Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
nikoide

how do you hunt birds ?

Recommended Posts

nikoide

Hello community, what's your hunting style when it comes to small birds ? they are quite small to spot without using binoculars or eagle eye and was wondering what is a good, effective hunting style to get them...I'm working on completing the wildlife exhibition challenge and having a hard time to find the right birds and when I do it's too late.

Do you just find a good area of the map and stay still and wait the to spawn ?

So far I've been walking around the areas supposed to be good for certain species and look for them on top of rocks near water streams...I can't really spot them on trees, are they even there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ravynwolvf
16 minutes ago, nikoide said:

Hello community, what's your hunting style when it comes to small birds ? they are quite small to spot without using binoculars or eagle eye and was wondering what is a good, effective hunting style to get them...I'm working on completing the wildlife exhibition challenge and having a hard time to find the right birds and when I do it's too late.

Do you just find a good area of the map and stay still and wait the to spawn ?

So far I've been walking around the areas supposed to be good for certain species and look for them on top of rocks near water streams...I can't really spot them on trees, are they even there ?

I needed some feathers for a hat, and all I did was ride around with my varmint rifle and blasted anything that took off as I went by. Shoot first, ask questions (like what kind of birds they are) later. Only so helpful, but not much else I found you could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nikoide
1 hour ago, ravynwolvf said:

I needed some feathers for a hat, and all I did was ride around with my varmint rifle and blasted anything that took off as I went by. Shoot first, ask questions (like what kind of birds they are) later. Only so helpful, but not much else I found you could do.

yes that definitely works if you need the feathers but for the challenge I'm trying to complete I need to hunt for perfect carcasses of specific animals so the kill must be done with small game arrows etc...that is why you need to spot the right bird  and catch him before it's too late. Some type of birds only spawn in certain areas just to make it easier  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tonesta

So I'm a long way from being an expert bird killer.

 

But one tip I was given, and which seems to work, is to head over to the abandoned fort that's west and a little south of Van Horn. If you've done the Lemoyne Raiders bounty mission - it's where that is set.

 

If you wait in the fort, with a pair of binoculars, then there's basically a nonstop array of small birds flying in and sitting on the wooden parapets.

Then it's just a matter of putting the binos away, pulling out the small game arrows and nailing them before they fly away!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nikoide
15 minutes ago, Tonesta said:

So I'm a long way from being an expert bird killer.

 

But one tip I was given, and which seems to work, is to head over to the abandoned fort that's west and a little south of Van Horn. If you've done the Lemoyne Raiders bounty mission - it's where that is set.

 

If you wait in the fort, with a pair of binoculars, then there's basically a nonstop array of small birds flying in and sitting on the wooden parapets.

Then it's just a matter of putting the binos away, pulling out the small game arrows and nailing them before they fly away!

 

right on , thanks for the tip ...I will have a look tonight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Satanta

Good question and tips-not started some of it but notice some Trapper stuff needs feathers from thesevteeny-assed birds I've never seen or killed and I know IRL they *are* teeny birds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nikoide

they are tiny and hard to spot...for now I've noticed that areas around rivers are good spots, on top of rocks mostly. Only thing to be careful of this is to pick spot where water's current flow is not too strong or if the carcass falls in it it is well gone in few secs. Choose bigger rocks so that the bird falls on it or slow flowing rivers/ ponds areas...unfortunately I did found one location that had plenty of bird life but I forgot where it is 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
morkobork
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, nikoide said:

yes that definitely works if you need the feathers but for the challenge I'm trying to complete I need to hunt for perfect carcasses of specific animals so the kill must be done with small game arrows etc...that is why you need to spot the right bird  and catch him before it's too late. Some type of birds only spawn in certain areas just to make it easier  

You can get a lot of perfect small bird/animal carcasses using the varmint rifle - you need that one trinket though, which gives you higher quality birds/animals. Only problem I have is finding the right species of birds/animals for these hunting requests.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HopalongCasidy
On 12/3/2018 at 4:14 PM, Tonesta said:

So I'm a long way from being an expert bird killer.

 

But one tip I was given, and which seems to work, is to head over to the abandoned fort that's west and a little south of Van Horn. If you've done the Lemoyne Raiders bounty mission - it's where that is set.

 

If you wait in the fort, with a pair of binoculars, then there's basically a nonstop array of small birds flying in and sitting on the wooden parapets.

Then it's just a matter of putting the binos away, pulling out the small game arrows and nailing them before they fly away!

 

Haven’t tested but this seems legit.  Other areas I used: south of braithwaite manor.  Birds of all types will congregate on the rooftops and fly overhead. Binoculars to spot, arrows to kill.

 

You actually get Vs of herons here, too, which help for Algernon and the last sharpshooter challenge.  

 

Also Ringneck creek, blue jay spawns on an uprooted tree at the start of the creek, and you can get a brown bat here at dusk.  

 

Finally, the area west of the trapper where the road and RR run parallel.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimbatron

You can find a lot of the ones you need along the Kamassa river where it says Roanoke valley on the map (and a bit to the south). Many will be perched on rocks there which makes them easy targets. I’ve seen Sparrows, Songbirds, Robins, Cardinals, Bluejays and Woodpeckers along there.

 

Make sure you:

1) Use clover scent so the don’t smell you.

2) Crouch and move slowly so they don’t hear you.

3) Pick out the one you need with binoculours.

4) Have small game arrows ready for your bow.

5) Make sure you have killed the Legendary Buck and crafted the trinket to minimise the risk of damaging the carcass.

6) Use dead eye and be sure it’s fully charged before firing so you don’t run out of time.

7) If the bird you need isn’t there save and reload your game, it will reset the spawns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nikoide
10 hours ago, HopalongCasidy said:

Haven’t tested but this seems legit.  Other areas I used: south of braithwaite manor.  Birds of all types will congregate on the rooftops and fly overhead. Binoculars to spot, arrows to kill.

 

You actually get Vs of herons here, too, which help for Algernon and the last sharpshooter challenge.  

 

Also Ringneck creek, blue jay spawns on an uprooted tree at the start of the creek, and you can get a brown bat here at dusk.  

 

Finally, the area west of the trapper where the road and RR run parallel.

 

good spots suggestions thanks! I actually spent some time at the abandoned fort south of VanHorn and it is a very good spot for small birds. Just stood on the wooden balcony and waited for them to spawn or land on the wooden fences left and right of me. Lots of Sparrows though, some Oriole, Robin, Woodpeckers and Songbirds. These are the ones I was able to spot mostly and after I got the ones I needed I left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phipfwe76

I find it odd that they spent all this time working on realism, yet birds don't sit in trees.... 

 

I'm struggling like hell with this quest. I'm over 200 hours into my playthrough, and have never even seen a woodpecker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ingrobny
On 12/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, nikoide said:

Hello community, what's your hunting style when it comes to small birds ? they are quite small to spot without using binoculars or eagle eye and was wondering what is a good, effective hunting style to get them...I'm working on completing the wildlife exhibition challenge and having a hard time to find the right birds and when I do it's too late.

Sometimes I just ride around and spook the birds up in the air and then I use the bow with small game arrows and use the dead eye, I had to check youtube videos for the location for some of the birds, like the Robin, without the use of dead eye the small birds is almost impossible to hit.

 

I'm currently at the 4th wildlife exhibition challenge now.

Edited by Ingrobny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nikoide
On 12/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, phipfwe76 said:

I find it odd that they spent all this time working on realism, yet birds don't sit in trees.... 

 

I'm struggling like hell with this quest. I'm over 200 hours into my playthrough, and have never even seen a woodpecker.

i find that odd too...kept looking on trees initially but couldn't see any.  Every time I find some small birds they are already standing on ricks or fences.

I managed to find Woodpeckers in ponds/rivers areas with forest around it. Can check the exact location when I get back to it....at the moment I'm having trouble finding Chipmunks for that said challenge...I've come across just a couple and not in perfect conditions and I have been looking in the areas where they are supposed to live. What's up with that ?! seems like the game is making it harder because it's part of a challenge at the moment ? or i't just a random thing ...

I have 3 animal out of the 4 required, one of them is an Opossum which is hanging from my horse but I am worried that it's going to decompose and will have to find another one by the time I come across a perfect Chipmunk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.