4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Bakkerbaard

Shooting people in freeroam

Why do you shoot people?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you shoot people outside of deathmatches?

• To prevent them shooting me first.
    • Got a new gun, wanna see how it works on a live target, just this once, okay?
    • Just to watch them die.
    • My bad, I was aiming for the deer behind you.
    • I don't.

Bakkerbaard

Full disclosure: I'm doing this because I can't win a fight and this is the only passive-aggressive recourse I could think of in frustration.

At least I kept myself from making voter names public, I suppose.

Also, I'm actually curious. I don't understand what one gains by it.

Me, I'm easy pickins. I'm a lousy shot, even in aimlock, and I don't like expending ammo without profit, so there's really no point in starting a war. Plus, you'll probably get a second kill in because if I don't bolt I'll probably come and see if you maybe made a mistake.

Edited by Bakkerbaard

Talisman_83

So far, most people I come across tend to want to avoid combat. 

However, I've had my fair share of people trying to just kill for the sake of it, or come after me when I'm doing a mission.

It's led to me not trusting anyone (coming from GTA, I should know better), so if you come too close, it's shoot first, ask questions later.

I've already been gunned down and I don't particularly like being killed, so there you go.

We Are Ninja
11 minutes ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Full disclosure: I'm doing this because I can't win a fight and this is the only passive-aggressive recourse I could think of in frustration...

LMAOOOOO. I appreciate your candor. I don't. I live and let live just like I did in GTAO. If someone attacks me, then it's an entirely different story. But, I don't mess with people otherwise.

Bakkerbaard
3 minutes ago, Talisman_83 said:

I've already been gunned down and I don't particularly like being killed, so there you go.

I'll do you one better, and this is a completely new experience for me:

I get anxious when out and about. And not the fun kind of anxious, like when Scarlett Johanssen is about to call for a threeway. 

While I do find the majority of players do indeed just wave and move on, I'm still paying too much attention to the minimap, constantly checking the maximap to see what the minimap is trying to tell me and generally avoiding main roads and blips.

xl SENTRY lx

I don't fire unless fired upon.

gtmike

If I cross paths with someone randomly, I just ride by. If I feel someone is coming directly for me, they're getting shot at range by my bolt action.

Jason

Retaliation in 99% of cases. The only time I shoot first usually is if I've rode past someone and watched them pull out a gun just as a I ride past so I shoot to avoid the inevitable.

If I'm in St Denis and it's a warzone then that's a different story, can't tell foe from victim in that scenario so everyone gets blasted. :lol:

Bakkerbaard

About what I expected.

I guess it was a bit daft to think the psychpaths would be able to construct a coherent post.

Lonely-Martin

I voted: I don't. I avoid all players I can at the moment.

PvP does little for me really. I can enjoy it in small doses, but I prefer DM's, more so, last team/man/lady standing matches as I feel they are more tactical as we have the one life. But with how often I've been pestered, I'm not too keen here right now to even indulge those.

Will one day, but I really am a very passive gamer (dispite my strong ways here at times, lol). I tend to just try to walk/ride away and not fight back, and if they persist, either change sessions or dashboard the game if I'm feeling like denying the kill.

Proper PvP, full respect for it. Many relish it. But cheap sucker punches and blatant trolling/griefing. Zero respect, poisonous gamers that I still can't understand how R* want to enable it so much. Aside the regular assumption that they may pay more long term - Which I think is crap. PvE players are often part time/casual. Many pay extra too.

PvE lobbies are key, much like free aim. R* should respect that many playstyles can thrive in their world.

But just like you OP, I'm crap too, lol. :)

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording and spelling.

Bakkerbaard
12 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

or dashboard the game if I'm feeling like denying the kill.

What's that? How do you "dashboard"?

I've never heard the term used in "my" circles, so I expect it's an Xbox thing, but I can see myself enjoying the funk out of that if I could do it on PS. Send them a strongly worded message while I'm at it, with words I think they won't understand so it makes me feel superior.

14 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Proper PvP, full respect for it.

This is true. If someone wants to play that, by all means, they should. But as you say a few lines further, the key is some form of private session. 

Right now it's like I'm watching Family Guy and the family is yelling at me that it's my turn in their game of Monopoly. 

"I'm not playing."

"But it's your turn!"

"I'm watching a cartoon that used to be better. Leave me alone!"

"It's still your turn!"

"Read my lips! I'm not playing your dumb game! I suck at rolling dice, which is why I try not to be around you people!"

"You landed on Boardwalk. You owe me a thousand dollars now."

Lonely-Martin

@Bakkerbaard. Dashboarding means to jyst insta-quit the game back to the PS/Xbox home screen and quit the game.

They (griefers mainly) assume it's 'rage quitting' but IMHO, it's just not giving them any attention is all. I just move on and do my thing, not theirs. :)

great analogy there too, lol. I see it the same way. PvE rules. 🤠

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Autospell fail

Bakkerbaard

Ah. Like that.

I'd probably start building up actual rage at the idea that some asshat out there thinks they could make me rage-quit. I'm a bit weird.

Ofcourse, All that agression is gonna come out in the real world while standing behind the old lady at the cigarette counter and the cigarette-girl is just too pretty to do that to. So... I guess I'm just riding away then. ;o)

Edited by Bakkerbaard

Kemasus

The way I figure it, most players are out there just trying to make some coin and get their gear in order....Im this way so I dont f+++ with others. Now and again someone will come along that just wants to put a bullet in me. Usually Im busy and not paying attention so its an easy kill for them. That said I rarely retaliate....Im not interested.

For the record I find RDR2 Online to be pretty decent. There is a ton of room to roam and I usually only get someone shooting at me once or twice a day (a day being 6+hrs play time)

Lonely-Martin
10 minutes ago, Bakkerbaard said:

Ah. Like that.

I'd probably start building up actual rage at the idea that some asshat out there thinks they could make me rage-quit. I'm a bit weird.

Lol, you're in the right place. We're all a bit loopy. ;)

But seriously dude, don't fret it. Asshats think what asshats think. Stay and run or leave, they're opinions rarely change either way. Don't let 'em in ya head.

(Though at times it's hard as they do sour a good session).

Cutter De Blanc

Because I want everyone to hate online as much as I do

IamCourtney

As a general rule I live and let live, but I ain't no easy mark. I can hold my own in a fight and if I see someone suspiciously moving toward me I'll adjust my course in such a way that their following me is a strong sign of ill intent. If so, I blast with no qualms.

Aside from that I usually only aggressively attack people who have opted in for PvP, either by initiating a free roam mission or just being part of a pointless free roam war.

But every so often, quite rarely really, some evil stirs within and some possibly innocent rando in my vicinty turns up dead, just because I can... 

Broblab

I only shoot back.

Unless they kill me. 

Then I'm on them for a couple of lives just to prove a point. 

Revrico

Boredom wasn't an option in the poll

Pocket Fox

Go hunting. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Go fishing. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Do a Stranger Quest. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Try to farm AI in Saint Denis. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Go to PvP playlists.  Absolute ghost town...

And every time you kill them enough they go parley. But are too stupid to understand basic game mechanics and keep shooting at you, scaring away the wildlife... ffs 

Red Dead Redemption Online. More like toddler daycare online

Edited by Pocket Fox

Broblab
11 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

Go hunting. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Go fishing. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Try to farm AI in Saint Denis. Tryhard kids try and kill you. Stopping you.

Go to PvP playlists.  Absolute ghost town...

And every time you kill them enough they go parley. But are too stupid to understand basic game mechanics and keep shooting at you, scaring away the wildlife... ffs 

Red Dead Redemption Online. More like toddler daycare online

Farm AI? What is this?

Pocket Fox
3 minutes ago, Broblab said:

Farm AI? What is this?

Sit on a rooftop in St Denis. shoot cops from the hip as they come up a ladder.

You can farm XP. Until tryhards show up and this ruins the cop AI so you cant do crap other than get tiny bits of xp from the tryhards.

Broblab
2 hours ago, Pocket Fox said:

Sit on a rooftop in St Denis. shoot cops from the hip as they come up a ladder.

You can farm XP. Until tryhards show up and this ruins the cop AI so you cant do crap other than get tiny bits of xp from the tryhards.

That's clever. I'mma have to try it. 

Pocket Fox
8 minutes ago, Broblab said:

That's clever. I'mma have to try it. 

Opposite the post office in St Denis, there's an alcove with a ladder. Go up there, get wanted. Sit on the roof in the corner and hip fire at police with a repeater as they climb the ladder. HIP fire as it awards 'eyes wide shut' 10xp or 11xp for UE owners. Plus extra xp for headshots and kills. As well as sharpshooter challenges, wanted challenges etc. This will drop your honour to 0 fairly quickly too.

Gallows

Shooting first is a must with lock on aim. You can go from holster to headshot in a split second and movement is not going to help you. With freeaim you would be able to move when someone draws and throw off their aim.

Freeaim is not for the hardcore at all. In fact lock on aiming is more hardcore, because the people who are good at aiming will shoot you before you have time to think, if you’re just average. In freeaim you have time to run and duck for cover a lot more.

If only the average people used lock in aiming, then yes it would be more average player friendly - but that’s not the case. You will get instantly headshotted while riding full speed past another player. Not so in freeaim.

The shoot first mentality is very much a product of the lock on aiming.

Cozzi

Yeah I only shoot at people who are trying to kill me. I hate how nervous I am when I play this game. Any blips on the radar/map that might, maybe, possibly look like they could be headed in my direction I have to watch the radar/map like a hawk because i'm so worried someone is going to kill me for no reason. And although it does feel really good to see someone try and pull their gun out and get a few shots on me and then i instantly whip out a volcanic pistol and empty every round into them as fast as i can to kill them(which usually works), its really not that satisfying considering I don't want to do that, i'm just forced to do it or I die.

Also this is off-topic but neck shots do not count as headshots, correct? and if not, why? if i got shot in my head I would die instantly. also if i got shot in my neck or heart i would die almost instantly. Why is a neck shot not considered a critical point? it seems like the game just treats it like a torso. Ive shot someone 3 times in the neck with a carbine repeater, and it does basically nothing. they just headshot me. wtf. I cant stand getting the quicker draw on someone, emptying more rounds into them than they do to me, just to have them kill me with one bullet. What the hell is going on there?

kenmy13999
7 hours ago, Talisman_83 said:

So far, most people I come across tend to want to avoid combat. 

However, I've had my fair share of people trying to just kill for the sake of it, or come after me when I'm doing a mission.

It's led to me not trusting anyone (coming from GTA, I should know better), so if you come too close, it's shoot first, ask questions later.

The first days it was a complete war zone pretty much every place I went so I didn't give people a chance but the last two days have been something different. No one have interfered when fishing, hunting or anything. Last night I was doing the treasure hunt not far from Strawberry, was 6-7 other players there also and everyone went on with their business, hunting, treasure hunting and not one person killed another. Was up there maybe 45 minutes and not even one kill of players happened, made me gain some faith again ;)

AUScowboy

First kill is free, the second will cost you a rage quit. Same with GTAO, if I can't dispatch you and yours without help, I'll gladly call it in and there are plenty of willing friends on my list. Heck, I've noticed that randoms will join in to help dispense justice.. it helps to be good at PvP. Want to get the jump in a 1 on 1? Don't bother using the aim button, just pull the trigger and if your target it close enough it's almost always a guaranteed kill.

Edited by AUScowboy

R3CON

I only fire unless fired upon. I've had an equal mix of players attempting to spawn kill me, chase me around the map and grief me while hunting and the same amount (if not more so) of players who just pass by and carry on with their business. A few times I was even able to hunt in the same grounds with other players and we all kept our cool. 

Yesterday I was killed unprovoked by a trigger happy member of a posse who's leader was in the same area looking for treasure. In seeking revenge I had back-up with me and after repeated bouts we actually managed to get a team vs team match going. We were outnumbered but we kept the score even thanks to higher kill per capita levels on our side. That was fun and appreciable, but I ended up changing sessions after because I'm not interested in extended, unending freeroam bouts. There's no way to go passive or escape off the radar undetected so you either commit to the battle indefinitely or straight up leave. 

I have a lot of respect/admiration for the Showdown Series and prefer that arena for PvP instead of freeroam. There's way too many cheap kills on the unassuming in public lobbies (the only lobbies available) and I find it very unbecoming.  If you're really worth your weight in salt you'd go head to head with actual competition. There's benefits to be had like money and RP and activity specific perks and challenges when you do the series too. If PvP is to happen might as well be against other players who enjoy that wavelength and you might as well earn something in the process. Freeroam just seems like a cop-out in comparison. 

Red Dead is largely wilderness with natural terrain restrictions that doesn't really resemble typical shooter-game maps like in CoD or Battlefield. In GTA V's Los Santos I could appreciate the sprawling city as a wide-open urban map with plenty of areas conducive to natural gun battles. With fast vehicles and planes, helicopters motorcycles and a range of modern weaponry with thermal scopes, stickies and RPGs, explosive rounds and fancy snipers I could appreciate GTA's perpetual state of PvP as natural and expected. There's a lot to take advantage of that a simple deathmatch can't replicate.

But Red Dead doesn't have such definition to it's landscape nor does it have a wide plethora of variables that would make combat diverse from one area to another. Towns are small in scale and few and far between which doesn't lend itself neighborhood to neighborhood ground battles that would break out across a bigger, modern city.  The open, natural landscape and small town density can work for PvP, but not to a degree where you're getting any appreciable differences to any given Show Down series death match on tap. The Show Down maps are massive and sprawling yet use the same locations and include genre-specific features and game elements (like weapon spawns and capture the flag elements). Freemode just doesn't seem like the right arena for it, unless it's a defined purpose-built freemode event (in which case it operates more or less like a deathmatch). I lament those people who just roll up on you and start firing at will for no reason. The hunting and gathering aspect to the game, in addition to crafting supplies, storing conquests on your horse, shifting camps and posses and the long travels between waypoints just doesn't really lend itself to distracted PvP battles anyway.   

TLDR: there's a time and a place for combat and it's not freeroam (unless it's a defined event or rivals mission). I don't shoot unless fired upon and unless I'm feeling particularly salty over an unwarranted kill, I can't be bothered. Catch me in a deathmatch though and we can make something happen.

Edited by R3CON

Da Elite Ninjah

because they shoot at me. 

Jedster

I have no need or desire to kill anyone in freeroam for simple reasons, there is literally nothing you gain from it and I find no pleasure in ruining other people fun and activities...

And it happened to me many times that some hero came to me and shoot me point blank to the face while I am just standing there with my weapons holstered. I just don't understand why, it's really puzzling my mind...

I would really like to know what drives them to do things like that.