3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Grotti Vigilante

What GTA V did better than GTA IV.

Official General

* Graphics and visual effects (except gun flash which IV still does much better)

* Weapon variety

* Car customization

* Storyline mission variety (despite the largely boring FIB stuff) 

* Map size

Len Lfc
On 11/17/2018 at 8:41 PM, Sleepwalking said:

6)Better driving physics, especially for motorcycles.

Personally, I thought TLaD had the best motorcycle handling. I'd take V over IV, anyday. But in V they felt 'too' arcadey. TLaD felt like a great balance.

JustRob
On 11/17/2018 at 6:00 PM, Grotti Vigilante said:

Now I don't know about you lot but to me it seems like GTA V isn't as well regarded as GTA IV these days, and I'm not sure if it's because of a genuine downgrade or because of a gaming trend where the latest release in a series is always bad until the next one comes along and suddenly it's gold that we thought was bronze. But either way I've heard a lot of people on the forums like GTA IV very much, and I can understand why. There are a lot of things it did better than GTA V such as the storyline, protagonists and ragdoll physics (seriously, who ever said "I don't want to be able to jump out of a car and bounce around half way down the road"?). But I feel that some of us may be forgetting the merits of GTA V in comparison, such as how the internet and phone has been expanded on a lot more, how the game feels more open and alive with how all three protagonist actually do things while you don't play them, how the driving is somewhat better, and how the map is much more diverse in terms of geography. So personally, what do you think GTA V did better than GTA IV? 

Not as well regarded? I mean GTAIV sold around 25 million copies and GTAV sold over 100 million. I think it's safe to say GTAV is better regarded than GTAIV.

With that out of the way, GTAV did pretty much everything better than GTAIV. Combat, more open world with more variation, better graphics, better systems, more cars, planes, parachutes, I can go on forever. The only thing it didn't (arguably) do better than GTAIV is story. I do personally love GTAV's story, but GTAIV's story was brilliant.

Grotti Vigilante
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JustRob said:

Not as well regarded? I mean GTAIV sold around 25 million copies and GTAV sold over 100 million. I think it's safe to say GTAV is better regarded than GTAIV.

The basis for the claim of well regarded is more in relation to the forums than the general gaming community.

With that out of the way, GTAV did pretty much everything better than GTAIV. Combat, more open world with more variation, better graphics, better systems, more cars, planes, parachutes, I can go on forever. The only thing it didn't (arguably) do better than GTAIV is story. I do personally love GTAV's story, but GTAIV's story was brilliant.

You must be the only person whose so far said that combat was better than in GTA IV. Everyone seems to dislike the combat in GTA V, including me. I reckon you might be able to get that post in the unpopular opinions thread as well as this one. You may just have a fun time debating with a few other members. ;) 

Edited by Grotti Vigilante

JustRob

Why? Melee combat in GTAIV feels awkward and weird. Countering is actually hard. Not to mention when having no weapon equipped you can't "aggress" anyone by targeting them, unlike in GTAV where you put up your fists and you can trigger a fight.

GKZ
7 hours ago, JustRob said:

Why? Melee combat in GTAIV feels awkward and weird. Countering is actually hard. Not to mention when having no weapon equipped you can't "aggress" anyone by targeting them, unlike in GTAV where you put up your fists and you can trigger a fight.

GTA IV combat is miles better than the sh*tty combat in V.

JustRob
1 minute ago, GKZ said:

No it's not lol

Len Lfc
On 3/10/2019 at 11:55 PM, GKZ said:

GTA V's combat is much more refined and solid. However, GTA IV's felt more chaotic. The weapons had a spread and needed to be controlled more. Load up GTA IV and fire an SMG at a car, then do the same in GTA V. IV has much bigger sparks flying around. IDK, just feels more 'fun' Really hard to explain.

BurnettVice

GTA V has better graphics and better handling on vehicles. I agree with previous criticisms about IV  that driving does feel like driving a boat lol. In V you can customize your vehicles and even your weapons. Also V has more variety when choosing weapons. Almost forgot V has more clothing options. V has a dynamic score made by talented artists. Nothing beats getting in a shootout while renditions of NY Memories or No Happy Endings is playing in the background. One more thing V has better heists than IV(even though it only one). I like that we can tackle a mission in different scenarios, especially in heists where you can do loud and dumb or go in smart. Being able to people to your crew to do heists was cool mechanic. Last but not least the switching mechanic between three characters, was a genius idea that paid off in the end. 

Equatecurl

Boat and helicopter handling. 

Edited by Equatecurl

Nik0 Bellic
20 hours ago, Equatecurl said:

Boat and helicopter handling. 

Hey easy there buddy, gta 4 had the best boat physics ever, you cant even tell they are boat or car physics, i want some respect for gta 4 here k?

TheSantader25

GTA 4 definitely has the most variety in boats. More than 100 different boats to use in the game. The best part is they can be used in land as well. 

Nik0 Bellic

@TheSantader25 The most realistic part is that the boats/cars also dont have any brakes

Sonicdude

For my money, I believe V excels when talking about the core GTA mechanics. Driving and Flying feels more responsive and tight, Gunplay feels much more fluent and is easier to get risky in, and the general look and feel of the game is just better than IV in my opinion. That being said, while I absolutely love the story, I do feel that IV did better in terms of suspense and climax. I also think that IV did a better job in world building. I'll stop there though, as V is still my favorite GTA and I think it just feels better than IV. 

Edited by Sonicdude

3Prcntr

Everything. Just my opinion...

Jack Lupino

Having quick save Option it's a huge time saving option in GTA V I can quickly take out phone and save the progress and continue from any point.

Instead of travelling all the way to safehouse to save my progress.

This is also useful if you want to repair a damaged vehicle for free you can reload the save and get new vehicle.

I wonder why this feature wasn't added in GTA IV or later expansions.

Edited by Jack Lupino

Sonicdude
14 minutes ago, Jack Lupino said:

Having quick save Option it's a huge time saving option in GTA V I can quickly take out phone and save the progress and continue from any point.

Instead of travelling all the way to safehouse to save my progress.

This is also useful if you want to repair a damaged vehicle for free you can reload the save and get new vehicle.

I wonder why this feature wasn't added in GTA IV or later expansions.

Fun Fact: You can repair vehicles even faster than that if you just switch to another character and back

Edited by Sonicdude

Jack Lupino
2 minutes ago, Sonicdude said:

Fun Fact: You can repair vehicles even faster than that if you just switch to another character and back

Thanks i didn't know about that I shall try it out 😁

GKZ

Nothing. Just my opinion...

eCola

I probably said it before, but to me, the rain in V feels better than IV. I also like how puddles stick to the ground for a while

TheSantader25

Boat mechanics in GTA V are far more realistic because of the waves. 

iiCriminnaaL 49

Cutscenes. As they had more cinematic looks, and were able to pause. I also liked how they were made in a way that doesn't make them feel separated from the in-game world, especially since they didn't use black screens no more.