3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

StevenT475

Bolt Action RIfle.... Why?

StevenT475

What is the deal with the bolt action rifle? $360 at rank 7? Seriously? Who is going to have $400 at rank 7? Except the people who will be buying gold. Everything else seems priced for the level required and what it is. I'm rank 6 and I only have about $37. Would have made hunting a lot easier.  Guess same can be said with pump shotgun. I smell pay-2-win. 

Rithrius

Seems easy enough to get if you restart the game a few times. $360 is nothing compared to the price of everything else.

SAS_Intruder

It is pay to win. There is no reason why bolt should be unlocked at low level but you have to wait much longer to get double barrel which was common weapon. Bolt rifle was more of a military thing. 

RayD70

Money sourcing is a bit rough in this game, but fear not. You can get the bolt-action rather easily.

1) Do the story missions. Not quick joining. Start each one yourself.

2) Only buy what you absolutely must have (ammo). Kill anything for meat and cook it for food.

3) Play the story up to "Kill them, each and every one."

By the time you finish that one, you should have $500-600. More than enough for the bolt action and some upgrades, or the bolt action and varmint rifle if you don't have it already. Then it's time to go hunting.

Karlitoz-E

It's not that difficult tbh

TiberiusMcQueen

The rank 7 unlock part is odd I admit, I think it should be about 15, but putting together $400 shouldn't be too difficult if you really want the gun. Between hunting, fishing, gang hideouts, story missions and treasure maps it should be fine, takes time to earn the good items you want which is how it should be in online games like this, not saying I approve of all the grind in all areas of the game (or even most, most of the grind is just obscene in the game atm), we earn gold far too slowly and the mission payouts for gold and dollars are pitiful, and most of the clothing is just stupidly expensive with absurd level locks, but I don't think the bolt action is unreasonable.

Edited by TiberiusMcQueen

AdmiralJT

Im glad the bolt action unlocks for low levels. The only rifle I wanted before Beta was the Springfield. I'm about 20 levels from unlocking it, but I only need another $17 for the bolt action rifle. I'm gonna buy the bolt action and use it, and probably won't bother trying to buy any other rifles. 

Edited by AdmiralJT

Scuba 21

400$ for level 5 pump shotgun

pootflute

You get a bunch of money doing story missions. I had like $700 at level 12. Anyway, you don't NEED the rifle for hunting, you can simply lasso animals and knife them.

The FoolYT

I was actually surprised it was cheap and low rank (at least compared to the other weapons) 

gtmike

First thing I bought, keeps other players at a distance. Fully upgraded it too, even the rifling ($80 lol) I'm level 17 now and back up to almost 1000 bucks.

Cormag

Level 15, bolt action (which is an absolute beast BTW) Schofield, a few different outfits. How about play the game or not and stop whining.

Mik73

Luckily this one bit of kit is fairly easy to save for by doing Story Missions, being diligent about looting and hunting-selling as much as you can tolerate.  Abuse the Varmint rifle as much as you can killing birds (feathers) and small game. There seems to be a bug right now that defaults most Pelt kills with the Varmint to Perfect. Good cash in that.  Kill as many 4-legged beasties as you can to fill up 10-stacks of meat and other body parts, sell those (after cooking what you can for food).

You get one guaranteed treasure map at level 10 I think. Maybe another at level 15? I've looted a couple more from those Hideout event leaders. Good cash ($80-$100 I've seen).  You should have more then enough to get the Bolt Action (preferably with a Scope).

Then its once again how much hunting you have the patience for. Perfect Does/Bucks of various species sell for $6.50-$7.00 a pop. Not far from Valentine/Strawberry butcher.  Easiest and most lucrative hunting I think is Alligators north of St. Denis. 4 or 5 kills of a stationary target and you have $7.50 (10xbig game meat), $3.50 (perfect hide), $4.00 (10xteeth), and hopefully a bunch more $$ from shooting birds with the Varmint.  Shoot everything you can (players included I leave to you) while travelling between Stranger missions, Story missions or your damn Camp on the other side of the map...

After the Story missions and your Treasure maps run dry...well even I have my limits on how much hunting I want to do. Oh yeah, and careful with the Butcher. My friend and I keep running into the nasty bug where he eventually takes your item without paying you. Gotta exit his menus and go back in before he pays for another 3 or 4 items and bugs out again. Particularly bad at Tumbleweed, we found.

ZB 512

I hope we keep our progress after the beta is over. 

Chrismads

I'd spend +500$ at the stores at lvl 10. 360$ at lvl 7 is very possible if you know how to make money.

Ghoffman9

I got it at rank 10 on my first and only day playing, I was very lucky in that I got two treasure maps and went and found the reward for both. The money I got from them combined with what I already had was just barely enough to purchase it.

Money Over Bullshit
On 12/2/2018 at 12:58 AM, Mik73 said:

Luckily this one bit of kit is fairly easy to save for by doing Story Missions, being diligent about looting and hunting-selling as much as you can tolerate.  Abuse the Varmint rifle as much as you can killing birds (feathers) and small game. There seems to be a bug right now that defaults most Pelt kills with the Varmint to Perfect. Good cash in that.  Kill as many 4-legged beasties as you can to fill up 10-stacks of meat and other body parts, sell those (after cooking what you can for food).

You get one guaranteed treasure map at level 10 I think. Maybe another at level 15? I've looted a couple more from those Hideout event leaders. Good cash ($80-$100 I've seen).  You should have more then enough to get the Bolt Action (preferably with a Scope).

Then its once again how much hunting you have the patience for. Perfect Does/Bucks of various species sell for $6.50-$7.00 a pop. Not far from Valentine/Strawberry butcher.  Easiest and most lucrative hunting I think is Alligators north of St. Denis. 4 or 5 kills of a stationary target and you have $7.50 (10xbig game meat), $3.50 (perfect hide), $4.00 (10xteeth), and hopefully a bunch more $$ from shooting birds with the Varmint.  Shoot everything you can (players included I leave to you) while travelling between Stranger missions, Story missions or your damn Camp on the other side of the map...

After the Story missions and your Treasure maps run dry...well even I have my limits on how much hunting I want to do. Oh yeah, and careful with the Butcher. My friend and I keep running into the nasty bug where he eventually takes your item without paying you. Gotta exit his menus and go back in before he pays for another 3 or 4 items and bugs out again. Particularly bad at Tumbleweed, we found.

I bought the bolt action rifle at level 12 and honestly it's not all that great in combat. Says it's more powerful than the Springfield yet you can easily one shot enemies in story mode with that if it's in perfect condition. The Sawn Off is still a beast. I picked one up in one of the missions and you can easily massacre multiple enemies up close by either killing them in one shot or knocking them down with it and then finishing them off. I think it's level 18 so when people start getting that I can see the game turning into a bit of a joke tbh.

This obviously has nothing to do with the quoted text but I did want to ask this.. Where is the treasure map you're supposed to get at level 10?  I've also cleared out several gang hideouts and never picked up a single one.

Edited by Money Over Bullshit

nargris

Tbh im spending most days on this just fishing. Steelhead trout are $4.50 when sold to the butcher and you can carry 20 of each fish. I also then killed any animals on the trip to and from the lake which adds extra stuff to sell.

Made about $400 in about 4 hours or so. Money is only hard to get if you are playing this like its gta, this is a much more slow paced game. Replaying missions and PVP pay diddlesquat compared to the side stuff if you put time into it.

4 minutes ago, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

This obviously has nothing to do with the quoated text but I did want to ask this.. Where is the treasure map you're supposed to get at level 10?  I've also cleared out several gang hideouts and never picked up a single one.

The treadure maps from hideouts are randomly dropped and rare.

My lvl10 map was at the post office for pick up.

Money Over Bullshit
3 minutes ago, nargris said:

The treadure maps from hideouts are randomly dropped and rare.

My lvl10 map was at the post office for pick up.

It's definitely not there. There was a time when I collected a load of ammo in one go so maybe it was lumped in with that.. I must check. I didn't get any kind of notification of it though and I'm almost certain that it's not in my satchel. I also lost the Gamblers Revolver and don't seem to be able to get it back. My Cattleman also went missing for a time but I eventually got that back.

iddqdvie

you get about 500dollars

with the first „story“ playthrough. rant about something else please

The FoolYT
Just now, Money Over Bullsh*t said:

It's definitely not there. There was a time when I collected a load of ammo in one go so maybe it was lumped in with that.. I must check. I didn't get any kind of notification of it though and I'm almost certain that it's not in my satchel. I also lost the Gamblers Revolver and don't seem to be able to get it back. My Cattleman also went missing for a time but I eventually got that back.

Check your documents in your satchel. Treasure maps will reside there if picked up. You get treasure maps at level 10 and then every 5 levels after. 

For Hideouts, you need to loot the enemies and you have a rare chance of getting one.

Lonely-Martin
11 hours ago, Cormag said:

Level 15, bolt action (which is an absolute beast BTW) Schofield, a few different outfits. How about play the game or not and stop whining.

Or do both. 

I want change, sharing info is a key way to increase chances. Agree or disagree with it. But it's happening bubbo. 

You know it's whining too, right? You bitch to silence us, lol. (Not that this particular issue is what I'm looking to see addressed mind).

Edited by Lonely-Martin

RayD70
11 minutes ago, The FoolYT said:

Check your documents in your satchel. Treasure maps will reside there if picked up. You get treasure maps at level 10 and then every 5 levels after. 

For Hideouts, you need to loot the enemies and you have a rare chance of getting one.

Also, once you look at the map, it "activates." I've heard people say it goes away if they fast travel (that didn't happen to me), or switch lobbies. So make sure you're going for it before you read it.

I've lost count of hideouts. I loot everyone. Average payout/reward for a hideout is around $1.50, a few minor pieces of food, maybe 2-3 potions... and... and that's it.

You do get another treasure map in the mail at 15.

I got the bolt action around level 11-12. (Got the money from doing the story missions and a treasure). Fully upgraded it by level 14.  At level 15, I got a notification that I had spent over $1000 in shops and still had a few hundred in reserve (saving for the Lancaster Repeater and upgrades) and that was mostly gun purchases/upgrades.

Yeah, money isn't easy to come by in this game and could be better. But it can be done. At least until R* nerfs the money we get from hunting/fishing... 😉

It would be nice if we could sell the consumables we don't want/need.

Edited by RayD70

Tha-Jamz
15 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

Im glad the bolt action unlocks for low levels. The only rifle I wanted before Beata was the Springfield. I'm about 20 levels from unlocking it, but I only need another $17 for the bolt action rifle. I'm gonna buy the bolt action and use it, and probably won't bother trying to buy any other rifles. 

All i want are the springfield and litchfield, aftergonna grind my ass off hahaha, come on make some effort ! lolz ;) that im gonna save for custom upgrades on my guns, so its gonna take some time.

RedDeadNedKelly

I’ve just hit level 18 and am packing the Litchfield Repeater, Pump Action, Bolt Action Rifle and Volcanic Pistol. I don’t need to grind for another weapon now. I’ve got the high roller revolver for when I get a second holster but will probably just grab a second volcanic.

Granted, I did get the Ultimate Edition but that’s how I show R* my support. I’ve never bought in game currency and never will.

Having said all that however, if I hadn’t purchased the UE, I’d be right there with everyone else screaming at how obscene some of the prices are.

The only weapon I had to grind for was the Litchfield, I bought the Bolt Action after I completed the story and had change.

Now I can buy stoopid stuff at my leisure like overpriced upgrades and whiskey.

Fatsanchez

Im lvl 17 and still havent managed to buy the action rifle. Nor the schofield. Guess Ive spent too much money on clothes. Im close tho, 240 dollars on me, but I wanted to upgrade my Horseman ability too. Its not hard to grind for money once you have the Varmint, but Ive come across a lot of glitches last time Ive played that put me off. Guess I have to grind 500 dollars for both things. Hope the servers are performing better.

Dr.Rosenthal

Noob question here, but which do you guys think is best; Bolt Action or Carcano rifle? Quite a difference in price and rank requirement, but I might save up for the Carcano if it’s the better weapon.

I preferred the Bolt Action in SP, but Online I have to set my tastes aside and go for the one with fastest reload and highest damage output. So, what do you guys think?

zzmorg82
3 hours ago, Dr.Rosenthal said:

Noob question here, but which do you guys think is best; Bolt Action or Carcano rifle? Quite a difference in price and rank requirement, but I might save up for the Carcano if it’s the better weapon.

I preferred the Bolt Action in SP, but Online I have to set my tastes aside and go for the one with fastest reload and highest damage output. So, what do you guys think?

Definately the Carcano. I love the Bolt Action in SinglePlayer myself but faster reload speed is cruicial at this point in Online.

Edited by zzmorg82

clinical oppression

I just bought the bolt action yesterday at rank 15 . I think it unlocks early cuz by rank 7 you could afford to buy it depending on your mobey/xp path . Then it could make you great return on investment with perfect big game kills . If this beta ending resets my character I'll be buying it asap after tge varmint rifle of course. 

Edited by clinical oppression

AdmiralJT
8 hours ago, clinical oppression said:

I just bought the bolt action yesterday at rank 15 . I think it unlocks early cuz by rank 7 you could afford to buy it depending on your mobey/xp path . Then it could make you great return on investment with perfect big game kills . If this beta ending resets my character I'll be buying it asap after tge varmint rifle of course. 

I agree, I just got mine tonight at level 15 also and as far as I'm concerned it's already paid for itself. I used to keep 3 guys bent on killing me from succeeding. I had a good chuckle as I picked them all off from a hilltop as they tried to get across the valley between us.