  For the most part, I don't bother others unless they bother me.

Slightly off-topic, but I do enjoy the fact that ammo is cheaper Online than it is in SP  ($0.60 per 60 rounds instead of $1.10 in several cases)

Lonely-Martin
2 hours ago, saintsrow said:

On the other hand, if I could find a video game where Scarlett Johansson is calling for a threeway, I wouldn't need Rockstar any more.  

So easy to make a Cock-star joke there. ;)

I'll show myself out.🤣

Smokewood

This poll will need a lot more responses.

Only thing I have learned from this poll is that people who come to these forums, don't like shooting people in freeroam.

However, there is no way that the general population shares this view.

Lonely-Martin
28 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

Only thing I have learned from this poll is that people who come to these forums, don't like shooting people in freeroam.

So very true.

Though to see the Forbes article that I read add a couple of other criticisms like PvE lobbies suits me too, the more the press have a pop, the more I feel the pressure is on R* to step up, IMHO.

RayD70
1 hour ago, Smokewood said:

False. The general population absolutely feels that way. And they resent being forced into pvp. I'm not saying they don't enjoy pvp, but only on a level playing ground (read: organized pvp or a free roam event) and when they're in the mood.

Trying to free roam and actually enjoy the sandbox gets very irritating to most people when others are just out to ruin your experience. They (the random killers) gain nothing from it. That's why many many people look for any exploit to get a solo lobby, stay in private lobbies, or bounce lobbies until they find a chill one.

I'm not personally against the odd throwdown. But within reason. You don't blockade vendors. You don't ambush people trying to do business. Or attack people trying to start quests.

In short, you don't f*** with people's money or time. It's not cool. And you look like a pathetic jerk, not the winner you want to think you are.

Edited by RayD70

Smokewood
2 minutes ago, RayD70 said:

False. The general population absolutely feels that way. And they resent being forced into pvp. I'm not saying they don't enjoy pvp, but only on a level playing ground (read: organized pvp or a free roam event) and when they're in the mood.

Trying to free roam and actually enjoy the sandbox gets very irritating to most people when others are just out to ruin your experience. They (the random killers) gain nothing from it. That's why many many people look for any exploit to get a solo lobby, stay in private lobbies, or bounce lobbies until they find a chill one.

I'm not personally against the odd throwdown. But within reason. You don't blockade vendors. You don't ambush people trying to do business. Or attack people trying to start quests.

In short, you don't f*** with people's money or time. It's not cool. And you look like a pathetic jerk, not the winner you want to think you are.

I feel the same as you but I would wager that for every 1 of us, there are 5 who feel the opposite.

To many people, the entire game is like COD or battlefield - a first person shooter where the goal is to kill as many people as you can without taking a death yourself.

Lonely-Martin
3 minutes ago, Smokewood said:

I feel the same as you but I would wager that for every 1 of us, there are 5 who feel the opposite.

To many people, the entire game is like COD or battlefield - a first person shooter where the goal is to kill as many people as you can without taking a death yourself.

I feel it's more that we here are just the vocal ones. Many might feel it, but aren't on sites like this being vocal. 

Just hoping they are sending feedback, if they agree of course, because you're right too. Many do just like a good ol' PvP game of it too.

I often see many guests reading here, especially hot topic threads like Next DLC during those spells info comes. Such a mixed bag really.

White Shark
21 hours ago, xl SENTRY lx said:

I don't fire unless fired upon.

Same here.

saintsrow
5 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

I feel it's more that we here are just the vocal ones. Many might feel it, but aren't on sites like this being vocal. 

Just hoping they are sending feedback, if they agree of course, because you're right too. Many do just like a good ol' PvP game of it too.

I often see many guests reading here, especially hot topic threads like Next DLC during those spells info comes. Such a mixed bag really.

The very first guy I came across in RDO waved at me.  At the time, I didn't know how to do an animation like that and I was afraid I'd accidentally pull a gun and shoot him, like I do in SP all the time, so I didn't respond.  Had two more people who didn't try to kill me (but one of them might have been AFK) before I got short in the back.  I got out then, so I don't know how much worst the stats would have gotten.  

ilaythepipe707

Its just reflex i assume your gonna shoot me. Plus i liked to just mess with people. 

Jedster
12 hours ago, The Holy Diver said:

I enjoy fighting other people, but I much rather prefer to use my fists than a gun.

I enjoy fist fighting in this game, but never actually fought any players... when I tried, they just shot me.

I'd rather fistfight everyone I met than engage in shootout... IMO fist fighting require little bit more effort and practice from player than this auto aim BS, I mean where is the fun in that, when all you have to do is hold one button, slightly move your right stick up and press second button...

I like Battlefield games, but that is game about the war and killing ppl is the main objective (kinda)... I have better things to do in "narrative" sandbox games. If I want to mindlessly kill ppl I'd play Battlefield. If more ppl do it like that RDO would be better place... :)

Gallows
30 minutes ago, Jedster said:

I enjoy fist fighting in this game, but never actually fought any players... when I tried, they just shot me.

I'd rather fistfight everyone I met than engage in shootout... IMO fist fighting require little bit more effort and practice from player than this auto aim BS, I mean where is the fun in that, when all you have to do is hold one button, slightly move your right stick up and press second button...

I like Battlefield games, but that is game about the war and killing ppl is the main objective (kinda)... I have better things to do in "narrative" sandbox games. If I want to mindlessly kill ppl I'd play Battlefield. If more ppl do it like that RDO would be better place... :)

Send feedback to R* telling them you also want freeaim lobbies :)

Ghoffman9

One of the issues is the ability to kill players in a single shot via a headshot, it makes players more skittish and encourages them to shoot on sight more than they already have been since Gta Online launched. It would only take half of a second to pull out their gun, aim at your head, and kill you via headshot. Often times before you can react in time since he is drawing his weapon first. Even worse if they got a shotgun since a headshot is not even required to one shot you with one of those.

Edited by Ghoffman9

Lonely-Martin
1 hour ago, Jedster said:

I agree about the fisticuffs, genuine fun.

But many struggle with free aim and some can't, let alone many just aren't competitive in combat and are just looking for a relaxed bit of fun. So many ways to enjoy these games dude, I just don't loom to test myself that way all the time. :)

RayD70

Had to return fire a few times tonight. Ordinarily, I'd go on my way and deny them the fight. But there are exceptions (and these are the reasons why I'll shoot people)...

I'm fishing along the Dakota River. Moving to where I know a school of Steelheads normally are. I'm about to hitch my horse when I SEE (not hear) a bullet whiz right by me. Sure enough, here comes a volley of bullets fro way across the river and up the hill. But the kid is way too far away for whatever gun he was using (and he's not very accurate) so I play with him a bit going back and forth and spinning in circles practically daring him to kill me. Finally he stops shooting. I assume he's given up and get off my horse to pull out my pole. Now I hear gunshots. Turn around and my horse is almost dead (down and needs reviving). Muthaf***r!  Enough is enough. Now he's shooting and running toward me but not hitting me (I guess he shot the horse because a bigger target is easier???) So I put him down with a casual shot at a good distance right through his right eye (scoped). He didn't stay on the server much longer. Soon disappeared.

Later on, my horse is laden with 3 perfect carcasses, a baker's dozen or so of pelts and my bags are chock full of smaller game pelts, meat, feathers (and 4 stacks of fish: salmon, steelhead, smallmouth and largemouth bass). About 2 hours worth of grinding. Valentine is closest to me and Strawberry looks like a war zone. Valentine seems to only have 4-5 players in the area. No gunshots to be heard. I watch the map and it looks like 3 guys are going back and forth to the butcher. Must be safe. I ride in weapons holstered not even looking at anyone (and with a deer, stack of pelts and 2 turkeys on the horse, my intentions should be obvious). Just as I stop at the butcher, bullet through the back of my head. Everything on my horse gone. I snapped. 3 guys in town were all red to me, and I climbed a roof and made sure to kill them all repeatedly (not sure how they couldn't figure out where I was). Once I had my pound of flesh, I switched lobbies.

At the end of the night, not sure even why, but I end up at Emerald Ranch. I see a couple guys are at the other end of the ranch and I need to go by them, so I make myself as unthreatening as I can (slow walk on horse. No weapons) I'm not even halfway down the road yet and sure as sh*t, "boom boom boom boom boom boom" (rapid fire). I see a couple bullets fly by me. One hits my horse. One hits me. Neither do too much damage. Guy is holding a revolver or pistol looking right at me, reloading. So I calmly pull out my bolt action and he starts yelling at me. "Don't you do it!"  I aim. "Don't you effin do it!" I canoe his head. "GD it! You effin psycho!"  Excuse me? You shot at me multiple times. Did you expect me to blow a kiss at you?

Now, in hindsight, it's possible he wasn't actually shooting at me / didn't know I was there / I walked into him testing his double action or something (they were near the Fence). And he saw me as a guy who shoots people on sight. LOL But if that were true, I would have killed his friends too.

Edited by RayD70