RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

Found something regarding Chapter 2. I did Money Lending and Other Sins I and came back to camp at night and found Keiran chatting at the camp fire. This was before Paying a Social Call. 

23 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

Any updates jimmy?

Just mooching through chapter 3 repeatedly bud. I think this order makes the most sense based on what I've seen but I'm double checking stuff:-

1. The New South
  2. Further Questions of Female Suffrage
  3. American Distillation
  4. An Honest Mistake
  5. The Course of True Love I & II
  6. Preaching Forgiveness As He Went
  7. The Course of True Love III
  8. Advertising The New American Art
  9. The Joys of Tobacco
  10. Horse Flesh For Dinner
  11. Magicians For Sport
  12. Sodom Back To Gomorrah
  13. Friends In Very Low Places
  14. Blessed Are The Peacemakers
  15. A Short Walk In a Pretty Town
  16. Blood Feuds Ancient and Modern
  17. The Battle of Shady Belle

The first 2 are pretty obvious. I like American Distillation next as I like to have a good reason for Arthur to be snooping around the Gray's and being deputised is perfect for that. It doesn't make much sense that he would just ride in there without the cover of being deputised because remember he also has to sneak into the braithwaites stealthily so why would he just ride straight into the grays place like it's nothing?

American Distillation unlocks An Honest Mistake and at the end of AD Molly asks you "how is Dutch?" but the way she asks is like she has just seen you with him which she would have at the end of AD because you rode in with him in the race so it makes sense to do this next. The only thing that annoys me a little bit is Arthur's horse is parked in a different place at the start of AHM than it is after the final cutscene of AD but I think that may just be an oversight. You could also maybe do a side mission between these and then park the horse in the place where it is when HM starts but that's just my OCD.

Course of True Love Parts 1 and 2 (Part 1 is just a cutscene) are obviously next because they need to be started as Dutch and Hosea asked you to start them soon.

But next I noticed that if you go to Lenny, during the opening cutscene of Preaching Forgiveness Lenny asks Arthur what he's up to, to which Arthur replies - "just hunting for all this hillbilly gold that Dutch and Hosea seem to think is out there". The only missions that Arthur is actually trying to find out about the gold are Course Of True Love 1, 2 and 3 so it made sense to do it here between parts 2 and 3.

It also makes sense to do it here because After part 3 is finished Advertising the New American Art is unlocked in which Abigail walks up to you whenever you are in camp to start the mission. But you could also try and avoid her and do the Lenny mission afterwards. It also doesn't seem like part 2 and 3 are meant to be done on the same day because if you do them straight after each other one minute you are collecting a letter from Penelope and the next she is at the rally which seems silly so Preaching Forgiveness can be done to act as a break.

At the end of Advertising the new American Art it is night and Hosea heads straight to the Braithwaites so it makes sense that Arthur would go straight to that meeting first. It also seems like this mission is meant to be done at night rather than day because the Grays plantation is empty like it is at night with no workers etc.

The rest I'm still looking into but I think the above makes sense.

7 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Found something regarding Chapter 2. I did Money Lending and Other Sins I and came back to camp at night and found Keiran chatting at the camp fire. This was before Paying a Social Call. 

Really Dan? Ha. That's strange. If that's the case it would likely mean that Social Call is meant to be before Money Lending the same way who is not without sin is meant to be before the first shall be the last because Swanson is always at Sean's party.

I actually prefer doing social call straight after Sean's party too because it gives you enough money for a horse in Hoseas's first mission and this is how I had it in my latest order for Chapter 2 too.

I'll see if I can replicate it myself.

Thanks

The burning crops part in joys of tobacco can only be done at night because if it’s day while you’re hiding in the wagon in the barn Sean will say they’ll wait till it’s dark and then times skips ahead. Or were you talking about something else there?

just to go back to chapter 2 quick, did you end up deciding to do Social Call or Bruised Ego after Sean’s party? I noticed your last few lists changed during this point.

9 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

The burning crops part in joys of tobacco can only be done at night because if it’s day while you’re hiding in the wagon in the barn Sean will say they’ll wait till it’s dark and then times skips ahead. Or were you talking about something else there?

just to go back to chapter 2 quick, did you end up deciding to do Social Call or Bruised Ego after Sean’s party? I noticed your last few lists changed during this point.

Yep that's what I mean. If you get there early he says that whereas if you get there and it's already dark he doesn't and time just stops and stays at midnight. At the end of Advertising An American Art Form it finishes at night and Hosea heads straight to the Braithwaites for a meeting so it makes sense to go straight there right away to start Joys of Tobacco.

In the last order I used for chapter 2 I did Social Call after Sean's party. It seems to fit best because it gives you money you may need for a horse in Bruised Ego and in Bruised Ego Hosea says "how are things between you and John?" no matter what order you do things in. This kind of makes sense if you'd done social call before this because that would be what he was talking about i.e. you were with John on that mission. Here's the last order I came up with:-

- Polite Society Valentine Style

- Americans At Rest

- Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- The First Shall Be The Last

- Paying A Social Call

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego

- Spines Of America

- Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3

- A Quiet Time

- Blessed Are The Meek

- We Loved Once and True 1, 2 and 3

- Bounty Mission - Ellie Ann Swan

- Pouring Forth Oil 1, 2 and 3

- A Fisher of Men

- Pouring Forth Oil 4

- An American Pastoral Scene

- The Sheep & The Goats

- A Strange Kindness

I think the only ones in chapter 2 that are interchangeable are either doing a Bruised Ego and Spines before Social Call instead or doing We Loved Once before A Quiet Time. The rest of the list is spot on I'd say.

I was thinking that Exit Pursued.... needs to be done more earlier because of the tutorial and also it's annoying everytime you're around the camp Hosea is "hey Arthur! I'm in a new save slot and did it before The first shall be last... if you chose to talk about Sean Arthur says "I need to go back to the plains Charles and Javier are scouting the place right now" so it kinda makes sense for me, chose to hunt the bear and sell it to the trapper in Big Valley and then head to TFSBL mission.

19 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Just mooching through chapter 3 repeatedly bud. I think this order makes the most sense based on what I've seen but I'm double checking stuff:-

1. The New South
  3. American Distillation
  4. An Honest Mistake
  9. The Joys of Tobacco
  11. Magicians For Sport

The first 2 are pretty obvious. I like American Distillation next as I like to have a good reason for Arthur to be snooping around the Gray's and being deputised is perfect for that. It doesn't make much sense that he would just ride in there without the cover of being deputised because remember he also has to sneak into the braithwaites stealthily so why would he just ride straight into the grays place like it's nothing?

American Distillation unlocks An Honest Mistake and at the end of AD Molly asks you "how is Dutch?" but the way she asks is like she has just seen you with him which she would have at the end of AD because you rode in with him in the race so it makes sense to do this next. The only thing that annoys me a little bit is Arthur's horse is parked in a different place at the start of AHM than it is after the final cutscene of AD but I think that may just be an oversight. You could also maybe do a side mission between these and then park the horse in the place where it is when HM starts but that's just my OCD.

Course of True Love Parts 1 and 2 (Part 1 is just a cutscene) are obviously next because they need to be started as Dutch and Hosea asked you to start them soon.

But next I noticed that if you go to Lenny, during the opening cutscene of Preaching Forgiveness Lenny asks Arthur what he's up to, to which Arthur replies - "just hunting for all this hillbilly gold that Dutch and Hosea seem to think is out there". The only missions that Arthur is actually trying to find out about the gold are Course Of True Love 1, 2 and 3 so it made sense to do it here between parts 2 and 3.

It also makes sense to do it here because After part 3 is finished Advertising the New American Art is unlocked in which Abigail walks up to you whenever you are in camp to start the mission. But you could also try and avoid her and do the Lenny mission afterwards. It also doesn't seem like part 2 and 3 are meant to be done on the same day because if you do them straight after each other one minute you are collecting a letter from Penelope and the next she is at the rally which seems silly so Preaching Forgiveness can be done to act as a break.

At the end of Advertising the new American Art it is night and Hosea heads straight to the Braithwaites so it makes sense that Arthur would go straight to that meeting first. It also seems like this mission is meant to be done at night rather than day because the Grays plantation is empty like it is at night with no workers etc.

Really Dan? Ha. That's strange. If that's the case it would likely mean that Social Call is meant to be before Money Lending the same way who is not without sin is meant to be before the first shall be the last because Swanson is always at Sean's party.

I actually prefer doing social call straight after Sean's party too because it gives you enough money for a horse in Hoseas's first mission and this is how I had it in my latest order for Chapter 2 too.

Thanks

I usually hunt with Hosea after Sean's party.

I guess you buy the Standardbred? Nice horse and quite quick, but it's too skittish for me. I usually buy the cheap Morgan and sell it back after the mission and get either the Andalusian (love this horse) in Strawberry or Hungarian Half Bred.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:09 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

Yep that's what I mean. If you get there early he says that whereas if you get there and it's already dark he doesn't and time just stops and stays at midnight. At the end of Advertising An American Art Form it finishes at night and Hosea heads straight to the Braithwaites for a meeting so it makes sense to go straight there right away to start Joys of Tobacco.

In the last order I used for chapter 2 I did Social Call after Sean's party. It seems to fit best because it gives you money you may need for a horse in Bruised Ego and in Bruised Ego Hosea says "how are things between you and John?" no matter what order you do things in. This kind of makes sense if you'd done social call before this because that would be what he was talking about i.e. you were with John on that mission. Here's the last order I came up with:-

- Americans At Rest

- Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- The First Shall Be The Last

- Paying A Social Call

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego

- Spines Of America

- Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3

- A Quiet Time

- Blessed Are The Meek

- We Loved Once and True 1, 2 and 3

- Bounty Mission - Ellie Ann Swan

- Pouring Forth Oil 1, 2 and 3

- A Fisher of Men

- Pouring Forth Oil 4

- An American Pastoral Scene

- The Sheep & The Goats

- A Strange Kindness

I think the only ones in chapter 2 that are interchangeable are either doing a Bruised Ego and Spines before Social Call instead or doing We Loved Once before A Quiet Time. The rest of the list is spot on I'd say.

Good work man.

You may have already mentioned this before but what happens if you go see Swanson at the station straight after Americans at Rest? At this time in Valentine it’s nearly night time so I’m wondering if you go see him without going to camp first does time go back to 5pm even if you start that mission at night?

Basically I’m asking does it work do Polite Society, Americans at Rest and Without Sin all on the first day? Have you walked all the way to the station without a horse from Valentine and do you have to carry him back to camp?

Edited by NikosUncle

7 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

Good work man.

You may have already mentioned this before but what happens if you go see Swanson at the station straight after Americans at Rest? At this time in Valentine it’s nearly night time so I’m wondering if you go see him without going to camp first does time go back to 5pm even if you start that mission at night?

Basically I’m asking does it work do Polite Society, Americans at Rest and Without Sin all on the first day? Have you walked all the way to the station without a horse from Valentine and do you have to carry him back to camp?

Time does go backwards if you start it at night, so I guess it's really up to you whether or not you want to break immersion by having the day 'rewind' or just do the third mission on Day 2 before 5pm.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, Shinola Gamer said:

I was thinking that Exit Pursued.... needs to be done more earlier because of the tutorial and also it's annoying everytime you're around the camp Hosea is "hey Arthur! I'm in a new save slot and did it before The first shall be last... if you chose to talk about Sean Arthur says "I need to go back to the plains Charles and Javier are scouting the place right now" so it kinda makes sense for me, chose to hunt the bear and sell it to the trapper in Big Valley and then head to TFSBL mission.

Ye you could do Exit Pursued where you said but I just don't think it makes sense to leave the gang over there that long. I know that Hosea has that dialogue in there but I think it is just included for players who choose to do missions in that order as they needed to cover all possibilities. Plus the dialogue options change in that mission based on what you have done or haven't done. For example if you have rescued Sean before this mission Arthur can mention that to Hosea too.

I think the tutorial is just a mistake by the developers.

Also if you do Polite Society, Americans At Rest on day 1 Who Is not Without Sin on day 2 and then First Shall Be The Last on day 3 you only really have to avoid Hosea 3 times. Although I know it's annoying avoiding him.

On 1/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, Dan_1983 said:

I usually hunt with Hosea after Sean's party.

I guess you buy the Standardbred? Nice horse and quite quick, but it's too skittish for me. I usually buy the cheap Morgan and sell it back after the mission and get either the Andalusian (love this horse) in Strawberry or Hungarian Half Bred.

I kind of like doing social call afterwards plus if the issue you mentioned where kieran was appearing in camp even before social call then that likely means it is meant to be done before Exit Pursued because the mission Spines of America (which exit pursued leads to) seems to be Arthur's first time at Emerald Ranch according to his journal meaning exit pursued needs to be before Money Lending too because Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch in that.

11 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

Good work man.

Cheers bud.

I have tried walking to camp (because it's on the way) and getting my horse and then going to the station but it's always quite late and as Brgrabs said time will then reset backwards to 5pm as soon as you start the mission. I'm not sure what would happen if you walked there but I imagine the horse would just teleport there as soon as you need to take him back.

To be honest I also find it a bit crazy for Arthur to do much after Americans At Rest anyway because he's just been in that huge fight where he is beaten up even as part of the cutscenes and covered in mud so for him to go and have another fight like you do in Who Is Not Without Sin seemed a bit much.

I don't mind leaving the reverend there overnight because after you bring him back if you speak to Grimshaw straight afterwards she says "it looks like he's been up for days" and Arthur replies "probably".

jimmyoneshot yeah you're right  bro but it kinda feels like an earlier mission to do, like the fact that it unlocks after any of the three intro missions. Anyway I'm trying a alternative aproach even though I think yours is the legit one (and it's the one I'm using in my og walkthrough). 

Day one:

I hang around the camp, hunting for Pearson. Chores and other activities. By the afternoon I go to look for Swanson.

- Who is Not without Sin 

Day Two:

I had the luck to active a conversation with Dutch where he says "the boys haven't returned in a while now, you should go to town Arthur". So I invite Uncle.

Straight to...

- Americans at rest 

I walk to camp and that same afternoon I talk to Hosea.

- Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego 

Day Three:

I go to the plains 

- The First Shall Be Last 

4 hours ago, Shinola Gamer said:

jimmyoneshot yeah you're right  bro but it kinda feels like an earlier mission to do, like the fact that it unlocks after any of the three intro missions. Anyway I'm trying a alternative aproach even though I think yours is the legit one (and it's the one I'm using in my og walkthrough). 

Day one:

I hang around the camp, hunting for Pearson. Chores and other activities. By the afternoon I go to look for Swanson.

- Who is Not without Sin 

Day Two:

I had the luck to active a conversation with Dutch where he says "the boys haven't returned in a while now, you should go to town Arthur". So I invite Uncle.

Straight to...

- Americans at rest 

I walk to camp and that same afternoon I talk to Hosea.

- Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego 

Day Three:

I go to the plains 

- The First Shall Be Last 

Yeah I was thinking about Bruised Ego being done before saving Sean just because Hosea is sitting right near the main camp entrance and always calls out “Hey Arthur” every time you go to your horse or go near him but as jimmy has pointed out there’s the whole thing about being able to afford a decent horse and him asking about how you and John are doing.

The money isn’t an issue for me because I can just choose the free warhorse and I suppose Hosea could be just asking about John in general and it’s highly likely you’ve interacted with him at camp a couple of times. 

17 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye you could do Exit Pursued where you said but I just don't think it makes sense to leave the gang over there that long. I know that Hosea has that dialogue in there but I think it is just included for players who choose to do missions in that order as they needed to cover all possibilities. Plus the dialogue options change in that mission based on what you have done or haven't done. For example if you have rescued Sean before this mission Arthur can mention that to Hosea too.

I think the tutorial is just a mistake by the developers.

Also if you do Polite Society, Americans At Rest on day 1 Who Is not Without Sin on day 2 and then First Shall Be The Last on day 3 you only really have to avoid Hosea 3 times. Although I know it's annoying avoiding him.

I kind of like doing social call afterwards plus if the issue you mentioned where kieran was appearing in camp even before social call then that likely means it is meant to be done before Exit Pursued because the mission Spines of America (which exit pursued leads to) seems to be Arthur's first time at Emerald Ranch according to his journal meaning exit pursued needs to be before Money Lending too because Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch in that.

Kieran was back on his tree the next morning too. So it's just an small error. 

I usually do it in this order after Sean's party:

Exit Persued by a Bruised Ego. 

Spines of America 

Paying a Social Call

Money Lending and Other Sins. 

With Exit and the dialogue... If you rescue Sean before, you can always ask Hosea about Micah and Lenny. Arthur will mention that Susan send them scouting ahead, whereas in Eastern Bound it's clear that Dutch sent them to scout ahead. 

Edited by Dan_1983

2 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

With Exit and the dialogue... If you rescue Sean before, you can always ask Hosea about Micah and Lenny. Arthur will mention that Susan send them scouting ahead, whereas in Eastern Bound it's clear that Dutch sent them to scout ahead. 

Dutch sends them to scout ahead when you are initially traveling to Horseshoe Overlook, but Chapter 2 begins 2 weeks later and on the first day Micah and Lenny are both in camp with you. Engaging either of them in dialogue the first time will prompt Arthur to ask if they 'saw anything when they scouted ahead.'  If you leave camp, sleep, or save and reload your game on Day 1, Susan will walk up to Arthur and tell you she sent them scouting ahead.

1 hour ago, Brgrabs said:

Dutch sends them to scout ahead when you are initially traveling to Horseshoe Overlook, but Chapter 2 begins 2 weeks later and on the first day Micah and Lenny are both in camp with you. Engaging either of them in dialogue the first time will prompt Arthur to ask if they 'saw anything when they scouted ahead.'  If you leave camp, sleep, or save and reload your game on Day 1, Susan will walk up to Arthur and tell you she sent them scouting ahead.

Thanks. Never had that as I always do the mission with Uncle usually as soon as Chapter 2 starts up.

Hey I’m wondering in chapter 3 after Blessed are the Peacemakers and you’ve been healing for weeks then you go into Rhodes to do Short Walk and Bill says they’ve been waiting for you. Is there any kind of dialogue to build that mission up because it seemed weird when Bill that said, I wasn’t even told to go into town. 

Edited by NikosUncle

On 1/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, Dan_1983 said:

I usually do it in this order after Sean's party:

Exit Persued by a Bruised Ego. 

Spines of America 

Paying a Social Call

Money Lending and Other Sins. 

Yep you can do it in that order. It just seemed better to me to deal with Kieran first and also getting rid of any nearby O'Driscoll's which makes the camp safer plus there's the dialogue with Hosea where he asks how you and John are getting on in Exit Pursued which makes sense after this.

21 hours ago, NikosUncle said:

Hey I’m wondering in chapter 3 after Blessed are the Peacemakers and you’ve been healing for weeks then you go into Rhodes to do Short Walk and Bill says they’ve been waiting for you. Is there any kind of dialogue to build that mission up because it seemed weird when Bill that said, I wasn’t even told to go into town. 

Yep I noticed that too as I always do Peacemakers as the last mission before short walk.

Short Walk is unlocked by completing - Friends in Very Low Places, Fine Joys of Tobacco, Horse Flesh For Dinner and Blessed Are The Peacemakers.

I'm wondering what would happen if you do the last 3 and then do Friends in Very Low Places last. Seems strange to do it like that but it may have dialogue afterwards where someone approaches Arthur or something whereas doing Peacemakers last doesn't seem to have any. I'll test it out.

I suppose Arthur could've been told this as he was healing or something though too.

1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Yep you can do it in that order. It just seemed better to me to deal with Kieran first and also getting rid of any nearby O'Driscoll's which makes the camp safer plus there's the dialogue with Hosea where he asks how you and John are getting on in Exit Pursued which makes sense after this.

Yep I noticed that too as I always do Peacemakers as the last mission before short walk.

Short Walk is unlocked by completing - Friends in Very Low Places, Fine Joys of Tobacco, Horse Flesh For Dinner and Blessed Are The Peacemakers.

I'm wondering what would happen if you do the last 3 and then do Friends in Very Low Places last. Seems strange to do it like that but it may have dialogue afterwards where someone approaches Arthur or something whereas doing Peacemakers last doesn't seem to have any. I'll test it out.

I suppose Arthur could've been told this as he was healing or something though too.

Hosea asking about Arthur and John makes sense regardless of whether you do that mission first or not as he knows their history and cares about them both. 

Brady Medearis

Ugggh I’m so annoyed lmao. For chapter 2 I’ve done everything else right except I did pouring forth oil IV before A Fisher of Men and I feel like that little mistake totally ruined the immersion. If I want to fix it I’d have to go insanely far back to my most recent manual save.

ig I’m just going to try and ignore it and be smarter with my mission choices going forward.

the thing I keep telling myself is Rockstar designs these games for everyone to have slightly different narrative experiences but still Arthur saying that line of dialogue before the damn thing even happened seems like quite the hiccup...

On 1/18/2019 at 5:26 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

1. The New South
  3. American Distillation
  4. An Honest Mistake
  9. The Joys of Tobacco
  11. Magicians For Sport

Thanks

I finally made it to chapter 3 after not playing this game for a while. Your mission order for chapter 3 is good and make a lot of sense. Great job! I am following your mission order for chapter 3.

Dutch is the leader and a father figure to Arthur. Hosea is like a mentor and grandfather. I still feel that Arthur would talk to Dutch first before anyone else.My latest chapter 2 mission order is closely same as yours, but I still put in order social call, quiet time, and exit pursued by a bruised ego right after Sean's party. I still believe that a quiet time before exit pursued by a bruised ego make sense from a narrative standpoint and my play style.  Another thing I like to do is when I get back to camp after a mission, I will talk to Dutch and tell him what happen.  As we continue with the game and finish chapters it seems that Dutch and Arthur relationship will become more different.

Hey jimmy have you ever tried leaving Swanson at the station for longer? If so does anyone remind you to go find him?

im just wondering because after Americans at Rest and you go back to camp there’s 3 new missions there  and it’s just slightly odd to ignore them all and go see Swanson first. No big deal though.

Have you ever done Social Call, Without Sin and then First Shall be the Last?

18 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Hey jimmy have you ever tried leaving Swanson at the station for longer? If so does anyone remind you to go find him?

im just wondering because after Americans at Rest and you go back to camp there’s 3 new missions there  and it’s just slightly odd to ignore them all and go see Swanson first. No big deal though.

I've left Swanson after rescuing Sean, hunting with Hosea and killing O'Driscolls with John and Bill before and didn't have no one remind me.

I did that because he is a pain in the backside and a character I don't care for.

I've done Social Call before The First Shall be the Last and you get unique dialogue with Kieran at Sean's party as Arthur tells him Sean will make his life hell if he finds out he was an O'Driscoll.

Edited by Dan_1983

1 hour ago, Dan_1983 said:

I've left Swanson after rescuing Sean, hunting with Hosea and killing O'Driscolls with John and Bill before and didn't have no one remind me.

I did that because he is a pain in the backside and a character I don't care for.

I've done Social Call before The First Shall be the Last and you get unique dialogue with Kieran at Sean's party as Arthur tells him Sean will make his life hell if he finds out he was an O'Driscoll.

There’s just the fact that finding Swanson is one of the first tasks mentioned at the start of the chapter so it wouldn’t feel right to leave him that long plus he’s apparently at Sean’s party even if you don’t go find him first. 

1 hour ago, NikosUncle said:

There’s just the fact that finding Swanson is one of the first tasks mentioned at the start of the chapter so it wouldn’t feel right to leave him that long plus he’s apparently at Sean’s party even if you don’t go find him first. 

Exactly. Only logical explanation is that Flatneck ain't far from camp and maybe Swanson decided to go home haha.

faccioroberto
On 11/16/2018 at 9:35 PM, Spydr Webz said:

[21] – [J] – Pouring Forth Oil [II-IV]

[22] – [M] – An American Pastoral Scene

[23] – [A] – A Fisher of Men

As I like to play my games in the most chronological way possible just like you I noticed that this sequence doesn't make any sense.

In Pouring Forth Oil [IV] at the end, Arthur mentions that he already found "some of them near Horseshoe Overlook".

Spoiler

(I presume he's talking about Milton and Ross encounter in A Fisher of Men)

That being said, I have found that the most logical order for those missions would be:

Pouring Forth Oil [III] - Do it at night. Do not sleep, go straight into Micah mission.
An American Pastoral Scene - Try to get that by 5-6AM.

Spoiler

(the wagon shows up by 7:30 AM more or less)

A Fisher of Men - Do it straight after An American Pastoral Scene, since fishing in the morning makes more sense and the next needs to be done during afternoon.

Pouring Forth Oil [IV] - Do what you want but be there during afternoon. (Arthur haven't slept and he'll do it till nightfall during the first mission scene)

Hey guys, been reading through this thread the last few days and the insight has been great. I formed my own list using a little bit of information from everyone. Here is how mine plays out:

I checked what time the missions start by using the replay mission feature. Not all missions have a specified time, but some do so I listed the times for the ones this applies to.

CHAPTER 1:

Day 1

(12 AM) Outlaws From the West (The gang arrives in Colter at this time, the VERY FIRST FIST FIGHT happens in Sadie's barn, so I'm going to ignore trying to chronological order things based off the tutorial missions)

(7 AM) Enter Pursued by a Memory

Day 2

(6 AM) (Day begins with "We have been running for weeks" Journal entry narration)

(9 AM) The Aftermath of Genesis (feeding the camp should be number 1 on the agenda)

(4 PM) Old Friends

Title Screen reads "A Few Days Later"

Day 6

(9 AM) Who the Hell is Leviticus Cornwall?

Day 7

(7 AM) Eastward Bound (Gang begins move to Horseshoe Overlook)

(4 PM) (Dutch sends Micah and Lenny to scout ahead, Micah says he'll buy Lenny a whisky which sounds like a direct tie-in to the Strawberry incident)

When you arrive at camp Strauss says he is going to head into town to see if he can strike up some business

CHAPTER 2:

Title Screen reads "A Couple Weeks Later"

Day 1:

(9 AM) (Hosea gives you a few leads to start off the chapter. Micah can be seen in camp, going off another users experience it seems like Grimshaw sends them out scouting again after this. Arthur socializes around camp, performs chores then heads over to the train station any time before 5 PM. Because 5 PM is when he finishes playing cards.) 

(5 PM) Who is Not Without Sin (Learn Poker, get into yet another fist fight which gives you practice before the huge "Boss" fight in Valentine, learn to stop witnesses, save Swanson and return to camp)

Day 2:

(8 AM) Polite Society, Valentine Style

Americans at Rest (Trelawny arrives after the fight and tells Dutch where Sean is being held, Dutch sends Javier, Charles and Trelawny to scout Blackwater, then tells Arthur to get cleaned up and join them when he's ready. This should be first on Arthurs agenda.)

Stranger - The Noblest of Men (After the fight Arthur heads down to the other Saloon for a drink, triggers this stranger mission. Then walks back to camp)

Day 3:

(10 AM) The First Shall Be the Last (The mission starts at 10 so get there before hand. On the way back to camp Arthur runs into a Stranger selling a map, and robs him. Then they party at night)

Stranger - Jack Hall Treasure Map (I choose to rob the guy because he makes it sound like he's out of time and has to leave the country, why would Arthur choose to do him a favor pay someone who seems like he has no other ways of profiting off this map. Plus Arthur isn't fully reformed in his decision making yet.)

Day 4:

Paying A Social Call (Kieran has been tied up to that pole for weeks now, supposedly without food. It's time to figure out what his value to the gang is, or get rid of him.)

Good, Honest Snake Oil (It's time for Arthur to start making a little cash and get these chump change bounty missions out of the way early. The cutscene is perfectly ambiguous for this type of open mission structure. The Sheriff openly talks about how he knows you aren't exactly a saint, presumably after the huge fist fight in the street.)

Day 5:

Stranger - A Test of Faith (Stop by Dinosaur bone lady on the way to Emmett Granger's)

Emmett Granger (After killing him, kill his pigs and bring one of their carcassses to Pearson at camp, which will trigger Pearson telling you about the Trapper and his location.

(5 PM) A Quiet Time (Start this mission any time before 5 PM. If you hover over the mission on the map, the description is "Ask Dutch if he has found a buyer for the bonds", which makes me believe this should come before Exit by a Bruised Ego. Also, when out with Lenny, you should let yourself get caught, because that seems to be the canon approach according to some dialogue later in the game - thanks whoever mentioned this. And although Arthur is in no rush to rescue Micah, Dutch gave him clear orders to do so. Plus he's in jail waiting to be hanged, there is no time to waste.)

Day 6:

(8 AM) Wake up in jail with Lenny

Blessed are the Meek? (Micah tells you to visit him at his camp and he'll make it up to you. But Arthur could care less, he can't stand Micah. Head back to camp and on the way Arthur stops for a smoke break at Flatneck Station and encounters the Card Collector)

Stranger - Smoking and Other Hobbies

When you get back to camp Dutch approaches you and asks you to do him a favor and help Strauss with money lending. Arthur says he's been working hard but begrudgingly agrees to help him, for Dutch. Miss Grimshaw tells you she saw Mary Gillis sniffing around.

Day 7:

(5 PM) Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego (Start this mission any time before 5 PM. You should now have enough money to buy a good sized horse and avoid the shrink down animation. Arthur asks Hosea about the bonds.)

(11 PM) Set up camp with Hosea and sleep.

Day 8:

(7 AM) Arthur and Hosea continue their hunt the next day. Choose the split up approach, and stay to hunt the bear after. Seems canon due to dialogue later in the game, someone else mentioned this. Sell the Pelt to the nearby trapper. On the way back to camp you rescue a woman whose trapped under a horse, she asked me to drop her off in Valentine. While in town, grab the second bounty poster.

Bounty - Ellie Anne Swan (Capture and return her for some chump change)

Day 9:

(8 AM) Spines of America (Miss Grimshaw told you Hosea wants you to come to Emerald Ranch. This should serve as an introduction to Emerald Ranch according to Arthur's Journal. I chose the day time robbery approach because of Hosea's line later where he says "we met your cousins, nice people")

Day 10:

Money Lending and Other Sins 1-2 (Collect the first 3 debts. Return to camp, hear Strauss's request to retrieve the Downes debt. After the cutscene ends Arthur is walking towards his bed, not the horse/camp exit. Call it a night.)

Day 11:

Money Lending and Other Sins 3 (Visit Downes, beat him up. Arthur contracts Active TB, symptoms show within the first few weeks so we need to start this asap before Javier's homestead robbery mission. After giving Strauss the money, I go out and collect the treasure from the first Jack Hall Gang Map)

Day 12:

We Loved Once and True (On the way to Valentine I was ambushed by an O'Driscoll wagon road block. I killed them, then took their wagon to Seamus's newly acquired Fencing operation. I came back to Valentine for the Mary mission and passed by the side saloon where Uncle can be seen getting kicked out, stopped for a quick chat with him and then met Mary. She tells you to go to Carmody Dell, Arthur knows where that is now because of the Hosea mission)

Day 13:

Flaco Hernandez (I know some find it strange to send Arthur back into the snow after they spent weeks complaining about how miserable they were up there. But he believes there's a reward in it for him if he helps this author out, so it makes sense for Arthur to go back up in the snow while he's still here. Kill Flaco, on the way back down, loot the house near Barrow Lagoon, hunt the legendary ram. Go back to camp and do not sleep past 6 AM.)

Day 14:

Charles - Hunting (After this mission sell your legendary ram pelt to the trapper)

Javier - Homestead Robbery (Arthur starts showing symptoms of TB at the end)

Day 15:

Pouring Forth Oil 1-3 (I think the true canon way is to steal the Wagon's while they are on route or in Valentine. Arthur is a lot like Hosea and wouldn't want to head into a facility guns blazing when there is an easier solution. But there is a weird glitch where the wagons sometimes don't leave. Just save your game, reboot and when you load up your game the wagons should be in different locations. To me this isn't cheating or ruining the immersion, it's a glitch.)

Edith Downes can be seen coming to camp later the day and returning some debt to Strauss, she mentions to him that her husband has passed, I've witnessed this happen on two different playthroughs.

Day 16:

Fisher of Men

(7 PM) Pouring Forth Oil 4 (Arrive before 7 PM if possible. The gang waits till 9 PM and then heads out)

Day 17:

(8 AM) The Sheep and the Goats (I got to camp around 5 AM and didn't sleep, I figure Arthur is still wired from that shootout and decided to have some coffee and meet up with John who said he was going to Valentine.)

A Strange Kindness (Time to move, Arthurs lack of sleep might explain his attitude in regards to helping out the family they discover hiding)

By my count the gang has spent exactly 1 month at Horseshoe Overlook.

I saved An American Pastoral Scene for Chapter 3. I don't think Arthur cares for Micah and is in no rush to see him. Micah isn't a part of any story missions until much later in Chapter 3 anyway. I will head back to see him when Strauss gives me money loan mission number 4 near Strawberry.

- I usually choose to visit Swanson first, because the guys in town have a hotel and women to keep them company. Swanson can't defend himself so he probably requires checking in on first. But if you really, really want to have Polite Society be the first mission, you can save Swanson after doing The First Shall Be the Last, on your way back from Blackwater stop by the train station and the mission should be available, and the mission times match up which is even better. This way you have everyone back at camp for Sean's party, let me know if this mission is still available or if all story missions get locked down after rescuing Sean.

- I'm locked in on the order of Americans at Rest and The First Shall be the Last. Dutch tells you to get cleaned up and join them in Blackwater, this is urgent and no other time consuming story mission going between them.

- There are two ways to handle Pouring Forth Oil. You can steal the wagon or you can "forget" about it and let someone else steal it for you. For the second approach you can talk to John as soon as someone at camp tells you he was looking for you, which you should probably do before reading Mary's letter and doing her mission. That way Arthur will have a good reason for his mind to have been so side tracked that he completely forgot to steal a wagon, plus I kind of like that he messes up at some point in his relationship with John, so that its not so one-sided with John always being the one that messes up. Also, the wagons tend to glitch and not leave the factory sometimes so this might be a good approach.

Working on Chapter 3 next, its tricky.

Here is an easier to read version of the list:

Who is Not Without Sin

Polite Society, Valentine Style

Americans at Rest

Stranger - The Noblest of Men

The First Shall Be the Last

Stranger - Jack Hall Treasure Map

Paying A Social Call

Good, Honest Snake Oil

Stranger - A Test of Faith

Emmett Granger

A Quiet Time

Blessed are the Meek?

Stranger - Smoking and Other Hobbies

Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego

Bounty - Ellie Anne Swan 

Spines of America

Money Lending and Other Sins 1-2

Money Lending and Other Sins 3

We Loved Once and True

Flaco Hernandez

Charles - Hunting 

Javier - Homestead Robbery 

Pouring Forth Oil 1-3

Fisher of Men

Pouring Forth Oil 4

The Sheep and the Goats 

A Strange Kindness 

• Like 3

^^^

About chapter1, I do think The Aftermath of Genesis should be done after Old Friends because you’ll notice that in the cabin Molly is doing her makeup in the next room and outside Javier is standing by the fire outside the next cabin and both of them are in the exact same position when you get back from doing Genesis first. If you do Old Friends first they’ll have changed what they’re doing when you get back so it looks better, plus the Old Friends mission marker is closer so it’s only natural do go there.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:57 PM, NikosUncle said:

Just done a test. Basically to unlock Short Walk In A Pretty Town you need to have completed Fine Joys of Tobacco, Horse Flesh For Dinner, Friends in Very Low Places and Blessed Are The Peacemakers. 

So I did:-

- Fine Joys of Tobacco

- Horse Flesh For Dinner

- Sodom Back To Gomorrah (Needed to unlock Blessed Are The Peacemakers)

- Blessed Are The Peacemakers

- Friends in Very Low Places

Whereas normally I do the last 2 the other way around. When I did this I noticed during friends in very low places Trelawny has some new dialogue that he never usually says where he tells Arthur that Bill wants him to meet him in town after the mission. Check it out :-

I must stress though that if you do it in this order you will LOSE Bill and Sean's stagecoach robbery missions because this is the mission that unlocks those and obviously once Short Walk is unlocked, which it is after this mission, then Bill and Sean will be in town and when you finish Short Walk the next missions just trigger one after the other until the chapter ends. You could also maybe leave Horse Flesh and/or Tobacco available and do them after Friends in Very Low Places but it makes absolutely no sense story wise to do that because Dutch has sent the gang to meetings at both of the family houses and Arthur is meant to go and meet them straight away. And leaving Hosea and Sean at the Braithwaites for several days is just bizarre.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:30 AM, Brady Medearis said:

Ugggh I’m so annoyed lmao. For chapter 2 I’ve done everything else right except I did pouring forth oil IV before A Fisher of Men and I feel like that little mistake totally ruined the immersion. If I want to fix it I’d have to go insanely far back to my most recent manual save.

ig I’m just going to try and ignore it and be smarter with my mission choices going forward.

the thing I keep telling myself is Rockstar designs these games for everyone to have slightly different narrative experiences but still Arthur saying that line of dialogue before the damn thing even happened seems like quite the hiccup...

Yep there is an even worse balls up than that later on in Chapter 5/6 which is almost comically bad. Arthur spends a long time doing several side missions helping someone out and then they leave town to a better life, however you are only meant to do these side missions after a certain story mission because at the end of that story mission you see the person that Arthur helps out in town when they have already left if you've already done the side missions. The story during the side missions is really meaningful and emotional too so it made it looks way more stupid.

My guess is that they originally had a lot more missions that could only be unlocked after certain other missions were done but then someone likely suggested they should make it more open ended and show the triggers for more missions whenever.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:01 PM, Psycho18 said:

I finally made it to chapter 3 after not playing this game for a while. Your mission order for chapter 3 is good and make a lot of sense. Great job! I am following your mission order for chapter 3.

Dutch is the leader and a father figure to Arthur. Hosea is like a mentor and grandfather. I still feel that Arthur would talk to Dutch first before anyone else.My latest chapter 2 mission order is closely same as yours, but I still put in order social call, quiet time, and exit pursued by a bruised ego right after Sean's party. I still believe that a quiet time before exit pursued by a bruised ego make sense from a narrative standpoint and my play style.  Another thing I like to do is when I get back to camp after a mission, I will talk to Dutch and tell him what happen.  As we continue with the game and finish chapters it seems that Dutch and Arthur relationship will become more different.

Thanks bud. I know what you mean but remember Arthur didn't approach Hosea to talk about the bonds it is simply brought up in conversation during the mission. It's also worth noting that whenever something needs selling Hosea is the one who deals with it by default so Arthur would already know this having known him for 20 years. There are several examples of this in chapter 3 such as when the gang steals the moonshine Hosea is the one who's job it is to sell it. Plus when you steal the rifles with Lenny Arthur can actually ask him if he's had any luck selling those rifles.

I also like to speak to Dutch after missions. I've been meaning to note down which missions trigger something to say to him afterwards.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:01 PM, NikosUncle said:

I think even though there are missions in camp at that point Arthur knows what's more important. It is strange having to go and get Swanson when for all Arthur knows he could be fine but I suppose because he hasn't returned overnight (if you sleep after American's at rest) Arthur could be worried. The main reason I go for him is because he is stupidly at Sean's party no matter what though tbh.

I don't think there is any dialogue that happens if you leave him there for a while although I rarely leave him there long to be honest due to the Sean's party situation.