3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

muvdafucupouttahere

So what's the deal with CJ being black?

muvdafucupouttahere

Not sure if folks are still complaining about this now, but back then, there were a handful of people complaining about this game just because they didn't wanted to play as a black guy, and I ask myself why is CJ's race such an issue to play around with? Since when did someone's race make another person so disappointed to play as that character? I never heard anybody complaining about playing as Tommy just because they weren't Italian-American like him. And can someone please point out one time in which some people were complaining about playing as someone who wasn't from the U.S.A.? Why should people get upset about playing as someone who's a different race than them?

lil weasel

I hope your just trolling.

It was clear in all the advertising, reviews, and box covers what the game was about.

Reameb
28 minutes ago, lil weasel said:

I hope your just trolling.

It was clear in all the advertising, reviews, and box covers what the game was about.

Sadly this is not trolling, people did complain about this back in the day, and is not uncommon for players to dislike or hate a game protagonist because race, gender, etc, something similar happened with Life is Strange 2 too.

Official General
9 hours ago, muvdafucupouttahere said:

Not sure if folks are still complaining about this now, but back then, there were a handful of people complaining about this game just because they didn't wanted to play as a black guy, and I ask myself why is CJ's race such an issue to play around with? Since when did someone's race make another person so disappointed to play as that character? I never heard anybody complaining about playing as Tommy just because they weren't Italian-American like him. And can someone please point out one time in which some people were complaining about playing as someone who wasn't from the U.S.A.? Why should people get upset about playing as someone who's a different race than them?

Not sure why you're even asking this question after all these years. 

Even if these people complained, so what ? It did not stop San Andreas from being the most commercially and critically popular and successful single GTA title in the entire series, that is STILL being heavily played by millions of GTA gamers to this day after FOURTEEN YEARS, and we are talking about SA fans of all races, ethnicities and nationalities here. 

Taking all of the above into consideration, at this point, why would you even care

Edited by Official General

TheSantader25

Unfortunately even to this day we have people who haven't accepted CJ as a respectable protagonist because of his race. 

watersgta3

Sadly, there are still people who think like this. And what else, there are even folks who want to make a mode to turn CJ white, whereas I have seen no video of Tommy and Claude getting modes that make them black. It's a shame how some people say they're upset they have to play as a black character, as if someone else's race should f*cking matter to begin with.

Official General
38 minutes ago, watersgta3 said:

Sadly, there are still people who think like this. And what else, there are even folks who want to make a mode to turn CJ white, whereas I have seen no video of Tommy and Claude getting modes that make them black. It's a shame how some people say they're upset they have to play as a black character, as if someone else's race should f*cking matter to begin with.

Its not that sad in this case. If they don't like it, nobody is forcing them to buy or play it. The GTA creators themselves stated in an interview they had a message for anyone having a race issue with CJ, and it was that they would not want those people buying GTA or any other Rockstar game anyway. 

In other words, leave them to it, SA did WAY more more than fine with it. 

TheSantader25
9 hours ago, Official General said:

Its not that sad in this case. If they don't like it, nobody is forcing them to buy or play it. The GTA creators themselves stated in an interview they had a message for anyone having a race issue with CJ, and it was that they would not want those people buying GTA or any other Rockstar game anyway. 

In other words, leave them to it, SA did WAY more more than fine with it. 

Not for the game's sake but It's sad to see how stupid a human can be. 

Grotti Vigilante

I've never heard anyone complain about CJ being black before, and I think I may well have been lucky to have not seen it, because it makes no sense. I mean Rockstar like to stick as close to real life when they can, and gang culture in Los Angeles usually consists of black street gangs. So if you're trying to be real about it, how can you go about making CJ white? It's nonsensical and shouldn't be up for discussion. I loved playing as CJ, and honestly the only time him being black actually mattered in the story itself is when he made it clear to Wu Zi Mu that he is black and not Chinese.  

gtafaninwest

There is a racist segment in the gaming community. I remember coming across a racist board a while back, some white "supremacists" enjoyed doing racist wastings ingame like SA, VC, and V.

Edited by gtafaninwest

Reyiz Kovan

deleted

Edited by Reyiz Kovan

D9fred95

When racists see CJ in a nutshell.

DirtCheap

Don't worry dude, he's secretly white.

He just painted himself so he could trick us.

Miamivicecity

The funny thing is I have never heard anyone complain about Tenpenny being black and he was technically the first black antagonist in the series. Regardless of what people said back in the day I've always found some people (as in some of his hardcore fans) to be so sensitive to criticism of the character they automatically play the race card.

"Oh you hate him? You racist". It's just as bad as the people who are openly racist. I have no doubt there are racists out there obviously, but from many years of being on this forum I also feel people tend to use it too much of a half hearted defense to try and deflect away from peoples' genuine criticisms of the character.

Lioshenka
On 11/17/2018 at 12:38 AM, muvdafucupouttahere said:

I wasn't super happy with CJ being black is because I like to be able to relate to the character. A black male living in a hood is far from what I am. I didn't not like CJ because he was black. I didn't like him because he wasn't white.

Likewise, although I liked Tommy initially (yes, because he was white and lived in an ordinary room), I quickly lost that feeling because of him being a raging psychopath.

I changed my mind about CJ later, but this was thanks to the incredible attention to details and the game design that made him fit the environment so well, that despite not being able to relate to the character one could immerse themselves into the game world as if you we him and watch the game through his eyes.

Claude on another hand, I loved from the beginning. Young-ish, white, semi-formal clothes, lives in a flat or a small house and doesn't talk much. Yes, that's me all right.

Lioshenka
On 11/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, watersgta3 said:

What's wrong with wanting to make CJ white? There are people who put a bloody 2010 Mitsubishis in the game, together with a bunch of mods. Clearly these people just want to play the game and enjoy it, even if messes up with the logic. You can take a horse to water, as they say. I played half of my VC as a naked Lara Croft. Does it make me prejudiced towards men? I played a considerable amount of time playing SA as a Soviet sailor. I hated playing GTA 4 as a Niko, poorly voiced by someone who's clearly has never set foot in Balkans - does it make me racist? I don't think so.

People need to chill the hell out and stop taking everything so seriously.

Edited by Lioshenka

Official General
14 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

The funny thing is I have never heard anyone complain about Tenpenny being black and he was technically the first black antagonist in the series. Regardless of what people said back in the day I've always found some people (as in some of his hardcore fans) to be so sensitive to criticism of the character they automatically play the race card.

"Oh you hate him? You racist". It's just as bad as the people who are openly racist. I have no doubt there are racists out there obviously, but from many years of being on this forum I also feel people tend to use it too much of a half hearted defense to try and deflect away from peoples' genuine criticisms of the character.

Not taking away your valid points here, but with all due respect the OP was not talking about people that either falsely claim the race card or overblow it. He's talking about and specifically referring to the actual racist gamers who made it clear they did not want to play as CJ simply because he is black. Re-directing the topic away from that does not really answer or address the OP's question. I stress I am not criticising your points on this specific subject, you have mentioned it before in other threads and in certain instances they do apply, but I don't really think it does here. These were people who simply did not want to play the game even before they played it, purely based on CJ being black, and that is who the OP refers too, not those who were the target of exaggerated claims of racism against CJ. 

Just putting in my two pence 

4 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

I wasn't super happy with CJ being black is because I like to be able to relate to the character. A black male living in a hood is far from what I am. I didn't not like CJ because he was black. I didn't like him because he wasn't white.

Likewise, although I liked Tommy initially (yes, because he was white and lived in an ordinary room), I quickly lost that feeling because of him being a raging psychopath.

I changed my mind about CJ later, but this was thanks to the incredible attention to details and the game design that made him fit the environment so well, that despite not being able to relate to the character one could immerse themselves into the game world as if you we him and watch the game through his eyes.

Claude on another hand, I loved from the beginning. Young-ish, white, semi-formal clothes, lives in a flat or a small house and doesn't talk much. Yes, that's me all right.

Basically you're admitting what the OP has stated. You're saying there was some element of racial bias that influenced your opinion on playing a black protagonist in SA, and changed your mind only until you realised how brilliant the game was. I will give you respect for admitting that part at least, we are all human and sometimes it takes certain life experiences to change our views or make us see our mistakes etc. 

But I am still baffled as to why you feel the feed to relate to a protagonist's race when playing a video game. And I really don't see why would expect CJ to be anything different in a video game based on LA street gangs in the 1990s, as this was the height of the explosion and expansion of LA-based black street gangs, the Crips and Bloods.  Playing as a white guy would not have made any sense whatsoever, and it would have ruined the theme, despite your race preferences. A Welsh female in a south central LA, gang-infested ghetto in the 1990s clearly don't look or feel right, but yet you'd have been happier with that ? Makes no sense at all. I mean the only other alternative was a Mexican-American Latino, of which I don't think you are, but even then you should still be able to the game with no issue. It leaves the only conclusion that at the time you had a problem playing as black character for reasons that revolved around race and nothing else. Hence why the OP is making his point. You really had no business playing the game in the first place, but like you said earlier your curiosity got the better of you and it grew on you, so fair enough. 

Grotti Vigilante
21 minutes ago, Lioshenka said:

What's wrong with wanting to make CJ white?

Because it makes no sense. The entire game is about a man who starts off as someone from a street gang in a parody of 1990s Los Angeles, and for the most part those gangs were black. It's just not at all realistic to try depict a white man in that situation in the same way it makes no sense to make Tommy Vercetti anything other than Italian-American since they make up the majority, if not all of the mobsters, and in the same way it makes no sense for Johnny Klebitz to be anything other than white because of bikers usually being white, in the same way it makes no sense for Huang Lee to be anything other than Chinese since he becomes the leader of the Liberty City Triads since, you guessed it, the Triads are Chinese. You see where I'm going with this? 

gtafaninwest
2 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Because it makes no sense. The entire game is about a man who starts off as someone from a street gang in a parody of 1990s Los Angeles, and for the most part those gangs were black. It's just not at all realistic to try depict a white man in that situation in the same way it makes no sense to make Tommy Vercetti anything other than Italian-American since they make up the majority, if not all of the mobsters, and in the same way it makes no sense for Johnny Klebitz to be anything other than white because of bikers usually being white, in the same way it makes no sense for Huang Lee to be anything other than Chinese since he becomes the leader of the Liberty City Triads since, you guessed it, the Triads are Chinese. You see where I'm going with this? 

Seems these types just want all game themes totally whitewashed. 

Grotti Vigilante
2 minutes ago, gtafaninwest said:

Seems these types just want all game themes totally whitewashed. 

Makes a nice change for me at least. Usually I'm complaining about white male characters being changed for the sake of diversity rather than creative purposes. Either way, CJ is up there as one of my favourite protagonists, and I never would've wanted him to be changed in any way that isn't within the game's customisation options.

Official General
3 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

Exactly this. I just don't get those people think like that with regards to the race of a protagonist that specifically fits in with a theme. For instance, Vice City's main theme was centrally based on the 1980s drug trafficking and organized crime in Miami which heavily involved Mafia (La Costra Nostra) and Latino drug cartels - nothing else but an Italian-American or Hispanic male protagonist would have been suited to the game. With San Andreas it was black street gangs like Crips and Bloods, so how anyone would have had a problem with CJ to me is incredibly stupid and baffling beyond belief, as anything else would have completely ruined the feel of the game. Like Dan Houser stated about SA in an interview with EDGE magazine :

" We would not expect anyone to have a problem playing as a black protagonist in SA, and anyone who does, we would not want buying or playing the game anyway ". 

TheSantader25

I mean one of the important reasons I play video games is because it helps me experience lifestyles and cultures I could never experience in real life. You don't have to relate to the protagonist. The important thing is "understanding" them. SA really made me interested in the 90s LA Ghetto culture and it's hardships. I could never have experienced such a thing the same way in a movie or by reading. Because in video games, you're in the middle of something. You're not an observer. 

Edited by TheSantader25

Big_Smiley
1 hour ago, TheSantader25 said:

SA really made me interested in the 90s LA Ghetto culture and it's hardships. I could never have experienced such a thing the same way in a movie or by reading. Because in video games, you're in the middle of something. You're not an observer

The same happened to a good friend of mine. Was never intrested in those type of crime hood type of movies but SA happily changed his mind once he finally played the story :^: And had no probelm of him being black whatsoever. We never problems with the black folks. They were doing thier own thing. But back In the days I would never have personally set foot in inglewood heading to Compton for various reasons. We had our own sh*t going down in Boyle Heighs.

Of course a movie nor a video game will never capture it 100%. In real life everything is vast different. R* only captured some of it in SA. Mabye plenty. Very little of it in V. I mean, sh*t still have my PTSD of police helicopters, lmao. How times have changed.

Miamivicecity
10 hours ago, Official General said:

Not taking away your valid points here, but with all due respect the OP was not talking about people that either falsely claim the race card or overblow it. He's talking about and specifically referring to the actual racist gamers who made it clear they did not want to play as CJ simply because he is black. Re-directing the topic away from that does not really answer or address the OP's question. I stress I am not criticising your points on this specific subject, you have mentioned it before in other threads and in certain instances they do apply, but I don't really think it does here. These were people who simply did not want to play the game even before they played it, purely based on CJ being black, and that is who the OP refers too, not those who were the target of exaggerated claims of racism against CJ. 

Just putting in my two pence 

I don't know because it feels like the idea of this thread is 14 years out of date. I could understand if we were still in 2004 or if it was still an ongoing issue, but honestly when was the last time you saw anyone say they don't like/wanted to play as CJ because of him being black? 

As I said racists exist obviously and there's nothing anyone can do about it, but the only reason I brought up my point is I believe it has more relevance now. Many people are in fact too quick to play the race card.

Lioshenka
11 hours ago, Official General said:

But I am still baffled as to why you feel the feed to relate to a protagonist's race when playing a video game. And I really don't see why would expect CJ to be anything different in a video game based on LA street gangs in the 1990s, as this was the height of the explosion and expansion of LA-based black street gangs, the Crips and Bloods.  Playing as a white guy would not have made any sense whatsoever, and it would have ruined the theme, despite your race preferences. A Welsh female in a south central LA, gang-infested ghetto in the 1990s clearly don't look or feel right, but yet you'd have been happier with that ? Makes no sense at all. I mean the only other alternative was a Mexican-American Latino, of which I don't think you are, but even then you should still be able to the game with no issue. It leaves the only conclusion that at the time you had a problem playing as black character for reasons that revolved around race and nothing else. Hence why the OP is making his point. You really had no business playing the game in the first place, but like you said earlier your curiosity got the better of you and it grew on you, so fair enough. 

Well, or course I am not going to like CJ being black, if I'm white and want to relate to a character.

Before I played SA I had no idea what the game was about, and no idea of any events that happened in Los Angeles, so the only way for me to judge to game was by watching Youtube videos and the screenshots. Once I got the game I couldn't care less about the story or the logic behind it. I just wanted to enjoy it. And as I said thanks to the game design I was able to do it despite not being able to relate to the character in the same was that I could to Claude; and it wasn't until later, much much later, that I realised the significance to the story of CJ being a black ghetto boy.

Playing the story as a white dude would make no sense, you're right, but neither does having car mods that put modern cars in it. It makes complete sense however, if you don't actually play the storyline  but just drive around, and I can see why people want to be a bloody anime character driving a 2016 Nissan. I will remind you, that I did half of Vice City as a naked Lara Croft. I didn't care about the story, all that Miami 80-ies theme, drugs etc and I wasn't being sexist. I didn't even know that word then. I just wanted boobies in my game.

And you misunderstood me - or maybe you intentionally only focus on the race issue ignoring the rest of the arguments. It wasn't just CJ's colour. It was also his family, his surrounding, the whole setting. It's not really what I'm about, his colour being only one of the things I didn't initially like.

I don't like anything about Niko - I don't like being an American pretending to be a Croatian/Serbian, I don't like living in a slum in a Little Odessa - does that make me a racist too? Or can you only be racist against the blacks?

For the same reason, if I was told that the next GTA character was French, Puerto-Rican, an 18-year old British chav, female, 15th century Spanish sailor, gay, crossdresser, Christian, a Labrador, blonde, disabled - my initial reaction would be be exactly the same, and not because I'm a horrible person you try to portray me as. Sometimes you just don't like things, and that's OK.

Don't try to find racism somewhere where there isn't any. It's like accusing a guy for being homophobic just because he doesn't want to have sex with a bloke.

Edited by Lioshenka

Lioshenka
11 hours ago, Grotti Vigilante said:

See my reply above - me, as many other people, didn't really care about the story. If you go to the GTA 4 section of this web-site you'll see people praising GTA 4's amazing storyline, and then along comes me or another person, and we'd be like meh, what story? I just want to fly a tractor over the desert.

And this is exactly the reason I wanted Tommy to be female, and would prefer Johnny/Huang to be a different ethnicity, complexion and age if I was to play as them. Fun > Realism, so if a 15 year old wants to replace the triads with laser-shooting aliens and the ballas with anime sword-wielding characters that doesn't automatically make them racists.

Edited by Lioshenka

TheSantader25

So a half naked Lara Croft is more relatable than CJ? 

Edited by TheSantader25

Official General
10 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

And you misunderstood me - or maybe you intentionally only focus on the race issue ignoring the rest of the arguments. It wasn't just CJ's colour. It was also his family, his surrounding, the whole setting. It's not really what I'm about, his colour being only one of the things I didn't initially 

Forgive me for centering the discussion around race, but unless I can't understand clear English (and English is my first and only language), the OP is about people not liking CJ because he is black, which is everything to do with race.

Once I got the game I couldn't care less about the story or the logic behind it. I just wanted to enjoy it. 

Great. That is what you really should have focused on in the first place, rather than having to relate to the protagonist based on race. 

Well, or course I am not going to like CJ being black, if I'm white and want to relate to a character.

So basically you've stated you don't like it when playing as a black character, it's in black and white. Does it make you racist ? NO. Does it leave your gaming mindset a lot to be desired and indicate you have a shallow attitude to gaming ? I'd say YES. 

Playing the story as a white dude would make no sense, you're right, but neither does having car mods that put modern cars in it. It makes complete sense however, if you don't actually play the storyline  but just drive around, and I can see why people want to be a bloody anime character driving a 2016 Nissan. I will remind you, that I did half of Vice City as a naked Lara Croft. I didn't care about the story, all that Miami 80-ies theme, drugs etc and I wasn't being sexist. I didn't even know that word then. I just wanted boobies in my game.

No problem at all, I have no issue with that. If you wanna use mods to play as a white character that is more relatable to you that's perfectly fine, because the game is modded to your preference, that's the whole essential point of mods, they are there to give you complete freedom to make changes to the game as you wish. However, mods do not count in this case though, we are talking about the original game in it's original form. 

I don't like anything about Niko - I don't like being an American pretending to be a Croatian/Serbian, I don't like living in a slum in a Little Odessa - does that make me a racist too? Or can you only be racist against the blacks?

Let's get something straight here  - I never once said you were racist. I don't know you personally to make that conclusion, and I would never make such claims about anyone unless I knew that was the case for sure. What I did say is having preferences for protagonists in GTA purely based on race rather than suitability to the theme and background of the game makes no sense and is silly, you'd be better off not playing the game at all. That is all I said. As for Niko, again yeah it makes you're objection to his ethnicity as a protagonist and the immigrant world he is based in very silly and nonsensical, considering Rockstar's aim was to present the story as a European immigrant criminal's experience of

the American Dream - of which was a real experience for the ancestors many of today's Americans of European heritage, and is still symbolic today for all newcomers to America. So an immigrant comes to America from Europe, and in the last few decades, the main immigrants coming to the USA from Europe come from the Eastern part of Europe, and the more recent organized crime groups in the USA are from Eastern Europe and live in Little Odessa-style communities - now if you did not like all that stuff, you simply did not have to play the game. You can always play as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider or as Nathan Drake in Uncharted and get your racial preferences for white Anglo-Saxon characters in games there. Or even RDR, where the protagonist is white too. Even better, stick to the Saints Row games where you can still play GTA-style but play with fully customisable characters to your complete preference - race, gender, the whole lot. But playing GTA and complaining about racial preferences not being met makes no sense, because GTA protagonists are structured and created according to the theme they represent and not personal preferences, especially ones such as race, it never has done. So complaining about it or stating your dislike for what is supposed to be there in the game is real stupid indeed, especially preferences to do with race. But anyway, no it don't make you racist, and I never said it did in the first place. 

Sometimes you just don't like things, and that's OK.

Of course it is ok. But yet again, it is real stupid when you don't like a product, but yet still insist on buying and using it, and then still complain that it is not to your preference, when changing it to your preference makes no sense in the first place.

Don't try to find racism somewhere where there isn't any. It's like accusing a guy for being homophobic just because he doesn't want to have sex with a bloke.

Not trying to find racism at all. You posted what you stated, and I responded to it as it I saw fit. If you think that's trying to find racism then all I can say is that was not my intended effect, but it certainly is not the case, and I don't believe I am anyway. 

not because I'm a horrible person you try to portray me as

Because I don't agree with your views on this does not mean I'm portraying you as a horrible person. You're protesting to too much, something people do when they feel a bit guilty of something. You're not racist as you already stated, so just relax and not jump to such conclusions ?

11 hours ago, Miamivicecity said:

I don't know because it feels like the idea of this thread is 14 years out of date. I could understand if we were still in 2004 or if it was still an ongoing issue, but honestly when was the last time you saw anyone say they don't like/wanted to play as CJ because of him being black? 

Brother, I totally agree with you. Look at my earlier comments, I even stated that this subject is not worth worrying about, because I've seen very few people on here at least say they don't like playing as CJ because he's black, except for a few Mafia-obsessed forum members that you'd probably remember yourself too, in discussions going back years. 

but the only reason I brought up my point is I believe it has more relevance now. Many people are in fact too quick to play the race card.

But the OP is just having a discussion, he's not pulling any card. You need to be careful, because when you're quick to accuse others wanting to discuss race of pulling the race card it could have the wrong effect and impression. I say just let people air their views and see if it makes any kind of sense or logic first before making such claims or accusations - and I say that for both sides. Let us just focus on this subject, not those who are quick to pull the race card, that's another matter altogether, but if you see anyone doing that, then sure it's only right you call them out - so far I've not seen it in this thread though, hence why I don't feel it is relevant here at this point. 

Lioshenka
11 hours ago, Official General said:

Forgive me for centering the discussion around race, but unless I can't understand clear English (and English is my first and only language), the OP is about people not liking CJ because he is black, which is everything to do with race.

Fair enough, all points taken and thanks for taking your time to respond.Apologies if I came out too agressive in my earlier message.

If OP's point was about people hating the game solely because of CJ's colour then for sure, that's not right. If you look at the game as a whole it makes no sense to make him white, and it's definitely not an excuse to demand a completely new story just because of his ethnicity. I disliked certain elements of some of the GTAs stories, but they were all mostly well written and put together and I certainly wouldn't say that one is more worthy then the other just because of the protagonists' race.

So basically you've stated you don't like it when playing as a black character, it's in black and white. Does it make you racist ? NO. Does it leave your gaming mindset a lot to be desired and indicate you have a shallow attitude to gaming ? I'd say YES. 

Just going to expand on this one a bit more, which may give a bit of an insight of why my approach to gaming may differ from that of majority of other players. Having been raised by an abusive NPD mother my life lacks a lot of things that most of people would take for granted. Playing the game and being able to immerse myself in the game world allows me to lead the life I was robbed of and do things I was never able to do: be out at night, have friends, travel to other places, succeed and get recognised or rewarded for that, wear and eat what I want, swim or ride a dirtbike. For me a game is a way to escape the reality and lead a fulfilling life where I am in charge of my actions rather than a mere entertainment tool.

This is why I like the games where the main character can look and act like I would in an alternate reality, or that provide me with a detailed visually rich world with a captivating story that literally makes me forget anything else - same goes with the films that I like to watch.

Gtaman_92

Most people till this day still don’t like CJ and downplay his character simply because of his race. Y’all can deny it all you want but there is a significant amount of racists out there that hates playing as a Black Protagonist.

Edited by Gtaman_92