3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

18 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Here you go. Note that I also included the side missions in this Chapter because the Veteran and The Widow side missions are kind of part of Arthur's story because he talks about his regrets during The Veteran and has a coughing fit during The Widow. And The Course of True Love 4 and Of Men An Angels are also classed as optional story missions in the game so I put them in too :-

Hide contents

- Dear Uncle Tacitus
- Fleeting Joy
- Fork In The Road
- Icarus and Friends

------------------------------------------
- That's Murfree Country
- ( Sell/stable horse from Dear Uncle Tacitus at Van Horn Stables or keep it and sell/stable your old one )
- Visiting Hours
- Just A Social Call
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 1 >
- < The Course of True Love 4 (Read Letter) >
- Rage Unleashed
- Archaeology For Beginners
- < The Veteran 1 >
- Honor Amongst Thieves
- < Of Men and Angels >
- Goodbye Dear Friend
- (time seems to go overnight here until Arthur arrives at camp the next day)
- Fine Art of Conversation
- ( Camp until morning )
- < The Course of True Love 5 >
- Favored Sons
- King's Son
- Delights Of Van Horn
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 2 >
- < The Veteran 2 >
- Bridge To Nowhere
- ( Camp until morning )
- ( Cleet and Joe appear in camp here )
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - J John Weathers >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - Arthur Londonderry  >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 7 >
- < Do Not Seek Absolution 1 >
- < The Veteran 3 >
- < Do Not Seek Absolution 2 >
- Mrs Sadie Adler Widow 1
- Mrs Sadie Adler Widow 2
- < The Veteran 4 >
- ( Sell/stable your old horse at Van Horn Stables because you now have Buell )
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 3 >
- My Last Boy
- Our Best Selves
- Red Dead Redemption

Was taking another look and I had to ask, isn't That's Murfree Country part of Chapter 5?

Also, using Buell on the last mission gives that scene where the horse dies another meaning cuz you kinda of couldn't keep your promise to the buell's last owner, so yeah it's better to finish that mission using Buell

22 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

So here's a funny thing, if you do who's not without a sin, the game skips the time to 5pm, but if you do polite society it skips to 1pm, and Americans at Rest right after skips it to 3/4pm and then who's not without a sin fits on the 5pm thing

That's because "Polite Society Valentine Style" and "Americans at Rest" usually adjust time based on the in-game clock, while "Who is Not Without Sin" sets the in-game clock to 5pm and pauses it. If you start "Americans at Rest" first you can play it in the morning. The reason I usually don't is because "Who is Not Without Sin" doesn't really fit after it in the story and I don't think it makes sense for the gang to be going out for a drink that early in the day, since Dutch had a whole speech about everyone working to make more money. It also starts raining, during that mission, but the second you leave town the weather changes back to clear skies.

1 minute ago, SoulSurj said:

That's because "Polite Society Valentine Style" and "Americans at Rest" usually adjust time based on the in-game clock, while "Who is Not Without Sin" sets the in-game clock to 5pm and pauses it. If you start "Americans at Rest" first you can play it in the morning. The reason I usually don't is because "Who is Not Without Sin" doesn't really fit after it in the story and I don't think it makes sense for the gang to be going out for a drink that early in the day, since Dutch had a whole speech about everyone working to make more money. It also starts raining, during that mission, but the second you leave town the weather changes back to clear skies.

I always see Americans at Rest as an evening/night mission, so I always go to Flatneck Station to get the reverend first so the time skips to 5pm

What do you guys think to be the closest possible to have a canon John on epilogue? What haircut and beard styles?

1 hour ago, GokuDosGames said:

Was taking another look and I had to ask, isn't That's Murfree Country part of Chapter 5?

Also, using Buell on the last mission gives that scene where the horse dies another meaning cuz you kinda of couldn't keep your promise to the buell's last owner, so yeah it's better to finish that mission using Buell

Ye I put it in there because there are some missions that can overlap from 5 into 6. It feels to me like after returning from Guarma is the start of Chapter 6 even though it isn't if that makes sense ha.

Yep I agree. Arthur is kind of given horses throughout the game that he can switch to such as the one he buys with Hosea in Exit Pursued, the one during No, No and Thrice No and the one during Dear Uncle Tacitus. John has Old Boy right from Chapter 2 to the end of the game and doesn't seem as upset as Arthur. So for me it seems like we should either keep the same horse from Chapter 1 until the end or get Buell, both of which fit this cutscene the most I feel.

I think John was more concerned with his and Arthur's safety and escaping rather than Old Boy being killed.

Old Boy was a replacement for John's horse that was killed by wolves in Chapter 1, so maybe he didn't care for it as much. 

I always think the horse dying scene is much sadder with a horse you've had a long time, such as the TW you get in Chapter 1, or a horse you buy in Chapter 2.

I save Buell for John so he lives on. 

49 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

What do you guys think to be the closest possible to have a canon John on epilogue? What haircut and beard styles?

Length 7 hair, length 2 facial hair. That's how I have him.

Edited by Dan_1983

10 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Length 7 hair, length 2 facial hair. That's how I have him.

Tried it, facial hair is ok but hair I left on lenght 6, john's hair stops on his neck, not after his shoulders

4 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

You know... the more I think about it the more I feel like "Polite Society Valentine Style" should take place after "Money Lending and Other Sins." If you look at "Polite Society Valentine Style," from a story perspective, it's almost like the start of a new chapter.  Hosea tells Arthur to complete 3 jobs at the start of chapter 2, which he doesn't finish until after he's done with "Money Lending and Other Sins," so it wouldn't make sense for the story to add the train heist and saving Micah that early.  I haven't tried it out yet, but let me know what you think of a new list I've been working on...

Who is Not without Sin
Americans at Rest
The First Shall be Last
Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego
Money Lending and Other Sins I-II
Spines of America (Day)

Money Lending and Other Sins II-III
Polite Society, Valentine Style
Paying a Social Call
We Loved Once and True I-III
A Quiet Time
Blessed are the Meek
Pouring Forth Oil I-II
An American Pastoral Scene
Pouring Forth Oil III 
A Fisher of Men
Pouring Forth Oil IV
The Sheep and the Goats
A Strange Kindness

Looking at it again, I think I'd alternate debt/mission/debt/mission/debt after the completion of Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego.

Mr. Wróbel

Polite Society, Valentine Style (that Mary-Beth quote worries me too much haha)

Good, Honest, Snake Oil

-skip a day-

Hunting with Charles

Lilly Millet

-that's where I assume Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch-

Paying a Social Call (only because you may vaguely reference Thomas Downes when speaking with Bill during the ride on horseback)

Chick Matthews

-you recover all debts, Strauss tells you about Downes but Grimshaw also tells you about Hosea-

Spines of America

Money Lending and Other Sins III

19 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Tried it, facial hair is ok but hair I left on lenght 6, john's hair stops on his neck, not after his shoulders

It's weird seeing John at the start of the epilogue with short hair.

Here's a couple of unpopular opinions I'm thinking about now :-

I think John is the one who got the oil wagon during Pouring Forth Oil 2 and Arthur forgot

I've only just thought about this fully for the first time but if you check out the ending of Pouring Forth Oil 2 Arthur releases the horses. Then later on when he gets there in Pouring Forth Oil 4 the same horses are back and are attached to the wagon. Also notice how Arthur is checking out the wagon during the opening cutscene in Pouring Forth Iil 4. He seems to be really impressed and is giving it a good look over like it is the first time he has seen it. This could be headcanoned away as a plot hole/mistake or by saying that Sean bought some Shires from the nearby stable or something or that Arthur is just making sure the wagon is ready for the mission but it is still very interesting I think. John couldn't have done it because he turns up after Sean.

Also note that the actual mission to steal the wagon is a very weak mission. It is like an afterthought with no story elements to it whatsoever. You either just run in grab the wagon and ride out getting shot to bits as you do OR use some gamey method like shooting an error in there to make the wagon leave the compound which the guards would obviously see realistically OR wait until it goes to Valentine and this is even glitched sometimes if you start the mission too early in which case the wagon doesn't move.

It is important to note that to trigger Pouring Forth Oil 1 you need to have completed 1. Polite Society Valentine Style 2. First Shall Be The Last and 3. Read the letter from Mary for We Loved Once and True. It is the 3rd part that I'm interested in because I think there must be a reason for that story wise and I think the reason is that Arthur would get distracted from the Oil Wagon by helping out Mary.

Here's another thing - Reading that letter causes Strauss to remind Arthur to go and collect the debt from Strauss. This got me thinking further:-

I think Arthur leaves the Thomas Downes debt until after Strauss reminds him to get it

This cutscene really shows how upset Arthur is about the Mary letter. So I think if you combine these 2 then basically:-

- Arthur reads the Mary letter and gets reminded by Strauss to deal with Downes which he then does (Pouring Forth Oil 1 and We Loved Once and True 2 unlock here)

- John talks to Arthur about getting the oil wagon after informing Strauss about Downes

- Arthur visits Mary and saves Jamie which causes John to go and get the wagon

- John tells Arthur that he got the wagon because Arthur forgot

I just need to test it in an order and see how it works out but I'm not fully sure how the Strauss cutscene where he reminds Arthur about Downes is triggered.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

10 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I just need to test it in an order and see how it works out but I'm not fully sure how the Strauss cutscene where he reminds Arthur about Downes is triggered.

For that Downes cutscene, have you tried reading Mary’s letter before doing Money Lending II i.e. before handing in the debts to the box? It’s the only thing I can think of, since I read the letter before confronting Downes but after handing in the debts and I’ve never seen it.

Interesting points about PFO as well. According to the guide, part II will skip if it is the only mission available - is this feasible? You would have to have closed off all of the available story arcs, and complete PFO I straight after Blessed Are The Meek I think, before the 12 hour wait for AAPS is up.

Edited by JonnyTNT7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I think John is the one who got the oil wagon during Pouring Forth Oil 2 and Arthur forgot

I've only just thought about this fully for the first time but if you check out the ending of Pouring Forth Oil 2 Arthur releases the horses. Then later on when he gets there in Pouring Forth Oil 4 the same horses are back and are attached to the wagon. Also notice how Arthur is checking out the wagon during the opening cutscene in Pouring Forth Iil 4. He seems to be really impressed and is giving it a good look over like it is the first time he has seen it. This could be headcanoned away as a plot hole/mistake or by saying that Sean bought some Shires from the nearby stable or something or that Arthur is just making sure the wagon is ready for the mission but it is still very interesting I think. John couldn't have done it because he turns up after Sean.

Also note that the actual mission to steal the wagon is a very weak mission. It is like an afterthought with no story elements to it whatsoever. You either just run in grab the wagon and ride out getting shot to bits as you do OR use some gamey method like shooting an error in there to make the wagon leave the compound which the guards would obviously see realistically OR wait until it goes to Valentine and this is even glitched sometimes if you start the mission too early in which case the wagon doesn't move.

It is important to note that to trigger Pouring Forth Oil 1 you need to have completed 1. Polite Society Valentine Style 2. First Shall Be The Last and 3. Read the letter from Mary for We Loved Once and True. It is the 3rd part that I'm interested in because I think there must be a reason for that story wise and I think the reason is that Arthur would get distracted from the Oil Wagon by helping out Mary.

Here's another thing - Reading that letter causes Strauss to remind Arthur to go and collect the debt from Strauss. This got me thinking further:-

I think Arthur leaves the Thomas Downes debt until after Strauss reminds him to get it

This cutscene really shows how upset Arthur is about the Mary letter. So I think if you combine these 2 then basically:-

- Arthur reads the Mary letter and gets reminded by Strauss to deal with Downes which he then does (Pouring Forth Oil 1 and We Loved Once and True 2 unlock here)

- John talks to Arthur about getting the oil wagon after informing Strauss about Downes

Doesn't Mrs. Downes always show up with money, right after the cutscene for Pouring Forth Oil III? Wouldn't it take her longer to get that money than one day, the time between Pouring Forth Oil II and III? Unless, she was paid because her husband died I don't see how that would work. Then again... that might explain why Cornwall found the gang in Valentine and not at the oil factory.

1 minute ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

For that Downes cutscene, have you tried reading Mary’s letter before doing Money Lending II i.e. before handing in the debts to the box? It’s the only thing I can think of, since I read the letter before confronting Downes but after handing in the debts and I’ve never seen it.

Thanks mate. I quickly tried it yesterday but I did it with loads of missions still available and it didn't work. It is definitely after bringing back the debts because it is actually the Downes debt that Strauss reminds you of. I found it here. It's a pretty good cutscene to be fair:-

I'm gonna try it out now by doing all my usual missions but just leaving the Downes part and see what happens then. I'll let you know 👍

4 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Arthur is not admiring the wagon, but checking it to see if everything is good to go.

I though that too. But the horses being back after Arthur cutting them loose is suspect.

1 minute ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Thanks mate. I quickly tried it yesterday but I did it with loads of missions still available and it didn't work. It is definitely after bringing back the debts because it is actually the Downes debt that Strauss reminds you of. I found it here. It's a pretty good cutscene to be fair:-

I'm gonna try it out now by doing all my usual missions but just leaving the Downes part and see what happens then. I'll let you know 👍

Ah ok. I thought the cutscene was Strauss telling Arthur about Downes in the first place, not reminding him to collect. In that case definitely hand the debts in first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Ah ok. I thought the cutscene was Strauss telling Arthur about Downes in the first place, not reminding him to collect. In that case definitely hand the debts in first.

Ye true. It also goes back to your point the other day i.e. when is Arthur angry enough to go full on evil on Downes? It seems like this cutscene works well with that idea because Strauss is really whipping him up, telling him not to be gentle etc. I think it might fit well. Another thing I've always noticed is that when you get back from Money Lending 3 Downes is sitting there as if he is expecting Arthur to be back with the Downes debt soon as in like the same day as he sent him so if you do Money Lending 1 - 2 one day and this another day it flows well I think because Strauss again sends you off to get the debt.

14 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I though that too. But the horses being back after Arthur cutting them loose is suspect.

Not the same horses. The horses Arthur cuts loose are Suffolks. The horses the gang ride out on the wagon to the train with are either Belgian draft or shires. Easily recognized as the horses that Arthur cuts loose don't have a white mane, where as when they ride out one of them does.

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexlecj said:

Looking at it again, I think I'd alternate debt/mission/debt/mission/debt after the completion of Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego.

Mr. Wróbel

Polite Society, Valentine Style (that Mary-Beth quote worries me too much haha)

Good, Honest, Snake Oil

-skip a day-

Hunting with Charles

Lilly Millet

-that's where I assume Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch-

Paying a Social Call (only because you may vaguely reference Thomas Downes when speaking with Bill during the ride on horseback)

Chick Matthews

-you recover all debts, Strauss tells you about Downes but Grimshaw also tells you about Hosea-

Spines of America

Money Lending and Other Sins III

Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch the day after "Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego" ends. Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch to meet Hosea, which puts him in the area where he can collect Lilly's debt after "Spines of America." Chick Matthews should be collected before Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch because Hosea knows that Arthur's already been in that area, which he wouldn't know if he wasn't still at camp while Arthur was collecting debts. That's why I put two debts before and two debts after. I don't know what Mary-Beth quote you're referring to.

29 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Then why would rockstar create the mission? I also share your opinion like I said some messages ago but still, ain't we after the original order that would be on the script itself?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

Doesn't Mrs. Downes always show up with money, right after the cutscene for Pouring Forth Oil III? Wouldn't it take her longer to get that money than one day, the time between Pouring Forth Oil II and III? Unless, she was paid because her husband died I don't see how that would work. Then again... that might explain why Cornwall found the gang in Valentine and not at the oil factory.

Ye I usually get the Mrs Downes camp event that point too. But if John gets the wagon rather than Arthur a different cutscene plays in Pouring Forth Oil 3 so it'd be interesting to see if she shows up after that too. I'm thinking maybe something like this:-

- We Loved Once and True 1 (read the letter)

- Money Lending And Other Sins 3

------------------------------------------------------

- Pouring Forth Oil 1 (speak to John)

- We Loved Once and True 2 - 3 ( this will cause John to get the wagon and skip PFO 2 )

- ( Stay in hotel overnight )

------------------------------------------------------

- Pouring Forth Oil 3

etc

I just need to test it out but it looks decent I think

Also guys, here something that probably most of you won't agree, but I have on my mind when creating my orders, DONT TRY TO MAKE IT PERFECT, there will be plot holes, every movie, game, book has plot holes and rdr2 isn't an exception, and example is John going with sadie to new austin and if you try 100% you need to go to armadillo, tumbleweed, etc and then on rdr1 he says that never gone to those places

4 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Not the same horses. The horses Arthur cuts loose are suffolks. The horses the gang ride out on the wagon to the train with are shires.

You night be right. I'll check it out. Part of me thinks it might just be a plot hole/mistake but I'm gonna try it out as an alternative.

3 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

You night be right. I'll check it out. Part of me thinks it might just be a plot hole/mistake but I'm gonna try it out as an alternative.

It's not. We are meant to get the wagon as Arthur but I do think since it can be quite a difficult task unless you use gamey tactics like the bow or a throwing knife, the game will have mercy on us and let John get it lol.

Edited by Dan_1983

4 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Then why would rockstar create the mission? I also share your opinion like I said some messages ago but still, ain't we after the original order that would be on the script itself?

Ye that's true. In this case though they created 2 cutscenes for PF0 3 for if Arthur or John got the wagon. I'm more just experimenting at this point to see what I notice. Leaving these 2 missions is something I have very rarely played about with.

Plus it's the fault of everyone here for talking about Chapter 2 so much and making me think. I was up to Chapter 4 again on Friday now I'm back here again 😂

Ye that's true. In this case though they created 2 cutscenes for PF0 3 for if Arthur or John got the wagon. I'm more just experimenting at this point to see what I notice. Leaving these 2 missions is something I have very rarely played about with.

Plus it's the fault of everyone here for talking about Chapter 2 so much and making me think. I was up to Chapter 4 again on Friday now I'm back here again 😂

Yet another thing for you to test 😂 have you tried seeing if there is an alternate cutscene for PFO I? PFO II skips if it is the only mission available, but I have no idea why. Presumably something’s different in the cutscene, but I can’t find an example on YouTube.

• Like 1

I was actually going to bring up chapter 4 earlier but never got around to it. I've already gotten through 1,2,3, and 5 but need an idea about 4 and 6.

11 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch the day after "Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego" ends. Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch to meet Hosea, which puts him in the area where he can collect Lilly's debt after "Spines of America." Chick Matthews should be collected before Hosea goes to Emerald Ranch because Hosea knows that Arthur's already been in that area, which he wouldn't know if he wasn't still at camp while Arthur was collecting debts. That's why I put two debts before and two debts after. I don't know what Mary-Beth quote you're referring to.

Mary Beth will come up to Arthur in camp and tell him she was nearly killed back in town as she was caught stealing from a store. This can happen before Polite Society Valentine Style, which is clearly her first time in town.

5 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

We always revert back to Chapter 2 for a monthly disagreement on this thread lol.

1 minute ago, Dan_1983 said:

Mary Beth will come up to Arthur in camp and tell him she was nearly killed back in town as she was caught stealing from a store. This can happen before Polite Society Valentine Style, which is clearly her first time in town.

When does that happen? Are you sure she means Valentine and not Blackwater?

2 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

When does that happen? Are you sure she means Valentine and not Blackwater?

Early chapter 2.

4 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Yet another thing for you to test 😂 have you tried seeing if there is an alternate cutscene for PFO I? PFO II skips if it is the only mission available, but I have no idea why. Presumably something’s different in the cutscene, but I can’t find an example on YouTube.

Haha. I don't think Pouring Forth Oil 1 ever alters. I've seen these 2 cutscenes (John getting the oil wagon and Strauss reminding Arthur about Downes) before but haven't tried them out in ages. It skipped once for me because I got a haircut in Valentine 😂

Here is the John and the Oil wagon one though (3:00 mark):-

They really screwed up some camp encounters I think. I had the Mary-Beth dialogue the other day after going hunting for 2 minutes at the start of Chapter 2. Grimshaw always tells me that she has set up my bedroom for me in Chapter 4 too even though we've been there for a week. I've even had Lenny tell me about how he's sad because Sean is dead in Chapter 2.