4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

@jimmyoneshot

You were right about placing "A Quiet Time" before "Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego". I am replaying chapter 2 for the final time. All missions fit the narrative. Thanks, for the suggestion about getting the trapper information from Pearson. The suggestion work.

Final Chapter 2 mission list

U- Polite Society, Valentine Style:  Noon, Intro to Valentine, and the dialogue

JE--- American at Rest: Late Afternoon, Intro to fighting, and the town will notice Arthur. My first bath and rent a hotel room. Steal a horse and get your horse from camp. 

BH-- Good Honest, Snake Oil: Day, sheriff's dialogue

RS—Who is without Sin: Noon, Intro to poker, the first time for stopping a witness from alerting law, and the camp dialogue.

JE—The First Shall be the Last: morning it’s a long ride.

Sean’s Party

K--- Paying A Social Call:  Early Afternoon, make a little money for the camp.

BH-- Ellie Anne Swan--- Late afternoon or evening. I am in Valentine after the last mission. Sheriff's dialogue about keeping the peace in town and not posting bounty poster. 

D--- A Quiet Time: Late Afternoon, the dialogue fits the narrative.  I do not want Dutch sitting in a tent for a long time.

H—Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego: Early Morning, intro to hunting, camping, crafting, and cooking. Dialogue fits the narrative.

Hunting with Charles.

H--- Spines of America: Late Afternoon, Intro to Emerald Ranch, house robbery, and coach robbery. Dialogue fits the narrative.

LS--- Money Lending and other Sins 1-3:  late morning

ML--- We loved Once and True 1:  read the letter before bed

LS—Money Lending and other Sins 4:  late morning, 2nd bath and change clothes.

ML:  We Loved Once and True 2-3: late morning, Dialogue fits the narrative

Shop robbery (Valentine)

House robbery (Javier)

M--- Blessed Are the Meek: afternoon,  I am not a big fan of Micah. The way Arthur feels about Micah, I do not think he would be in a hurry to rescue him.

JM--- Pouring Forth Oil 1-3: early morning

A— A Fisher of Men:  early morning, dialogue fits the narrative

JM—Pouring Forth Oil 4: late afternoon dialogue fits the narrative

M- An American Pastoral: (Scene)  afternoon

JM—The Sheep and the Goats: late morning

D—A Strange Kindness:  late morning

Edited by Psycho18
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, GroveStGTAV said:

I was planning to complete saving sean mission after saving micah misson. Because i want to see every gang member in the party.

This can be possible?

In theory yes, but I don't believe Micah shows up for Sean's party even if you save him from Strawberry first, since he doesn't go back to Horseshoe Overloook.

Ok so I did (Polite Society, Valentine Style, Americans at Rest & Who is Not without Sin) like everybody here suggested, yeah it seems like the official order but I didn't really enjoy the final result, it's a lot for Arthur to do in one day, after that big fight at the saloon and then he gets in another fight and running around saving Swanson seems like to much. I prefer doing this viceversa. So I tried something different  gotta say I broke the rule of "Polite Society, Valentine Style" to be the intro mission so here it is:

Day One

- Hang around the camp, maybe some hunting near Horseshoe Overlook.

01. [RS] Who is not worth without sin

- I head to Valentine on my own. Like Hosea said earlier the boys are already there. 

02. [JE] Americans at rest.

- Is late night now, I head back to camp, interact with the gang  (Dutch will tell Arthur to go to Blackwater). I sleep until midnight  (it's a long ride).

Day Two 

03. [JE] The first shall be last.

- Head back to camp, Sean's Party!

Day Three 

- Uncle still has his hangover from last night so I wake him up.

04. Polite society, Valentine style.

- Arthur will mention to the girls he already was in Valentine and he got into a fight.

- Uncle talks about the sheriff and how Arthur can help them.

05. Good honest snake oil.

That's all for now.

jimmyoneshot
9 hours ago, GroveStGTAV said:

I was planning to complete saving sean mission after saving micah misson. Because i want to see every gang member in the party.

This can be possible?

It's not something I've tried before but it would be interesting to see if it works. You can do all of Micah's missions before even going for Sean but it just depends on whether or not he will return for the party.

1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

It's not something I've tried before but it would be interesting to see if it works. You can do all of Micah's missions before even going for Sean but it just depends on whether or not he will return for the party.

Are you sure An American Pastoral Scene unlocks if you haven't done The First Shall be the Last??

jimmyoneshot
5 hours ago, Psycho18 said:

@jimmyoneshot

You were right about placing "A Quiet Time" before "Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego". I am replaying chapter 2 for the final time. All missions fit the narrative. Thanks, for the suggestion about getting the trapper information from Pearson. The suggestion work.

Final Chapter 2 mission list

U- Polite Society, Valentine Style:  Noon, Intro to Valentine, and the dialogue

BH—Good Honest Snake Oil:  Morning, Sheriff Dialogue. You can steal the horse from the last mission or get your horse from camp.

JE--- American at Rest: Late Afternoon, Intro to fighting, and the town will notice Arthur. My first bath and rent a hotel room.

RS—Who is without Sin: Noon, Intro to poker, the first time for stopping a witness from alerting law, and the camp dialogue.

BH-  Ellie Anne Swan: Later Afternoon, the sheriff will keep peace in the town, no more bounty posters.

JE—The First Shall be the Last: morning it’s a long ride.

Sean’s Party

K--- Paying A Social Call:  Early Afternoon, make a little money for the camp.

D--- A Quiet Time: Late Afternoon, the dialogue fits the narrative.  I do not want Dutch sitting in a tent for a long time.

H—Exit Pursued By a Bruised Ego: Early Morning, intro to hunting, camping, crafting, and cooking. Dialogue fits the narrative.

Hunting with Charles.

H--- Spines of America: Late Afternoon, Intro to Emerald Ranch, house robbery, and coach robbery. Dialogue fits the narrative.

LS--- Money Lending and other Sins 1-3:  late morning

ML--- We loved Once and True 1:  read the letter before bed

LS—Money Lending and other Sins 4:  late morning, 2nd bath and change clothes.

ML:  We Loved Once and True 2-3: late morning, Dialogue fits the narrative

Shop robbery (Valentine)

House robbery (Javier)

M--- Blessed Are the Meek: afternoon,  I am not a big fan of Micah. The way Arthur feels about Micah, I do not think he would be in a hurry to rescue him.

JM--- Pouring Forth Oil 1-3: early morning

A— A Fisher of Men:  early morning, dialogue fits the narrative

JM—Pouring Forth Oil 4: late afternoon dialogue fits the narrative

M- An American Pastoral: (Scene)  afternoon

JM—The Sheep and the Goats: late morning

D—A Strange Kindness:  late morning                                                                                      

Glad it worked bud. Seems to work for me every time too.

Good order. I like the way our orders all reflect the way we feel about Arthur's personality.

I know I originally said that A Quiet Time should go before Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego due to Arthur and Dutch talking about Hosea working on selling the bonds at the start of A Quiet Time (I thought this was Dutch letting Arthur know for the first time that Hosea is the one selling the bonds) but after I've watched it a few times it seems that Dutch is saying this as if Hosea is STILL working on selling the bonds and when Arthur asks Hosea how he is getting on with selling them in Exit Pursued it is likely that Arthur just knows that Hosea would be the one doing this. Plus it seems to me that Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego is a tutorial mission for horses but should also only obviously be done after you have enough money for a decent horse.

When coming up with my own list the first few missions still cause me problems. I'm certain Polite Society is meant to be first because Uncle basically guides you around town and tells you about places and it certainly needs to go before Americans at Rest because after that bar fight the main saloon is shut down yet in Polite Society the girls go into the saloon to pick up men. I'm also sure Americans At Rest needs to go some point before Who Is Not Without Sin because it acts as a fighting tutorial and Who Is Not Without Sin has a tough fight in it that has no tutorial. And Who is not without sin needs to go some point before The First Shall Be The Last because Swanson is at Sean's party. so the order for those main missions (bounty and side missions excluded) pretty much has to be as we have said:-

- Polite Society Valentine Style

- Americans At Rest

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- The First Shall Be The Last

I see what you mean about Good Honest Snake Oil being an early mission to do too. My problem is still that damn horse. You see I'm certain Arthur wouldn't have brought his horse during Polite Society Valentine style because he wouldn't know he'd need it plus he borrows the other guys horse so obviously his own horse is not meant to be there.

However if you keep hold of the horse you borrow or steal another horse for that matter they will become your secondary horse which doesn't make the dialogue with Hosea in exit pursued make any sense because at the start of that he says you should buy a new horse and when Arthur points at his own horse (the one you get in chapter 1) and says "I kinda like this horse" and Hosea's replies "there's nothing wrong with having 2 horses" and Arthur woulsd already have 2 horses if he'd kept the one he borrowed or stole another because you can't sell them until after Exit Pursued.

Therefore I'm convinced that Arthur would return the guys horse but the thing is AS SOON as he does this you get a notice in the top left saying "Mission blips covering a large area have to be searched to find your companion's location" which seems to be the game suggesting that you do Americans At Rest Next. You can see what I mean here:-

And after Americans At Rest the Good Honest Snake Oil mission is unavailable until you actually leave town and come back meaning that can't be done directly after. So I'm thinking in detail the start could look something like this:-

- Polite Society Valentine Style (am and midday)

- Americans At Rest (pm)

- Get bath in hotel and stay the night then walk back to camp and get your horse (the hotel owner does the dialogue about the fight you had in the hotel earlier and then says "what do you, need a bath perhaps?" both of which make sense here because Arthur will be covered in mud so it's as if he has noticed that) OR walk back to camp straight away and sleep there

- Hunting for Pearson to get his dialogue, chores etc (reason being Who Is Not Without Sin fast forwards to or resets to 5pm as soon as you start the first cutscene in it no matter what time you get there)

- Who Is Not Without Sin

- Sleep (it will now be around 6pm or later but The First Shall Be The Last can't be done at night and fast forwards to day time when you get there if you go at night)

- The First Shall Be The Last (I don't like leaving Javier and Charles there for long but there isn't much choice based on the above plus they have a tent and are meant to be 'scouting' anyway)

- Party until it finishes at 5am and then sleep until noon

- Explore Valentine and do Good Honest Snake Oil (a good reason to do this here is because Arthur hasn't actually done any missions that give you money yet and he knows this will whereas he wouldn't know if Paying A Social Call would bring any money as that just happens by chance when Kieran tells them about the money in the chimney)

OR I'm thinking you could do Good Honest Snake Oil and explore Valentine in the morning on the 2nd day instead of hunting for Pearson which kind of makes sense because it was unlocked after the very first mission.

I think the best time to do Good Honest Snake Oil is the day after Sean's party, immediately after Paying a Social Call.  The next day you can do Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego. This way you have lots of $$ for a good horse and saddle/stirrups, and you aren't just meandering into Valentine on a hunting day.

jimmyoneshot
47 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

Are you sure An American Pastoral Scene unlocks if you haven't done The First Shall be the Last??

Not completely sure to be honest. I have always done it near last before the sheep and the goats and I always like to rescue Micah early due to Dutch ordering you to.

2 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

I think the best time to do Good Honest Snake Oil is the day after Sean's party, immediately after Paying a Social Call.  The next day you can do Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego. This way you have lots of $$ for a good horse and saddle/stirrups, and you aren't just meandering into Valentine on a hunting day.

Great point bud. I like there to be an actual mission available when Arthur goes to town rather than him just mooching there when other stuff needs to be done too.

Thinking about slotting it in the day after doing Polite Society and Americans At Rest after walking back to camp and sleeping.

1 minute ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Not completely sure to be honest. I have always done it near last before the sheep and the goats and I always like to rescue Micah early due to Dutch ordering you to.

Ya I have a feeling it doesn't, in one of my saves I purposely did all available missions before The First Shall be the Last and I never got an option for American Pastoral Scene.  The guide also says that Good Honest Snake Oil is a requirement for unlocking American Pastoral Scene though, and I can't remember if I had done it yet on that save.  

Definitely agree with you on the order the missions should be done in the beginning though, I think I posted something a couple weeks ago identical to your first several missions. 

Day 1 AM: chores, camp dialogue, item requests (Dutch, Hosea)

Day 1 12PM: Hunt for big game meat (to maintain perfect weight for next 4 days), Thomas Downes introduction (since next time you are in town youll do Polite Society and then Americans at Rest, and if you haven't talked to Downes yet you'll miss the opportunity)

Day 1 3:30PM: item requests in camp (Marybeth and sometimes Susan), camp dialogue, cook and season your hunting meat, interaction between Dutch and Molly where he tells Arthur to 'look for the boys in Valentine

Day 1 6:45PM: Polite Society and a quick visit to Coulter Ridge for father building house scene

Day 1 8:45PM: Americans at Rest

Day 1 11:00PM: hotel for bath and rest 

Day 2 7:45AM: Arrive back at camp, chores, camp dialogue, hunt for more meat, stranger interactions with Snake Bite guy and pick up All That Glitters treasure map

Day 2 Before 4PM: Who is not Without Sin

Day 3 AM: chores, camp dialogue, follows by Americans at Rest.

jimmyoneshot
14 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

Ya I have a feeling it doesn't, in one of my saves I purposely did all available missions before The First Shall be the Last and I never got an option for American Pastoral Scene.  The guide also says that Good Honest Snake Oil is a requirement for unlocking American Pastoral Scene though, and I can't remember if I had done it yet on that save.  

Definitely agree with you on the order the missions should be done in the beginning though, I think I posted something a couple weeks ago identical to your first several missions. 

Day 1 AM: chores, camp dialogue, item requests (Dutch, Hosea)

Day 1 12PM: Hunt for big game meat (to maintain perfect weight for next 4 days), Thomas Downes introduction (since next time you are in town youll do Polite Society and then Americans at Rest, and if you haven't talked to Downes yet you'll miss the opportunity)

Day 1 3:30PM: item requests in camp (Marybeth and sometimes Susan), camp dialogue, cook and season your hunting meat, interaction between Dutch and Molly where he tells Arthur to 'look for the boys in Valentine

Day 1 6:45PM: Polite Society and a quick visit to Coulter Ridge for father building house scene

Day 1 8:45PM: Americans at Rest

Day 1 11:00PM: hotel for bath and rest 

Day 2 7:45AM: Arrive back at camp, chores, camp dialogue, hunt for more meat, stranger interactions with Snake Bite guy and pick up All That Glitters treasure map

Day 2 Before 4PM: Who is not Without Sin

Day 3 AM: chores, camp dialogue, follows by Americans at Rest.

Funny the way we notice the same things. Like I noticed that after you deal with Jimmy Brooks it's a good time to check out the house building father as he is right there nearby ha.

One thing that I noticed though. When Arthur writes his journal after visiting Downes later for his debt he says something like "I think he was the guy who split up the fight in Valentine". I can't remember the exact thing so would need to check again but anyway he basically writes it as though that is the only time he has seen him so for this reason I never approach him. Although talking to him does kind of make sense because when you speak to him after the fight Arthur sarcastically says "well you're just full of charity aren't you" and as he's beating him up in the debt collecting mission he says "we ain't your idea of charity" which kind of fits together.

The only other thing I don't really like is leaving Polite Society and Americans at Rest until night because Arthur and Uncle go to a store which would likely only be open in the day and if you look at how the saloon is during Americans at Rest it seems like it is meant to be daytime as at night during A Quiet Time it is way more busy plus when Arthur has the fight after getting thrown through the window the streets are packed and people are going about their business like they would in the daytime.

Other than that it seems great.

15 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

You’re the man Jimmy 👍

Have you had much time testing chapter 3 yet?

Ha thanks Niko. I've been a bit busy with some other stuff so have been off it the last couple of days and also made a stupid mistake of turning autosave off and not saving my game after I redid chapter 2 which is the reason I took a break from it tbh ha

3 hours ago, Shinola Gamer said:

Ok so I did (Polite Society, Valentine Style, Americans at Rest & Who is Not without Sin) like everybody here suggested, yeah it seems like the official order but I didn't really enjoy the final result, it's a lot for Arthur to do in one day, after that big fight at the saloon and then he gets in another fight and running around saving Swanson seems like to much. I prefer doing this viceversa. So I tried something different  gotta say I broke the rule of "Polite Society, Valentine Style" to be the intro mission so here it is:

Day One

- I head to Valentine on my own. Like Hosea said earlier the boys are already there. 

- Is late night now, I head back to camp, interact with the gang  (Dutch will tell Arthur to go to Blackwater). I sleep until midnight  (it's a long ride).

Day Two 

Day Three 

- Arthur will mention to the girls he already was in Valentine and he got into a fight.

That's all for now.

I think it's best to do what you enjoy Shinola.

I can only ever squeeze in Polite Society and Americans At Rest in the first day anyway so I don't do Who is Not Without Sin until the next day ever so that splits it out a bit. It would be a bit much for Arthur to have 2 big fights in one day too now that you mention it ha.

I also think though that it makes sense to do Americans At Rest at some point before Who Is Not Without Sin because it acts as a tutorial for fighting whereas in Who Is Not Without Sin there is a pretty tough fight but no tutorial for it whereas there likely would be if it was meant to be done first.

As you said though it's whatever order you enjoy the most that is best.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

@jimmyoneshot

I know what you're saying re: the night time and the store being opened or closed. Thing is, I have found that if a mission is supposed to be done at a certain time it will actually reset or fast forward the mission to that time of day. It's almost like there are 5 'times' of day during RDR2: early morning (before 9) morning (9-12) afternoon (12-4) evening (4-7) and night (7-6AM).  I justify doing Polite Society in the evening because whether you start at 5PM or 6:45PM it ends at 7:15, which actually makes sense considering Arthur would more than likely go to the saloon for a drink afterwards and (typically) saloons are busier at night. I realize all the townsfolk are outside afterwards, but I just tell myself they heard all that noise and came running out to see what the commotion was all about. Also, if you start Americans at Rest at 8:30-9PM it shoulder finish by 10:30 or 11, which gives you enough time for a bath and 5 hours sleep at the hotel!

jimmyoneshot
3 hours ago, Shinola Gamer said:

Day One

Day Two 

Day Three 

That's all for now.

Actually your order has just gave me an idea that I want to try out:-

- Americans At Rest

- Who is not without sin

- Sleep

- Paying a Social Call

- Exit Pursued By A Bruised Ego

This would allow you to only have to leave Javier and Charles overnight rather than for 2 nights. My only problem with the above is 'Polite Society Valentine Style' has dialogue in it which heavily implies it is meant to be the first mission.

But I'll try this out now and see how it flows.

2 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Actually your order has just gave me an idea that I want to try out:-

- Americans At Rest

- Who is not without sin

- Sleep

- Paying a Social Call

This would allow you to only have to leave Javier and Charles overnight rather than for 2 nights. My only problem with the above is 'Polite Society Valentine Style' has dialogue in it which heavily implies it is meant to be the first mission.

But I'll try this out now and see how it flows.

Just seems so odd to leave Uncle passed out for days on end at the wagon. You also run this risk of Marybeth accosting you in camp saying she just got back from town and was almost caught stealing, which would be... Odd if when you start Uncle's mission they specifically say they've been cooped up for weeks and it's been ages since they've seen other people.

He's in Valentine by the stables asking for donations. It's just a unique interaction available anytime before Americans at Rest, but not after.

jimmyoneshot
45 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

Just seems so odd to leave Uncle passed out for days on end at the wagon. You also run this risk of Marybeth accosting you in camp saying she just got back from town and was almost caught stealing, which would be... Odd if when you start Uncle's mission they specifically say they've been cooped up for weeks and it's been ages since they've seen other people.

Yep.

- Americans At Rest

- Who is not without sin

- Sleep

- Paying a Social Call

I have just tested this out now and there are a few things that don't sit well with me:-

1. When you do Americans At Rest first as above it made sense to me for Arthur to hitch his horse outside the saloon or on the hitching posts opposite the saloon, however, because the fight takes place outside the saloon when you do this as soon as the mission is over the horse is suddenly magically hitched all the way down the end of the street against the horse stables/blacksmith place (obviously for the game to make space for the fight). Sure you could hitch your horse here and walk to the saloon before the mission but that wouldn't make sense or you could hitch the horse there and visit some shops on the way to the saloon but Arthur hasn't had the shopping tutorial yet which is part of Polite Society Valentine Style so we must assume that Rockstar would've wanted us to do that tutorial before going shopping.

2. When you do Polite Society Valentine Style the girls say they are "bored out of their minds" and are "cooped up" being the reason they want to go to Valentine which doesn't make much sense when they have just been partying. They also tell you they are bored if you speak to them right at the start of the chapter and are all in the same place where they appear in the cutscene when the mission starts which further always made me think this mission should be done first. Also Arthur likely wouldn't be as upset with uncle lying around like he is in the cutscene if this was the day after a party til 5am as in that case Uncle surely would say it's because they were all up all night which is a valid excuse. And there is no mention of Karen sleeping with Sean which surely would be the topic of conversattion the day after.

3. Again, although if you do Americans At Rest before Polite Society Valentine Style Uncles dialogue also mentions the bar fight you had in Americans At Rest the rest of the dialogue implies that this is the first time Arthur has been to Valentine and I think this line was put in there just in case people did the missions in that order

18 minutes ago, Brgrabs said:

He's in Valentine by the stables asking for donations. It's just a unique interaction available anytime before Americans at Rest, but not after.

You can actually do it after Americans At Rest too but his times being there are a bit strange. When you do Arthur gets angry at him for stopping the fight and says it was none of his business.

Everybody is making good points about chapter 2. Especially; jimmyoneshot and  Brgrabs. I decided to replay chapter 2 and edit my mission list. I still like doing bounty hunting early so I can make money. I put Good honest snake oil after American at rest. I steal horse after I sleep in the hotel, and go back to camp get my horse. I leave the stolen horse in Valentine. When I follow my mission list, I usually have close to  $300 to spend at the stables during Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego. I am not a big fan of spending money early in the game, so I get the free grey warhorse in the stables. The free horse is decent enough go have until I find a horse in the wild or buy a horse in chapter 3.

@jimmyoneshot

A Quiet Time could be placed before or after Exit pursued by a bruised ego. The game allows players to place missions in a certain order of the player's choosing. After playing chapter 2 many times, I now prefer to place A Quiet Time before Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego, because when you go hunting with Hosea, Arthur and Hosea talk about the bar fight, John, and the bail bonds. 

Edited by Psycho18
  • Like 1

@Psycho18

My only problem with doing Quiet Time before Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego is that, realistically, directly after drinking with Lenny one would assume you save Micah from imminent hanging rather than go on a 2 day hunting trip with Hosea. It just kind of breaks the narrative. I suppose you could wait until after Blessed are the Meek to do Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego, but then you run into the problem of Hosea sitting in your camp for days and days in the same spot calling out your name every 5 minutes.  

Assuming you do A Quiet Time and then Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego, does anyone remember the dialogue between Hosea and Arthur when you can either ask about Sean or ask about Lenny and Micah?  

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
4 hours ago, Psycho18 said:

Everybody is making good points about chapter 2. Especially; jimmyoneshot and  Brgrabs. I decided to replay chapter 2 and edit my mission list. I still like doing bounty hunting early so I can make money. I put Good honest snake oil after American at rest. I steal horse after I sleep in the hotel, and go back to camp get my horse. I leave the stolen horse in Valentine. When I follow my mission list, I usually have close to  $300 to spend at the stables during Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego. I am not a big fan of spending money early in the game, so I get the free grey warhorse in the stables. The free horse is decent enough go have until I find a horse in the wild or buy a horse in chapter 3.

@jimmyoneshot

A Quiet Time could be placed before or after Exit pursued by a bruised ego. The game allows players to place missions in a certain order of the player's choosing. After playing chapter 2 many times, I now prefer to place A Quiet Time before Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego, because when you go hunting with Hosea, Arthur and Hosea talk about the bar fight, John, and the bail bonds. 

Yep you too. In fact you've convinced me to always do Good Honest Snake Oil the day after Polite Society and Americans At Rest before going to Swanson.

After walking back to camp and sleeping after the above, my second day in fact now consists of exploring Valentine, including activating the stranger mission (although I don't like actually fighting any gunslingers until after the 'official' quickdraw tutorial in 'We Loved Once and True') and doing Good Honest Snake Oil and then going to Swanson. This is good because the Swanson mission always sets time to 5pm no matter what time you get there when you start it so it means you have from 6am until 5pm to explore Valentine and do everything there such as buying an item from each shop, buying a paper, watching a show and having a bath.

This is also good because it lets the gunsmith and the hotel owner do their dialogue where they mention what Arthur did in the first 2 missions and the hotel owner actually suggests Arthur get a bath at the end of that dialogue so it fits. The saloon will also be unavailable at this point as it will be all boarded up after the fight so it makes sense that Arthur would go into the other saloon for a quick drink and meet the stranger.

I have also recently realised that 'The First Shall Be The Last' stops time at 6pm if it reaches that meaning if you go there at 5:30pm time will carry on as normal but is then capped and stops at 6pm so you can take all day on the third day hunting for Pearson, checking out Limpany, activating the other nearby stranger missions on the way to Sean etc.

I used to go with the free horse all the time as I thought it was part of the mission in case you had no money ha. But since I realised it is a pre-order bonus I have since always avoided it and gone for the standardbred.

I know what you mean about Exit Pursued but I just like to rescue Micah as soon as possible simply because it is what Dutch ordered and Arthur follows his orders closely at this point in the game. But it's all down to preference I'd say.

jimmyoneshot
3 hours ago, Brgrabs said:

@Psycho18

My only problem with doing Quiet Time before Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego is that, realistically, directly after drinking with Lenny one would assume you save Micah from imminent hanging rather than go on a 2 day hunting trip with Hosea. It just kind of breaks the narrative. I suppose you could wait until after Blessed are the Meek to do Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego, but then you run into the problem of Hosea sitting in your camp for days and days in the same spot calling out your name every 5 minutes.  

Assuming you do A Quiet Time and then Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego, does anyone remember the dialogue between Hosea and Arthur when you can either ask about Sean or ask about Lenny and Micah?  

I agree. The Hosea mission and the Swanson mission are annoying to me because the way I see it Polite Society Valentine Style is meant to be first and as soon as you return the horse, which the game encourages you to do, it also encourages you to do Americans At Rest next in which you find out Sean needs help.

So the logical thing here would obviously be to go to Sean straight away or at least the next morning HOWEVER:-

1. Swanson is at Sean's party no matter what meaning he must've had to have been rescued before the Sean mission
  2. The Swanson mission sets time to 5pm when you get there meaning even if you did it in the morning it would be late after it's finished
  3. Sean's mission fast forwards time to morning if you go there at night but also fast forwards time to night (9pm) after it has finished as you get closer to camp ready for Sean's party which takes place at night

On top of all this if you return to camp before or after rescuing Swanson Hosea will be sitting there ready to go on his trip with you. And most players would likely do this too when first playing the game. So did Rockstar really want us to go on a hunting trip while Sean is at risk with only enough money to buy a pony-like horse. If they did they could've at least somehow left us with a horse after Polite Society Valentine Style and that way we could do Polite Society, Good Honest Snake Oil and Americans At Rest all in the same day and then that plus selling Hosea's horse would give us enough money for the standardbred.

I'm pretty sure the dialogue with Hosea changes based on things you've done. There are always 2 options to ask him about 'Sean' or 'Micah' an these always change based on whether you've rescued Sean/Micah.

jimmyoneshot you're right after doing it my way I realize Polite Society, Valentine Style has to be the first mission  no matter what so I'm gonna try this way:

Day One

- American's at rest

Day Two

- Good honest snake oil

- Who is not without sin

Day Three 

- The first shall be the last

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
1 minute ago, Shinola Gamer said:

jimmyoneshot you're right after doing it my way I realize Polite Society, Valentine Style has to be the first mission  no matter what so I'm gonna try this way:

Day One

- American's at rest

Day Two

- Good honest snake oil

- Who is not without sin

Day Three 

- The first shall be the last

That's basically my current way bud so I agree 👍

jimmyoneshot
21 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

How long does it take to run back to camp from Valentine? 

If you run about 2 hours in game I'd guess bud.

Just with the The Noblest of Men, and a Woman quest, do you find it weird to travel all the way back up into the snow to find Flaco Hernandez so soon after moving away from the mountains? It seems like Arthur wouldn’t want to go anywhere near that place but I guess it’s no big deal really. 

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
1 hour ago, NikosUncle said:

Just with the The Noblest of Men, and a Woman quest, do you find it weird to travel all the way back up into the snow to find Flaco Hernandez so soon after moving away from the mountains? It seems like Arthur wouldn’t want to go anywhere near that place but I guess it’s no big deal really. 

I know what you mean. It seems crazy. I've always been half tempted to leave a lot of these collectibles and stranger missions to John considering how some of them can't be finished until the epilogue but Noblest of Men can only be done by Arthur.

The Hosea hunting mission is up thereabouts and so is Javier's home robbery but they are nowhere near up that far. Would've been good if there was an actual mission that left us in that area.

There are also a lot of dinosaur bones up in the Grizzlies and part 2 of Albert Mason's Arcadia  For Amateurs quest but I can't think of any feasible reason why Arthur would be up there besides hunting maybe.

Urban Legends

Ch. 2 start 

Who is without sin

Polite society

Good honest snake oil

Pursued by a bruised ego

Americans At Rest

5 hours ago, Brgrabs said:

@Psycho18

You make a good point. Remember, in chapter 1 Arthur gave Dutch the bail bonds. In chapter 2, it fits the narrative when Arthur asks Dutch first about the bail bonds (A Quiet Time). Dutch will say Hosea is handling the bail bonds. In Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego, Arthur asks Hosea about the bail bonds. Hosea will say the bonds are still hot and they cannot move the bonds yet. Hosea does have two leads.  This is why I like to do A quiet time before going on a hunting trip with Hosea. I never thought about that before,  Blessed are the Meek might work before the hunting trip with Hosea. Hosea has been sitting at camp ever since the end of the uncle mission. In the cutscene, for Exit Pursued by a bruised ego, Arthur did say he can get away from the camp for a couple days.  It has been a bad couple weeks for the gang, the snow, Swanson, bar fight, shootout for Sean, shootout with ODrisscolls, and maybe the shootout for Micah.

I'm liking the idea of doing Good Honest Snake Oil first thing on Day 2.  I've always found myself getting to Swanson around noon anyway, so I have lots of time to spare before actually needing to start Who is Not Without Sin by 5pm.  

So is the best order for optimal dialogue/RP/narrative:

Day 1

Polite Society

Americans at Rest

Day 2

Good Honest Snake Oil

Who is not Without Sin

Day 3

The First Shall be the Last

Day 4

Paying a Social Call (what time does this mission end?)

A Quiet Time (PM)

Day 5

Blessed are the Meek

Exit, Pursued by a Bruised Ego

Day 6

Money Lending and other Sins (1 and 2)

Spines of America

Day 7

We Loved Once and True

Money Lending and Other Sins

--- the rest Day 8-10