4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ArianaGrandeFan

Female character hit boxes

AdmiralJT
7 minutes ago, djb204 said:

Trust me, in competitive PvP, it will matter if hit boxes vary from character model to character model.

We ain’t talking about deer lol

The majority of players aren't interested in competitive PvP, so it'll only be a small group that is even aware of this. 

If they made the hitboxes equal how could they do it so that competitive players would be satisfied? If they made the hitboxes larger than the size of a small female character people will scream about getting shot when the bullet should have missed. If they make them smaller then the large characters people are gonna scream about shots that should hit being counted as a miss.

Being able to use a smaller character and have smaller hitboxes isn't a one-sided advantage, because everyone has the option to create a small female character.

Gray-Hand
38 minutes ago, JuliuszMCMXCVII said:

One thing is that I'd headshot you before you even take a cover and the second thing is that as long as you are behind the cover and not aiming I can't lock on to you. The scenario you are talking about is basically not present in auto-aim sessions. I can guarantee you that nobody will free aim at your head just because it sticks out an extra inch.

It’s not as much of an issue in cover, because the game designers can just make it so that the big characters really scrunch themselves up when taking cover whereas the shorter skinnier characters just hunch over a little bit.

the problems come when standing and running about in the open.  Bigger, and particularly taller characters will be bigger targets and will be less able to take advantage of being obscured by certain terrain features.

Another potential problem could affect shorter characters too - the height at which their guns shoot from could mean that certain terrain that might be chest high for another character might block their gun.

areyouchappin
1 minute ago, AdmiralJT said:

Being able to use a smaller character and have smaller hitboxes isn't a one-sided advantage, because everyone has the option to create a small female character.

That's the problem he has been trying to address.... a lot of players will just switch to a small female character. Which is fine, but then what is the point of having a male character option if being a female character is the best option?

Also, think about this, the Cattleman Revolver is a decent starter weapon, but it isn't nearly as good as the Schofield, are you going to just use the Cattleman Revolver forever or are you going to eventually upgrade to the Schofield because it is the overall better revolver to use..

And you definitely can't say that players won't care, look at all the griefing... those guys will become skinny females immediately and make killing them even harder... all of the players who try hard and team up with Clans and Friends will all become females because they have a naturally better chance of survival due to smaller hit boxes...

In the hiding behind a tree scenario, obviously the player that is sticking out should be able to receive damage, regardless of the size of the player.

All I'm saying is if a male and female stood side by side, their hit boxes should be the same size, maybe have the males a TINY BIT bigger for the sake of realism.

But if realism is in the discussion.. we might as well take out the ability for Females to tackle a Brawny sized male, because realistically, a heavy/brawny male will overpower the small females they have in Red Dead Online... This is why realism and lore of the video games has to be regulated and fair for ALL PARTIES INVOLVED.

AdmiralJT
15 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

Also, think about this, the Cattleman Revolver is a decent starter weapon, but it isn't nearly as good as the Schofield, are you going to just use the Cattleman Revolver forever

Yes, because I don't believe the Schofield is as great as everyone claims. I had planned on getting one at the start of online but after looking at the specs I decided against it. It has slightly higher dmagage and accuracy but slightly lower reload and fire rate. Like so many things in this game that people claim to be the best, it's just different.

15 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

And you definitely can't say that players won't care, look at all the griefing... those guys will become skinny females immediately and make killing them even harder... 

Griefers aren't strategically hiding in cover, they're riding around shooting and running away. The difference in size isn't enough to matter when the player is on horseback or running out in the open.

At the end of the day, I don't think this is as big a problem as people are making it out to be.

Edited by AdmiralJT

areyouchappin

Yes, because I don't believe the Schofield is as great as everyone claims. I had planned on getting one at the start of online but after looking at the specs I decided against it. It has slightly higher dmagage and accuracy but slightly lower reload and fire rate. Like so many things in this game that people claim to be the best, it's just different.

The Cattleman is perfectly fine to use until you have extra cash but The Schofield has higher accuracy and higher damage. And when it's upgraded, it is clearly better than the Cattleman(upgraded). There's a reason why "everyone claims that it is so great." It'd be pretty foolish of you not to use it, but oh well it's not my problem.

Griefers aren't strategically hiding in cover, they're riding around shooting and running away. The difference in size isn't enough to matter when the player is on horseback or running out in the open.

Yeah, it'd be fine if they had the same size hit boxes as every other player, but not if the hit boxes are smaller and harder to hit. You do realize that shooting someone's chest/back, leg or shoulder/arm just does normal damage right, that can take 3, 4, or 5 shots to kill someone depending on your weapon. But if you get hit in a vital hit box area(heart or head), you can die from one or two shots by any weapon.

AdmiralJT
8 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

And when it's upgraded, it is clearly better than the Cattleman(upgraded).

Until I see actual numbers on a page that detail things like, a players hitpoints, and damage per shot I'm gonna go by what works and so far I've had zero problems killing with my cattleman. 

11 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

Yeah, it'd be fine if they had the same size hit boxes as every other player, but not if the hit boxes are smaller and harder to hit. You do realize that shooting someone's chest/back, leg or shoulder/arm just does normal damage right, that can take 3, 4, or 5 shots to kill someone depending on your weapon. But if you get hit in a vital hit box area(heart or head), you can die from one or two shots by any weapon.

I'm just repeating myself at this point, but the size difference isn't that great that the majority of people will even notice it. Auto aim locks on to center mass, a chest shot. Mail or female, large or small it'll take the same number of hits to kill them.

ArianaGrandeFan

Do taller characters run faster ? In GTAO when a female character wore heels it would make them taller and also run faster. 

areyouchappin
20 minutes ago, AdmiralJT said:

I'm just repeating myself at this point, but the size difference isn't that great that the majority of people will even notice it. Auto aim locks on to center mass, a chest shot. Mail or female, large or small it'll take the same number of hits to kill them.

This argument is purely hypothetical, we have no proof whether females do or don't have smaller hit boxes. But you clearly didn't read my post above, if you(as a male with bigger hitboxes) auto-aim to a females chest and then try to fine tune the aim for the heart.. you have an automatic disadvantage because the females heart will be smaller than yours.. And if you didn't try to aim for the heart at all, then you technically have to shoot them 3 or more times to drain their HP and kill them.

Now at that exact same time as you're aiming for that smaller heart, they auto-aim to your chest fine tune the aim to your heart, and because they're far away, their heart is too small for you to hit accurately, but your heart is just big enough for them too see, then boom.. They will guaranteed kill you faster than you can kill them because they aren't going to just spray and pray your chest like you will, they will see your slightly bigger heart and aim for the 2 or 1 shot kill.

19 minutes ago, ArianaGrandeFan said:

Do taller characters run faster ? In GTAO when a female character wore heels it would make them taller and also run faster. 

All males are 6'2, and all females are like 5'9 or something like that. I have no idea if being taller/fatter makes you faster/slower in RD:Online, but it appears that everyone moves at the same speed.

Edited by areyouchappin

JuliuszMCMXCVII
3 minutes ago, areyouchappin said:

This argument is purely hypothetical, we have no proof whether females do or don't have smaller hit boxes. But you clearly didn't read my post above, if you(as a male with bigger hitboxes) auto-aim to a females chest and then try to fine tune the aim for the heart.. you have an automatic disadvantage because the females heart will be smaller than yours.. And if you didn't try to aim for the heart at all, then you technically have to shoot them 3 or more times to drain their HP and kill them.

Now at that exact same time as you're aiming for that smaller heart, they auto-aim to your chest fine tune the aim to your heart, and because they're far away, their heart is too small for you to hit accurately, but your heart is just big enough for them too see, then boom.. They will guaranteed kill you faster than you can kill them because they aren't going to just spray and pray your chest like you will, they will see your slightly bigger heart and aim for the 2 or 1 shot kill.

I got the feeling that most of the people in this thread don't know a thing about the sh*tty auto-aim pvp that is present in that game yet they keep arguing about hitbox size advantages. Nobody will ever fine tune to hit the heart in the auto-aim lobbies. The whole pvp is currently based on being the quickest player to lock on and thumb flick headshot the enemy. The size of advantage we are talking about here is of such negligible magnitude that there is no point in arguing. 

Gray-Hand

Yeah, that doesn’t apply when using a scope to shoot someone outside of auto aim range though - bigger hit box, easier to hit.

•—•

I've already unlocked Slippery Bastard I Dead Eye. So whoever's fatter will be easier to kill. No auto-locking in Dead Eye mode.

areyouchappin
24 minutes ago, JuliuszMCMXCVII said:

Nobody will ever fine tune to hit the heart in the auto-aim lobbies.

Oh my goodness.. no sh*t dude.. 🙄

I was using the heart purely as an example... And it doesn't matter if the difference is small or large.. what matters is there is a difference..

And the funny thing is, you can't know how big or small the difference is because no one knows if the hit boxes are smaller or not.. This was a hypothetical discussion about what ifs and maybes, but here you are telling us that the difference definitely isn't worth arguing about when you can't possibly even know what the difference truly is lol

Edited by areyouchappin

Mik73

Whatever people's ideas of competitive advantage or disadvantage of different body types, shackling us all with the same body type is not the answer.  I f**king despised the size of females in GTAO. Their frames literally looked like they were built for a different video game (about Amazons lost in Fangorn drinking Treebeard elixir, apparently) and dropped unceremoniously into GTA. My female toon looked like a gargantuan freak next to males, scenery, to say nothing of the NPC females that were actually proportionate to the environment and looked, well, womanly lol. I laughed every time she did the 'magic clown' thing of magically shrinking into cars that were way too small for the avatar, etc. It was comical.  

A care not a whit for fractions of %% of bigger or smaller hit boxes in pvp. Not having to constantly look at a figure that clearly doesn't fit the game means a lot. Thank god they came to their senses with this.

Edited by Mik73

djb204
18 minutes ago, Mik73 said:

Whatever people's ideas of competitive advantage or disadvantage of different body types, shackling us all with the same body type is not the answer.  I f**king despised the size of females in GTAO.

Nobody is suggesting changing the size of the character models. Hit boxes and character models are two totally different things.

areyouchappin
11 minutes ago, Mik73 said:

Whatever people's ideas of competitive advantage or disadvantage of different body types, shackling us all with the same body type is not the answer.  I f**king despised the size of females in GTAO. Their frames literally looked like they were built for a different video game (about Amazons lost in Fangorn drinking Treebeard elixir, apparently) and dropped unceremoniously into GTA. My female toon looked like a gargantuan freak next to males, scenery, to say nothing of the NPC females that were actually proportionate to the environment and looked, well, womanly lol. I laughed every time she did the 'magic clown' thing of magically shrinking into cars that were way too small for the avatar, etc. It was comical.  

A care not a whit for fractions of %% of bigger or smaller hit boxes in pvp. Not having to constantly look at a figure that clearly doesn't fit the game means a lot. Thank god they came to their senses with this.

The amazing thing about coding, is everyone can keep they're hit boxes the same but still have drastically different body types just how it is now. R* could just make taller/bigger players tuck their bodies in closer when they crouch or take cover so they are hidden behind cover like anyone else.

saintsrow
6 hours ago, djb204 said:

Your proving a point that it is a legitimate concern...

Are larger characters a worse choice then smaller characters? <<< This IS the concern.

If the answer is “YES larger characters are worse”, then EVERYONE will end up choosing small female characters.

"Lemme tell ya 'bout the Ol' West, son.  It was a helluva place.  Nuttin' but emaciated crack ho's, headshottin' each other over a 25 cent rat pelt."  

traksta1
On 12/4/2018 at 6:00 AM, saintsrow said:

"Lemme tell ya 'bout the Ol' West, son.  It was a helluva place.  Nuttin' but emaciated crack ho's, headshottin' each other over a 25 cent rat pelt."  

Brilliant @saintsrow. I am now your number 1 fan 😂