Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. Gameplay
      2. Missions
      3. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Arena War
      2. After Hours
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA Next

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

StevenT475

Bolt Action RIfle.... Why?

Recommended Posts

StevenT475

What is the deal with the bolt action rifle? $360 at rank 7? Seriously? Who is going to have $400 at rank 7? Except the people who will be buying gold. Everything else seems priced for the level required and what it is. I'm rank 6 and I only have about $37. Would have made hunting a lot easier.  Guess same can be said with pump shotgun. I smell pay-2-win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rithrius

Seems easy enough to get if you restart the game a few times. $360 is nothing compared to the price of everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SAS_Intruder

It is pay to win. There is no reason why bolt should be unlocked at low level but you have to wait much longer to get double barrel which was common weapon. Bolt rifle was more of a military thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayD70

Money sourcing is a bit rough in this game, but fear not. You can get the bolt-action rather easily.

 

1) Do the story missions. Not quick joining. Start each one yourself.

 

2) Only buy what you absolutely must have (ammo). Kill anything for meat and cook it for food.

 

3) Play the story up to "Kill them, each and every one."

 

By the time you finish that one, you should have $500-600. More than enough for the bolt action and some upgrades, or the bolt action and varmint rifle if you don't have it already. Then it's time to go hunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karlitoz-E

It's not that difficult tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TiberiusMcQueen

The rank 7 unlock part is odd I admit, I think it should be about 15, but putting together $400 shouldn't be too difficult if you really want the gun. Between hunting, fishing, gang hideouts, story missions and treasure maps it should be fine, takes time to earn the good items you want which is how it should be in online games like this, not saying I approve of all the grind in all areas of the game (or even most, most of the grind is just obscene in the game atm), we earn gold far too slowly and the mission payouts for gold and dollars are pitiful, and most of the clothing is just stupidly expensive with absurd level locks, but I don't think the bolt action is unreasonable.

Edited by TiberiusMcQueen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdmiralJT

Im glad the bolt action unlocks for low levels. The only rifle I wanted before Beta was the Springfield. I'm about 20 levels from unlocking it, but I only need another $17 for the bolt action rifle. I'm gonna buy the bolt action and use it, and probably won't bother trying to buy any other rifles. 

Edited by AdmiralJT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scuba 21

400$ for level 5 pump shotgun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pootflute

You get a bunch of money doing story missions. I had like $700 at level 12. Anyway, you don't NEED the rifle for hunting, you can simply lasso animals and knife them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The FoolYT

I was actually surprised it was cheap and low rank (at least compared to the other weapons) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtmike

First thing I bought, keeps other players at a distance. Fully upgraded it too, even the rifling ($80 lol) I'm level 17 now and back up to almost 1000 bucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cormag

Level 15, bolt action (which is an absolute beast BTW) Schofield, a few different outfits. How about play the game or not and stop whining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mik73

Luckily this one bit of kit is fairly easy to save for by doing Story Missions, being diligent about looting and hunting-selling as much as you can tolerate.  Abuse the Varmint rifle as much as you can killing birds (feathers) and small game. There seems to be a bug right now that defaults most Pelt kills with the Varmint to Perfect. Good cash in that.  Kill as many 4-legged beasties as you can to fill up 10-stacks of meat and other body parts, sell those (after cooking what you can for food).

 

You get one guaranteed treasure map at level 10 I think. Maybe another at level 15? I've looted a couple more from those Hideout event leaders. Good cash ($80-$100 I've seen).  You should have more then enough to get the Bolt Action (preferably with a Scope).

 

Then its once again how much hunting you have the patience for. Perfect Does/Bucks of various species sell for $6.50-$7.00 a pop. Not far from Valentine/Strawberry butcher.  Easiest and most lucrative hunting I think is Alligators north of St. Denis. 4 or 5 kills of a stationary target and you have $7.50 (10xbig game meat), $3.50 (perfect hide), $4.00 (10xteeth), and hopefully a bunch more $$ from shooting birds with the Varmint.  Shoot everything you can (players included I leave to you) while travelling between Stranger missions, Story missions or your damn Camp on the other side of the map...

 

After the Story missions and your Treasure maps run dry...well even I have my limits on how much hunting I want to do. Oh yeah, and careful with the Butcher. My friend and I keep running into the nasty bug where he eventually takes your item without paying you. Gotta exit his menus and go back in before he pays for another 3 or 4 items and bugs out again. Particularly bad at Tumbleweed, we found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZB 512

I hope we keep our progress after the beta is over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chrismads

I'd spend +500$ at the stores at lvl 10. 360$ at lvl 7 is very possible if you know how to make money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ghoffman9

I got it at rank 10 on my first and only day playing, I was very lucky in that I got two treasure maps and went and found the reward for both. The money I got from them combined with what I already had was just barely enough to purchase it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Money Over Bullshit
On 12/2/2018 at 12:58 AM, Mik73 said:

Luckily this one bit of kit is fairly easy to save for by doing Story Missions, being diligent about looting and hunting-selling as much as you can tolerate.  Abuse the Varmint rifle as much as you can killing birds (feathers) and small game. There seems to be a bug right now that defaults most Pelt kills with the Varmint to Perfect. Good cash in that.  Kill as many 4-legged beasties as you can to fill up 10-stacks of meat and other body parts, sell those (after cooking what you can for food).

 

You get one guaranteed treasure map at level 10 I think. Maybe another at level 15? I've looted a couple more from those Hideout event leaders. Good cash ($80-$100 I've seen).  You should have more then enough to get the Bolt Action (preferably with a Scope).

 

Then its once again how much hunting you have the patience for. Perfect Does/Bucks of various species sell for $6.50-$7.00 a pop. Not far from Valentine/Strawberry butcher.  Easiest and most lucrative hunting I think is Alligators north of St. Denis. 4 or 5 kills of a stationary target and you have $7.50 (10xbig game meat), $3.50 (perfect hide), $4.00 (10xteeth), and hopefully a bunch more $$ from shooting birds with the Varmint.  Shoot everything you can (players included I leave to you) while travelling between Stranger missions, Story missions or your damn Camp on the other side of the map...

 

After the Story missions and your Treasure maps run dry...well even I have my limits on how much hunting I want to do. Oh yeah, and careful with the Butcher. My friend and I keep running into the nasty bug where he eventually takes your item without paying you. Gotta exit his menus and go back in before he pays for another 3 or 4 items and bugs out again. Particularly bad at Tumbleweed, we found.

I bought the bolt action rifle at level 12 and honestly it's not all that great in combat. Says it's more powerful than the Springfield yet you can easily one shot enemies in story mode with that if it's in perfect condition. The Sawn Off is still a beast. I picked one up in one of the missions and you can easily massacre multiple enemies up close by either killing them in one shot or knocking them down with it and then finishing them off. I think it's level 18 so when people start getting that I can see the game turning into a bit of a joke tbh.

 

This obviously has nothing to do with the quoted text but I did want to ask this.. Where is the treasure map you're supposed to get at level 10?  I've also cleared out several gang hideouts and never picked up a single one.

Edited by Money Over Bullshit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nargris

Tbh im spending most days on this just fishing. Steelhead trout are $4.50 when sold to the butcher and you can carry 20 of each fish. I also then killed any animals on the trip to and from the lake which adds extra stuff to sell.

 

Made about $400 in about 4 hours or so. Money is only hard to get if you are playing this like its gta, this is a much more slow paced game. Replaying missions and PVP pay diddlesquat compared to the side stuff if you put time into it.

4 minutes ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

This obviously has nothing to do with the quoated text but I did want to ask this.. Where is the treasure map you're supposed to get at level 10?  I've also cleared out several gang hideouts and never picked up a single one.

The treadure maps from hideouts are randomly dropped and rare.

 

My lvl10 map was at the post office for pick up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Money Over Bullshit
3 minutes ago, nargris said:

The treadure maps from hideouts are randomly dropped and rare.

 

My lvl10 map was at the post office for pick up.

It's definitely not there. There was a time when I collected a load of ammo in one go so maybe it was lumped in with that.. I must check. I didn't get any kind of notification of it though and I'm almost certain that it's not in my satchel. I also lost the Gamblers Revolver and don't seem to be able to get it back. My Cattleman also went missing for a time but I eventually got that back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iddqdvie

you get about 500dollars

with the first „story“ playthrough. rant about something else please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The FoolYT
Just now, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

It's definitely not there. There was a time when I collected a load of ammo in one go so maybe it was lumped in with that.. I must check. I didn't get any kind of notification of it though and I'm almost certain that it's not in my satchel. I also lost the Gamblers Revolver and don't seem to be able to get it back. My Cattleman also went missing for a time but I eventually got that back.

Check your documents in your satchel. Treasure maps will reside there if picked up. You get treasure maps at level 10 and then every 5 levels after. 

 

For Hideouts, you need to loot the enemies and you have a rare chance of getting one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
11 hours ago, Cormag said:

Level 15, bolt action (which is an absolute beast BTW) Schofield, a few different outfits. How about play the game or not and stop whining.

Or do both. 

 

I want change, sharing info is a key way to increase chances. Agree or disagree with it. But it's happening bubbo. 

 

You know it's whining too, right? You bitch to silence us, lol. (Not that this particular issue is what I'm looking to see addressed mind).

Edited by Lonely-Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RayD70
11 minutes ago, The FoolYT said:

Check your documents in your satchel. Treasure maps will reside there if picked up. You get treasure maps at level 10 and then every 5 levels after. 

 

For Hideouts, you need to loot the enemies and you have a rare chance of getting one.

Also, once you look at the map, it "activates." I've heard people say it goes away if they fast travel (that didn't happen to me), or switch lobbies. So make sure you're going for it before you read it.

 

I've lost count of hideouts. I loot everyone. Average payout/reward for a hideout is around $1.50, a few minor pieces of food, maybe 2-3 potions... and... and that's it.

 

You do get another treasure map in the mail at 15.

 

I got the bolt action around level 11-12. (Got the money from doing the story missions and a treasure). Fully upgraded it by level 14.  At level 15, I got a notification that I had spent over $1000 in shops and still had a few hundred in reserve (saving for the Lancaster Repeater and upgrades) and that was mostly gun purchases/upgrades.

 

Yeah, money isn't easy to come by in this game and could be better. But it can be done. At least until R* nerfs the money we get from hunting/fishing... 😉

 

It would be nice if we could sell the consumables we don't want/need.

Edited by RayD70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tha-Jamz
15 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

Im glad the bolt action unlocks for low levels. The only rifle I wanted before Beata was the Springfield. I'm about 20 levels from unlocking it, but I only need another $17 for the bolt action rifle. I'm gonna buy the bolt action and use it, and probably won't bother trying to buy any other rifles. 

All i want are the springfield and litchfield, aftergonna grind my ass off hahaha, come on make some effort ! lolz ;) that im gonna save for custom upgrades on my guns, so its gonna take some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDeadNedKelly

I’ve just hit level 18 and am packing the Litchfield Repeater, Pump Action, Bolt Action Rifle and Volcanic Pistol. I don’t need to grind for another weapon now. I’ve got the high roller revolver for when I get a second holster but will probably just grab a second volcanic.

Granted, I did get the Ultimate Edition but that’s how I show R* my support. I’ve never bought in game currency and never will.

Having said all that however, if I hadn’t purchased the UE, I’d be right there with everyone else screaming at how obscene some of the prices are.

The only weapon I had to grind for was the Litchfield, I bought the Bolt Action after I completed the story and had change.

Now I can buy stoopid stuff at my leisure like overpriced upgrades and whiskey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fatsanchez

Im lvl 17 and still havent managed to buy the action rifle. Nor the schofield. Guess Ive spent too much money on clothes. Im close tho, 240 dollars on me, but I wanted to upgrade my Horseman ability too. Its not hard to grind for money once you have the Varmint, but Ive come across a lot of glitches last time Ive played that put me off. Guess I have to grind 500 dollars for both things. Hope the servers are performing better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr.Rosenthal

Noob question here, but which do you guys think is best; Bolt Action or Carcano rifle? Quite a difference in price and rank requirement, but I might save up for the Carcano if it’s the better weapon.

 

I preferred the Bolt Action in SP, but Online I have to set my tastes aside and go for the one with fastest reload and highest damage output. So, what do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zzmorg82
3 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Noob question here, but which do you guys think is best; Bolt Action or Carcano rifle? Quite a difference in price and rank requirement, but I might save up for the Carcano if it’s the better weapon.

 

I preferred the Bolt Action in SP, but Online I have to set my tastes aside and go for the one with fastest reload and highest damage output. So, what do you guys think?

Definately the Carcano. I love the Bolt Action in SinglePlayer myself but faster reload speed is cruicial at this point in Online.

Edited by zzmorg82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clinical oppression

I just bought the bolt action yesterday at rank 15 . I think it unlocks early cuz by rank 7 you could afford to buy it depending on your mobey/xp path . Then it could make you great return on investment with perfect big game kills . If this beta ending resets my character I'll be buying it asap after tge varmint rifle of course. 

Edited by clinical oppression

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdmiralJT
8 hours ago, clinical oppression said:

I just bought the bolt action yesterday at rank 15 . I think it unlocks early cuz by rank 7 you could afford to buy it depending on your mobey/xp path . Then it could make you great return on investment with perfect big game kills . If this beta ending resets my character I'll be buying it asap after tge varmint rifle of course. 

I agree, I just got mine tonight at level 15 also and as far as I'm concerned it's already paid for itself. I used to keep 3 guys bent on killing me from succeeding. I had a good chuckle as I picked them all off from a hilltop as they tried to get across the valley between us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.