3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Jedster

Hunting for perfect Squirrel pelt

Jedster

I've been hunting some satchel upgrades and god damn, I've had no big problem until this little piece of shait.

How the hell did you guys kill the squirrel? I've been trying this for 3 hours strait, it took me sweet time until I even found one because it's so small you can hardly even see her with eagle eye. I found a few of them but for the love of god I can't get close enough to get a headshot with small game arrows. I've tried to snipe them before they start to run but the aim dot cover whole animal so I can barely see it (I wouldn't if the dot was not red). 

They start running from me when I am 30 meters away and when I try to run close to them I can't get a head shot (they always turn their back to me) which means you have to hit it at least twice which means that the pelt is ruined. I am really looking forward to hunt perfect cougar pelt now, that thing makes my skin crawl... :D

Thanks for any advice you can give me. 

concolt

These have been the bain of my existence.  I managed to get a perfect one but some how lost it or replaced it with a perfect rabbit pelt.  My advice is cover scent, make sure your horses are far away, fortify or have full dead eye.  I tracked the little a-hole all over and used up my dead eye and most of my small game arrow inventory.  If you leave your horses behind and walk up small roads while crotching with a lot of trees around you will run into a lot of them.

ravynwolvf
22 minutes ago, Jedster said:

I've been hunting some satchel upgrades and god damn, I've had no big problem until this little piece of shait.

How the hell did you guys kill the squirrel? I've been trying this for 3 hours strait, it took me sweet time until I even found one because it's so small you can hardly even see her with eagle eye. I found a few of them but for the love of god I can't get close enough to get a headshot with small game arrows. I've tried to snipe them before they start to run but the aim dot cover whole animal so I can barely see it (I wouldn't if the dot was not red). 

They start running from me when I am 30 meters away and when I try to run close to them I can't get a head shot (they always turn their back to me) which means you have to hit it at least twice which means that the pelt is ruined. I am really looking forward to hunt perfect cougar pelt now, that thing makes my skin crawl... :D

My bad; I got squirrels and rabbits mixed up for a second. My condolences on having to hunt squirrels, though; took me hours to finally get one.

Edited by ravynwolvf

Psyperactive81
32 minutes ago, Jedster said:

Definitely use Cover scent and Herbivore bait, plenty of chewing tobacco and keep in mind that the Western Gray Squirrel is native to the forested regions of West Elizabeth and New Hanover, so that is you best bet. 

Leave your horse behind, put on the scent cover, drop some bait and crouch nearby. You will get some deer to approach too because of the bait, but eventually you will see squirrels popping up.

Somebody said that even a small bird carcass can be used as bait, though I personally cannot validate that point.

First Aim above the head before dropping your sights and drawing the bow to ensure you get a head shot

Jedster

The distance they start running away from you is rick-diculous, I didn't try to cover my scent but even deer's don't run away at that far...

I've left my horse in the camp when I went hunting so I don't think that scared them... :D 

Now I need a lot of feathers to make the arrows so I have to kill whole lot of birds just to make them... :facedesk:

2 minutes ago, Psyperactive81 said:

Definitely use Cover scent and Herbivore bait, plenty of chewing tobacco and keep in mind that the Western Gray Squirrel is native to the forested regions of West Elizabeth and New Hanover, so that is you best bet. 

Leave your horse behind, put on the scent cover, drop some bait and crouch nearby. You will get some deer to approach too because of the bait, but eventually you will see squirrels popping up.

Somebody said that even a small bird carcass can be used as bait, though I personally cannot validate that point.

First Aim above the head before dropping your sights and drawing the bow to ensure you get a head shot

Thank you, I will definitely try that... :)

Edited by Jedster

Psyperactive81
4 minutes ago, Jedster said:

Thank you, I will definitely try that... :)

Good luck mate, those critters are squirrely 😁

GusMcCree

Tip...a perfect bat im found in a destroyed cabin by a little lake 

Edited by GusMcCree

phipfwe76

Do you have the legendary buck trinket?

Having that means you can still get a perfect pelt without a head shot if you're using small game arrows. I actually think I got a few using the varmint rifle.

Jedster
10 minutes ago, phipfwe76 said:

Having that means you can still get a perfect pelt without a head shot if you're using small game arrows. I actually think I got a few using the varmint rifle.

hmmm interesting info, I don't but I can certainly get it... :) you need to get is something from the buck to fence and he will made it right? 

phipfwe76

Correct. All you need it the antler from the legendary buck. It claims to "increase the quality of pelts of skinned animals". I've found it to be a life saver when getting the parts for  the legend of the east satchel.

Jedster
3 minutes ago, phipfwe76 said:

Correct. All you need it the antler from the legendary buck. It claims to "increase the quality of pelts of skinned animals". I've found it to be a life saver when getting the parts for  the legend of the east satchel.

Thanks mate. :)

R*Phenomenon

Since i havent seen the right answer yet... dont use the varmint! wont work on squirels.. (at least not perfect)

Craft Small game arrows.. its the only and right way to get perfect squirel pelts. (works for a lot of small animals though). 

phipfwe76
16 minutes ago, R*Phenomenon said:

Since i havent seen the right answer yet... dont use the varmint! wont work on squirels.. (at least not perfect)

Craft Small game arrows.. its the only and right way to get perfect squirel pelts. (works for a lot of small animals though). 

I have gotten a prefect pelt from a squirrel using a varmint, but it has to be a head shot....I also have the legendary buck trinket. 

R*Phenomenon

41 minutes ago, phipfwe76 said:

I have gotten a prefect pelt from a squirrel using a varmint, but it has to be a head shot....I also have the legendary buck trinket. 

you are right i forgot to mention its indeed possible when you own the buck trinket.

Edited by R*Phenomenon

AdmiralJT

I must have just gotten lucky, but I managed to get perfect squirrels, rabbits, racoons and opossums from horseback while riding down the road. I got a perfect muskrat by kicking it as I was searching the swamps for a pristine alligator on foot.

BigHundy

Badger for me took way longer than the Squirrel.

I killed 14 Cougars before I found a 3 star one...

Jedster

Finally got it, Thank you all for tips and advices... it was a pain but in the end pretty satisfying. :D

I have used buck trinket and varmint and shot two squirrels, I was not sure if I headshoted first one and when I want to pick it up, it was only 2 stars, so I killed second one and I was sure that it was headshot this time. Still only 2 stars, I picked it up and want to give up, when I opened inventory one of them was perfect so I guess that trinket works once you pick up the pelt...

Now only Panther, Elk, Cougar and wolf and I am done with the satchels. :) 

Psyperactive81
7 hours ago, Jedster said:

Finally got it, Thank you all for tips and advices... it was a pain but in the end pretty satisfying. :D

I have used buck trinket and varmint and shot two squirrels, I was not sure if I headshoted first one and when I want to pick it up, it was only 2 stars, so I killed second one and I was sure that it was headshot this time. Still only 2 stars, I picked it up and want to give up, when I opened inventory one of them was perfect so I guess that trinket works once you pick up the pelt...

Now only Panther, Elk, Cougar and wolf and I am done with the satchels. :) 

Good job buddy, patience and perseverance is the secret

On 11/20/2018 at 8:01 AM, phipfwe76 said:

This is good information, I did not know this. The legendary Buck will be the first one I go after once I get back in a few weeks.

thanks for this

Tonesta

My experience is that, without the Buck Trinket, if you find a 3* animal but kill it 'poorly' so that it's only a 2* body - then you're going to get a good pelt/carcass when you skin it/pick it up.

When you have the Buck Trinket, some of those 2* bodies then still yield perfect pelts or carcasses. Which does make satchel/clothing hunting much, much easier.

ravynwolvf
On 11/20/2018 at 8:01 AM, phipfwe76 said:

So THAT'S why I started getting better pelts; makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

LeftTurnus

I was getting some perfect pelts using the Varmint Rifle even before I got the Buck trinket that helps.

Since the target is so small, aiming just means take a shot. There seems to be a 50/50 chance. The rate for me seemed to be about one in three being perfect squirrel pelts.

For whatever reason, and I have found this to occur on most animals in general, the less time aiming seemed to have a better chance at a perfect pelt. I have just snap shot at rabbits, deer, elk, and wound up with a perfect pelt. Seemed to be more RNG related than skill...

TexasOdysseus
On 11/20/2018 at 3:04 AM, GusMcCree said:

Tip...a perfect bat im found in a destroyed cabin by a little lake 

Do you know which one? 

I haven't been able to get a bat worth a dang, either. 

And squirrels have proven to be tough. To the OP's point--they run off before I get anywhere in range, whether camping, crouching, cover scent or not. Good tip about the herbivore bait--going to try that!

On 11/21/2018 at 9:25 AM, Tonesta said:

My experience is that, without the Buck Trinket, if you find a 3* animal but kill it 'poorly' so that it's only a 2* body - then you're going to get a good pelt/carcass when you skin it/pick it up.

When you have the Buck Trinket, some of those 2* bodies then still yield perfect pelts or carcasses. Which does make satchel/clothing hunting much, much easier.

I've noticed this too--an INSTANT improvement on what I thought were marginal shots on 3 star critters ended up being perfect. Iguanas on that island come immediately to mind, and turkeys too.

docholladay1976
On 11/25/2018 at 5:09 PM, TexasOdysseus said:

Do you know which one? 

I haven't been able to get a bat worth a dang, either. 

In that poisoned cave if you stand in the entrance bat's will fly in and drop dead, I've got 6 perfect bats that way. 

Edited by docholladay1976