4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

ASMorgan

The economy is not broken...!

Jason
8 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

I was surprised how many of them aren't actually. When I heard the double action revolver is less powerful than the cattleman revolver I was shocked. Then I looked at the stats, and according to them even the most expensive pistol - the mauser - isn't as powerful as a schofield. My memory might be off, but I don't think it was even as powerful as a cattleman revolver.

What you really need though, is a bolt action rifle. Get that, and you can fend off groups of players with their carbine repeaters.

On topic: Gold sucks, though the standard money is bearable. Tight, but you can get by with some hunting.

The power bar on guns isn't the be all and end all. The Mauser is powerful cause it's rate of fire is significantly higher than anything else in the game, in Deadeye it's crazy fast.

That said the best gun in the game atm is the Varmint rifle which is like 74 dollars lmao

Nemecsis
6 hours ago, Chrismads said:

How are they too expensive? I could earn enough for the bolt with 1 mission and 1 treasure/2 hunting trips.

You know you only have to buy it once right? 

Only problem i have with buying guns is the rank requirements. I wanna buy the Litchfield, which I could easily affort, but i got 3 ranks to go.

Lol congrats. $900 for a f*cking shotgun. Don't remember how much the Bolt is exactly, but they're going for "realism" with Red Dead and then pricing $25 guns (1899) at $350-400. Sniper rifles are $700. A Mauser PISTOL is over $1,000. I could also afford them as well, but if R* doesn't want to lose millions of real life dollars, they HAVE TO fix this dumbass economy. So I'll wait to buy the better guns until they're a bit more fairly priced, because they will be eventually. Like I said, Varmint is really all you need if you're good enough. I'll be okay without a $350+ gun that takes 30 minutes to cock. ;)

Edited by Nemecsis

tre288
1 hour ago, Callahan44 said:

You call that more balanced? Anything besides hunting pays like almost nothing. I mean its really nice freeroam is worth playing but imo it shouldnt be the best money making method. And atm theres no balance at all. Selling 1 perfect heron gets you like 10 bucks, a good race gets you 2,50...like wtf.

"Hey, help me with this story mode objective. I'll pay you HANDSOMELY!" - $3.28

~Every single RDO story NPC 

Meanwhile you then proceed to spend $2.80 on ammo spent.

Gallows
1 hour ago, RayD70 said:

Mission payouts absolutely must be higher.

Part of the reason I had issues with money the first couple days was I was trying to make money doing missions... you know, like a newbie would in GTA until he got on his feet (or when just chilling solo). And I was quick joining other's missions rather than starting my own to boot. Since hunting really wasn't a prime money maker in SP, I never even tried in MP until Saturday. I've made a lot of money hunting and fishing since then. But it would be nice (and more importantly, fun) to have the option of making money at a similar rate doing story missions or stranger missions (or even pvp modes). Bring the multiplayer back to multiplayer if you will. 😉

Right now, other than the very first runthrough of the story, there's very little reason to do them again. No, I don't think we should get $300 every time we do that one mission. People would just start job hopping trying to get it. But they certainly could afford to increase the average payout by a factor of 10 or more depending. Same for all game modes.

I agree missions and series need a buff.

Hunting is easily $100 Per hour now. Missions are 30-50 and series in the low end of that scale.

Hunting is fine as it is now, but to balance things I’d suggest the following. I believe hunting must pay significantly more, since you don’t get a lot of exp.

hunting: Average $125 Per hour

missions etc: $75 Per hour.

That would be a great balance for the economy. Missions should as it is not, give more exp than hunting.

Gold bars, I won’t comment on other than I think it’s BS that horse insurance costs 5 bars, even for your Ultimate edition horse.

Edited by Gallows

Callahan44
1 minute ago, Gallows said:

I agree missions and series need a buff.

Hunting is easily $100 Per hour now. Missions are 30-50 and series in the low end of that scale.

Hunting is fine as it is now, but to balance things I’d suggest the following. I believe hunting must pay significantly more, since you don’t get a lot of exp.

hunting: Average $125 Per hour

missions etc: $75 Per hour.

That would be a great balance for the economy. Missions should as it is not, give more exp than hunting.

Gold bars, I won’t comment on other than I think it’s BS that horse insurance costs 5 bars, even for your Ultimate edition horse.

Hunting should be at the lower end,you also get meat and stuff for the trapper(hopefully). 

Gallows
Just now, Callahan44 said:

Hunting should be at the lower end,you also get meat and stuff for the trapper(hopefully). 

Meat is for the butcher but no. Hunting gives more money, less exp. Missions/series give more exp less money. That’s the balance, because it would make absolutely no sense for hunting to give more exp and having missions being best in both categories would just be daft.

Bad Azz

Without going for the perfect pelts, I have made a lot of money selling extra venison meat. In fact, venison meat has been my bread and butter so far, while pelts act as a bonus.

A perfect virginia deer pelt sells for what, about $2,50? Yet a full 20 pieces of venison will sell for $12 and it only takes a few minutes to build up, if you can quickly spot a group of deers. Antelopes will do the trick as well, even though their pelts are less valuable. Antelopes are a great source of venison meat, and the Heartlands, a few gallops away from Valentine, are teeming with groups of Antelope. 

A whole skinned Antelope carcass, once skinned, will also sell for 6,50$

So a quik recap of my modus operandi;

Focus is on amassing venison meat. Quickly.

Skin your kills, collect the meat, the woods, the fat, and the heart if possible, these will all sell for a price as well. Place skins on the back of your horse.

Once you've reached the maximum amount of 20 venison meat, you should have something around 7 to 10 pelts sitting on your horse back.

Take your last full skinned carcass and put it on your horse for your ride back to Valentine.

If it was a good day, you're in for a $45 to $50 run, and it only required a few minutes. Not that bad. 

Callahan44
Just now, Gallows said:

Meat is for the butcher but no. Hunting gives more money, less exp. Missions/series give more exp less money. That’s the balance, because it would make absolutely no sense for hunting to give more exp and having missions being best in both categories would just be daft.

It would make sense. Taking part in missions,races etc should be the way to go. But doing freeroam stuff should also be good,just a bit worse/different. Meat is not only for the butcher but also your best supply. And trapper gets you a ton of unique outfits,saddles(plus campupgrades like in sp). Its worth hunting,but its not the best you can do in terms of cash.

Jason

$75-100 an hour is still a bit low IMO, seeing as that's some hard grinding you're doing to maintain that pay every hour and the sheer amount of stuff to buy. I'd probably say $150-200ish should be comfortable to get. Hunting can get you upwards of $200 an hour in the right spots atm and that seems like the payout range they should be aiming for with every mode. The exp also isn't awful as a lot of big game gives 15 exp per kill and challenges give decent exp.

They really just need to bring everything else up to $100+ an hour, with PvP giving more depending on placement.

Big_Show
13 hours ago, ASMorgan said:

The economy is not broken, the way people approach spending is broken.

If you don't spend every last dollar & buy every gun & piece of equipment the second it comes available, the money adds up!

What do you need all those repeaters for? I doubt you're switching from the Carbine to the Lancaster, or from shotgun to shotgun, or from the Cattleman to the Double Action...so, why stock up on weapons in the same class?

I vowed to only use the Carbine you start with & the Ultimate Edition bonus weapons. I will buy a Schofield at some point & the Springfield when it unlocks, but aside from that, I'm not paying nearly $400 for the Bolt Action & then nearly $100 on a longer barrel or whatever...and then complain I have no money lol!

As I said, prices & payouts suck, sure, so why go along with it?! I've not been at an advantage or disadvantage using just the Carbine & Volcanic Pistol & neither will you be.

So, I'm maybe Rank 20, have tons of ammo, the basic weapons, a persistent posse, a few camp upgrades & tons of tonics & whatever & still have $500.

Stop spending! It adds up! You don't need every gun & extension! The economy is not broken, it's how it is & you don't have to submit to it!

But, seriously speaking now, if you're any good at the game modes, go play for an hour & rack up that cash & XP...it is damn easy to get money in this game.

lol when it takes 4-6 hours of glitched game play to buy a single weapon., you sure about that?  You need a reality check, "it's not broken" What kind of alternate universe are you living on?

Lonely-Martin
28 minutes ago, Bad Azz said:

Without going for the perfect pelts, I have made a lot of money selling extra venison meat. In fact, venison meat has been my bread and butter so far, while pelts act as a bonus.

Yeah, I rarely bothered with pelts. Game's so warped in favour of grief and too buggy to even try keeping them, lol.

Anything I can hold onto after a pratt attack, I go for. Otherwise, bollocks to it.

IamCourtney
2 hours ago, Dlow-1962 said:

6000 arrows for my bow there went about 40 bucks but hey i am set with arrows lol

I gotta know the story here... Did you fall asleep with the catalogue open and your finger on the Buy  button or something? XD

Phyxsius-

Now where did I hear this "player feeling pride and a sense of accomplishment" before?

Oh yea...those OTHER assholes that had to change their approach a bit.

Not a really great fan of mobile F2P crap in a paid game, OP.

Edited by Phyxsius-

Chrismads
1 hour ago, Nemecsis said:

Lol congrats. $900 for a f*cking shotgun. Don't remember how much the Bolt is exactly, but they're going for "realism" with Red Dead and then pricing $25 guns (1899) at $350-400. Sniper rifles are $700. A Mauser PISTOL is over $1,000. I could also afford them as well, but if R* doesn't want to lose millions of real life dollars, they HAVE TO fix this dumbass economy. So I'll wait to buy the better guns until they're a bit more fairly priced, because they will be eventually. Like I said, Varmint is really all you need if you're good enough. I'll be okay without a $350+ gun that takes 30 minutes to cock. ;)

How are your buck pelts coming with your varmint rifle? 😂

No wonder you dont have money to buy guns if you hunt everything with varmint rifle.

Have a nice wait. Maybe just wait for gta 6? Seems to be more your thing.

We Are Ninja
11 hours ago, joedelta said:

I am already 3 tent upgrades in, own the rolling block, have a second horse(main one has insurance), own multiple pieces of clothes, own a posse, own a pole and fishing gear, yet still have money. It's not that hard. Hunt, fish, loot buildings, cook extra meat. sell herbs. Each 5 levels gets you a treasure map. Plus i have had a blast since Tuesday, so i stand by my statement people want stuff handed to them.

I'm level 15, and I've only gotten one treasure map... I think I got it from cleaning out a gang. Is that how you get all of them?

Lonely-Martin

I fear a wipe all round now. So many are at West Elizabeth loading up, lol.

If the economy was even close to ideal, people won't need to cheat. R* are creating another warped experience so much, lol.

4 minutes ago, We Are Ninja said:

I'm level 15, and I've only gotten one treasure map... I think I got it from cleaning out a gang. Is that how you get all of them?

We should get one at rank 10 and every 5 ranks beyond. Try looking at the post office, otherwise it's bad news I'm afraid dude.

Gallows
1 hour ago, Callahan44 said:

It would make sense. Taking part in missions,races etc should be the way to go. But doing freeroam stuff should also be good,just a bit worse/different. Meat is not only for the butcher but also your best supply. And trapper gets you a ton of unique outfits,saddles(plus campupgrades like in sp). Its worth hunting,but its not the best you can do in terms of cash.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

First off, where is the trapper in online? Have you found the trapper in online and if so, where is he and what does he sell?

Second, hunting IS the best way to go for cash at the moment.

This is the balance R* wanted and I agree with that. BUT cash for missions/series should get a buff, but not to the level of hunting.

Hunting, fishing and such activities makes sense in terms of earning money. It fits the time period very well. We just need other stuff in the open world like farming, investing in a saloon, stable and such. 

Dr.Rosenthal

I have problems with this economy, for sure.

Example: On GTAO I have millions and millions. What did I do when I started making these millions? I bought more and more expensive stuff. I’ve become a car collector and bought back vehicles I sold years ago. I’ve started messing about with crew colors for $25k for each color change. I’ve bought the Lazer, and other expensive vehicles, and bought all vehicles on the CEO vehicle list to spawn for free. I sometimes use the orbital cannon three times in a day if I’m in that mood.

You get the point. Ever since I started making good money, the game has become more fun. I have more reason to play it, everything doesn’t feel like a grind anymore - and I still find ways to waste a lot of cash if I feel I want to. Point being, there has to be ways to lose money in the game, but it really shouldn’t be the way it is now (change of camp flag color $50 - whaaat?? Ok I won’t change color then).

If, get this one, if gambling would’ve been in the game (which we all thought it would be) we would have had those pitfalls, where players would try and win but where, on the whole, players would spend more than gain. And activities overall, put more of them in the game, and everything won’t have to be superexpensive.

What we see now is a developer who are so unsure of themselves that they just plaster $1000 on everything, let players make $1 from each job, put a big sign everywhere that says ”click here to pay with real money!”, and hope that things’ll work out.

Don’t they have economists working for them? Or maybe they do and they have some brilliant plan that none of us sees.

In the meantime, me and my friends are fishing for salmon and collecting perfect pelts as we travel, to buy the necessary stuff. But after I’ve bought the necessary stuff, any kind of grind is out of the question..

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Callahan44
12 minutes ago, Gallows said:

First off, where is the trapper in online? Have you found the trapper in online and if so, where is he and what does he sell?

This is the balance R* wanted and I agree with that. BUT cash for missions/series should get a buff, but not to the level of hunting.

Hunting, fishing and such activities makes sense in terms of earning money. It fits the time period very well. We just need other stuff in the open world like farming, investing in a saloon, stable and such. 

Yeah,there is no trapper but there hopefully will be a trapper. Yes,hunting is the best. I described how it should be imo.

Hunting is a side activity,it shouldnt pay better then missions etc.

Plus you get the best food while doing it and can probably get unique outfits in the future.

Edited by Callahan44

SCORE_PR0

You're gonna tell me the economy isn't broken. Okay. Meanwhile I'm selling platinum pocket watches and that's not even enough money for a box of oatcakes. OKAY.

Callahan44
1 minute ago, SCORE_PR0 said:

You're gonna tell me the economy isn't broken. Okay. Meanwhile I'm selling platinum pocket watches and that's not even enough money for a box of oatcakes. OKAY.

And in gta you rob a bank and cant afford a car. Whats this realism nonsense. 

Lonely-Martin
34 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Missions/co-op and adversarial modes (scaled down based off of finishing position) should be more rewarding in a online game where multiplayer is encouraged should pay more than a simple lone wolf way like Hunting, IMO.

GTA has that part right. Get a team, heist. Earn more than a lone wolf just wandering around one-shotting anything that moves.

There is zero encouragement here to embrace the other players other than for fun.

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording

Mrnrfan182

The fact that there are sheep who defend the choice to use a secondary currency tells me just how screwed we are.  It’s not about whether or not you HAVE to buy their currency, it’s the fact that gameplay mechanics are changed in order to make the AVERAGE player feel it’s necessary in order to compete.  

Instead of focusing on better matchmaking, correcting broken gameplay or delivering the experience and features players want (like playing poker).  Rockstar will spend their time chasing down glitches and exploits that affect their cat and mouse game of “how restrictive do we need to be to encourage players to give us money without directly asking for it”.  

All I know is that GTA:O is a steaming pile of sh*t full of combative practices between Rockstar and the players.  Instead of fixing gameplay they fix earning potential.  They punish players instead of reward them.  I’m not going through that again and I can’t get over just how many people would defend them...

Edited by Mrnrfan182

Lonely-Martin
24 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

And in gta you rob a bank and cant afford a car. Whats this realism nonsense. 

Dominator costs 35k. Still quite competitive today too in the right hands, or a Sabre Turbo as an alternative.

1 Fleeca job would buy both ;)

(Though it is GTA, so I say steal the bugger, lol).

Edited by Lonely-Martin
Wording

Big_Show

look it's pretty obvious what Rockstar is trying to do here. Since it is still a beta release they don't want the early starters getting to far ahead of the late adopters of the online version of this game.  There's a massive XP and money nerf at the moment, and it's purely designed to keep people from getting to far ahead and making the game unbalanced further down the track. Rockstar are just getting ready to implement the biggest paywall in history and take micro-transactions to the next level. So either grind you life away or pay to win/progress will be the true future of RDR2 Online. 

Edited by Big_Show

Lonely-Martin
5 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

look it's pretty obvious what Rockstar is trying to do here. Since it is still a beta release they don't want the early starters getting to far ahead of the late adopters of the online version of this game.  There's a massive XP and money nerf at the moment, and it's purely designed to keep people from getting to far ahead and making the game unbalanced further down the track. Rockstar are just getting ready to implement the biggest paywall in history and take micro-transactions to the next level. So either grind you life away or pay to win/progress will be the true future of RDR2 Online. 

Keep an eye on West Elizabeth in a busy session. It's beginning to look a lot like chritsm... I mean, GTA. ;)

If that keeps growing, I anticipate a wipe. So I'm just keeping my earnings and rewards at a minimum or I know I'll just get pissed off, lol.

Imagine getting to 4.8 gold and rank 30+ or something towards the insurance and trophy, and 'ping' see ya. :)

Big_Show
4 minutes ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Keep an eye on West Elizabeth in a busy session. It's beginning to look a lot like chritsm... I mean, GTA. ;)

If that keeps growing, I anticipate a wipe. So I'm just keeping my earnings and rewards at a minimum or I know I'll just get pissed off, lol.

Imagine getting to 4.8 gold and rank 30+ or something towards the insurance and trophy, and 'ping' see ya. :)

It's not enough to break the system,  even this method still takes hours. The only viable money making method is running your character through all contact missions, hitting rank 10, using the treasure map then resetting and starting over. I can't be bothered now, already sunk to many hours in to restart now, but if i was just starting out, I'd be hitting this method hard right now

Edited by Big_Show

Pressure Drop

How one can say the economy is not broken and not be trolling, is mighty hard for me to understand.

A can of beans costs $1.50. The same price a piece of valuable jewellery sells for. Fast travel via train or coach is around $10-$15. Doing a mission earns less than $10. Not coming 1st/2nd/3rd in a race gets you virtually nothing.

Hunting animals can be cool, until some griefer comes along and kills you. Then guess what? Yep, all those pelts and carcasses you just collected are now GONE. Vanished into thin air from the horse. Another time investment wasted. Another money making trip ruined.

But that's not the most important thing here. Some items can be bought ONLY WITH GOLD BARS. No option to buy with money, no, these items are special and can be only bought with gold bars. And what are these items? A fast travel post, A random shirt, Bait for the fishing hook, changing gun colour. Should I continue? Absolutely no chance to own any of these items unless you spend on microtransaction money.

And you have the nerve to sit there and say this economy is not broken. I'm sorry, but it's people like you, who will blindly agree with whatever Rockstar/TakeTwo decide, and argue for them that it is OK, that are the reason they get away with such insidious practices. It is NOT OK to lock away items that people are going to want behind a SEPERATE currency which is impossible to earn without spending real cash on buying it. The prices are absolutely ludicrous, go take another look son.

(PS, the 1 thing I will agree with OP on is that you don't need to buy EVERY repeater/pistol etc... a lot will, but I have good restraint, and actually look forward to grinding for the money to buy the guns I do actually want. But to make the customising of those guns as well as a lot of other things locked behind microtransactions is absolutely disgusting and you, the consumer, should see through this immediately.)

Gallows
49 minutes ago, Callahan44 said:

Yeah,there is no trapper but there hopefully will be a trapper. Yes,hunting is the best. I described how it should be imo.

Hunting is a side activity,it shouldnt pay better then missions etc.

Plus you get the best food while doing it and can probably get unique outfits in the future.

Well we just disagree then that a player can simply play missions and get both money and xp. Imo a variety of activities should be required to progress and making a living hunting makes sense and gives real value to hunting. You can buy your food if you want and you don’t need to Hunt much to feed yourself.

Callahan44
2 minutes ago, Gallows said:

Well we just disagree then that a player can simply play missions and get both money and xp. Imo a variety of activities should be required to progress and making a living hunting makes sense and gives real value to hunting. You can buy your food if you want and you don’t need to Hunt much to feed yourself.

Im not saying hunting shouldnt be valuable,it just shouldnt be basically the best you can do. You want to keep higher payouts then missions and as a bonus you get meat,which would be really expensive to buy and probably unique clothing soon,doesnt make sense to me. 

Even with no payment hunting would be important(i dont want tha!).