1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

jimmyoneshot
36 minutes ago, Psycho18 said:

You make a good point. Remember, in chapter 1 Arthur gave Dutch the bail bonds. In chapter 2, it fits the narrative when Arthur asks Dutch first about the bail bonds (A Quiet Time). Dutch will say Hosea is handling the bail bonds. In Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego, Arthur asks Hosea about the bail bonds. Hosea will say the bonds are still hot and they cannot move the bonds yet. Hosea does have two leads.  This is why I like to do A quiet time before going on a hunting trip with Hosea. I never thought about that before,  Blessed are the Meek might work before the hunting trip with Hosea. Hosea has been sitting at camp ever since the end of the uncle mission. In the cutscene, for Exit Pursued by a bruised ego, Arthur did say he can get away from the camp for a couple days.  It has been a bad couple weeks for the gang, the snow, Swanson, bar fight, shootout for Sean, shootout with ODrisscolls, and maybe the shootout for Micah.

I have noticed something just now related to Hosea and that hunting trip and his follow up mission:-

One thing i have always based my orders on is the tutorials that the game gives us. For example I could never put anything that has a tough fight in it before Americans At Rest because that has the fighting tutorial in it and Who Is Not Without Sin has a fight against a pretty tough guy if you've just started the game yet doesn't provide a tutorial for the fight which shows it should be after Americans At Rest. Most of the time the tutorials are pretty foolproof and explain every little thing, especially if it is the first time you are doing the thing they are related to.

Now in the missions 'Who Is Not Without Sin' and 'Spines of America' you use the binoculars, and depending on whichever of these missions you do first this would likely be the first time Arthur has used the binoculars as part of a mission (when he used them in chapter 1 that doesn't count as he just used them in a cutscene).

The thing is in Spines of America the tutorial literally tells you how to select the binoculars in the items menu, equip them and then how to actually aim them with L2. So it explains it as if this is the first time the player has used the binoculars (here's a video of it with the exact time it occurs set):-

Now in 'First Shall Be The Last' however, there is a tutorial but it DOES NOT tell you how to aim the binoculars only how to select and equip them. If this was the first time the player had used the binoculars wouldn't they tell you how to aim them too like they did in the other tutorial? Here's a video showing it again with the correct time set:-

Now this may just be me overthinking things as it may just be a mistake but it sure looks like to me that the top video is meant to be the first time you use the binoculars. Note also that the tutorials go like this no matter what order you do the missions in.

This has got me thinking and rethinking about testing this out next:-

- Polite Society Valentine Style

- Americans At Rest

- Sleep at camp

- Good Honest Snake Oil  - You NEED to do this to be able to afford a proper horse with Hosea (Arthur starts the Chapter with around £30 - £40, this mission gets you £50 and selling Hosea's horse gets you $65 so that's overall $150 - $155 and the standardbred costs $150)

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego (choose the hunt bear option)

- Return to camp and Grimshaw will tell you to meet Hosea at Emerald Ranch

- Spines of America

- Sleep at camp

- The First Shall Be The Last

Although that seems like a crazy long time to leave Sean but the above videos have got me thinking.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

Do you have a newer rough list of chapter 3 for the meantime jimmmyoneshot? Id be interested to see where you’d put the gang side missions in like fishing and home robbery etc.

i know you took a break so is your list on the other page all you’ve got so far?

Damn R* now your binocular tutorial is screwing things up? Lol

This one might just have to be ignored because it doesn’t feel right to do two longish missions with Hosea before going to see the guys scouting Blackwater, especially the hunting where Hosea actually says they may take a couple of days or whatever. It can work though.

It’s just so lucky that Javier has a tent set up making it seem abit plausible if you make them wait a few days. Imagine if there WASN’T a tent! 

jimmyoneshot
7 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Do you have a newer rough list of chapter 3 for the meantime jimmmyoneshot? Id be interested to see where you’d put the gang side missions in like fishing and home robbery etc.

i know you took a break so is your list on the other page all you’ve got so far?

Of course bud. It is rough but here you go along with some of my reasonings:-

1. The New South
  2. American Distillation
  3. An Honest Mistake - The way Molly says "how is Dutch?" at the start of this mission is as though she has just seen the two of you together which she would have after American Distillation because Arthur and him have just rode in together. Plus Bill's dialogue to Uncle at the start of this mission suggests the gang has only just got here and Uncle's dialogue then refers to the above 2 missions "While you boys been off fishing ('The New South') or playing Lawman ('American Distillation' which Bill was a part of too) or whatever the hell you've been doing"
  4. The Course of True Love I, II and III - American Distillation and these being completed unlocks Advertising The New American Art during which the gang are selling the moonshine. I believe these only make sense after American Distillation because if you do these first and then American Distillation then as soon as you get back to camp the gang will be wanting to get rid of the moonshine and speak as though it's been there a while which makes no sense because Arthur has literally only just got it whereas if you do these after American Distillation their will be some time between getting the moonshine and selling it.  American Distillation also gets you the badge which you can use to access the Grays place. This is literally the only use for the badge so it's a shame not to make this use of it. Plus it seems strange for Arthur to just go riding up to the grays without this as a good reason to be doing so.
  5. Abigail approaches you here and tells you John needs to speak to you at the moon shine stash so that needs to be next
  6. Advertising The New American Art
  7. At the end of the above mission Dutch tells Arthur about Sean and Hosea meeting the Braithwaites and John and Javier meeting the Grays so the following 2 missions are next
  8. The Joys of Tobacco - It makes sense to do this first because Hosea has literally just gone straight there to meet the Braithwaites and doing horse flesh for dinner first would mean the gang are stealing horses from a place where Sean an Hosea are currently having a meeting (Arthur even mentions this fact if you do it) which seems stupid
  9. Horse Flesh For Dinner
  10. After the above you will start on the dock at camp an as you walk past Dutch will shout for you to start this mission. You can't even sleep in bed without him shouting you so it makes sense to be next
  11. Magicians For Sport
  12. At the start of the Female Suffrage mission Arthur has some dialogue with Sadie where he says "We are not just hunting, we're hunted" and I believe with this he is referring to the bounty hunters in Magicians For Sport which is why it makes sense for it to be next or after it at least
  13. Further Questions of Female Suffrage ???
  14. Friends In Very Low Places
  15. Preaching Forgiveness As He Went ???
  16. Sodom Back To Gomorrah
  17. Blessed Are The Peacemakers
  18. A Short Walk In a Pretty Town
  19. Blood Feuds Ancient and Modern
  20. The Battle of Shady Belle

I normally just squeeze in the home robberies etc wherever I can but I noticed there doesn't seem much time to spare for them until after Magicians For Sport.

Also the main ones I'm not really sure on above are Further Questions of Female Suffrage and Preaching Forgiveness As He Went.

8 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Damn R* now your binocular tutorial is screwing things up? Lol

This one might just have to be ignored because it doesn’t feel right to do two longish missions with Hosea before going to see the guys scouting Blackwater, especially the hunting where Hosea actually says they may take a couple of days or whatever. It can work though.

It’s just so lucky that Javier has a tent set up making it seem abit plausible if you make them wait a few days. Imagine if there WASN’T a tent! 

Yep it doesn't seem right to me either. Although if you do the Hosea mission before going there then there is this dialogue where Arthur says he really should be getting over there soon:-

Plus the Hosea mission does seem like an important early tutorial mission. Yep if there wasn't a tent I think it would be a no go. So thinking about it:-

Day 1:-

- Americans At Rest

Day 2:-

- Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

Day 3:-

- Exit Pursued By  Bruised Ego

Day 4:-

- Spines Of America

Day 5:-

Which means they are there for like 3 days.

I do think Further Questions of Female Suffrage is meant to be the second mission in the same way Polite Society was meant to be the first in chapter 2. It’s the closest mission marker and the only one in the camp which is where you are. For time of days reasons you’d need to sleep straight after the fishing trip before triggering it.

i know you had an issue with the mission title making it seem like it should come after the protest in Rhodes so I understand the dilemma here. 

Also leaving Preaching Forgiveness As He Went so late means Lenny is standing at the shore for a long time but I guess that doesn’t matter too much. 

At the end of The Joys of Tobacco you’re left in a field in the middle of the night and Horse Flesh For Dinner isn’t even available again straight away. Is that a good time to set up your own camp to sleep till morning? Could another mission be done in between? It might seem strange to go straight back to the Grays only hours after burning a lot of their crops and killing so many men. I know John mentions the Grays are freaking out about it but it still might be slightly too soon to go back there.

Before any of this though... what happens if you go to the Grays entrance first without the badge? 

I saved micah from the jail to see him in seans return party. But he didnt come back to our camp.

When micah will come back?

14 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

1. The New South
  2. American Distillation
  3. An Honest Mistake - The way Molly says "how is Dutch?" at the start of this mission is as though she has just seen the two of you together which she would have after American Distillation because Arthur and him have just rode in together. Plus Bill's dialogue to Uncle at the start of this mission suggests the gang has only just got here and Uncle's dialogue then refers to the above 2 missions "While you boys been off fishing ('The New South') or playing Lawman ('American Distillation' which Bill was a part of too) or whatever the hell you've been doing"
  4. The Course of True Love I, II and III - American Distillation and these being completed unlocks Advertising The New American Art during which the gang are selling the moonshine. I believe these only make sense after American Distillation because if you do these first and then American Distillation then as soon as you get back to camp the gang will be wanting to get rid of the moonshine and speak as though it's been there a while which makes no sense because Arthur has literally only just got it whereas if you do these after American Distillation their will be some time between getting the moonshine and selling it.  American Distillation also gets you the badge which you can use to access the Grays place. This is literally the only use for the badge so it's a shame not to make this use of it. Plus it seems strange for Arthur to just go riding up to the grays without this as a good reason to be doing so.
  5. Abigail approaches you here and tells you John needs to speak to you at the moon shine stash so that needs to be next
  7. At the end of the above mission Dutch tells Arthur about Sean and Hosea meeting the Braithwaites and John and Javier meeting the Grays so the following 2 missions are next
  8. The Joys of Tobacco - It makes sense to do this first because Hosea has literally just gone straight there to meet the Braithwaites and doing horse flesh for dinner first would mean the gang are stealing horses from a place where Sean an Hosea are currently having a meeting (Arthur even mentions this fact if you do it) which seems stupid
  10. After the above you will start on the dock at camp an as you walk past Dutch will shout for you to start this mission. You can't even sleep in bed without him shouting you so it makes sense to be next
  11. Magicians For Sport
  12. At the start of the Female Suffrage mission Arthur has some dialogue with Sadie where he says "We are not just hunting, we're hunted" and I believe with this he is referring to the bounty hunters in Magicians For Sport which is why it makes sense for it to be next or after it at least

I normally just squeeze in the home robberies etc wherever I can but I noticed there doesn't seem much time to spare for them until after Magicians For Sport.

Also the main ones I'm not really sure on above are Further Questions of Female Suffrage and Preaching Forgiveness As He Went.

Yep it doesn't seem right to me either. Although if you do the Hosea mission before going there then there is this dialogue where Arthur says he really should be getting over there soon:-

Plus the Hosea mission does seem like an important early tutorial mission. Yep if there wasn't a tent I think it would be a no go. So thinking about it:-

- Americans At Rest

- Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- Spines Of America

That is a good start, and you might be right about tutorials. What about this way. I would not throw a party, knowing another gang member in jail. 

Day 3- Paying a Social Call: Nobody is available except for John and Bill.

-- Bounty Hunt: Ellie Anne Swann

Day 4- A Quiet Time: Dutch has the Bonds, so Arthur ask him first.

Day 5- Exit Pursued By a bruised ego: Arthur knows that Hosea is handling the bonds, so he asked him second. 

Day 6- Spines Of America

Day7 - Blessed are the Meek

Day 8- The First Shall Be The Last

jimmyoneshot
42 minutes ago, Psycho18 said:

That is a good start, and you might be right about tutorials. What about this way. I would not throw a party, knowing another gang member in jail. 

Day 3- Paying a Social Call: Nobody is available except for John and Bill.

-- Bounty Hunt: Ellie Anne Swann

Day 4- A Quiet Time: Dutch has the Bonds, so Arthur ask him first.

Day 5- Exit Pursued By a bruised ego: Arthur knows that Hosea is handling the bonds, so he asked him second. 

Day 6- Spines Of America

Day7 - Blessed are the Meek

Day 8- The First Shall Be The Last

Cheers bud. A big issue with that is that A Quiet Time isn't unlocked until after you have done both Paying a Social Call and Money Lending & Other Sins 1 and 2, during which Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch and as me and you both established earlier in the thread the first time Arthur goes to Emerald Ranch based on his journal is during Spines Of America. I'm experimenting with this just now and although I don't like it as it leaves Sean for a little while it does flow well from what I've seen so far:-

DAY 1

- Americans At Rest

DAY 2

- Check out Valentine and stranger mission etc

- Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego (Start)

DAY 3

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego (End)

- Spines Of America

DAY 4

- Some stranger missions  which are on the way to Sean etc

- Sean's party until 5am

DAY 5

- Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3

DAY 6

- Paying A Social Call

- Bounty Mission - Ellie Ann Swan

DAY 7

- We Loved Once and True 1, 2 and 3

- A Quiet Time

DAY 8

- Blessed Are The Meek

DAY 9

- Pouring Forth Oil 1, 2 and 3

- A Fisher of Men

- Pouring Forth Oil 4

DAY 10

- An American Pastoral Scene

DAY 11

- The Sheep & The Goats

- A Strange Kindness

I recently noticed that no matter what time you start Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego, even if it's morning time fast forwards to 5:15 pm after you are done in the stables which means this mission is meant to be done late in the day and even if you get there a little after such as 6pm or so then time just pauses until after the rabbit hunt at which point it becomes night. Who Is Not Without Sin fast forwards to 5pm and stays at that until after you rescue Swanson from the train so it seemed perfect to drop off Swanson and then do Hosea's mission right there which also means the gang are left scouting Blackwater for less time than if I did Exit Pursued the next day.

Then after you return to camp after taking the legendary bear pelt to the trapper Grimshaw approaches you with Spines of America at the end of which you return to camp with Hosea so it makes sense to sleep then as it will likely be late.

One issue may be doing Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3 the day after Seans party because I'm not sure if there would be enough time left as if you stayed for the full party, which I like to do, you'd have to sleep until noon. I don't like visiting Downes at night because it seems stupid him doing his crops at that time but I'm going to test it out now to see if there is enough time after waking up at noon. It may also make sense to do this here because at this point if you hang around camp Dutch can approach you and tell you he needs you to help Strauss. If there isn't enough time I will have to do Social Call first instead.

Regarding Hosea's dialogue. I honestly think that this is just Arthur knowing that Hosea would be the one dealing with the bonds and when he speaks to Dutch this is just him asking again.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

jimmyoneshot
15 minutes ago, Psycho18 said:

I am experimenting with chapter 2 right now. To see if the narrative flows smoothly.

Me too. This god damn chapter ha. I've just been testing the above order and when I get back after Spines of America Dutch approaches me with his dialogue about needing to help Strauss out literally as soon as I'm off my horse whereas previously he's only ever done this if I've hung around camp so I'm wondering if that will happen every time when doing this order. This may mean I'll have to do Money Lending 1, 2 and 3 on the day I rescue Sean before I rescue Sean.

It kind of makes sense because Javier's home robbery mission is unlocked by completing The First Shall Be The Last and during that mission Arthur is doing his cough which means he's already been infected.

4 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Me too. This god damn chapter ha. I've just been testing the above order and when I get back after Spines of America Dutch approaches me with his dialogue about needing to help Strauss out literally as soon as I'm off my horse whereas previously he's only ever done this if I've hung around camp so I'm wondering if that will happen every time when doing this order. This may mean I'll have to do Money Lending 1, 2 and 3 on the day I rescue Sean before I rescue Sean.

It kind of makes sense because Javier's home robbery mission is unlocked by completing The First Shall Be The Last and during that mission Arthur is doing his cough which means he's already been infected.

I found a problem with the mission order. Bounty hunting Good honest Snake Oil is locked after American at Rest. The game told me that Arthur was noticed by the law and the town. I was in Valentine after the fight got a bath and room. the next day, I went to do the bounty hunting at 10 am. So, I have to do the bounty hunting before American at rest, or later in the game.

Edited by Psycho18

jimmyoneshot

My FINAL (I hope) list for Chapter 2 based on in-game tutorials, dialogue, journal entries and Dutch approaching you and telling you what to do next etc:-

1. Polite Society Valentine Style
  2. Americans At Rest
  3. Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil
  4. Who Is Not Without Sin
  5. Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego 
  6. Spines Of America
  7. Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3
  8. The First Shall Be The Last
  9. Paying A Social Call
  10. A Quiet Time
  11. Blessed Are The Meek
  12. We Loved Once and True 1, 2 and 3
  13. Bounty Mission - Ellie Ann Swan
  14. Pouring Forth Oil 1, 2 and 3
  15. A Fisher of Men
  16. Pouring Forth Oil 4
  17. An American Pastoral Scene
  18. The Sheep & The Goats
  19. A Strange Kindness
2 minutes ago, Psycho18 said:

I found a problem with the mission order. Bounty hunting Good honest Snake Oil is locked after American at Rest. The game told me that Arthur was noticed by the law and the town. I was in Valentine after the fight got a bath and room. the next day, I went to do the bounty hunting at 10 am. So, I have to do the bounty hunting before American at rest, or later in the game.

Yep I know what you mean but I always walk back to camp and sleep and then do Good Honest Snake Oil the next day as well as checking out Valentine. That way you can also get the dialogue from the gunsmith who talks about the Arthur and Tommy fight.

And Good Honest Snake Oil gives me the money I need for the horse that doesn't look like a pony ha.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:09 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

1. The New South
  2. American Distillation
  11. Magicians For Sport

- Americans At Rest

- Good Honest Snake Oil

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- Spines Of America

Good list for Chapter 3. My only point would be is that Sadie's mission is meant to be done at the start of the chapter after Dutch's New South mission. Also when Arthur states they're being hunted in this mission I am sure he is referring to the Pinkertons and also being wanted for the bloodbath recently caused in Valentine. Arthur also mentions they do more than hunting(meaning crime) as Sadie points out she used to hunt with her husband. Also this mission has what looks like the first encounter with the Lemoyne Raiders.

Edited by Dan_1983

@jimmyoneshot

Thanks for all your hard work (and OCD!). I personally can't justify doing Hosea's missions before The First Shall be the Last, but I'm sure either way is good. 

Urban Legends

My sequence is so upside down compared to yalls... Sometimes you have to do it wrong to experience all the intricacies. I did tons before going to see the Greys for the first time.. Arthur keeps saying how this family feud is Dutch and Hosea deal which has me pushing those missions back.. 

51 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

@jimmyoneshot

Thanks for all your hard work (and OCD!). I personally can't justify doing Hosea's missions before The First Shall be the Last, but I'm sure either way is good. 

Same here. I usually do The First Shall be the Last after Americans at Rest. 

The only problem is that Swanson is at Sean's party, but Flatneck station is not far from the camp and we all know the Reverend in his state has a mind of his own.

1 hour ago, Dan_1983 said:

The only problem is that Swanson is at Sean's party, but Flatneck station is not far from the camp and we all know the Reverend in his state has a mind of his own.

The party doesn’t actually start as soon as you bring Sean back does it? I remember my first play through it didn’t start until I got back to camp after doing a few other missions in between. I got to camp earlier in the day and time skipped ahead to evening for the party.

4 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

I just do Who is not Without Sin before The First Shall be the Last, but I always do them the same in-game day (day after Polite Society and Americans at Rest).

15 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

I just do Who is not Without Sin before The First Shall be the Last, but I always do them the same in-game day (day after Polite Society and Americans at Rest).

I'm just trying to figure out why Swanson would be at Sean's party if you don't rescue him before rescuing Sean. 

On 1/6/2019 at 1:09 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

I have noticed something just now related to Hosea and that hunting trip and his follow up mission:-

One thing i have always based my orders on is the tutorials that the game gives us. For example I could never put anything that has a tough fight in it before Americans At Rest because that has the fighting tutorial in it and Who Is Not Without Sin has a fight against a pretty tough guy if you've just started the game yet doesn't provide a tutorial for the fight which shows it should be after Americans At Rest. Most of the time the tutorials are pretty foolproof and explain every little thing, especially if it is the first time you are doing the thing they are related to.

Now in the missions 'Who Is Not Without Sin' and 'Spines of America' you use the binoculars, and depending on whichever of these missions you do first this would likely be the first time Arthur has used the binoculars as part of a mission (when he used them in chapter 1 that doesn't count as he just used them in a cutscene).

The thing is in Spines of America the tutorial literally tells you how to select the binoculars in the items menu, equip them and then how to actually aim them with L2. So it explains it as if this is the first time the player has used the binoculars (here's a video of it with the exact time it occurs set):-

Now in 'First Shall Be The Last' however, there is a tutorial but it DOES NOT tell you how to aim the binoculars only how to select and equip them. If this was the first time the player had used the binoculars wouldn't they tell you how to aim them too like they did in the other tutorial? Here's a video showing it again with the correct time set:-

Now this may just be me overthinking things as it may just be a mistake but it sure looks like to me that the top video is meant to be the first time you use the binoculars. Note also that the tutorials go like this no matter what order you do the missions in.

This has got me thinking and rethinking about testing this out next:-

- Americans At Rest

- Sleep at camp

- Good Honest Snake Oil  - You NEED to do this to be able to afford a proper horse with Hosea (Arthur starts the Chapter with around £30 - £40, this mission gets you £50 and selling Hosea's horse gets you $65 so that's overall $150 - $155 and the standardbred costs $150)

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego (choose the hunt bear option)

- Return to camp and Grimshaw will tell you to meet Hosea at Emerald Ranch

- Spines of America

- Sleep at camp

Although that seems like a crazy long time to leave Sean but the above videos have got me thinking.

I just did The First Shall Be The Last and I got the tutorial on how to use binoculars at the bottom. 

I'm sure rescusing Sean will be at the height of Arthur's priorities. 

Same with rescuing Micah from jail despite what a prick he is. 

9 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

I'm just trying to figure out why Swanson would be at Sean's party if you don't rescue him before rescuing Sean. 

He wouldn't, which is why I do Swanson's mission before saving Sean.

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
3 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

I just did The First Shall Be The Last and I got the tutorial on how to use binoculars at the bottom. 

I'm sure rescusing Sean will be at the height of Arthur's priorities. 

Same with rescuing Micah from jail despite what a prick he is. 

Did it tell you to use L2 to zoom with them though Dan or was it the same as in the above video? That was what I was alluding to earlier - the tutorial in Spines of America is slightly more detailed than the one is first shall be the last.

It certainly makes sense to rescue Sean the day after Americans At Rest to me too and this is personally what I prefer but I'm not sure that is the order they planned the missions in if that makes sense. I often wonder if we were meant to do Polite Society and then go back to camp after returning the guys horse and then do the hunting trip and Spines of America before even going to Valentine but that too seems crazy because then the 2 things Arthur was told about at the start of the chapter - the gang being in Valentine and Swanson being at the station are ignored. Plus the gang are just standing in the Saloon then.

There is one key thing to notice in this Chapter and it's so easy to miss or not even think about. Check out the last 25 - 30 seconds of the following video:-

That is without question Arthur's famous cough, literally, and you know what that means - Money Lending and Other Sins Part 3 MUST come before this mission and because this mission is unlocked by completing The First Shall Be The Last then in theory that should come before it too because otherwise technically you could do this Javier Home Robbery mission without doing Money Lending and Other Sins 3 and Arthur would be coughing for no apparent reason.

The next issue is after completing Spines of America Arthur talks about this being his first time at Emerald Ranch whether you've been there before or not - "...stole a wagon, sold it to some rat Hosea met at some odd place called Emerald Ranch" which means Spines of America must go before Money Lending and Other Sins Parts 1 and 2 (where you collect a debt from Emerald Ranch).

So that puts Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego and Spines of America before The First Shall Be The Last. Now here's the other thing - when you get back to camp after completing these two missions Dutch is waiting for you and he straight away walks right up to you and tells you that he wants you to help out Strauss with his money lending which means that is likely next, which fits in with the coughing that I spoke about above.

Those are the reasons for me starting with this order:-

DAY 1

Polite Society Valentine Style
Americans At Rest

DAY 2
Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil
Who Is Not Without Sin
Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego 

DAY 3
Spines Of America

DAY 4
Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3
The First Shall Be The Last

I don't like it because the gang are left for 3 days but Arthur does say that they are scouting plus during Chapter 1 the gang left John out in the cold for 2 days before rescuing him.

21 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

He wouldn't, which is why I do Swanson's mission before saving Sean.

I agree with this. It's either a bug or a pretty clear indicator that Swanson's mission was meant to be done before Sean's.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

It told me to use L2. Yet when I did Spines of America, I got no instructions to do so only the zoom in prompt when using them. 

I've always noticed the cough from Arthur during Javier's home robbery mission hence why it does makes sense to do it after beating up Thomas Downes. 

jimmyoneshot
1 minute ago, Dan_1983 said:

It told me to use L2. Yet when I did Spines of America, I got no instructions to do so only the zoom in prompt when using them. 

I've always noticed the cough from Arthur during Javier's home robbery mission hence why it does makes sense to do it after beating up Thomas Downes. 

I'll check it again. You've got me thinking ha. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

The next issue is after completing Spines of America Arthur talks about this being his first time at Emerald Ranch whether you've been there before or not - "...stole a wagon, sold it to some rat Hosea met at some odd place called Emerald Ranch" which means Spines of America must go before Money Lending and Other Sins Parts 1 and 2 (where you collect a debt from Emerald Ranch).

So that puts Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego and Spines of America before The First Shall Be The Last. Now here's the other thing - when you get back to camp after completing these two missions Dutch is waiting for you and he straight away walks right up to you and tells you that he wants you to help out Strauss with his money lending which means that is likely next, which fits in with the coughing that I spoke about above.

I'm not following here. Why does Arthur mentioning Emerald Ranch in his journal automatically mean that Hosea's missions come before The First Shall be the Last?

Couldn't the order just as easily be

Day 1

Polite Society

Americans at Rest

Day 2

Who is not Without Sin

The First Shall be the Last

Day 3

Paying a Social Call

Good Honest Snake Oil

Day 4

Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego

Spines of America

Day 5

Money Lending and Other Sins 

jimmyoneshot
1 hour ago, Dan_1983 said:

Strange bud. I've just tried first shall be the last first now and all I get is this i.e. no notification to zoom in with L2:-

There are only 2 'steps' in the tutorial as you can see here but if I do Spines 1st I get 3 steps like this guy does here:-

Can you do a video like that of first shall be last by any chance?

Edited by jimmyoneshot

On 1/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, Brgrabs said:

Thanks @Psycho18

I really wish there was a way to get the Tiger Stripes Mustang earlier. Far and away my favorite horse. 

Well, one can apparentlydo some glitch to access those areas early-also apparently does not affect the overall game.

jimmyoneshot

To be honest boys I think this whole binoculars thing is a non-issue. I honestly think it's either a mistake in the game that they haven't told you to press L2 during this mission or that they just expected you to know it by then and then in that case it was mistakenly added into Spines too when it wasn't needed. I've noticed if you whip out your binoculars at any point outside of this mission, as long as you haven't used them yet, it tells you in the top left to press L2 to use them. It's not worth changing the order based on that one thing and leaving the gang for soooo long when in my opinion the only order that really makes sense is this one:-

DAY 1

Polite Society Valentine Style
Americans At Rest

DAY 2
Bounty Mission - Good Honest Snake Oil
Who Is Not Without Sin

The First Shall Be The Last

DAY 3
Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego 

DAY 4
Spines Of America

DAY 5
Money Lending & Other Sins 1, 2 and 3

DAY 6
Paying A Social Call
A Quiet Time

DAY 7
Blessed Are The Meek

DAY 8
We Loved Once and True 1, 2 and 3
Bounty Mission - Ellie Ann Swan

DAY 9
Pouring Forth Oil 1, 2 and 3
A Fisher of Men
Pouring Forth Oil 4

DAY 10
An American Pastoral Scene

DAY 11
The Sheep & The Goats
A Strange Kindness

• Like 1

Ya the tutorials are one thing I haven't got too worked up about in trying to determine mission order. I did have a question though @jimmyoneshot: is there a reason you no longer do Paying a Social Call after Sean's party?  I thought I remembered you mentioning that Bill and John are still in the same clothes from the night before. hi

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
1 minute ago, Brgrabs said:

Ya the tutorials are one thing I haven't got too worked up about in trying to determine mission order. I did have a question though @jimmyoneshot: is there a reason you no longer do Paying a Social Call after Sean's party?  I thought I remembered you mentioning that Bill and John are still in the same clothes from the night before. hi

I think I was mistaken about that bud. The clothes seem to be random each day on most characters which is silly when they are in certain clothes one minute and then in different ones in the cutscene for the mission but I guess that's just the game being gamey.

I think it makes more sense to do the tutorial style mission Exit Pursued after the party followed by Spines of America and then when you get back after Spines Dutch should approach you and tell you he needs you to help Strauss which makes it best to do Money Lending 1,2 and 3 the next day. Then Social call the next and as soon as that is finished this will unlock A Quiet Time/We Loved Once and True but I think now that A Quiet Time seems best first because as you walk past Dutch's tent he will shout you if you get close.

A Quiet Time leads straight into Blessed Are The Meek in my opinion and then after you get back Grimshaw should approach you and tell you the girls have spotted Mary Gillis about so you can then check on Arthur's table to get the letter and do that mission.

The rest is pretty straightforward.