2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

How exactly is kicking Uncle to wake him up harsh? He's a lazy revolting drunk old sod who thinks back pain is a rare tropical disease lol

4 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

How exactly is kicking Uncle to wake him up harsh? He's a lazy revolting drunk old sod who thinks back pain is a rare tropical disease lol

Ye but so am I and if someone kicked me at about 6am I wouldn't like it 😂

1 minute ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye but so am I and if someone kicked me at about 6am I wouldn't like it 😂

No one would but if the guy kicking you can break your neck like Arthur could, you'd hardly argue. Uncle has John wrapped around his little finger, where as with Arthur, there is a level of respect and fear from Uncle.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

No one would but if the guy kicking you can break your neck like Arthur could, you'd hardly argue. Uncle has John wrapped around his little finger, where as with Arthur, there is a level of respect and fear from Uncle.

Respect Uncle, Lumbago is caused by enormous amount of work and exercise, which means... He is red harlow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I've actually thought about this myself so I know what you mean. I think the reason it fits after Sean's party is:-

• A small detail but it will be noon if you stay up for the full party and sleep and the girls don't usually wake up until 7:30 am or 8am or so whereas at the start of Polite Society they are up and ready
  • Also there is the fact that Arthur kicks Uncle to wake him up which seems a bit harsh if you wake up in the morning. Of course Arthur likely only just woke up himself so it seems a bit hypocritical but Arthur is shown to be a hypocrite
  • Polite Society is a very short mission so if you start it at noon it wraps up the day nicely because it will likely finish around late afternoon at which point you can return to camp
  • In contrast Money Lending 1 - 3 takes a full day to do and I personally think these fit best over the course of 1 day. Even just doing 1 - 2 will take until about 3 or 4pm if you wake up and start first thing in the morning
  • Another small thing but when you do Money Lending on the way back from Emerald Ranch (Lilly Millet's bounty) there is almost always (99% of the time) the woman trapped under her horse who asks to be taken to Valentine. Now while I don't think that Polite Society is Arthur's first trip to Valentine I DO think that it is his second. I believe the first time he goes he enters via the left side hitches his horse by the stables, meets Thomas Downes, has the fight and then leaves town. And I think this is why Uncle points out Bounty missions during Polite Society. He is pointing out stuff that Arthur hasn't seen yet in his previous brief visit. The problem is that this woman being taken to Valentine takes you right past where Uncle directs you which I don't like.
  • Arthur and Uncle falling asleep during Polite Society suggests they are hungover
  • I think that Arthur's kind act in saving Tilly, Karen and Jimmy Brooks is meant to give us a good impression of him so we are then shocked the next day when he is beating up people for debt money

These are mostly just opinions though of course.

You know... the more I think about it the more I feel like "Polite Society Valentine Style" should take place after "Money Lending and Other Sins." If you look at "Polite Society Valentine Style," from a story perspective, it's almost like the start of a new chapter.  Hosea tells Arthur to complete 3 jobs at the start of chapter 2, which he doesn't finish until after he's done with "Money Lending and Other Sins," so it wouldn't make sense for the story to add the train heist and saving Micah that early.  I haven't tried it out yet, but let me know what you think of a new list I've been working on...

Who is Not without Sin
Americans at Rest
The First Shall be Last
Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego
Money Lending and Other Sins I-II
Spines of America (Day)

Money Lending and Other Sins II-III
Polite Society, Valentine Style
Paying a Social Call
We Loved Once and True I-III
A Quiet Time
Blessed are the Meek
Pouring Forth Oil I-II
An American Pastoral Scene
Pouring Forth Oil III 
A Fisher of Men
Pouring Forth Oil IV
The Sheep and the Goats
A Strange Kindness 

Edited by SoulSurj

Here is one more thing on this that I forgot to point out - Based on what Arthur and Strauss say during the start of Money Lending And Other Sins 3 Arthur HAS either MET and spoke to or at the very least HEARD Downes preaching in town before this mission. During the mission Strauss says "some farmer Preacher fellow in Valentine by the name of Downes" to which Arthur replies "That opinionated little do-gooder? Yeah I know the one. I certainly know the type" (19:47 mark here):-

https://youtu.be/pPo5MX-DRZI?t=1187

The only interaction that Arthur has with Downes in an actual story mission before this is during Americans At Rest where Downes breaks up the fight (3:37 mark here) :-

https://youtu.be/NZBE9-Mi5uM?t=217

However the fact that Arthur calls him an "opinionated little do-gooder" and says that he "certainly knows the type" strongly suggests he knows what Strauss is like i.e. he preaches and does charity work. The definition of opinionated is "having strong opinions that you feel free to express" i.e. preaching. This indicates Arthur must've met him while he is preaching either before or after the Tommy fight. You can only interact with Downes once in this way, not both times and then he disappears for good from Valentine. Here are the 2 sets of dialogue before and after the Tommy fight:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcAqXIQKqQ (Before fight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuf3a_oohW0 (After fight)

As you can see Arthur referring to him as an opinionated little do-gooder makes perfect sense after having either of these interactions with him or at least hearing him preach but not so much without this.

The reason this is important is if you do Polite Society first Strauss seems to glitch and not say anything like he usually does and just stands there silent throughout the mission and you can't interact with him. Plus he disappears after Polite Society and you have to return to Valentine another day to get him to reappear. Even doing Polite Society followed by Americans At Rest doesn't cause him to respawn that day. So to get this interaction you have to return to Valentine on another day before doing Money Lending Part 3.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

1 minute ago, SoulSurj said:

You know... the more I think about it the more I feel like "Polite Society Valentine Style" should take place after "Money Lending and Other Sins." If you look at "Polite Society Valentine Style," from a story perspective, it's almost like the start of a new chapter.  Hosea tells Arthur to complete 3 jobs at the start of chapter 2, which he doesn't finish until after he's done with "Money Lending and Other Sins," so it wouldn't make sense for the story to add the train heist and saving Micah that early.  I haven't tried it out yet, but let me know what you think of a new list I've been working on...

Who is Not without Sin
Americans at Rest
The First Shall be Last
Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego
Money Lending and Other Sins I-II
Spines of America (Day)

Money Lending and Other Sins III
Polite Society, Valentine Style
Paying a Social Call
We Loved Once and True I-III
A Quiet Time
Blessed are the Meek
Pouring Forth Oil I-II
An American Pastoral Scene
Pouring Forth Oil III 
A Fisher of Men
Pouring Forth Oil IV
The Sheep and the Goats
A Strange Kindness 

Oh sh*t yeah I forgot, hosea tells arthur about the loansharking, I'm thinking about changing polite society to after money lending and other sins, cuz arthur still have things to do and polite society must be done when he doesn't have any task anymore cuz then it would make sense to him go after some clues

2 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Here is one more thing on this that I forgot to point out - Based on what Arthur and Strauss say during the start of Money Lending And Other Sins 3 Arthur HAS either MET and spoke to or at the very least HEARD Downes preaching in town before this mission. During the mission Strauss says "some farmer Preacher fellow in Valentine by the name of Downes" to which Arthur replies "That opinionated little do-gooder? Yeah I know the one. I certainly know the type" (19:47 mark here):-

https://youtu.be/pPo5MX-DRZI?t=1187

The only interaction that Arthur has with Downes in an actual story mission before this is during Americans At Rest where Downes breaks up the fight (3:37 mark here) :-

https://youtu.be/NZBE9-Mi5uM?t=217

However the fact that Arthur calls him an "opinionated little do-gooder" and says that he "certainly knows the type" strongly suggests he knows what Strauss is like i.e. he preaches and does charity work. The definition of opinionated is "having strong opinions that you feel free to express" i.e. preaching. This indicates Arthur must've met him while he is preaching either before or after the Tommy fight. You can only interact with Downes once in this way, not both times and then he disappears for good from Valentine. Here are the 2 sets of dialogue before and after the Tommy fight:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcAqXIQKqQ (Before fight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuf3a_oohW0 (After fight)

As you can see Arthur referring to him as an opinionated little do-gooder makes perfect sense after having either of these interactions with him or at least hearing him preach but not so much without this.

The reason this is important is if you do Polite Society first Strauss seems to glitch and not say anything like he usually does and just stands there silent throughout the mission and you can't interact with him. Plus he disappears after Polite Society and you have to return to Valentine another day to get him to reappear. Even doing Polite Society followed by Americans At Rest doesn't cause him to respawn that day. So to get this interaction you have to return to Valentine on another day before doing Money Lending Part 3.

Downes actually speaks during polite society, he did two times for me, in one of them it was when I jumped from the wagon and the other was during the Jimmy Brooks cutscene

12 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Oh sh*t yeah I forgot, hosea tells arthur about the loansharking, I'm thinking about changing polite society to after money lending and other sins, cuz arthur still have things to do and polite society must be done when he doesn't have any task anymore cuz then it would make sense to him go after some clues

Downes actually speaks during polite society, he did two times for me, in one of them it was when I jumped from the wagon and the other was during the Jimmy Brooks cutscene

I think Polite Society is an in between type mission similar to the way we do Female Suffrage and Honest Mistake in Chapter 3. It is just one of those missions that gets placed in between other ones that Arthur has been told to do or had mentioned to him. But I think it is ok to place Money Lending 1 - 3 on a day before Polite Society if you want.

I've never seen him speak but if he did it was likely a one off that you seen because 99% of the time he is basically like this and is silent and not saying a word and then disappears when the mission ends (5:55) :-

https://youtu.be/-p9tKYJ8nPY?t=355

Edited by jimmyoneshot

3 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I think Polite Society is an in between type mission similar to the way we do Female Suffrage and Honest Mistake in Chapter 3. It is just one of those missions that gets placed in between other ones that Arthur has been told to do or had mentioned to him. But I think it is ok to place Money Lending 1 - 3 on a day before Polite Society if you want.

I've never seen him speak but if he did it was likely a one off that you seen because 99% of the time he is basically like this and is silent and not saying a word and then disappears when the mission ends (5:55) :-

https://youtu.be/-p9tKYJ8nPY?t=355

I'm sure he always speaks when I do polite society, I'll try to record next time I play the mission, btw non-related question but what do you think about this game's hdr?

No it's the first mission in Valentine and introduction to the town. The clue is in the mission name.

Proof?

"Ye you'll see real civilised" === 'Polite Society Valentine Style'. THAT is what the mission name refers to 😉

8 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Proof?

"Ye you'll see real civilised" === 'Polite Society Valentine Style'. THAT is what the mission name refers to 😉

Just a common theme throughout the game.

Polite Society Valentine Style - introduction to Valentine.

A New South - introduces us to Lemoyne properly and Rhodes.

The Joys of Civilisation - introduction to Saint Denis.

A New World - introduction to Guarma.

Clues are in the mission names.

3 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Americans at rest can also mean an introduction to Valentine cuz the gang is finally at rest after all that chaos, also chapter 2 is the only one with such a time skipping on the start, a couple of weeks have passed since chapter 1

2 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Americans at rest can also mean an introduction to Valentine cuz the gang is finally at rest after all that chaos, also chapter 2 is the only one with such a time skipping on the start, a couple of weeks have passed since chapter 1

But you don't get the introduction feel to Valentine like you do with Polite Society. You just waltz right in on your horse and go to the saloon.

If Polite Society Valentine Style isn't Arthur's first time in Valentine, why did Uncle still give him directions and show him the sheriff's office and the general store?

1 minute ago, Dan_1983 said:

Ye that's true for some chapters but Americans At Rest also kind of indicates the same thing because that is what they are now for the time being at least like Outlaws From The West in Chapter 1 which is also what the gang are. Because the gang is now finally resting after being in the mountains. I believe 'Polite Society Valentine Style' refers to the fact that the gang know what Valentine is like trouble wise because of the fight with Tommy earlier and then this mission title could indicate there is going to be more trouble. If I mention a rough area like the Bronx in America and say 'Polite Society Bronx Style' I am saying it because I know how rough the Bronx can be.

However I would say it's a good point about mission titles and it could be seen either way 👍

3 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye that's true for some chapters but Americans At Rest also kind of indicates the same thing because that is what they are now for the time being at least like Outlaws From The West in Chapter 1 which is also what the gang are. Because the gang is now finally resting after being in the mountains. I believe 'Polite Society Valentine Style' refers to the fact that the gang know what Valentine is like trouble wise because of the fight with Tommy earlier and then this mission title could indicate there is going to be more trouble. If I mention a rough area like the Bronx in America and say 'Polite Society Bronx Style' I am saying it because I know how rough the Bronx can be.

However I would say it's a good point about mission titles and it could be seen either way 👍

When was you in the Bronx? I can't imagine a scouser in the Bronx 😂

I do both Polite Society and Americans at Rest on the same day, so it fits perfectly to me. 

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 1

@Dan_1983 That reminds me remember a while back when some of us including me thought that 'Further Questions Of Female Suffrage' meant that it should come after the Female Suffrage march in Course Of True Love 3 in Chapter 3 so we were avoiding triggering the conversation between Sadie and Pearson which starts that mission until after that even though it literally means you can't go anywhere in camp without it starting? 😂

@Dan_1983 That reminds me remember a while back when some of us including me thought that 'Further Questions Of Female Suffrage' meant that it should come after the Female Suffrage march in Course Of True Love 3 in Chapter 3 so we were avoiding triggering the conversation between Sadie and Pearson which starts that mission until after that even though it literally means you can't go anywhere in camp without it starting? 😂

Yes, I was one of the ones who argued against that lol.

• Like 1

When was you in the Bronx? I can't imagine a scouser in the Bronx 😂

Liverpool makes the Bronx look nice.

I have a (likely) unpopular opinion about something in Chapter 2. Something besides where Polite Society goes. I'm just looking into it now and will post about it soon to see what you all think.

Liverpool makes the Bronx look nice.

I know 😉 I do love Liverpool, as my grandmother was from there

• Like 1

I think I'm gonna go with the official guide to an extent;

Day 1

- Polite society, Valentine Style

- Americans at rest

- Who is not without sin 

Day 2

- The first shall be last

Day 3

- Paying a social call

Day 4

- Money lending and other sins 1 & 2

- A quiet time 

Day 5

- Exit pursued by a bruised ego (ask about Micah)

Day 6

- Blessed are the meek?

Day 7

- We loved once and true/Money lending and other sins 3

Day 8

- We loved once and true 2 & 3

Day 9

- The Spines of America 

Day 10

- Pouring forth oil 1 & 2

Day 11

- An American pastoral 

Day 12

- Pouring forth oil 3

- A fisher of men

Day 13

- Pouring forth oil 4

Day 14

- The sheep and the goats 

- A strange kindness 

Nice list, but you'll leave Hosea at Emerald Ranch for 2 or 3 days waiting for you.

Spines of America should be done a day after Exit Pursued by Bruised Ego.

8 minutes ago, TheJesus1996 said:

Day 1

- Americans at rest

- Who is not without sin 

Day 2

Day 3

- Paying a social call

Day 4

- A quiet time 

Day 5

Day 6

- Blessed are the meek?

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

- The Spines of America 

Day 10

Day 11

- An American pastoral 

Day 12

- Pouring forth oil 3

- A fisher of men

Day 13

- Pouring forth oil 4

Day 14

- A strange kindness 

I don't think you have enough time to do Americans at Rest and who's not without a sin at the same day

Guys, silly question but should arthur or John start the Fisher of fish side quest? And should John be the one to hunt the legendary animals? He probably could do it between the epilogue and rdr1, idk

7 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

I don't think you have enough time to do Americans at Rest and who's not without a sin at the same day

It’s possible, I’ve tried it before. Polite Society finishes around 1, At Rest takes a couple of hours (finishes around 3) so there’s time for a quick bath then arrive at the station about 5:30.

EDIT: It also works quite well. Arthur heads into town with Uncle and the girls, meets up with the boys, then heads out to rescue Sean. Flat neck Station is on the way, so he decides to see what Swanson has “found” to give the boys time to scout Blackwater. It’s been a stressful day, so he relaxes with a game of poker, before taking Swanson back to camp and heading to Blackwater in the morning (or same night).

Edited by JonnyTNT7

2 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

It’s possible, I’ve tried it before. Polite Society finishes around 1, At Rest takes a couple of hours (finishes around 3) so there’s time for a quick bath then arrive at the station about 5:30.

Will try it, I do believe Polite Society is a good intro mission to Valentine but it is also a good intro mission to another chapter thread, this being the pouring forth oil thread.... I'm still a bit confused but I'll probably stick with Americans at Rest coming first

Ok so one of arthur's lines just fully convinced me that polite society happens after Americans at rest, not just that but it also happens after The first shall be last and money lending and other sins AND who's not without a sin, when starting the mission Arthur tells to uncle if he wants to go to town to "Find anything ELSE" this means the gang already found something and worked on it and now they need to find something, this line doesn't make sense if polite society is done first cuz the reverend found something on Flatneck Station, the boys are on Valentine, and strauss already found some unfortunates to play with.... But that's just what I think tho

Day 1 - Who is Not Without Sin. Spend most of the day hunting food, doing camp chores beforehand.

Day 2 - Polite Society Valentine Style, Good Honest Snake Oil, Americans at Rest.

Day 3 - The First Shall be the Last.

I think that's a good start to Chapter 2. If anyone disagrees, fair enough but opinions are like arseholes lol everyone has one.

23 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Guys, silly question but should arthur or John start the Fisher of fish side quest? And should John be the one to hunt the legendary animals? He probably could do it between the epilogue and rdr1, idk

I made a point a few weeks ago when talking about the legendary animals, that it was a good idea to kill the two animals introduced in missions as Arthur and leave the rest for John.

However seeing as John doesn't need the money after a certain point and Arthur needs money to contribute to the camp, I do most of them as Arthur.

Edited by Dan_1983

13 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

Ok so one of arthur's lines just fully convinced me that polite society happens after Americans at rest, not just that but it also happens after The first shall be last and money lending and other sins AND who's not without a sin, when starting the mission Arthur tells to uncle if he wants to go to town to "Find anything ELSE" this means the gang already found something and worked on it and now they need to find something, this line doesn't make sense if polite society is done first cuz the reverend found something on Flatneck Station, the boys are on Valentine, and strauss already found some unfortunates to play with.... But that's just what I think tho

I’ve just watched a video of Polite Society and Arthur says “Do you want to head into town, see if we can find anything out?”. Are you sure he said else?

1 hour ago, TheJesus1996 said:

Day 1

- Americans at rest

- Who is not without sin 

Day 2

Day 3

- Paying a social call

Day 4

- A quiet time 

Day 5

Day 6

- Blessed are the meek?

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

- The Spines of America 

Day 10

Day 11

- An American pastoral 

Day 12

- Pouring forth oil 3

- A fisher of men

Day 13

- Pouring forth oil 4

Day 14

- A strange kindness 

I don't think who's not without a sin right after Americans at Rest and before the first shall be last works well, cuz dutch said to you go with the boys and save sean, I don't think he would just let you enter the camp without sean or any of the boys without asking anything, also swansom is a drunken fool who would probably open his mouth, he's priority to Arthur

53 minutes ago, GokuDosGames said:

I'd recommend doing side missions that take place in areas that Arthur currently resides in. "A Fisher of Fish" is located in the same area as the train heist. So, you can just go from the heist to that cabin, if you follow the railroad facing towards Strawberry. It's really just up to you, though. I've considered saving "The Noblest of Men and a Woman," for John, plenty of times.

So here's a funny thing, if you do who's not without a sin, the game skips the time to 5pm, but if you do polite society it skips to 1pm, and Americans at Rest right after skips it to 3/4pm and then who's not without a sin fits on the 5pm thing

7 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

I'd recommend doing side missions that take place in areas that Arthur currently resides in. "A Fisher of Fish" is located in the same area as the train heist. So, you can just go from the heist to that cabin, if you follow the railroad facing towards Strawberry. It's really just up to you, though. I've considered saving "The Noblest of Men and a Woman," for John, plenty of times.

I'll save a Fisher of fish for John cuz when you complete it Gill talks with John like if he knew him since the start, especially when Gill says he gets all the fish and then John says something like "all of them?" I don't remember, and then Gill answer "well, most of them" like if John was the one who catch all the fish

https://youtu.be/rLj2ISiXPQw

Edited by GokuDosGames