4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Ghoffman9

Sniper Missions Are Annoying

Ghoffman9

The reason why I find them so annoying is that the game locks you into the scope, giving you tunnel vision, making it difficult to acquire targets as you gotta scan the whole area in the scope to find your targets. Normally if I had control I would put down the scope to scan the whole area to quickly acquire a new target. I then go back into the scope once I spot a new target and proceed to snipe like normal, but the game does not let you do that. I failed these missions numerous times cause I struggled to find where enemies were and those I had to protect ended up dieing numerous times cause I took too long. You need peripheral vision to find targets over a wide area, and you just cannot do that scoped in the whole time.

R*Phenomenon

This starts with the tobacco mission at the braithwates where you need your roling block, but you can just switch to another weapon like the springfield with scope and then just scope/no scope with d-pad to spot and kill them... i didnt think it was hard at all.

Ghoffman9
1 hour ago, R*Phenomenon said:

This starts with the tobacco mission at the braithwates where you need your roling block, but you can just switch to another weapon like the springfield with scope and then just scope/no scope with d-pad to spot and kill them... i didnt think it was hard at all.

No, there are some missions where they specifically make you use a sniper rifle and your scope is locked in. I would like to mention one such mission but I would be entering spoiler territory so I can't. All I can say is it intentionally swaps out one of your weapons for a Carcano rifle and you gotta cover a certain character as they make their way towards a certain spot. There are a few others like this where it makes you use a sniper rifle and you cannot put the scope down until a certain point is reached, then you progress as normal.

Jedster

Well, as far as I remember, there are like 3 missions like that tops... I had no problems with those missions what so ever and they are pretty simple - cover this guy or that guy, nothing too complicated.

Also you can see where are the bullets coming from as well as what direction is covered person looking... enemy direction obviously, and you always know where is that person going...

AdmiralJT

I didn't think they where too difficult, but I do not like them either. I don't like them because it takes control away from me when I'm playing. I should be able to play how I want, instead it is forcing me to use a specific weapon in a specific style. 

O.Z
20 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

I didn't think they where too difficult, but I do not like them either. I don't like them because it takes control away from me when I'm playing. I should be able to play how I want, instead it is forcing me to use a specific weapon in a specific style. 

Unfortunately RDR2 forces you to play how Rockstar wants you to play... more times than not. It’s one of the most linear games Rockstar has ever released imo.

I’m glad I finally finished the story last night, so now I can free roam around and do whatever I like, without any of those annoying cinematic cut scenes, gun changes, forcing you to play with scripted guns etc all that crap is gone now.

Edited by O.Z

Ghoffman9
22 hours ago, AdmiralJT said:

On 11/22/2018 at 5:53 AM, Jedster said:

Well, as far as I remember, there are like 3 missions like that tops... I had no problems with those missions what so ever and they are pretty simple - cover this guy or that guy, nothing too complicated.

Also you can see where are the bullets coming from as well as what direction is covered person looking... enemy direction obviously, and you always know where is that person going...

Its not hard when I actually see where the enemies are, it takes me longer finding enemies than it does landing a headshot and moving on to another target. In every Rockstar game, there were always a few missions that revolve around sniping, in all past games one could put down the scope whenever you need to so that you can see the entire area and spot enemies quicker. I do not know what compelled them to suddenly lock you into the scope after all these years, but it makes doing these missions very aggravating. You cannot always rely on seeing gunfire to find enemies, cause again your vision is very narrow and limiting. Bullets would have to be whizzing right past the scope for you to see and make a note of it. Its just not possible in a very wide area and enemies scattered all around.

SAS_Intruder

This was very frustrating for me as well. I finished all missions without failing and it was easy but lack of control is what bothered me. I should be able to switch between different view. 

Also, it is ever worse how game keeps asigning me random weapons that were not my pick. I don't like Mauser or Bolt rifle, so please, can you stop giving them to me even after I picked weapons I want to use? And don't start me on how every time you want to use custom ammo, you have to reload it again. 

I sometimes wish they invested more time into firearms than in horse balls and poop. 

AdmiralJT
13 minutes ago, SAS_Intruder said:

And don't start me on how every time you want to use custom ammo, you have to reload it again. 

I've been meaning to get rid of all my regular and high velocity ammo to see if it will load express by default. I haven't done it yet because I've got several hundred rounds of both and haven't felt like spending the time to just fire them all off.

Cutter De Blanc

Well how else are the O'Driscolls supposed to sneak up on you?

HockeyMike24

Wouldn't be a R* game without annoying sniper scope missions

Agreed.

There was this one mission that was a bit annoying:

The one where you save Abigail with Sadie and you need to cover Sadie, that was confusing as hell

Edited by anthony

Ghoffman9
7 hours ago, HockeyMike24 said:

Wouldn't be a R* game without annoying sniper scope missions

It wasn't an issue in any past Rockstar game, they were not annoying like they are now in RDR2, cause in all of them you could put the scope down at any time at will to get your bearings and find a new target quickly. This is the first time they ever locked you into the scope. They force you to be as tunnel visioned as a free to play, Gibus wearing, Team Fortess 2 sniper. I will compare RDR2 sniping missions to Gta 5, their previous game.

In Gta 5, you can put the scope down at will and on top of that your vision was barely even obscured by the black border, and you even had the assistance of the radar to pinpoint enemies while scoped in.

GTAV.PS4.1080P.233.jpg?width=640

They took all that away in RDR2, your vision is greatly obscured by the black border, you cannot put the scope down, and the radar is disabled while scoped in. Leaving you with nothing but waving the scope around haphazardly in an attempt to find targets. The only improvement in this game I find is that spamming is greatly penalized, rewarding accuracy and precision instead of how it is in Gta online where people just zig zag spamming the marksman rifle. Leaving true marksmen to truly shine in RDR2 online. I mention this mostly cause there may be sniping based missions in RDR2 online where these issues will possibly persist.

After another cutscenes, go with Sadie in search of the fugitive - Cortez - A Quick Favor for an Old Friend - Red Dead Redemption 2 Walkthrough - Epilogue Part 2 - Beechers Hope - Red Dead Redemption 2 Guide