2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Online Hunting!

SeymourFanny

Hunting in RD Online is the best way to grind cash atm imo made $160 in the space of an hour so far and I was wondering what the most valued pelt/carcass is? So far I found that spoonbill bird is very valuable with two birds worth of feathers I got around $11? 

Also please use this thread to discuss/bitch/praise hunting all comments are open!

• Like 4

Lonely-Martin

For me, the best pelts are obviously worth more, but the travel and time to find them compared to frequently selling lesser but easier to find game is something I'm interested in.

If it takes (for example as I haven't played enough to know) 20 mins between 3 star pelts compared to popping 10 rabbits in 5 minutes pays more, cool. But atm I'm just skinning anything as it all pays. :)

• Like 3

Just now, Lonely-Martin said:

For me, the best pelts are obviously worth more, but the travel and time to find them compared to frequently selling lesser but easier to find game is something I'm interested in.

If it takes (for example as I haven't played enough to know) 20 mins between 3 star pelts compared to popping 10 rabbits in 5 minutes pays more, cool. But atm I'm just skinning anything as it all pays. :)

Of course!! Tbh I'm finding it annoying asf to get perfect pelts seem to be getting one shots to critical spots and poets still turning out poor? As you said though one tactic is just to kill everything and it works aswell as you said, I find it fun to hunt as I'm traveling between places so when I arrive I have a fresh stock to sell before moving on to the next town 

• Like 1

Invest in a bow asap. Being able to take multiple kills in an area without a gunshot scaring everything else away is a godsend, reusable ammo is a nice bonus, and it's quite handy for stealth kills against human prey as well. The Varmint and Bolt Action Rifle are also good buys as they let you take the smallest and largest game, respectively. Bolt Action is also the best all-around non-shotgun longarm imho.

• Like 9

Lonely-Martin
4 minutes ago, SeymourFanny said:

Of course!! Tbh I'm finding it annoying asf to get perfect pelts seem to be getting one shots to critical spots and poets still turning out poor? As you said though one tactic is just to kill everything and it works aswell as you said, I find it fun to hunt as I'm traveling between places so when I arrive I have a fresh stock to sell before moving on to the next town 

I do find that the aim can be a bit buggy, but I'm sure once I open the game up and own more things like small game arrows and such, and not being too near other players that can either spook animals or just hang on me shooting away I'll look to score more deliberate stuff will be more for fun/sport than profit. 

Just gotta get my bow and rod and then I can really get stuck in. I hope the fishing can be competitive too.

I just ride around shooting small game like rabbits, birds, skunks. Then I end with lassoing a deer and taking it all to the butcher... If I can manage as most animals stutter across my screen as if their players with bad internet.

Best technique I’ve found so far, is to hunt around the plains near Valentine, the plains always spawn deer, buck and pronghorn, alongside with rabbits etc. And Valentine because the butcher is close to said plains. I look out for three star buck, as the carcass sells for ten dollars, plus antlers, the pelt and meat if you chose to (can’t remember the total) and around 10 dollars in total for a deer or pronghorn.

It’s been quite an efficient method for me, of course money per hour varies on your luck and how quickly you come across a three star animal, but because of the close distance to the Valentine butcher, I’ve been making good bank.

Edited by Stormingz
  • Like 3

I use a lasso and my bowie knife. Saves on costs and never damages a pelt. This only works for middle/large animals though. I sell the whole carcass, get more cash.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Pocket Fox said:

I use a lasso and my bowie knife. Saves on costs and never damages a pelt. This only works for middle/large animals though. I sell the whole carcass, get more cash.

Ive been Doing the same with Buck around Valentine but I'm still ending up with poor pelts?? I have got a perfect one from it before but the majority still end up being poor even though I use my knife and lasso to kill the animal? The most money is in smaller game tho I think, with the meats and feathers what you can store up to ten of can be worth a lot 

8 hours ago, SeymourFanny said:

Ive been Doing the same with Buck around Valentine but I'm still ending up with poor pelts?? I have got a perfect one from it before but the majority still end up being poor even though I use my knife and lasso to kill the animal? The most money is in smaller game tho I think, with the meats and feathers what you can store up to ten of can be worth a lot 

Hunt farm animals. They are 2-3 star. Them bulls, oh boy. Lotsa meat, a horn and a good hide. 6+ dollars

A very efficient way to make a buck via hunting, hunt for any flying birds in the swamps of Lemoyne, particularly herons and pelicans, the star of the animal doesn’t matter, as all you want is the feathers (but if you do get a perfect carcass, you may as well take it) don’t forget to use the Varmint rifle either.

A great choice of location is just north of Saint-Denis, (from the butcher) follow the train tracks North just out of the city, great spot for herons and pelicans, but watch out for alligators (which you can also kill for pelts if you wish).

I think a total of ten heron feathers added up to roughly 15 dollars, and that can be done in 5 minutes, as one three star heron gives three heron feathers. So, if you get ten pelican feathers, ten heron feathers, you’ve made 30 dollars in a short amount of time, plus any pelts or carcass that you sell on top. Also worth adding is, there are hogs and sometimes bucks in the area too.

I think the max I made in one hunting trip was around $75, which was almost a dream for 15 minutes work.

Edited by Stormingz

4 minutes ago, Stormingz said:

I think the max I made in one hunting trip was around $75, which was almost a dream for 15 minutes work.

Yeah that spot has been my go-to as well, for the same reasons. Alligators do make great, easy targets. It's their meat and teeth that make the most money. 4 or 5 kills and you max out.  Invariably 1 will be a 3-star for decent Hide money.

I haven't tried hunting near Valentine with Lasso, knife and bow yet. Sounds like a fun way to go.

Edited by Mik73

1 minute ago, Mik73 said:

Yeah that spot has been my go-to as well, for the same reasons. Alligators do make great, easy targets. It's their meat and teeth that make the most money. 4 or 5 kills and you max out. 

I haven't tried hunting near Valentine with Lasso, knife and bow yet. Sounds like a fun way to go.

Yeah I even forgot to mention the alligators teeth, this spot is like a gold mine for hunting.

I’ve hunted around the Valentine area, although with a bow and only killing three star animals, that method isn’t bad, and fun to go back to from time to time, but I must admit this Saint-Denis spot is much better in terms of time spent and money gained.

clinical oppression

There are small American alligators that are usually 3 stars ......these puppies will net over 10 bucks with the carcass coming in at 6.50 3 teeth for 1.20  and 3x big game meats for 2 10 and the skin (can't remember around 3 vucks) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lonely-Martin said:

Just shoot everything, all small and big animals. Continue hunting until you have a perfect carcass on the back and two smaller perfect ones on the side. Then go to the butcher, sell and repeat. You’ll earn $100+ Per hour easily. Also whenever you ride somewhere, just shoot all animals you come across where you don’t have to divert too much from your route. You’ll easily get $20-30 for a trip from Rhodes to Valentine for instance.

Edited by Gallows
  • Like 2

TiberiusMcQueen

Hunting/fishing is the one aspect of online that I have no complaints about, I'll ride from Strawberry to lake Owanjila and shoot all the small game along the way, go fishing until one of the slots is full, and then ride back again picking up all the small game I see along the way and make a nice profit at the butcher, had a very stable session today and was able to make some pretty good money and just relax and enjoy the game.

Just now, TiberiusMcQueen said:

Hunting/fishing is the one aspect of online that I have no complaints about, I'll ride from Strawberry to lake Owanjila and shoot all the small game along the way, go fishing until one of the slots is full, and then ride back again picking up all the small game I see along the way and make a nice profit at the butcher, had a very stable session today and was able to make some pretty good money and just relax and enjoy the game.

It works pretty good,but without the needs for perfect pelts for trapper/camp the most exciting aspect is gone imo. Hope it returns soon with much,much more options.

Does it still not matter if your fish is 100g or 500g? Thats one thing that should change.

TiberiusMcQueen
1 minute ago, Callahan44 said:

It works pretty good,but without the needs for perfect pelts for trapper/camp the most exciting aspect is gone imo. Hope it returns soon with much,much more options.

Does it still not matter if your fish is 100g or 500g? Thats one thing that should change.

Size of fish still doesn't matter unfortunately, and yeah I hope the trapper is something that they just haven't turned on/added yet in the beta, it would add some incentive to go after more difficult game if the trapper came back.

I would like the Trapper to return to Red Dead Online, and of course a new batch of Legendary Animals. Just like Red Dead Redemption's story mode and multiplayer.

Eh, why shouldn't Rockstar also bring in "War Horse Guy"? Or an NPC who will be heard thundering towards your spawn in location on a War Horse after missions, and will have no problem with trampling you if you get in his way.

I'm not great with the bow, but do a lot of hunting so far. I am a Hunter. I just get everything I can.

6 minutes ago, Miketv said:

I love fishing, but is it worth it? How much do you make by catching like 10 small or medium fish?

The little ones I've been getting, that would be 10$ usually. Pretty quick to get, but not a huge amount of money. I'm not sure how the other fish are priced online though. These fishes I've sold for a dollar are around 10 ounces to 1lb 6 ounces, small fish.

I fish a lot made 100$ earlier in about 15 minutes not bad. Hunting is really nice also but knowing what to hunt is key, plumes will make you a very wealthy person. I don't understand why I can pick vanilla though or sell snake oil or cigarettes but it's whatever 

RedDeadNedKelly
14 hours ago, Stormingz said:

Best technique I’ve found so far, is to hunt around the plains near Valentine, the plains always spawn deer, buck and pronghorn, alongside with rabbits etc. And Valentine because the butcher is close to said plains. I look out for three star buck, as the carcass sells for ten dollars, plus antlers, the pelt and meat if you chose to (can’t remember the total) and around 10 dollars in total for a deer or pronghorn.

This guy knows what’s up. Three star Pronghorn Buck nets you around $15 in total (carcass, hide, antlers and meat). Quick turnaround due to proximity to butcher

I also snot rabbits,snakes, a turkey or badger, some rats and a few two star deer pelts in the process.

Load that dang horse up and npcs will even comment on your great haul. 👍🏻

I’m about 500xp away from level 18 and I’ve already got enough dollarydoos for the Litchfield. 🤘🏻🤠🤘🏻

Edited by RedDeadNedKelly
More to say.
  • Like 2

What about the bow? Anyone recommend? What are the benefits? Are they good for those Heron birds?

Edited by Miketv

Bow lets you keep taking game in an area whereas gunshots tend to scare most creatures off and force you to relocate. Less damage to pelts, reusable ammo, and pretty useful for stealth kills in some missions as well. And further down the progression ladder, dynamite arrows...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Callahan44 said:

Varmint is the best for herons. Its pretty insane,with a bit of luck you get 20 dollars in a minute.

Exactly, the varmint rifle was my first investiment just because of this. 

As somebody trying to take birds on the wing in free aim, can we get some friggin' birdshot added???