Quantcast
Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Gameplay
      3. Missions
      4. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Gameplay
      2. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      3. Help & Support
      4. Frontier Pursuits
    1. Crews & Posses

      1. Recruitment
    2. Events

    1. GTA Online

      1. Diamond Casino & Resort
      2. DLC
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Grand Theft Auto Series

    3. GTA 6

    4. GTA V

      1. PC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    5. GTA IV

      1. Episodes from Liberty City
      2. Multiplayer
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
      5. GTA IV Mods
    6. GTA Chinatown Wars

    7. GTA Vice City Stories

    8. GTA Liberty City Stories

    9. GTA San Andreas

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA SA Mods
    10. GTA Vice City

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA VC Mods
    11. GTA III

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
      3. GTA III Mods
    12. Top Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    13. Wiki

      1. Merchandising
    1. GTA Modding

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    3. Featured Mods

      1. DYOM
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Red Dead Redemption

    2. Rockstar Games

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Programming
      5. Movies & TV
      6. Music
      7. Sports
      8. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

    2. Forum Support

    3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Journey_95

[RDR2 spoilers] What do you think about the epilogue?

Recommended Posts

Journey_95

I think it's great. Yeah Arthur overall is an even better character than John but at the same time people are downplaying John and giving him the Jack treatment which is silly imho. John Marston is still a fantastic character and one of the best protagonists of the last gen.

 

I really enjoyed playing as him again, it makes for a great set up for RDR1 (makes me want to replay the game again) and gets you even more invested in his Journey. Not to mention visiting the graves or completing the remaining stranger's missions (new dialogue here, if you visit them with Arthur already).

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin

I'm home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rykjeklut

Meh. I get what they were going for, but...meh.

 

Would much rather have gotten the chance to explore NA and WE with Arthur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest176525326

I liked the epilogues, playing as John is also great(apart from not being able to swim). If I had to choose one, I would have still preferred to play as Arthur. 

 

Some me of the missions were really short though, like that 20 second one where they had to pull the old house down with horses.

 

All in all it was good to be away from the useless Dutch and his silly gang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Priyantha1

I really enjoyed it! To build the house and work on the ranch we know from RDR1 was amazing. Exploring New Austin was cool but I soon got bored and went back to my save file from chapter 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
28 minutes ago, Rykjeklut said:

Meh. I get what they were going for, but...meh.

 

Would much rather have gotten the chance to explore NA and WE with Arthur.

Would have been interesting but then they would need to add another Chapter with the gang..and the story is already really long

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25

I think it's a bit longer than it should be. I counted 10 filler missions in the entire game and 6 of them were from the epilogue. It should have been shorter because it sometimes makes you wonder who was the most important protagonist in the game? It feels like a bit of an injustice to Arthur's character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
59 minutes ago, TheSantader25 said:

I think it's a bit longer than it should be. I counted 10 filler missions in the entire game and 6 of them were from the epilogue. It should have been shorter because it sometimes makes you wonder who was the most important protagonist in the game? It feels like a bit of an injustice to Arthur's character. 

Thing is even Arthur's story at the end revolved around saving John so overall the latter is the more important protagonist of the series. It was longer than I expected but that was the case for the main story too, I didn't mind since I needed some time to get immersed in John's story again after Arthur's fantastic end. At first it felt weird af but slowly I got back the RDR1 feeling and enjoyed it (when the first shooting part happens and the classic RDR1 theme plays).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
22 minutes ago, Journey_95 said:

Thing is even Arthur's story at the end revolved around saving John so overall the latter is the more important protagonist of the series. It was longer than I expected but that was the case for the main story too, I didn't mind since I needed some time to get immersed in John's story again after Arthur's fantastic end. At first it felt weird af but slowly I got back the RDR1 feeling and enjoyed it (when the first shooting part happens and the classic RDR1 theme plays).

Still think it was longer than it should have been specially because Abigail is annoying as f*ck. An Arthur DLC would make this right for me. I need more time with Arthur. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rykjeklut
2 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

Would have been interesting but then they would need to add another Chapter with the gang..and the story is already really long

 

Not necessarily.

Another member on this forum, can't remember who, suggested a chapter in which Arthur goes to NA to try and help with his TB, as suggested by his doctor.

 

But then someone from the gang comes and begs him to come back, cue the last chapter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr.Rosenthal

I’m undecided tbh. At first it felt strange and I wanted (a moderately healthy, preferably) Arthur, but then while doing both epilogues and after that, it was kind of a nice nostalgia trip to control Marston, especially while exploring New Austin.

 

I’m good eitherway, really. They’re both incredible characters. But I’m starting up a new save to go for 100% game completion and this time I’ll take it really slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jje1000

It's a nice way of building continuity between RDR1 and 2, but it's a little too long and overly scripted. On top of that, the way the story ends can leave not a lot of motivation for players to continue playing, as nearly all of John's issues have been resolved. It's implied that you have try to be a good person, limiting the sort of gameplay that feels canon.

 

In my opinion, Epilogue 1 needed to be shorter, and Epilogue 2 needed to be more open.

  • Players should have gotten a smaller amount of money at the end- I know it's a slap in the face for players who lose Arthur's money, but it would add financial pressure for John to still be morally grey- he needs to earn money for the ranch, not be an adventurer without any sort of motivation. This will probably be one of the first things I'd try to edit once the PC modding becomes available- $500-2000 seems like a more reasonable amount of money to end up with.
  • Beecher's Hope needed to be less static, and feel more like the camp we all loved from chapters 2-3. The house-building montage was great, but I think that there needed to be an option to upgrade the camp with the assorted side buildings and decorations- it would have provided a money sink towards the end of the game. I would even argue that a form of the ledger needed to come back, with ranch expenses providing another form of a money sink.
  • Charles and Sadie should have stuck around past the epilogue, with their departure implied rather than shown. Beecher's Hope simply feels too empty at the end. Additionally, if the gang member companion feature was ever reintroduced, it would have been nice to be able to have them tag along for adventures.
  • There needs to be more repeatable free-roam side jobs, like cattle herding, horse-breaking, nightwatch or even endless generic bounties for legal cash. On top of that, illegal side activities like proper train & bank robberies or even prize fighting need to be added.
  • There needed to be more side missions for John, as if you aim to do the most you can with Arthur, there's not a lot left with John.

 

Regardless, I can't let the perfect get in the way of the good, and the epilogue was a nice change of mood from the last few chapters.

 

Edited by jje1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meekail

It was good but I definitely think it could've been a few hours shorter than what it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bish0p2004

I was really excited at first and thought it was incredible.  Then I slowly realized that there is really not much to do at the ranch and New Austin, although beautiful to look at, is extremely boring.

1 hour ago, jje1000 said:

It's a nice way of building continuity between RDR1 and 2, but it's a little too long and overly scripted. On top of that, the way the story ends can leave not a lot of motivation for players to continue playing, as nearly all of John's issues have been resolved. It's implied that you have try to be a good person, limiting the sort of gameplay that feels canon.

 

In my opinion, Epilogue 1 needed to be shorter, and Epilogue 2 needed to be more open.

  • Players should have gotten a smaller amount of money at the end- I know it's a slap in the face for players who lose Arthur's money, but it would add financial pressure for John to still be morally grey- he needs to earn money for the ranch, not be an adventurer without any sort of motivation. This will probably be one of the first things I'd try to edit once the PC modding becomes available- $500-2000 seems like a more reasonable amount of money to end up with.
  • Beecher's Hope needed to be less static, and feel more like the camp we all loved from chapters 2-3. The house-building montage was great, but I think that there needed to be an option to upgrade the camp with the assorted side buildings and decorations- it would have provided a money sink towards the end of the game. I would even argue that a form of the ledger needed to come back, with ranch expenses providing another form of a money sink.
  • Charles and Sadie should have stuck around past the epilogue, with their departure implied rather than shown. Beecher's Hope simply feels too empty at the end. Additionally, if the gang member companion feature was ever reintroduced, it would have been nice to be able to have them tag along for adventures.
  • There needs to be more repeatable free-roam side jobs, like cattle herding, horse-breaking, nightwatch or even endless generic bounties for legal cash. On top of that, illegal side activities like proper train & bank robberies or even prize fighting need to be added.
  • There needed to be more side missions for John, as if you aim to do the most you can with Arthur, there's not a lot left with John.

 

Regardless, I can't let the perfect get in the way of the good, and the epilogue was a nice change of mood from the last few chapters.

 

 

You described everything I thought the epilogue would be based on the way the rest of the game was.  In a way, due to how detailed the game is, I'm surprised that Rockstar didn't include this stuff, but because I'm so used to the way Rockstar designs their games, I'm not surprised either at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Negan009
11 hours ago, Journey_95 said:

I think it's great. Yeah Arthur overall is an even better character than John but at the same time people are downplaying John and giving him the Jack treatment which is silly imho. John Marston is still a fantastic character and one of the best protagonists of the last gen.

 

The only reason John is getting the Jack treatment is because this is Arthurs story and we already played as John in RDR. 100% of people prefer to play as Arthur in RDR2 hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biira99

I loved Arthur's story, but I also like the epilogue with John. John really grew on me compared to first chapters. Epilogue was a very nice way to close some unfinished subplots. Also it was nice to see how some of the characters got a good ending (Mary-Beth, Tilly, Pearson). I enjoyed the home building as well, finally no more running. Though I have to say I keep coming back to the save at Clement's Point, mostly because it's a beautiful spot to fish and relax :)

 

Overall I'm happy that epilogue happened, gave me some positive feelings after the end of Chapter 6 (which I loved, but it was heavy load of emotions for me). There's no reason to not like it, I treat it a bit like it's RDR's EFLC, not part of main story, but a good addition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
6 hours ago, TheSantader25 said:

Still think it was longer than it should have been specially because Abigail is annoying as f*ck. An Arthur DLC would make this right for me. I need more time with Arthur. 

On that I agree, such a great character and I really hope we get more time with him with some DLC. Undead Nightmare 2 or something before RDR2's story would be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheSantader25
25 minutes ago, Journey_95 said:

On that I agree, such a great character and I really hope we get more time with him with some DLC. Undead Nightmare 2 or something before RDR2's story would be good

Screw Zombies. Arthur could look better as a Vampire... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
Just now, TheSantader25 said:

Screw Zombies. Arthur could look better as a Vampire... 

Yeah repeating the zombies theme would feel forced, meant a more supernatural fun DLC with Undead Nightmare 2 (that isn't canon) or something that adds to the overall story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
8 hours ago, MostWantedMVP said:

 

The only reason John is getting the Jack treatment is because this is Arthurs story and we already played as John in RDR. 100% of people prefer to play as Arthur in RDR2 hands down.

Difference is Arthur's story was over and ended perfectly. They could have just ended it with like 2 more missions and that's it (like RDR1's epilogue) and instead fleshed it out and properly set up RDR1 & gave us more side content. It's honestly better than a lot of stuff in RDR1 and adds to John's character more than the Mexico arc for an example. Not to mention his arc without it isn't really complete, this part makes him more like he was in the original game.  

10 hours ago, Meekail said:

It was good but I definitely think it could've been a few hours shorter than what it was

It could have but I'm glad it wasn't, feels almost like a DLC that is set between the two games and adds to John's arc in a meaningful way and more John Marston is never bad

Edited by Journey_95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
woggleman

This just shows how much people love Arthur. If it leaked before release that we would play as John at the end of the story people would have jumped for joy but they liked Arthur so much that they are sad to play as one of the most beloved protagonists of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lonely-Martin
10 hours ago, MostWantedMVP said:

 

The only reason John is getting the Jack treatment is because this is Arthurs story and we already played as John in RDR. 100% of people prefer to play as Arthur in RDR2 hands down.

Sorry, no. Me and John have a long history. :)

 

Love Arthur and the whole gang mind, but John and CJ from San An are my two dudes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cutter De Blanc

I didn't like it. I understood it, but I didn't like it. I did not want to play the game as John Marston during his rancher years, when he is trying to go straight. Y'know the whole marketing campaign with the slogan Outlaws for Life, and then at the end they make you play as the guy who stops being an outlaw at the end of the game, i'm like what the hell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Journey_95
4 hours ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

I didn't like it. I understood it, but I didn't like it. I did not want to play the game as John Marston during his rancher years, when he is trying to go straight. Y'know the whole marketing campaign with the slogan Outlaws for Life, and then at the end they make you play as the guy who stops being an outlaw at the end of the game, i'm like what the hell

Fair point but I think the "Outlaws for Life" part is how they all felt initially, especially Arthur but then later on he realized there are more important things and he helped John with that too ("Be loyal to what matters"). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RedDadRedemption

I love playing as john and having a family and dog  i can go home to  plus john isnt as annoying as arthur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.