3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Rithrius

This is just what Red Dead Online is!

Rithrius

So, just now I noticed someone doing a mission. He had to deliver 2 wagons or whatever, and suddenly i get a pop-up saying i could go over there and rain on his parade by destroying the wagons if i wanted to. So i go over there, shoot the guy, and drive one of the wagons into the nearby river, which caused him to fail his mission. Next thing i know he and his friend are coming after me with killing intent. I loop around them, kill them both, went on with my business, and suddenly i'm the bad guy! 🙄

Alot of people here would say: "Stop being such a dick, you childish trolling griefer!" but before you do, let me say this. The game encourages this behaviour. It straight up tells you you can be an asshole and ruin someone else's good time. So to those who are bothered by this: You might as well play another game because this is just how RDO works. Take your losses like a man. If you get shot, shoot back. If you get killed, get revenge! If you can't cope with that, this game simply isn't for you, and that's the hard truth of it.

And those guys sitting around town shooting anyone in sight? They're begging for me to come over there and find a way to kill them. It's a game, and i welcome the challenge. Coming to this forum and complaining that people are being mean won't solve anything. Man up and beat them at their own game.

ALifeOfMisery
16 minutes ago, Rithrius said:

Man up and beat them at their own game.

Here we are, 2018, where the measure by which you're "manhood" is judged (sorry to all you female and non-binary players) is whether or not you kill someone else's virtual toon. 

The thought of another 5 years of this, ugh, 10:20am is late enough to start drinking, isn't it?

Edited by ALifeOfMisery

HamwithCheese

Haha

"it's how the game is meant to be played" 

"suddenly IM the bad guy"

boy it's almost as if these massive open world games with lots of player choices ARENT supposed to be played in a specific way and that you merely did what the game suggested you to do just like how it suggests to find lobbies, join jobs, kill yourself, ect

Boy I sure hope you arent this literal in real life.

Edited by HamwithCheese

unicornace

I've already started smoking so its cool if you're drinking bro. This stuff is also in the intro to online. It straight up tells you thats a way to play the game. So far in my experience its been 60-40 in favour of folk just getting on with their business

Shadowfennekin

I only f*cked with somebody cause it's literally an achievement

I have no idea why people should even bother ruining somebody's day for a few coins outside of that though

fryday

So the Online weekend is here,

all of my freinds couldnt wait to play coop missions, hunt together and play some poker against each other....

but the experience is:

1.) No way to get close to he coop mission markers because of triggerhappy griefers, so no missions atm

2.) lets hunt a bit...wait? no legendary animals like RDR1?

3.) ok then lets play poker....wait there is no poker

absolutely disappointed at this state of game....the technical crashes are ignored here

Edited by fryday
addition

Mik73

That's exactly what is going to happen. If nothing changes and this, as you say, is what RDO is....Then the massive majority of reasonable players who just want to do some co-op with buddies and not wreck other peoples fun will jump ship to other games. RDO will be a ghost town because the ability to PVP in Free Roam is nothing like the instant gratification, speed, action and variety of GTAO or more dedicated FPS games.  RDO, by it's nature, is a slower burn. And it's that slower burn that draws a very different kind of player to want to play it.  Maybe RD1 was different. But after the experience we all had (are having) with RDR2 Single Player...this is clearly a very different kindof a game. It's begging for more immersive, casual, relaxed, long-term sandbox style gameplay.

The very limited PVP-centric gameplay we have now is already scaring away the 'heart and soul' players who could give RDO's incredibly detailed virtual world some authentic Old West life and character. Instead we have GTAO types running around killing indiscriminately all over the map creating yet another paranoid and toxic environment where nobody has any other choice except kill or be killed. It's the absolute antithesis of immersion and world-building.

Rockstar has it's lunatic cauldron of 'tryhards' in GTAO. This game does itself a massive disservice by trying to mimic it's 'formula'.  R* needs to go in a completely different direction with this game vs GTAO. Starting with Free Roam no longer being PVP but PVE by default. Everyone should be able to log in, join friends and engage in PVE behavior on their own schedule and in their own manner. Not with Solo/Invite sessions that would make a huge, sparsely populated game feel even lonelier...but by ditching unrestricted PVP Free Roam from Red Dead completely and having a single session type we all call home: PVE .  You then layer on PVP Free Roam Events, Bounty Hunting, Duels, Zone Control battles, etc, like the Stranger mission the OP did his number on.  

Quick example of how that Stranger mission should work:

Posse 1 - Starts Stranger Mission

Entire lobby gets a message (similar to the Event messages we get now) that Posse 1 is starting a PVP enabled Stranger Mission (there should be a 50/50 split between PVP Stranger missions and PVE. Options man, all we ask for are options). Now everyone in the lobby has exactly 60 seconds to Join that mission as Adversaries. 

Posse 2, 3 and 4 all select 'Yes' to Join that Stranger Mission as Adversaries. From now on all members of Posse 1, 2, 3 and 4 are flagged and can engage in PVP with each other until the mission is complete.

See what happens there? You get your PVP fix. You can interrupt other players missions, as designed, but it's ENTIRELY consensual by all parties. Everyone knows what they're getting into. And the entirely of the rest of the Lobby can go about it's business buying, selling, PVE'ing, hunting, fishing, moseying, bar hopping, or whatever else in PEACE. 

PVP needs to be Opt In and more carefully nuanced and staged in such a way so as to ENHANCE the feeling of immersion we get while playing this Old West sandbox game. Right now it's destroying it by turning the entire thing into a trivial, repetitive, boring, frustrating and utterly mindless killfest. Just like GTAO. But it's too late to save that game. Hopefully we can still do something about this game, because as it stands right now....it's not working as well as it could.

areyouchappin

umm but you are the bad guy in that situation, you went out of your way to try and ruin someone else's mission for your own personal gain lol no one said you aren't suppose to kill players, you're allowed to intercept missions, that's not the problem. The problem is a posse of level 15 to 20s will camp out an entire town which completely cuts off any missions in that area... or they'll move across the map causing chaos because there is literally nothing else to do on Red Dead Online. This is Rockstar's fault, not yours or anyone else's, they should have implemented a system that allows you to select missions(and have more activities to do) from a menu similar to GTA:Online. The Parley systems don't work properly, they need to just add Passive-mode again.

In New Austin, there is two butchers in the entire state... that means I have to either go all the way over to Blackwater or Tumbleweed to sell my pelts/carcasses. If a posse is in my way, according to your knowledge, guess what I better just suck it up and realize that my fun and gameplay is not as important as everyone else's who want to kill for no reason. Not to mention, Rockstar thought it was just an amazing idea to make Amardillo a ghost town stricken by disease, that was cool in the single player story arc but now in Online, we need everything we can get..

Realism made the single player amazing, but I believe too much realism is choking the life out of Red Dead Online.

RedDeadNedKelly

Would you jump off a bridge if the game told you to?

Tampinha85

I mean the payoff to destroy the wagons is so low that its not worth it unless you want to be a dick to others.

Edited by Tampinha85

Gallows
1 hour ago, Rithrius said:

So, just now I noticed someone doing a mission. He had to deliver 2 wagons or whatever, and suddenly i get a pop-up saying i could go over there and rain on his parade by destroying the wagons if i wanted to. So i go over there, shoot the guy, and drive one of the wagons into the nearby river, which caused him to fail his mission. Next thing i know he and his friend are coming after me with killing intent. I loop around them, kill them both, went on with my business, and suddenly i'm the bad guy! 🙄

Alot of people here would say: "Stop being such a dick, you childish trolling griefer!" but before you do, let me say this. The game encourages this behaviour. It straight up tells you you can be an asshole and ruin someone else's good time. So to those who are bothered by this: You might as well play another game because this is just how RDO works. Take your losses like a man. If you get shot, shoot back. If you get killed, get revenge! If you can't cope with that, this game simply isn't for you, and that's the hard truth of it.

And those guys sitting around town shooting anyone in sight? They're begging for me to come over there and find a way to kill them. It's a game, and i welcome the challenge. Coming to this forum and complaining that people are being mean won't solve anything. Man up and beat them at their own game.

The game does not force your hand. It gives you the option. Just because you can, does not mean you should, and it certainly doesn’t mean you should be able to do it without consequences. Of course you’re the bad guy for what you did or everyone would just do it without thinking about it. How much fun would that be for trying to deliver wagons.

The game gives you options for being a bad guy, but deciding to be a bad guy, will make you a bad guy in terms of game mechanics. I do not understand why this doesn’t make sense to you.

It’s still not perfect however, because sometimes you can become a bad guy for just defending yourself. 

Edited by Gallows

LunaticPandora
16 minutes ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

I mean, if there was an achievement for it.... 

What is dignity

I mean yeah it is a game where you're choosing to be an outlaw or a cowboy like Rockstar said. You can choose to be the law abiding citizen which it seems most people on this forum want to be or you can be the evil son of a bitch who kills people for money and XP which is what others want. I see no problem with either. I've been on both sides of the law and so far I can't complain about either.

Gallows

I’ll just add that PvE lobbies should be added, but I’ll still be playing on PvP lobbies because not being able to shoot everyone I meet would seem stupid in a Wild West game. But they most certainly should add PvE lobbies.

Lonely-Martin

You know I never thought of that. Just play as I'm told in an open world with choice, lol.

But then again, I'm not simple minded.

Pure ignorance by many. This game took a huge backward step by pandering to one playstyle. Time tells, but if this is R*, they limit potential.

Edited by Lonely-Martin

The FoolYT

I wouldn't bother soloing those orange missions in free roam. It has bad pay as it is and having only one person generally encourages people to come mess with ya, especially if you are in a populated area.

Lonely-Martin
37 minutes ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

I honestly think some would!

fryday
23 minutes ago, LunaticPandora said:

I mean, if there was an achievement for it.... 

Me and my buddy jumped a cliff 20 times in RDR1 because there was a trophy/achievement for it :D

10 minutes ago, The FoolYT said:

I wouldn't bother soloing those orange missions in free roam. It has bad pay as it is and having only one person generally encourages people to come mess with ya, especially if you are in a populated area.

so unbalanced!

sell a buck in 5 minutes : 5-10 dollars

side mission: 2,76 dollar within 15 minutes

Gallows
4 minutes ago, fryday said:

Me and my buddy jumped a cliff 20 times in RDR1 because there was a trophy/achievement for it :D

so unbalanced!

sell a buck in 5 minutes : 5-10 dollars

side mission: 2,76 dollar within 15 minutes

It is a bit unbalanced yes, but you get low exp from hunting, so it should pay more.

Big Molio
1 hour ago, RedDeadNedKelly said:

Same old fallacies from GTAO. The game's notifications are invites, not orders.

"Destroy a wagon for $" is not telling you what you must do, but what you can do. If you like.

If you choose to do so, that's legit. If you choose not to. That's legit as well.

What is dignity
1 minute ago, Big Molio said:

"Destroy a wagon for $" is not telling you what you must do, but what you can do. If you like.

If you choose to do so, that's legit. If you choose not to. That's legit as well.

Exactly. When the game notifies me of things like that I just say "Oh, that's nice" then make a decision. Sometimes I let them go if they seem outnumbered or new and sometimes I feel like sacking a wagon for fun. I'm not ever being bossed around, the bridge argument is a terrible one to make.

ALifeOfMisery
1 hour ago, Mik73 said:

That's exactly what is going to happen. If nothing changes and this, as you say, is what RDO is....Then the massive majority of reasonable players who just want to do some co-op with buddies and not wreck other peoples fun will jump ship to other games. RDO will be a ghost town because the ability to PVP in Free Roam is nothing like the instant gratification, speed, action and variety of GTAO or more dedicated FPS games.  RDO, by it's nature, is a slower burn. And it's that slower burn that draws a very different kind of player to want to play it.  Maybe RD1 was different. But after the experience we all had (are having) with RDR2 Single Player...this is clearly a very different kindof a game. It's begging for more immersive, casual, relaxed, long-term sandbox style gameplay.

The very limited PVP-centric gameplay we have now is already scaring away the 'heart and soul' players who could give RDO's incredibly detailed virtual world some authentic Old West life and character. Instead we have GTAO types running around killing indiscriminately all over the map creating yet another paranoid and toxic environment where nobody has any other choice except kill or be killed. It's the absolute antithesis of immersion and world-building.

Rockstar has it's lunatic cauldron of 'tryhards' in GTAO. This game does itself a massive disservice by trying to mimic it's 'formula'.  R* needs to go in a completely different direction with this game vs GTAO. Starting with Free Roam no longer being PVP but PVE by default. Everyone should be able to log in, join friends and engage in PVE behavior on their own schedule and in their own manner. Not with Solo/Invite sessions that would make a huge, sparsely populated game feel even lonelier...but by ditching unrestricted PVP Free Roam from Red Dead completely and having a single session type we all call home: PVE .  You then layer on PVP Free Roam Events, Bounty Hunting, Duels, Zone Control battles, etc, like the Stranger mission the OP did his number on.  

Quick example of how that Stranger mission should work:

Posse 1 - Starts Stranger Mission

Entire lobby gets a message (similar to the Event messages we get now) that Posse 1 is starting a PVP enabled Stranger Mission (there should be a 50/50 split between PVP Stranger missions and PVE. Options man, all we ask for are options). Now everyone in the lobby has exactly 60 seconds to Join that mission as Adversaries. 

Posse 2, 3 and 4 all select 'Yes' to Join that Stranger Mission as Adversaries. From now on all members of Posse 1, 2, 3 and 4 are flagged and can engage in PVP with each other until the mission is complete.

See what happens there? You get your PVP fix. You can interrupt other players missions, as designed, but it's ENTIRELY consensual by all parties. Everyone knows what they're getting into. And the entirely of the rest of the Lobby can go about it's business buying, selling, PVE'ing, hunting, fishing, moseying, bar hopping, or whatever else in PEACE. 

PVP needs to be Opt In and more carefully nuanced and staged in such a way so as to ENHANCE the feeling of immersion we get while playing this Old West sandbox game. Right now it's destroying it by turning the entire thing into a trivial, repetitive, boring, frustrating and utterly mindless killfest. Just like GTAO. But it's too late to save that game. Hopefully we can still do something about this game, because as it stands right now....it's not working as well as it could.

I like how you think.

The experience you describe here is possibly closer to the ideal experience RDO could offer me than anything I had thought of myself.

If R* had delivered this experience I'd give them a huge pat on the back, make my feelings known about the unbalanced economy, but overall be completely satisfied with what R* had delivered.

If R* followed on to somewhat balance the economy I'd genuinely consider spending some cash on Gold Bars as a thank you.

As it stands I can barely get motivated to play.

Rooni

Yo how do you destroy people's wagons without driving them into a river. I tried to destroy this guy's caravan and we were no where near any water, so I threw 7 throwing knives into the horses driving the wagons and dumped 40 rounds into the horse's skulls but they're invincible. I tried to destroy the cargo in the back by shooting it but it didn't work. I didnt have TNT at the time or else I would of tried blowing it up but I doubt it would of worked

Callahan44
1 minute ago, Rooni said:

Yo how do you destroy people's wagons without driving them into a river. I tried to destroy this guy's caravan and we were no where near any water, so I threw 7 throwing knives into the horses driving the wagons and dumped 40 rounds into the horse's skulls but they're invincible. I tried to destroy the cargo in the back by shooting it but it didn't work. I didnt have TNT at the time or else I would of tried blowing it up but I doubt it would of worked

Dynamite worked fine for me.

Rithrius
3 minutes ago, Rooni said:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Luckily there was a river right next to me, but i tried a ton of other things before that too. Damn horse took 10 bullets to the head and didn't even flinch.

And dynamite isn't that common early game so, idk.

Edited by Rithrius

What is dignity
9 minutes ago, Rooni said:

Me and a couple randoms dumped our shotgun shells into it for like 30 seconds. That seemed to work. So either drive it into some water, excessive firepower, or TNT at the moment. And we didn't attack the horses we just shot up the cargo in the back to pieces.

Deadman2112
3 hours ago, Rithrius said:

Lol so you can give it out but not take it 

Classic 

Encouraged or not...

Did you learn nothing from the single player side of this game?

They say the education system is broken in this world but that's the wrong way to put it. I personally think the system is fine, what it comes down to is some people are just unreachable.

But experiments like this, oops I meant to say games like this are teaching something at least.

That thing is...

that most of the population is simply bad stock, and it's coming closer to the time when we need to hit the reset button 

Edited by Deadman2112

Lonely-Martin
46 minutes ago, Big Molio said:

Glad to see no BS points to warp this though, that I do like. I agree, as much as I'm no PvP expert, the game is what it is and folk that accuse of cheating or such are just being daft.

Still, not for all and it limits this game's potential.

Rithrius
1 minute ago, Deadman2112 said:

Lol so you can give it out but nit take it 

Classic 

Encouraged or not...

Did you learn nothing from the single player side of this game

They say the education system is broken in this world but that's the wrong way to put it. I personally think the system is fine, what it comes down to is some people are just unreachable.

But experiments like this, oops I meant games like this are teaching that most of the population is simply bad stock.

Did you even read my comment properly? Because the context from yours tells me you didn't.

Deadman2112
3 hours ago, Rithrius said:

Did you even read my comment properly? Because the context from yours tells me you didn't.

Yes. I did.

...And very well in fact.

You stated that you know it's wrong

...and then followed that up with a...

Ohhh I'll try to justify my actions with this...

Double talk is all that is

Politicians use that a lot

Edited by Deadman2112