2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

@JonnyTNT7 Exit Pursued certainly seems to be the key Jonny. I've just done a test with the minimum amount of missions possible to trigger the cutscene. As we know Social Call and Money Lending 1 - 2 must be done to make the letter appear in camp and Americans At Rest unlocks both of these missions. So I tried this:-

- Americans At Rest

- Money Lending And Other Sins 1 - 2

- Paying A Social Call

- < Letter arrives here >

- ( No cutscene from reading letter at this point )

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego

- CUTSCENE HAPPENS HERE WHEN READING LETTER

11 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

@JonnyTNT7 Exit Pursued certainly seems to be the key Jonny. I've just done a test with the minimum amount of missions possible to trigger the cutscene. As we know Social Call and Money Lending 1 - 2 must be done to make the letter appear in camp and Americans At Rest unlocks both of these missions. So I tried this:-

- Americans At Rest

- Money Lending And Other Sins 1 - 2

- Paying A Social Call

- < Letter arrives here >

- ( No cutscene from reading letter at this point )

- CUTSCENE HAPPENS HERE WHEN READING LETTER

Just curious, I take it you too have to do all three debts to make the cutscene appear? That’s interesting about Exit, I would never have guessed such an unrelated mission would impact it.

37 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Just curious, I take it you too have to do all three debts to make the cutscene appear? That’s interesting about Exit, I would never have guessed such an unrelated mission would impact it.

I always do all 3 debts so I'm not sure what would happen if I just did one but I'll try that out now.

Yep you're right it is very curious that Exit Pursued specifically causes it to trigger. I noticed something strange too - If you return with Hosea after Exit the letter temporarily disappears from Arthur's table and you have to leave camp and return to make it reappear. I'm wondering if this is just a pure bug or if indeed Exit Pursued is meant to be done before Mary's letter arrives so that would mean it would have to be done before Money Lending 1 - 2 AND/OR Social Call. I'm thinking Social Call coming later makes much more sense because it unlocks a string of missions i.e. Quiet Time and Blessed.

I'm trying to be open minded because it goes against my theory that Exit Pursued should be done later but I'm seeing if I can work it in earlier to see how it flows. Something like this:-

- Americans At Rest

- Who Is Not Without Sin

--------------------------------------------------------

- First Shall Be The Last

- [ Sean's Party ]

- Polite Society Valentine Style

- Money Lending and Other Sins 1 - 2

TO BE CONTINUED

That way all the "leads" that Hosea gave you and the missions that they directly unlock have been squared away and Arthur taking "a break from this place" like he says at the start of Exit makes sense. I just need to make sure I can afford a horse haha.

You could even technically swap around Polite Society and ML&OS 1 - 2 in the above perhaps.

@GokuDosGames Chapter 4:-

Spoiler

- The Joys Of Civilization
- Angelo Bronte A Man Of Honor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- < Fatherhood and Other Dreams 1 >
- < Help A Brother Out >
- < Fatherhood And Other Dreams 2 >
- < Uncle - Rustling >
- ( Camp until noon )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- No, No and Thrice No
- < Charles - Bank Robbery >
- ( Sell horse from No, No and Thrice No or keep it and sell your old one )
- < Brothers And Sisters One And All >
- < Lenny - Coach Robbery >
- < Pearson - Hunting >
- Gilded Cage
- American Fathers 1
- Fine Night of Debauchery
- < Micah - Coach Robbery >
- Horsemen Apocalypses
- Urban Pleasures
- American Fathers 2
- Country Pursuits
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 4 >
- Revenge is a Dish Best Eaten
- Banking The Old American Art

Edited by jimmyoneshot

11 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I always do all 3 debts so I'm not sure what would happen if I just did one but I'll try that out now.

Yep you're right it is very curious that Exit Pursued specifically causes it to trigger. I noticed something strange too - If you return with Hosea after Exit the letter temporarily disappears from Arthur's table and you have to leave camp and return to make it reappear. I'm wondering if this is just a pure bug or if indeed Exit Pursued is meant to be done before Mary's letter arrives so that would mean it would have to be done before Money Lending 1 - 2 AND/OR Social Call. I'm thinking Social Call coming later makes much more sense because it unlocks a string of missions i.e. Quiet Time and Blessed.

I'm trying to be open minded because it goes against my theory that Exit Pursued should be done later but I'm seeing if I can work it in earlier to see how it flows. Something like this:-

- Americans At Rest

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- [ Sean's Party ]

TO BE CONTINUED

That way all the "leads" that Hosea gave you and the missions that they directly unlock have been squared away and Arthur taking "a break from this place" like he says at the start of Exit makes sense. I just need to make sure I can afford a horse haha.

You could even technically swap around Polite Society and ML&OS 1 - 2 in the above perhaps.

Hide contents

- < Help A Brother Out >
- < Uncle - Rustling >
- ( Camp until noon )
- No, No and Thrice No
- < Pearson - Hunting >
- Gilded Cage
- American Fathers 1
- Horsemen Apocalypses
- Urban Pleasures
- American Fathers 2
- Country Pursuits

Thx for the list, also idk you noticed but everytime we discuss about exit Pursued place on the chapter we get closer and closer to what it actually is on the official guide, it is after social call, a quiet time but right before ML&OS III

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Thx for the list, also idk you noticed but everytime we discuss about exit Pursued place on the chapter we get closer and closer to what it actually is on the official guide, it is after social call, a quiet time but right before ML&OS III

When you do Paying a Social Call, the black shire horse you sell vanishes from camp. It reappears as soon as the mission is done if Exit has not been done yet. Don’t you think this suggests Exit should be completed first so there’s no disappearing and reappearing horse?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

No problem. It flows very well I think. If you notice any of those gang activity missions not appearing for you walk around camp a bit and see if the person involved is currently involved in a random camp encounter/dialogue at the camp fire or something like that. Usually triggering their encounter and then walking away from where their mission spot is causes them to spawn there.

Haha. The official guide was right all along

3 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

When you do Paying a Social Call, the black shire horse you sell vanishes from camp. It reappears as soon as the mission is done if Exit has not been done yet. Don’t you think this suggests Exit should be completed first so there’s no disappearing and reappearing horse?

Great point. I've always thought that too but headcanoned it away to be honest 😄

6 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

No problem. It flows very well I think. If you notice any of those gang activity missions not appearing for you walk around camp a bit and see if the person involved is currently involved in a random camp encounter/dialogue at the camp fire or something like that. Usually triggering their encounter and then walking away from where their mission spot is causes them to spawn there.

Haha. The official guide was right all along

Thx for the advice :D

if it wasn't for some certain missions being on some wrong places (or right places, we will never know I guess) I would follow the guide order of missions

6 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Great point. I've always thought that too but headcanoned it away to be honest 

I also headcanon hosea cleaning his gun for days and shouting Hey Arthur! Everytime I pass him lol

• Like 1

My problem with Exit is the crap horse breed choices you have. Either a pony like Morgan or a skittish Standardbred (it's quick but it's own shadow can spook it lol).

Yet what makes it more ridiculous is once the mission is finished they add a Hungarian half bred. Was it too hard for them to make that a choice in the mission? 

I usually get the Morgan and resell it and saddle up the TW until I have enough funds later in Chapter to buy a horse I want.

Is there any reminder in the game for us to join John in "The Sheep and the Goats"? Just like ones for "Americans At Rest", "The First Shall Be Last" etc..

Just now, Dan_1983 said:

My problem with Exit is the crap horse breed choices you have. Either a pony like Morgan or a skittish Standardbred (it's quick but it's own shadow can spook it lol).

Yet what makes it more ridiculous is once the mission is finished they add a Hungarian half bred. Was it too hard for them to make that a choice in the mission? 

I usually get the Morgan and resell it and saddle up the TW until I have enough funds later in Chapter to buy a horse I want.

I just go after the white arabian or buy my black thoroughbred from the special edition

2 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

I just go after the white arabian or buy my black thoroughbred from the special edition

White Arabian? That horse is horrible. Arthur looks ridiculous on it as it's small.

@jimmyoneshot: I’ve solved the Strauss cutscene. I’m 99% sure I know how it works.

Once you hand in the debts (Money Lending II), you have to wait around 48 hours before reading the letter. I’ve just tried (starting from scratch in chapter 2):

• Americans At Rest
  • Money Lending I & II
  • Paying a Social Call
  • NO CUTSCENE

Then I tried

• Americans at Rest
  • Money Lending I & II
  • Paying a Social Call
  • Sleep until night
  • Sleep until noon
  • CUTSCENE

I didn’t have to do Exit for the cutscene to appear, which proves no special missions must be completed for it to appear. All you have to do is meet the requirements for the letter and wait 48 hours after completing Money Lending II. The reason Exit was working for you is that it lasts two days anyway.

So while Exit isn’t necessary for it to appear, I still think it comes before Social Call (and by extension the letter and money lending threads) due to the horse I mentioned before.

Edited by JonnyTNT7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

I think the Standardbred is the one that they intended us to get during this mission because the cutscene that occurs straight after the buying of the horse is designed for that size of horse. The Morgan shrinks down to its usual size straight after the cutscene finishes. I made these 2 videos to illustrate it. Check it out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v44VOuQhns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-09PSQ_kM8

1 minute ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

@jimmyoneshot: I’ve solved the Strauss cutscene. I’m 99% sure I know how it works.

Once you hand in the debts (Money Lending II), you have to wait around 48 hours before reading the letter. I’ve just tried (starting from scratch in chapter 2):

• Americans At Rest
  • Money Lending I & II
  • Paying a Social Call
  • NO CUTSCENE

Then I tried

• Americans at Rest
  • Money Lending I & II
  • Paying a Social Call
  • Sleep until night
  • Sleep until noon
  • CUTSCENE

I didn’t have to do Exit for the cutscene to appear, which proves no special missions must be completed for it to appear. All you have to do is meet the requirements for the letter and wait 48 hours after completing Money Lending II. The reason Exit was working for you is that it lasts two days anyway.

So while Exit isn’t necessary for it to appear, I still think it comes before Social Call (and by extension the letter and money lending threads) due to the horse I mentioned before.

That's a great find mate well done. That would explain why the other missions weren't doing it. I'll double check that myself right now for you 👍

2 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I think the Standardbred is the one that they intended us to get during this mission because the cutscene that occurs straight after the buying of the horse is designed for that size of horse. The Morgan shrinks down to its usual size straight after the cutscene finishes. I made these 2 videos to illustrate it. Check it out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v44VOuQhns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-09PSQ_kM8

I skip it with the Morgan lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheJesus1996 said:

Is there any reminder in the game for us to join John in "The Sheep and the Goats"? Just like ones for "Americans At Rest", "The First Shall Be Last" etc..

Not really Jesus. John tells Arthur that he is going to get things started in Valentine at the end of Pouring Forth Oil 4 i.e. look for a lead and Arthur just turns up to find him. If you go back to camp after Pouring Forth Oil 4 Arthur can just mention the Train Robbery to Dutch but nothing else gets mentioned about John being in Valentine until after Sheep and The Goats is done.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

37 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

- Americans At Rest

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- [ Sean's Party ]

TO BE CONTINUED

Reveal hidden contents

- < Help A Brother Out >
- < Uncle - Rustling >
- ( Camp until noon )
- No, No and Thrice No
- < Pearson - Hunting >
- Gilded Cage
- American Fathers 1
- Horsemen Apocalypses
- Urban Pleasures
- American Fathers 2
- Country Pursuits

I was thinking about that thing of Pursued Ego making Mary's letter disappear, so... What if we do like that

-Who is not without a Sin?

-Americans at Rest

--------------------------------------------------

-First shall be Last

-(Sean's party)

--------------------------------------------------

-Money Lending and Other Sins I & II

-Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego (go back with Hosea)

---------------------------------------------------

-Paying a Social Call

-We loved Once and True I

-(Strauss cutscene)

-Money Lending and Other Sins III

-----------------------------------------------------

I just don't know where to fit Polite society now

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

I just don't know where to fit Polite society now

If you're gonna do that order Polite Society can fit in on it's own day after waking up after Sean' party at noon. That's what I do.

@JonnyTNT7 I can confirm what you said. I did At Rest, Social Call and ML&OS 1 - 2 (1 debt only) and then slept twice for as long as possible and the cutscene appeared after that.

Another important thing I've noticed before but it has just happened now is that even though Social Call and ML&OS 1 - 2 are required to make the letter actually appear, if you only do Social Call Grimshaw can still approach you after this and tell you that Mary Gillis has been about like she usually does even though the letter hasn't been unlocked yet.

This may indicate that Social Call definitely comes at some point after ML&OS 1 - 2 especially when you consider that Social Call unlocks a string of missions. I think camping out after Blessed before returning to camp like you suggested might be a good idea. That would explain why Grimshaw says John was "looking for" Arthur for PFO 1. He wouldn't be looking for Arthur if Arthur was in bed in camp.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

16 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

This may indicate that Social Call definitely comes at some point after ML&OS 1 - 2 especially when you consider that Social Call unlocks a string of missions. I think camping out after Blessed before returning to camp like you suggested might be a good idea. That would explain why Grimshaw says John was "looking for" Arthur for PFO 1. He wouldn't be looking for Arthur if Arthur was in bed in camp.

Interesting point about Social Call coming after Money Lending. I’ve always liked Exit after Sean’s party, then Social Call upon returning with Hosea the next day and Money Lending/Spines the day after that. But that leaves me with this behemoth of a day:

[LS] Money Lending and Other Sins I

[$] Wrobel

[LS] Money Lending and Other Sins II

<Grimshaw approaches about Spines of America>

[$] Chick Matthews

[$] Lilly Millet

<This doesn’t work perfectly since chasing down the witness at the end of Lilly’s debt collection blocks Spines from starting, and you have to ride away then double back. It could do with improvement>

[H] The Spines of America

<Day approach, then return with Hosea>

[D] A Quiet Time

<Getting arrested is probably better so you have a horse nearby>

I will try Exit after Sean’s party, then a clean sweep of the three debtors for Money Lending I and Social Call straight after (starting ~14-15:00 and finishing in the evening) and finally a companion activity in the morning of the next day (Javier’s robbery being the most likely), then Spines and finally A Quiet Time. This splits that huge single day into two less hectic days and leaves me with some time to kill. Hopefully it flows well.

25 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

If you're gonna do that order Polite Society can fit in on it's own day after waking up after Sean' party at noon. That's what I do.

@JonnyTNT7 I can confirm what you said. I did At Rest, Social Call and ML&OS 1 - 2 (1 debt only) and then slept twice for as long as possible and the cutscene appeared after that.

Another important thing I've noticed before but it has just happened now is that even though Social Call and ML&OS 1 - 2 are required to make the letter actually appear, if you only do Social Call Grimshaw can still approach you after this and tell you that Mary Gillis has been about like she usually does even though the letter hasn't been unlocked yet.

Thing is that why would arthur go with uncle to town to find anything out if he still have things to do? Hosea tells him about the money lending missions right on the start so why would he ignore them and pretend he has nothing else to do just to go to town to find anything out? That's why I do the money Lending missions before and then while arthur is going to get his horse to go after Downes, Hosea calls him and then Exit Pursued starts

5 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Thing is that why would arthur go with uncle to town to find anything out if he still have things to do? Hosea tells him about the money lending missions right on the start so why would he ignore them and pretend he has nothing else to do just to go to town to find anything out? That's why I do the money Lending missions before and then while arthur is going to get his horse to go after Downes, Hosea calls him and then Exit Pursued starts

That's why I would go for this mission in-between collecting debts, because Arthur would be angry at Uncle not lifting a finger at camp while he's working to get money.

(if it's even possible to start a main mission after giving a debt at camp without checking the ledger afterwards)

13 minutes ago, Alexlecj said:

That's why I would go for this mission in-between collecting debts, because Arthur would be angry at Uncle not lifting a finger at camp while he's working to get money.

(if it's even possible to start a main mission after giving a debt at camp without checking the ledger afterwards)

You can’t start a mission before handing in at least one debt, but you could collect a single debt, hand it in, do Polite Society, then go after the other two and hand those in.

Speaking of the ledger. I donated $25 to camp and started Strauss' debt collecting and returned with Wrobel's debt, which unlocked the ledger. So looking at the ledger, I noticed Lenny donated a Gold Pocket Watch since my $25, yet he is meant to be away scouting with Micah lol.

I haven't just seen this once. I've seen this a few times and I always do the Money Lending before A Quiet Time.

Edited by Dan_1983

4 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Speaking of the ledger. I donated $25 to camp and started Strauss' debt collecting and returned with Wrobel's debt, which unlocked the ledger. So looking at the ledger, I noticed Lenny donated a Gold Pocket Watch since my $25, yet he is meant to be away scouting with Micah lol.

I was going to say, I think you're not supposed to get Wrobel's debt until after "A Quiet Time" because the radar will point you in that direction when you try to go to Strawberry and Arthur hadn't been in that area yet. I think you're only supposed to get a debt when Arthur ends up in a specific area with one.

Also, I just found out that if you stop the witness while on your horse, in "Who is Not Without Sin," there's actually a cinematic view of Swanson walking on the tracks.

Edited by SoulSurj

3 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

I haven't just seen this once. I've seen this a few times and I always do the Money Lending before A Quiet Time.

That ledger is full of holes. For example, Micah can donate things while he is away in the mountains before American Pastoral Scene. The code probably just has a list of gang member’s names and items and randomly pull one of each, strings them together, and sticks it in the ledger. They should have coded out certain members while they are away.

2 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

I was going to say, I think you're not supposed to get Wrobel's debt until after "A Quiet Time" because the radar will point you in that direction when you try to go to Strawberry and Arthur hadn't been in that area yet. I think you're only supposed to get a debt when Arthur ends up in a specific area with one.

Also, I just found out that if you stop the witness while on your horse, in "Who is Not Without Sin," there's actually a cinematic view of Swanson walking on the tracks.

Wait WHAT? How I never thought about that lol, nice discovery tho

Main proof Americans at Rest is the real Valentine intro, while you're fighting on the saloon one of the guys will say Welcome to Valentine, more proof than that?

5 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

I think Money Lending must be completed before A Quiet Time shows up. Unless you mean do Money Lending first, but only get Lilly or Chick’s money and save Wrobel for later, which is a possibility.

4 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Wait WHAT? How I never thought about that lol, nice discovery tho

Main proof Americans at Rest is the real Valentine intro, while you're fighting on the saloon one of the guys will say Welcome to Valentine, more proof than that?

I always think of Polite Society and At Rest as two halves of the same mission - they must be a pair. Polite Society is the introduction to the town itself, the amenities, its layout etc. Americans At Rest focuses more on the people of Valentine. I just think that if you’re heading into Valentine to do At Rest, you might as well do Polite Society first since that drops you off just outside the town.

3 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

I think Money Lending must be completed before A Quiet Time shows up. Unless you mean do Money Lending first, but only get Lilly or Chick’s money and save Wrobel for later, which is a possibility.

I always think of Polite Society and At Rest as two halves of the same mission - they must be a pair. Polite Society is the introduction to the town itself, the amenities, its layout etc. Americans At Rest focuses more on the people of Valentine. I just think that if you’re heading into Valentine to do At Rest, you might as well do Polite Society first since that drops you off just outside the town.

Oh no, not that discussion about why Polite Society is not supposed to be the intro mission to Valentine, @jimmyoneshot pls help

Just now, JonnyTNT7 said:

Yep, that's exactly what I mean. Get Chick's before "Spines of America," stay at Emerald Ranch to get Lilly's after "Spines of America," and then get Wrobel's on your way to Strawberry from Valentine, after "A Quiet Time." I still need to test some stuff, though.