3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Happy Hunter

Red Dead Online Praise Thread

TheSadisticOwl

The load times are an amazing improvement compared to GTAO. Getting into a mission, joining Showdown or Race, it's all really fast.

ytowntuneup
On 11/28/2018 at 8:12 PM, Quinn_flower said:

Hair moves I guess?

Uhh....kinda. If your character has a ponytail and you're on your horse flatout, the pony tail just goes straight behind, no waving or fluttering.

TheSadisticOwl

I really have to praise the soundtrack they put in online. I'm fairly sure some of the tracks aren't from singleplayer (and if they are, they're pretty heavily modified to fit into online) and they all sound fantastic. My favorite one is the one that plays in races that begins with someone playing a bongo, which then turns into this epic tense bass + violin fast paced track that goes on as the race progresses. It all fits really well.

Slam_Jones

The Bitch and Moan thread had me scared to try out online, but after logging over 12+ hours this weekend (and reaching rank 19) I can say that, much like GTAO, the complaints and griefing are, at least in my experience, heavily exaggerated.

Never once did someone snipe me or my horse on the way into town.  I had my horse stolen twice, sure, but I was immediately able to summon a new one in both cases.  90% of the time, I found myself unbothered by other players, and I often had long stretches of time where I didn't even see another player blip on my map.  I can count the number of open world PvP experiences that I had in 12 hours of playing on one hand, and those felt more fun than forced.  I did get lasso'd once, but it was easy enough to break out of.

Money has been decent, and I agree with the people who don't need to have everything in the first week.  With that in mind, money has been easy to come by.  One hour of hunting usually earned me about $100 or so.  The daily upkeep costs ($1 for camp, $0.75 per stable) are so laughably low that I cam't believe anyone could rightfully complain about them.  A two-star deer pelt will cover your costs for a day and have change to spare IIRC.  Hell, hunting a single Heron will cover your upkeep costs for several days (~$4 for three star corpse, plus $1.50 per feather... and they often drop 3 feathers).

Overall, it's been an enjoyable experience, and the reality has been far, far removed from what the B&M topic would have you believe.

(PS4 here if that matters)

Edited by Slam_Jones

KennyLoggins

It does seem like people heavily exaggerate, I too have been able to complete the online story twice, and hunt for a good few hours without being griefed at all. Maybe I'm just lucky? 

Ryan5252

According to my Samsung health I've slept 11 hours since Friday. 

I'd say, with the tiny little bit that's been opened up so far, this is going to be a heavily addictive game. 

AlienTwo

I see the greifing happen, but I see more often than not people are willing not to fight.  Game chat helps. as does not shooting first.  Obviously.

Callahan44

The stranger missions are great. Spent hours doing them and attacking other gangs that try to do them. Payout suck if course,but it a lot better then races or dm at least.

The best one yet was when we had to deliver post,each player got a bag and had to deliver 3 or 4 packages. My 2nd package had to be delivered to a farm where 2 other gangs where fighting. Killed many of both gangs,died a few times but i managed to deliver and get out of there. It was simply great. A few days ago i wouldnt have thought i will have that much fun with this beta. But still,we need more.

Also interupted the same type of mission and managed to deliver 2/3 of their packages while they were hunting our gang. Like i said,great fun.

Edited by Callahan44

Dr.Rosenthal

I know there is a lot of talk about the griefing, and while I was killed for no reason yesterday (no less, while I could have easily killed them first had I wanted to, but I stood down in order to try to be friendly) I also went fishing a couple times and had random players come and join me where I stood with absolutely no trouble at all. It was really peaceful and surprising to me because I’m used to GTAO where everyone is pretty much hostile always. But then I’m thinking, these two friendly players were probably just smart because we all surely made a lot more money from peacefully fishing side by side than we would have made killing each other. Had they attacked me, those fishing grounds would have been the least peaceful place on the map for a foreseeable time.

Fun story: the first guy who approached me, it was while I was stood by the Dakota River beneath some steep cliffedges, and the first sign that got my attention was that I heard someone scream, I checked the map and saw a blip heading towards me and I thought ”Ok, here we go.”, getting ready to fight. I put down the fishing rod and looked in his direction, which had very steep cliffs between us. Heard some more screaming, closer this time. Then all of a sudden he came flying from the skies, landing in some bushes in front of me ”Aaaah!! *thump*”, stood up looked at me, I waved and he waved back. Pulled out our fishing rods and continued fishing. 😁

Edited by Dr.Rosenthal

Marcinguy

No idea if I'm just lucky or what, but I've not had too many issues with griefers either. Worst that happened is a guy shot my horse and I also got stuck in Rhodes with at least 10 other players all fighting. Took a while to get out of that. I don't have a posse or anything to back me up so at first I was worried whenever a dot rolled up.  However, I've had a ton of friendly or non confrontational encounters and even big groups would ride past me without issue. I even had a guy join in to help me clear out a gang hideout. I was battling and he rode up and jumped into the fray and it was kind of cool that we were able to work together. Another time I was looking for a treasure and it happened to be next to a guy's camp. He just asked me what I'm doing and then actually helped look for the chest, LOL!

So, like I said, maybe I'm just lucky but I think most of the ganking action happens in the towns, especially when you spawn in. That being said, I've also not had many issues in towns either so far. Most people have just been going about their business. Anyway, the mode is a little barebones now but there is certainly huge potential for a great online game here. 

TheSadisticOwl

I've also hadn't had much issue with griefers in free roam. Most players who passed by me just kept on minding their own business. My favorite moment was hunting out in the Bayou where there's a lot of mud and two players in a posse rode past me with Varmint Rifles out. They slowed down to look at me, who was skinning a bird, and then kept going without doing anything.

I've only been forced into PVP outside of modes three times, the latest one being in New Austin where two chucklef*cks fresh out of GTA Online tried killing me while I was going to a post office, except they didn't know about the Repeater's accuracy going low after each shot and I dispatched them with ease. The other one was doing a Supply Wagon delivery to Tall Trees out of Blackwater where all I had to do was headshot someone before they finished cocking their gun. They later attacked the second wagon which I had left behind, but for some reason they didn't steal it. And the one before that was in Saint Denis when killed me a few times at the docks and I was too tired to give a sh*t and just wanted to join Showdown.

Those moments were few and very far in-between. I also tend to avoid going near players. Whenever someone is coming down a path I'm on, I go off the path and to the other direction. If they follow me, I know they're bad news, but not a single time someone has done that. People who are constantly complaining about getting griefed should try dodging and staying away from players instead of running up to them expecting a warm hug. You can easily dodge griefing in this game without passive mode and it's just called staying away and switching sessions.

psymin

honestly I'm pretty happy over all with how they have started rdo.

the economy, friend/crew blips and sessions need to be fixed but otherwise? oh and we need the trapper and L E G E N D A R Y  A N I M A L S. 

I'm so happy with Red Dead Online. 

greetings from the Paleto Bay Mayors Office!

tfRSSxK.jpg

Edited by psymin

Lonely-Martin

I'm glad they responded swiftly and show to be listening.

They need to impress me mind, but I'll give time. :)

Callahan44
2 minutes ago, psymin said:

honestly I'm pretty happy over all with how they have started rdo.

the economy, friend/crew blips and sessions need to be fixed but otherwise? oh and we need the trapper and L E G E N D A R Y  A N I M A L S. 

I'm so happy with Red Dead Online. 

greetings from the Paleto Bay Mayors Office!

tfRSSxK.jpg

I had to kill a wolf in a strangermission,it was basically like legendary animal hunt.

mr quick

Bow and arrow is great fun for me. I quite like the various deathmatch modes. 
e: Also loving the weapon balance. Finally a game where guns actually do damage 😛  

Edited by mr quick

Amy Vinewood

I was fishing out by Rhodes when a random player walks up and starts fishing too, then another person joined us.

We all fished there for at least one whole game day and not one shot was fired, nor did anyone take the opportunity to get three easy cheap kills.

Such a beautiful moment shared by three perfect strangers, who had no idea of the others intent at first.

Up until now I wasn't sure if you could be killed when fishing until I saw it happen in a video. Hasn't happened to me yet, although I have got mauled by a quite a few bears, lol

Edited by Amy Vinewood

ZOMars
On 12/3/2018 at 9:18 PM, TheSadisticOwl said:

I really have to praise the soundtrack they put in online. I'm fairly sure some of the tracks aren't from singleplayer (and if they are, they're pretty heavily modified to fit into online) and they all sound fantastic. 

Glad to hear some new ambient tracks.

Turn off HUD - wander & enjoy (boom headshot, another thread 😉)

mr quick

The ragdolls are great in online. It really looks like the characters are getting shot and killed, NPC's and other players alike. It's a detail, but it really makes the deathmatches look cool. 

I've many bad things to say about the game but at the end of the day, it's really fun to be a gunslinger on horseback while voicing with mates I grew up with. 

Happy Hunter

I actually thought the pay for deathmatches was okay - so this buff to them, it's a nice pay now. Hopefully stranger missions are worth doing as well now.

Also, I think we're getting 15 gold bars? I have 6 right now, so that's nice. Refund on the guns too, should help a lot.

mr quick

Disappointing that there's no option to eat your own dead skin, but otherwise a good game. 

AlienTwo

Finally get some meals at the saloon: Bong and a Blintz, Smoke and a Pancake, etc...

deadx23

Mfw I'm in a ONLINE session

WOgkX1U.gif

Edited by deadx23
I fix

ALifeOfMisery

Got to be honest, even though I've complained plenty and still want PvE/Invite lobbies, I'm getting into the game more now.

Now I've got most of the guns that I want and have upgraded them hunting in isolation in the Grizzlies is fun, and still profitable.

Stranger missions can be fun too with guys from here, definitely need to posse up with fellow forumers more.

Lonely-Martin

Won't lie, very hard to add here Happy, but must add Rhodes.

Finally got that 3rd MVP for my trophy, and all 3 wins came from the Rhodes race where we can pick off checkpoints in any order.

Just adds to my love of the place, such a beauty. :) 

Pepperjack

The og rdr ambient sound and music played on the main menu today. Ain't that a thing

DLKnives

I have always been anti-PvP and a single player kind of guy but I find online to be very addicting. I have about 50 hours in and have more stories about guys being nice than griefing - that's really only happened 3 times where the person was unrelenting. I can't wait for the coming improvements!

tonko
5 hours ago, Pepperjack said:

The og rdr ambient sound and music played on the main menu today. Ain't that a thing

I noticed that too. The OG RDR music is in the menu and it's great. They should add more OG music cause it's freaking awesome.

RedDeadNedKelly

Had an absolute blast over the weekend doing stranger missions in a posse of four. Had other posses coming from all over to try and stop us, we were peeling off from the objective and setting up ambushes for the chasers.

Also got an armoured stagecoach from one mission and went tearing around the map for a while with all four members hanging off the sides.

Once that got boring, one mate left the posse and sat in the stage and the other three unloaded at him with everything we had available.

Finally got to him with dynamite but because I placed it on the back it didn’t kill the horses. We then went tearing around the map again in a smoking, blown apart, once armoured stage.

Good times.

Revoemag

I love the fact that we can sit on most chairs in the game... something ive wanted since gtao..

Now we just need a lean on wall