4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

7 minutes ago, Sutliff said:

I also dont open that letter, because I want a break from the storyline and it leaves John to roam around the camp.

I've never had that problem with Javier and John..... One problem I did have was I went to John early in the morning to start PFO 1 and it fast forwarded my time to 8pm.  So I thought that mission was suppose to be at night and did my initial playthrough like that.  I might have gotten lucky and timed it right where javier left his spot.

I also had an issue where somebody was talking about how Mac died in camp and I didnt complete Fisher of Men yet, which was a bummer.

Yep it's a shame that opening the letter triggers PFO 1 otherwise we could just technically open the letter and then do We Loved Once and True 2 and 3 whenever we feel like.

That's weird. I always start that mission at 9:30 am because I've noticed when you start it at that time one of the oil trucks is in Valentine which is miles easier to steal. What I do is start Noblest of Men in the saloon straight after We Loved Once and True because Arthur ends up right near there and all his business is done and he would likely need a drink. Then I stay at the hotel and do Emmet Granger and Flaco Hernandez. I really can't think of another time that Arthur would ride all this way when he has other business to deal with. I then camp out before returning to camp at about 9am and Grimshaw should approach to tell you John is looking for you.

If it wasn't for Javiers interruptions I might have been convinced to leave his mission til chapter 3 too.

That's strange considering Arthur doesn't even tell anyone about Mac being dead for a while. The first time he mentions it is to Charles during Strange Kindness as far as I can recall - "bastards told me they'd killed Mac, said it right in front of Jack". Maybe they just assume he's dead.

TheParadox420

This is the table I have been working on in regards to Chapter 1, by including some points made on the topic in this thread...

My MAIN ISSUE is in regards to "Old Friends" and "The Aftermath Of Genesis": 

I just played through the missions and it does seem to make sense for "Aftermath" to come AFTER "Old Friends" due to the intensity of the scene as well as what Dutch says prior to the mission "Deer Piss and Rabbit sh*t".

What are your thoughts and please edit the table as you see fit. 

CHAPTER I - COLTER

[X] - Outlaws from the West

12 AM

The gang arrives in Colter at this time, the VERY FIRST FIST FIGHT happens in Sadie's barn.

[X] - Enter, Pursued By A Memory

7 AM

The gang left John out in the cold for 2 days before rescuing him.

- Camp Time (1) -*

6 AM

Day begins with "We have been running for weeks" Journal entry narration

speak to whichever members of the gang are around camp

[04] – Old Friends

The Mission cuts to night when you hogtie Kieran which may mean that you should begin this mission during the evening/late afternoon, which would also make sense for doing "Aftermath" beforehand. 

Doing Old Friends before Aftermath of Genesis gives you extra dialogue, not only with Charles during the latter quest, but also in camp with Kieran himself and all your gang members.

The Aftermath of Genesis should be done after Old Friends because you’ll notice that in the cabin Molly is doing her makeup in the next room and outside Javier is standing by the fire outside the next cabin and both of them are in the exact same position when you get back from doing Genesis first. If you do Old Friends first, they’ll have changed what they’re doing when you get back so it looks better, plus the Old Friends mission marker is closer so it’s only natural do go there.

During Aftermath the weather has cleared up a bit and Charles mentions this. If you do Old Friends after the weather goes bad again.

- Camp Time (2) -*

speak to whichever members of the gang are around camp: If you have done Old Friends this allows for a lot of dialogue with members in regards to the train robbery. 

[P] – The Aftermath of Genesis

Doing Genesis before Old Friends also makes sense: at the start of Old Friends in the cutscene Dutch says "you might fancy living on deer piss and rabbit sh*t" which implies that Arthur has hunted the deer because when you do Genesis Pearson says the only food they have is "a few cans of food and a rabbit" i.e. no deer.

Title Screen reads "A Few Days Later"

[X] – Who the Hell is Leviticus Cornwall?

9 AM

[X] – Eastward Bound

7 AM - 4 PM

Gang begins move to Horseshoe Overlook

(4 PM) (Dutch sends Micah and Lenny to scout ahead, Micah says he'll buy Lenny a whisky which sounds like a direct tie-in to the Strawberry incident)

When you arrive at camp Strauss says he is going to head into town to see if he can strike up some business

Edited by TheParadox420

6 hours ago, TheParadox420 said:

This is the table I have been working on in regards to Chapter 1, by including some points made on the topic in this thread...

I just played through the missions and it does seem to make sense for "Aftermath" to come AFTER "Old Friends" due to the intensity of the scene as well as what Dutch says prior to the mission "Deer Piss and Rabbit sh*t".

CHAPTER I - COLTER

12 AM

The gang arrives in Colter at this time, the VERY FIRST FIST FIGHT happens in Sadie's barn.

7 AM

- Camp Time (1) -*

6 AM

[04] – Old Friends

The Mission cuts to night when you hogtie Kieran which may mean that you should begin this mission during the evening/late afternoon, which would also make sense for doing "Aftermath" beforehand. 

Doing Old Friends before Aftermath of Genesis gives you extra dialogue, not only with Charles during the latter quest, but also in camp with Kieran himself and all your gang members.

The Aftermath of Genesis should be done after Old Friends because you’ll notice that in the cabin Molly is doing her makeup in the next room and outside Javier is standing by the fire outside the next cabin and both of them are in the exact same position when you get back from doing Genesis first. If you do Old Friends first, they’ll have changed what they’re doing when you get back so it looks better, plus the Old Friends mission marker is closer so it’s only natural do go there.

During Aftermath the weather has cleared up a bit and Charles mentions this. If you do Old Friends after the weather goes bad again.

- Camp Time (2) -*

speak to whichever members of the gang are around camp: If you have done Old Friends this allows for a lot of dialogue with members in regards to the train robbery. 

Doing Genesis before Old Friends also makes sense: at the start of Old Friends in the cutscene Dutch says "you might fancy living on deer piss and rabbit sh*t" which implies that Arthur has hunted the deer because when you do Genesis Pearson says the only food they have is "a few cans of food and a rabbit" i.e. no deer.

9 AM

[X] – Eastward Bound

7 AM - 4 PM

(4 PM) (Dutch sends Micah and Lenny to scout ahead, Micah says he'll buy Lenny a whisky which sounds like a direct tie-in to the Strawberry incident)

When you arrive at camp Strauss says he is going to head into town to see if he can strike up some business

Good layout and detail Paradox. To be honest I really think Old Friends and Aftermath of Genesis are interchangeable but much like you I prefer doing Old Friends first for a few reasons:-

- After Enter, Pursued By A Memory the game tells you to do 2 things in a notification in the top left - "Go to (B) to speak with Bill" and "Go to (P) to speak with Mr. Pearson" in that order

- There is extra bit of dialogue in aftermath of Genesis where Arthur and Charles talk about Kieran and what happened in Old Friends if you have done that beforehand whereas there is no extra dialogue in Old Friends if you do Aftermath of Genesis first

- You can speak to Kieran in the barn after doing Old Friends first whereas you can't if you do Aftermath of Genesis first in which case the chance to do this is lost

- The weather is still bad in Old Friends but is starting to clear up in Aftermath of Genesis and Charles comments on this. As we know the weather getting better allows the gang to leave so it looks strange if you do Genesis and then Friends because that means the weather will get better and then suddenly back to worse again

- At the start of Old Friends Dutch says that he doesn't want to stay here living on "deer piss and rabbit sh*t" which he perhaps wouldn't say if Arthur and Charles had hunted some deer because the gang live off animals in general throughout the game so this likely means they had't been hunting yet. Charles even says after they have hunted the deer that "there should be enough meat here to keep us all fed for a few days"

EDIT - I've just reread you're post and noticed you pretty much mentioned all that I said anyway ha

Edited by jimmyoneshot
  • Like 1

I know it's been mentioned before but I'm trying to figure out where to slot in the serial killer confrontation in my Chapter 3 order. The first map piece is easy as it's near Valentine, I grab the 2nd when I ride from doing Emmet Granger to Flaco Hernandez in Chapter 2 as it's on the way and the third is right next to the 2nd coach robbery that you do for Alden in Chapter 3.

As some people have mentioned though it feels weird going back to Valentine as Arthur after the Cornwall shootout and the bank robbery there but it feels even weirder leaving it to John due to how many years have passed. I suppose the Sheriff and the law in town might not know who Arthur is personally seeing as the Cornwall shootout was with Cornwall's men and lawmen that he brought himself and in the bank robbery Arthur was either covered up most of the time or on his way out of there and any lawmen that were chasing he killed.

21 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I know it's been mentioned before but I'm trying to figure out where to slot in the serial killer confrontation in my Chapter 3 order. The first map piece is easy as it's near Valentine, I grab the 2nd when I ride from doing Emmet Granger to Flaco Hernandez in Chapter 2 as it's on the way and the third is right next to the 2nd coach robbery that you do for Alden in Chapter 3.

As some people have mentioned though it feels weird going back to Valentine as Arthur after the Cornwall shootout and the bank robbery there but it feels even weirder leaving it to John due to how many years have passed. I suppose the Sheriff and the law in town might not know who Arthur is personally seeing as the Cornwall shootout was with Cornwall's men and lawmen that he brought himself and in the bank robbery Arthur was either covered up most of the time or on his way out of there and any lawmen that were chasing he killed.

I watched the cutscene again and Im thinking its not a bad idea for John to do it.  John says "A lot of folk gone missing over the past few years".  Arthur also says this line.  It seems to work better with John, however it would work well with Arthur if you dont have a problem with exploring the map before the end of chapter 2, and slotting in American Dreams after the bounties with Ella Anne Swan.  The third way is the way you mentioned, which isnt a bad way to do it either.  In that way though, I would do American Dreams before the Valentine bank robbery.  Arthur does not have his face covered when leaving the bank if you do the job quietly.  If you do it with Explosives, then you will kill Sheriff Malloy.

Edited by Sutliff

On 9/7/2019 at 12:15 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

Yep it's a shame that opening the letter triggers PFO 1 otherwise we could just technically open the letter and then do We Loved Once and True 2 and 3 whenever we feel like.

That's weird. I always start that mission at 9:30 am because I've noticed when you start it at that time one of the oil trucks is in Valentine which is miles easier to steal. What I do is start Noblest of Men in the saloon straight after We Loved Once and True because Arthur ends up right near there and all his business is done and he would likely need a drink. Then I stay at the hotel and do Emmet Granger and Flaco Hernandez. I really can't think of another time that Arthur would ride all this way when he has other business to deal with. I then camp out before returning to camp at about 9am and Grimshaw should approach to tell you John is looking for you.

If it wasn't for Javiers interruptions I might have been convinced to leave his mission til chapter 3 too.

That's strange considering Arthur doesn't even tell anyone about Mac being dead for a while. The first time he mentions it is to Charles during Strange Kindness as far as I can recall - "bastards told me they'd killed Mac, said it right in front of Jack". Maybe they just assume he's dead.

That camp conversation was with Uncle and Bill about Mac and Davey, but I think your right and they did assume Mac was dead, but it was weird the first time I heard.

I like doing Noblest of men right after Paying a Social call with the same mindset, Arthur needs a drink after almost dying and hes not comfortable going back to the other saloon yet.  You might want to test out what time you can get the PFO1 cutscene done and not have Javier there.  Im not sure what time Javier leaves his spot to eat/guard camp, but I know he does.  I've only done PFO2 at night because I thought time sped up.  You can see in the HUD of Javier's mission is locked in this clip.

Edited by Sutliff

2 hours ago, Sutliff said:

I watched the cutscene again and Im thinking its not a bad idea for John to do it.  John says "A lot of folk gone missing over the past few years".  Arthur also says this line.  It seems to work better with John, however it would work well with Arthur if you dont have a problem with exploring the map before the end of chapter 2, and slotting in American Dreams after the bounties with Ella Anne Swan.  The third way is the way you mentioned, which isnt a bad way to do it either.  In that way though, I would do American Dreams before the Valentine bank robbery.  Arthur does not have his face covered when leaving the bank if you do the job quietly.  If you do it with Explosives, then you will kill Sheriff Malloy.

Yep I think you're right, it really does seem better to finish it with John based on the cutscene. I really can't see Arthur going back to the actual sheriff's office in Valentine after all that has happened there. Maybe he'd go back to the town itself but I really doubt he'd stroll into the sheriff's office. John on the other hand is a clean guy in the epilogue and does some bounty missions with Sadie for the law so it kind of fits. I also feel a bit weird exploring the whole map so early because when Arthur goes to those same places in the story he really acts like it is his first time there. Saint Denis for example.

It also looks really strange the way Arthur says "I found that fella you were looking for" and "A lot of folk disappeared over the last few years" because as far as I know there is no way of finding out that the Sheriff is after this guy and also how would Arthur know that folk have been disappearing for the past few years if he has only just got to the area where the game takes place in the last month or so? John however only says the 2nd line and that makes more sense as he's been living not too far from there for a few years.

Murder map pieces 1 and 3 are right next to where Arthur passes. 1 is near valentine and 3 is right next to where you do Alden Coach Robbery number 2 which is south east of braithwaite manor. I can't see any in game reason why John would be down there so I'm thinking Arthur could get those 2 pieces and John could get piece number 3 which is near Strawberry.

4 hours ago, Sutliff said:

That camp conversation was with Uncle and Bill about Mac and Davey, but I think your right and they did assume Mac was dead, but it was weird the first time I heard.

I like doing Noblest of men right after Paying a Social call with the same mindset, Arthur needs a drink after almost dying and hes not comfortable going back to the other saloon yet.  You might want to test out what time you can get the PFO1 cutscene done and not have Javier there.  Im not sure what time Javier leaves his spot to eat/guard camp, but I know he does.  I've only done PFO2 at night because I thought time sped up.  You can see in the HUD of Javier's mission is locked in this clip.

Ye the main reason I like to do Noblest after We Loved Once and True is that Arthur spawns in town after WLOAT outside the church and by this point I have done all the missions in town and bounties because I get all of the bounties done before a quiet time as I always thought Arthur might feel too embarrassed to go back to the sheriff after A Quiet Time and also that it would be strange for the sheriff not to mention Arthur's arrest if he goes back again.

So basically because Arthur seems to be at his most emotional after WLOAT so I think he would need a drink then and the fact that he's right by and there is nothing left to do in town so he'd have to just ride back to camp if Noblest wasn't left.

I also like to do Social Call in the day followed by Quiet Time because Social Call unlocks Quiet Time directly and Quit Time is a night mission so it just feels right.

Ye I think the problem is the gang member side missions are just so random. I'll have to test it out a bit more though.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye the main reason I like to do Noblest after We Loved Once and True is that Arthur spawns in town after WLOAT outside the church and by this point I have done all the missions in town and bounties because I get all of the bounties done before a quiet time as I always thought Arthur might feel too embarrassed to go back to the sheriff after A Quiet Time and also that it would be strange for the sheriff not to mention Arthur's arrest if he goes back again.

So basically because Arthur seems to be at his most emotional after WLOAT so I think he would need a drink then and the fact that he's right by and there is nothing left to do in town so he'd have to just ride back to camp if Noblest wasn't left.

I also like to do Social Call in the day followed by Quiet Time because Social Call unlocks Quiet Time directly and Quit Time is a night mission so it just feels right.

Ye I think the problem is the gang member side missions are just so random. I'll have to test it out a bit more though.

In A Quiet Time, it's the Deputy that arrests you if you allow Arthur to be caught. The Sheriff is no where to be seen. 

I usually avoid arrest in that mission as no one takes me alive hahaha.

Good_Fundies,

I'm interested in knowing how far you got into my list and any opinions on it so far.

I'm also interested in how far Jimmy has gotten in Chapter 3 and everyone for that matter who wants to talk about chapter 3 and the rest of the chapters.

Edited by Sutliff

On 9/8/2019 at 12:52 PM, TheParadox420 said:

CHAPTER I - COLTER

12 AM

7 AM

- Camp Time (1) -*

6 AM

[04] – Old Friends

- Camp Time (2) -*

9 AM

[X] – Eastward Bound

7 AM - 4 PM

I always do Aftermath of Genesis before Old Friends. Here are a few reasons why.

-We take control of Arthur at 6am and if we go straight into Old Friends, the clock jumps to 4pm. A 10 hour jump.

-I think after the events of finding Colter, setting up camp, shooting O'Driscolls, rescuing Sadie and then John... Arthur would be more concerned about the food situation and feeding the camp.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:08 AM, Dan_1983 said:

In A Quiet Time, it's the Deputy that arrests you if you allow Arthur to be caught. The Sheriff is no where to be seen. 

I usually avoid arrest in that mission as no one takes me alive hahaha.

Ye true.

I know what you mean ha. But there is some dialogue with Lenny which sort of indicates that getting arrested is 'canon'.

I agree with that @Dan_1983   

It also just seems to fit nicely with the narrative. 

The ONLY reason why I put Old Friends before is due to the unique dialogues and even checking up on Kieran (but we have already established that R* does this for immersion if players do a certain mission first). 

Like @jimmyoneshot I'm trying to create a movie-like play-through series. So I guess what I could do is just edit in those extra bits of dialogue. and do the order of Aftermath being first with Old Friends following.

quick question though - do you do Old Friends the following day or directly after?  

15 hours ago, Sutliff said:

Good_Fundies,

I'm interested in knowing how far you got into my list and any opinions on it so far.

I'm also interested in how far Jimmy has gotten in Chapter 3 and everyone for that matter who wants to talk about chapter 3 and the rest of the chapters.

Hey bud. Long post coming up ha. I've been testing stuff in Chapter 3 in depth. Looking at some stuff I've never thought of such as selecting the restart mission option from the menu which in some missions causes the mission to restart from a specific time e.g. Preaching Forgiveness resets to 8am whereas most missions just carry on from whatever time you restarted them. I've made a few dialogue videos from Sodom too. There are 3 different groups of conversation you can have with either Bill, Lenny or Karen and they give clues about the order. As far as I'm concerned the main mission order in chapter 3 is straightforward based on a few things:-

- New South should be first as it's the only mission available from the start and Arthurs dialogue in it suggests he hasn't been to Rhodes before this which he would have if he'd done Female Suffrage

- Female Suffrage is too awkward to ignore so should come next. It also seems like this is the first time Arthur has encountered the Lemoyne Raiders based on the way he acts in front of them in this mission

- If you do COTL 1, 2 and 3 before American Distillation then as soon as you complete American Distillation Hosea is selling the moonshine that you have literally just stolen i.e. Advertising becomes active. This makes no sense

- COTL 1 is also the only chance you get to use the actual deputy badge and this gives Arthur a real reason to be on the Grays property so it seems strange to not use this

- American Distillation is next because nothing else is available until it is done and the COTL missions shouldn't come next as mentioned above

- Honest Mistake is unlocked by AD and Molly talks to you as if she has just seen you and Dutch ride into camp like you do at the end of AD so this should be next. Uncle also talks about the things that you have done "fishing and playing lawman" and Bill says that the gang has only been down here 5 minutes, both of which indicate this should be done quite early

- COTL 1, 2 and COTL 3 should come before Preaching Forgiveness because Beau Gray directs you to the abandoned battlefield in 3. Arthur goes to the same battlefield in Preaching Forgiveness so he likely would have mentioned that he'd been there before if he had done Preaching Forgiveness beforehand yet he doesn't. He does however mention he has been there before during PF as long as he's done COTL 3 beforehand

- Preaching Forgiveness should come after COTL 1, 2 and 3 and before Advertising because of the way Arthur says he's just looking for this hillbilly gold which indicates he has just finished the COTL missions as well as the fact that during the ride out Arthur has no option to mention the events of Advertising where he got into a shootout with the raiders and instead only mentions them harassing him and Sadie

- Sodom is unlocked by Preaching and can technically be done before any of the remaining missions however the dialogue in the ride to the bank is important here and it is always the same no matter what you have or haven't done. Firstly Bill mentions that the Grays are looking for extra security and Arthur says "I'm sure they are" (3:53 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wLyvxNj6o&feature=youtu.be&t=233). This indicates that Advertising and Joys have been done because during Joys Sean says that the Grays are looking for extra security after what happened in the saloon.

- Also during the Sodom dialogue if you speak to Karen she asks Arthur what is going on with the 2 families and after a few lines he says that it's Dutch and Hosea's thing and that "so far it's been a lot of fancy talking from him and Hosea while I do all the dirty work" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrU9ORRpKIs&t). The only "fancy talk" that Hosea does in relation to the Grays/Braithwaites is during Advertising and Joys when he has meetings with the Grays which indicates these missions must have been done beforehand. Before that point he is pretty uninvolved.

- So based on the above Sodom should come at some point after Advertising, Joys and Horse flesh

- So Advertising, Joys and Horse Flesh should all come next in that order for obvious reasons i.e. Hosea goes straight to the Braithwaites after Advertising and it's silly to leave him there overnight and Dutch told you that John was going to the Grays so it makes sense to do that as soon as Joys is done

- After Horse Flesh is finished Arthur will spawn on the dock and Magicians For Sport will be unlocked. If you walk past Dutch who is right next to the dock he will shout you over to start this so this should come next

- Now you can do Sodom and Friends In Very Low Places. I'd say they are interchangeable but I prefer to do Sodom next because it's been available for a long time

- After Sodom, Blessed Are The Peacemakers will unlock however completing both Peacemakers and Friends in Very Low Places unlocks Short Walk which disables the Bill and Sean side missions. Friends In Very Low Places unlocks these side missions so it is best to do that next and leave Peacemakers til last after you have done all the side missions etc. Peacemakers also doesn't have anyone shouting you over so it's not an annoyance and isn't urgent

- After Peacemakers the rest of the missions flow one after the other

So this:-

A New South

Further Question of Female Suffrage

American Distillation

An Honest Mistake

The Course of True Love 1-2

The Course of True 3

Preaching Forgiveness as he Went

Advertising the New American Art 1-2

The Joys of Tobacco

Horse Flesh for Dinner

Magicians of Sport

Sodom? Back to Gomorrah

Friends in very Low Places

Blessed are the Peacemakers

A Short Walk in a Pretty Town

Bloods, Feuds, Ancient and Modern

The Battle of Shady Belle

Edited by jimmyoneshot

5 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye true.

I know what you mean ha. But there is some dialogue with Lenny which sort of indicates that getting arrested is 'canon'.

There's actually dialogue for both outcomes.

Arthur mentions that it all got a little messy to Lenny if arrested.

But if he escapes he asks Lenny where he ended up.

4 hours ago, TheParadox420 said:

I agree with that @Dan_1983   

It also just seems to fit nicely with the narrative. 

The ONLY reason why I put Old Friends before is due to the unique dialogues and even checking up on Kieran (but we have already established that R* does this for immersion if players do a certain mission first). 

Like @jimmyoneshot I'm trying to create a movie-like play-through series. So I guess what I could do is just edit in those extra bits of dialogue. and do the order of Aftermath being first with Old Friends following.

quick question though - do you do Old Friends the following day or directly after?  

I usually talk to Dutch and Hosea after Aftermath of Genesis as they talk about sending someone to the Adler Ranch to bury Sadie's husband. Arthur also mentions to both that he caught a couple of deer and Dutch then tells him to get ready for the O'Driscoll camp. That is when I do Old Friends 

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

I usually talk to Dutch and Hosea after Aftermath of Genesis as they talk about sending someone to the Adler Ranch to bury Sadie's husband. Arthur also mentions to both that he caught a couple of deer and Dutch then tells him to get ready for the O'Driscoll camp. That is when I do Old Friends 

Still with all the reasons TheParadox mentioned it does make a lot more sense to do Old Friends first.

34 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Still with all the reasons TheParadox mentioned it does make a lot more sense to do Old Friends first.

Not necessarily, but opinions vary. I think it makes more sense to feed the camp first, given the harsh weather and desperate circumstances the gang are under.

10 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Hey bud. Long post coming up ha. I've been testing stuff in Chapter 3 in depth. Looking at some stuff I've never thought of such as selecting the restart mission option from the menu which in some missions causes the mission to restart from a specific time e.g. Preaching Forgiveness resets to 8am whereas most missions just carry on from whatever time you restarted them. I've made a few dialogue videos from Sodom too. There are 3 different groups of conversation you can have with either Bill, Lenny or Karen and they give clues about the order. As far as I'm concerned the main mission order in chapter 3 is straightforward based on a few things:-

- New South should be first as it's the only mission available from the start and Arthurs dialogue in it suggests he hasn't been to Rhodes before this which he would have if he'd done Female Suffrage

- Female Suffrage is too awkward to ignore so should come next. It also seems like this is the first time Arthur has encountered the Lemoyne Raiders based on the way he acts in front of them in this mission

- If you do COTL 1, 2 and 3 before American Distillation then as soon as you complete American Distillation Hosea is selling the moonshine that you have literally just stolen i.e. Advertising becomes active. This makes no sense

- COTL 1 is also the only chance you get to use the actual deputy badge and this gives Arthur a real reason to be on the Grays property so it seems strange to not use this

- American Distillation is next because nothing else is available until it is done and the COTL missions shouldn't come next as mentioned above

- Honest Mistake is unlocked by AD and Molly talks to you as if she has just seen you and Dutch ride into camp like you do at the end of AD so this should be next. Uncle also talks about the things that you have done "fishing and playing lawman" and Bill says that the gang has only been down here 5 minutes, both of which indicate this should be done quite early

- COTL 1, 2 and COTL 3 should come before Preaching Forgiveness because Beau Gray directs you to the abandoned battlefield in 3. Arthur goes to the same battlefield in Preaching Forgiveness so he likely would have mentioned that he'd been there before if he had done Preaching Forgiveness beforehand yet he doesn't. He does however mention he has been there before during PF as long as he's done COTL 3 beforehand

- Preaching Forgiveness should come after COTL 1, 2 and 3 and before Advertising because of the way Arthur says he's just looking for this hillbilly gold which indicates he has just finished the COTL missions as well as the fact that during the ride out Arthur has no option to mention the events of Advertising where he got into a shootout with the raiders and instead only mentions them harassing him and Sadie

- Sodom is unlocked by Preaching and can technically be done before any of the remaining missions however the dialogue in the ride to the bank is important here and it is always the same no matter what you have or haven't done. Firstly Bill mentions that the Grays are looking for extra security and Arthur says "I'm sure they are" (3:53 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4wLyvxNj6o&feature=youtu.be&t=233). This indicates that Advertising and Joys have been done because during Joys Sean says that the Grays are looking for extra security after what happened in the saloon.

- Also during the Sodom dialogue if you speak to Karen she asks Arthur what is going on with the 2 families and after a few lines he says that it's Dutch and Hosea's thing and that "so far it's been a lot of fancy talking from him and Hosea while I do all the dirty work" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrU9ORRpKIs&t). The only "fancy talk" that Hosea does in relation to the Grays/Braithwaites is during Advertising and Joys when he has meetings with the Grays which indicates these missions must have been done beforehand. Before that point he is pretty uninvolved.

- So based on the above Sodom should come at some point after Advertising, Joys and Horse flesh

- So Advertising, Joys and Horse Flesh should all come next in that order for obvious reasons i.e. Hosea goes straight to the Braithwaites after Advertising and it's silly to leave him there overnight and Dutch told you that John was going to the Grays so it makes sense to do that as soon as Joys is done

- After Horse Flesh is finished Arthur will spawn on the dock and Magicians For Sport will be unlocked. If you walk past Dutch who is right next to the dock he will shout you over to start this so this should come next

- Now you can do Sodom and Friends In Very Low Places. I'd say they are interchangeable but I prefer to do Sodom next because it's been available for a long time

- After Sodom, Blessed Are The Peacemakers will unlock however completing both Peacemakers and Friends in Very Low Places unlocks Short Walk which disables the Bill and Sean side missions. Friends In Very Low Places unlocks these side missions so it is best to do that next and leave Peacemakers til last after you have done all the side missions etc. Peacemakers also doesn't have anyone shouting you over so it's not an annoyance and isn't urgent

A New South

American Distillation

An Honest Mistake

The Course of True 3

The Joys of Tobacco

Horse Flesh for Dinner

Magicians of Sport

Sodom? Back to Gomorrah

Actually played Chapter 3 like that today and it flows very well.

38 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Actually played Chapter 3 like that today and it flows very well.

It does doesn't it Dan. I would say you can slot in Friends in Very Low Places in before Sodom if you want. That way I think you can technically unlock the Sean, Alden and Hector coach robberies and so you could do a few of those before doing Sodom which will unlock Bills coach robbery. Means there is a bit less to do after Sodom then but it's all optional I think as there isn't really any dialogue that suggests sodom should come before friends in very low places or vice versa.

Mysterious hero
12 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

A New South

American Distillation

An Honest Mistake

The Course of True 3

The Joys of Tobacco

Horse Flesh for Dinner

Magicians of Sport

Sodom? Back to Gomorrah

Good list, but one problem with it is that Arthur will be wearing a badge during "An Honest Mistake" and "Preaching Forgiveness As He Went" if you haven't done "Advertising, The New American Art".

14 minutes ago, Mysterious hero said:

Good list, but one problem with it is that Arthur will be wearing a badge during "An Honest Mistake" and "Preaching Forgiveness As He Went" if you haven't done "Advertising, The New American Art".

Thanks hero. Yep the badge in general is just silly but it has to be worn unfortunately. It would be much better if it was an equipable clothing item that got removed after chapter 3.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

A New South

American Distillation

An Honest Mistake

The Course of True 3

The Joys of Tobacco

Horse Flesh for Dinner

Magicians of Sport

Sodom? Back to Gomorrah

Great list man. I mentioned before I like having Advertising, The New American Art straight after American Distillation. I’ve looked back on the missions and now agree with you that American Distillation should come before The Course Of True Love. This is the best mission order for Chapter 3 in my opinion, all the missions flow in a great way. 

On 9/12/2019 at 7:49 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

A New South

American Distillation

An Honest Mistake

The Course of True 3

The Joys of Tobacco

Horse Flesh for Dinner

Magicians of Sport

Sodom? Back to Gomorrah

I like your list, I know we talked about Preaching Forgiveness and Advertising the New Art before so no need to rehash that, but I'd like to talk about Magicians for Sport.  I like doing that mission between Advertising and The Joys of Tobacco because Arthur talks to Charles about being a deputy and Dutch would probably want to get to Trelawny relatively soon.  I would like to do MFS as soon as I got done with COTL 3, but a later conversaton with Charles in the mission talks about how Arthur is familar with the Braithwaite Manor, so I think doing it after Advertising works best.  Other than that, on to Chapter 4?

Sorry to go back to this but can we be like a jury and all agree that Polite Society should be the first mission for chapter2?

Reason 1- When you take control of Arthur at Horseshoe Overlook every player would most likely interact with every member at the camp to get their dialogue, why skip Uncle?

2- Karen, Mary-Beth and Tilly all say they’re bored and could do with getting out for abit when you interact with each of them, this and the positions they’re all in flow perfectly with the Polite Society cutscene.

3- The whole mission just acts like an intro mission. A slow wagon ride into town, the very simple helping of the coach driver, honor/dishonor info, general store tutorial. The simplicity of it all and the info given to the player wouldn’t work as well if it was done later especially if you’ve all ready done a massive shootout mission like in The First Shall be The Last. Plus when you ride into Valentine there’s so many people going about their day and there’s a lot happening down the Main Street like men sawing up wood or passing blanks of wood up to the second story of the building etc and I’m sure R* wanted this to be an immersive experience as you ride into the town for the first time during this mission.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NikosUncle said:

Sorry to go back to this but can we be like a jury and all agree that Polite Society should be the first mission for chapter2?

Reason 1- When you take control of Arthur at Horseshoe Overlook every player would most likely interact with every member at the camp to get their dialogue, why skip Uncle?

2- Karen, Mary-Beth and Tilly all say they’re bored and could do with getting out for abit when you interact with each of them, this and the positions they’re all in flow perfectly with the Polite Society cutscene.

3- The whole mission just acts like an intro mission. A slow wagon ride into town, the very simple helping of the coach driver, honor/dishonor info, general store tutorial. The simplicity of it all and the info given to the player wouldn’t work as well if it was done later especially if you’ve all ready done a massive shootout mission like in The First Shall be The Last. Plus when you ride into Valentine there’s so many people going about their day and there’s a lot happening down the Main Street like men sawing up wood or passing blanks of wood up to the second story of the building etc and I’m sure R* wanted this to be an immersive experience as you ride into the town for the first time during this mission.

If we are a jury, we'll be a hung jury.  I think my placement of Polite Society is the deepest of anyone's order if I'm not mistaken, but my main reason is I want to get my horse from the stable and I want to have enough money to get the T-Bred.  There are also many other reasons to put this mission off till later, HOWEVER, I dont have a problem with anyone who wants to do this mission first.  I do want to talk about Chapter's 3 through epilogue 2, and the whole reason for me making an account was because chapter 2 was talked about so extensively, and even though no consensus will realistically be reached, it still seems to come up in conversation.  I would just like to move on to the other chapters, have some conversations like you guys had with chapter 2 and come up with some new ideas how to do the rest of the game.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, Dantheman2260 said:

Great list man. I mentioned before I like having Advertising, The New American Art straight after American Distillation. I’ve looked back on the missions and now agree with you that American Distillation should come before The Course Of True Love. This is the best mission order for Chapter 3 in my opinion, all the missions flow in a great way. 

Thanks man. The main issue with doing COTL 1, 2 and 3 before AD was that it meant that as soon as you finished AD Advertising unlocked straight away whereas doing it the opposite way meant you could throw in a couple of the other missions such as side missions and Honest Mistake etc before doing COTL 3 at which point Advertising will unlock which is much better I think.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 9:28 PM, Sutliff said:

I like your list, I know we talked about Preaching Forgiveness and Advertising the New Art before so no need to rehash that, but I'd like to talk about Magicians for Sport.  I like doing that mission between Advertising and The Joys of Tobacco because Arthur talks to Charles about being a deputy and Dutch would probably want to get to Trelawny relatively soon.  I would like to do MFS as soon as I got done with COTL 3, but a later conversaton with Charles in the mission talks about how Arthur is familar with the Braithwaite Manor, so I think doing it after Advertising works best.  Other than that, on to Chapter 4?

I know what you mean. I noticed that Charles mentions Arthur being a deputy and I thought that was peculiar because Arthur doesn't have his badge anymore. But to unlock Magicians For Sport you must actually complete Advertising which removes the badge for good so to me this is evidence that people referring to Arthur and Dutch being deputies is fine even when he hasn't got the badge.

For me the fact that Hosea has literally just gone to the Braithwaites after Advertising means that has to come next in my opinion otherwise you are leaving him there overnight which seems very strange in this situation. And Horse Flesh feels like it should logically come after that because otherwise you are leaving John. And also remember at the end of MFS Trelawny is badly beaten up and then time fast forwards after a cutscene and the next time you see him he is fully healed which suggests that a couple of days have passed at least so in theory you are leaving John and Hosea for days. And in MFS Charles says he knows a way around so that they "don't have to go through the Braithwaites place" and Arthur says "yes, I've spent enough time there" which makes more sense if they have stolen the horses.

What I would say though is that after Horse Flesh you could do Sodom instead of Magicians if you want. My main reason for doing MFS next is that Arthur spawns on the dock after Horse Flesh and the logical way to walk is right past Dutch who shouts you over for MFS. But I've also noticed that in all the optional conversations and dialogue in Sodom you can have Trelawny is never mentioned. This doesn't mean much because Lenny, Karen and Bill never even interact with Trelawny but just an observation I made.

I also believe you can put Friends In Very Low Places before Sodom, that way you an do some coach robberies etc before doing Sodom which will unlock Bill's coach robbery but it's all optional.

Yes I'll be onto Chapter 4 asap. I've been a bit distracted the last few days with work and family and the fact that the summer update just got released for red dead online haha.

I really wanna start some sort of Red Dead 2 series/movie type YouTube project very soon. And I'm seriously starting to think that all or at least most of the stranger and side missions shouldn't be included.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:17 AM, NikosUncle said:

All very valid points. What I would say is that Polite Society is a very feasible first mission just like Without Sin also is otherwise they wouldn't have opened it up right from the start as they have. But I do believe based on dialogue that this was a modification they made to the game and that it used to be later on. Arthurs lip synching at the start being synched with saying "yes you'll see, real civilised" which he only says if he has been to Valentine previously rather than "okay let's go" which he says if he hasn't, kind of indicates this.

You are right about the immersion and setting, I agree, but I think this was meant to be Arthur's second trip to Valentine. I kind of liken it to Female Suffrage in Chapter 3.

One thing I don't think I've ever mentioned is that if you ride to Americans At Rest straight away, the quickest route is via the left side of town and Arthur's horse is even parked outside the stables after that mission no matter where you park it yourself which indicates that is where he left it so that is where I leave it. And when you leave your horse there, Thomas Downes shouts you over and we know how hugely important Thomas Downes is. Arthur can interact with him and gets angry with him. It's a really cool little interaction and is really foreshadowing because this is pretty much the first thing Arthur does in the chapter and it's with the guy who...you know what. But if you do Polite Society followed by At Rest this interaction is lost I noticed. Also notice how when Arthur says "what business is it of yours!" to Downes during the fight with Tommy it's as though he has dealt with him before.

The horse problem is a big issue for me no matter what but if you haven't done Without Sin beforehand which teaches players about witnesses and being wanted you wouldn't know what was going on when you stole a horse to ride back to camp which most players would likely do and got a wanted level.

Overall though I'd say the start of this chapter is the most dividing and confusing and it's hard to argue against any order for the first couple of missions based on the fact that Rockstar themselves opened it right up.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

4 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I know what you mean. I noticed that Charles mentions Arthur being a deputy and I thought that was peculiar because Arthur doesn't have his badge anymore. But to unlock Magicians For Sport you must actually complete Advertising which removes the badge for good so to me this is evidence that people referring to Arthur and Dutch being deputies is fine even when he hasn't got the badge.

For me the fact that Hosea has literally just gone to the Braithwaites after Advertising means that has to come next in my opinion otherwise you are leaving him there overnight which seems very strange in this situation. And Horse Flesh feels like it should logically come after that because otherwise you are leaving John. And also remember at the end of MFS Trelawny is badly beaten up and then time fast forwards after a cutscene and the next time you see him he is fully healed which suggests that a couple of days have passed at least so in theory you are leaving John and Hosea for days. And in MFS Charles says he knows a way around so that they "don't have to go through the Braithwaites place" and Arthur says "yes, I've spent enough time there" which makes more sense if they have stolen the horses.

What I would say though is that after Horse Flesh you could do Sodom instead of Magicians if you want. My main reason for doing MFS next is that Arthur spawns on the dock after Horse Flesh and the logical way to walk is right past Dutch who shouts you over for MFS. But I've also noticed that in all the optional conversations and dialogue in Sodom you can have Trelawny is never mentioned. This doesn't mean much because Lenny, Karen and Bill never even interact with Trelawny but just an observation I made.

I also believe you can put Friends In Very Low Places before Sodom, that way you an do some coach robberies etc before doing Sodom which will unlock Bill's coach robbery but it's all optional.

Yes I'll be onto Chapter 4 asap. I've been a bit distracted the last few days with work and family and the fact that the summer update just got released for red dead online haha.

I really wanna start some sort of Red Dead 2 series/movie type YouTube project very soon. And I'm seriously starting to think that all or at least most of the stranger and side missions shouldn't be included.

I dont mind leaving Hosea overnight, that was common for the time, such as a giant plantation house to keep potential business partners in during the meetings.  

I just think Magicians should be done fairly early, as Dutch would really want to know what Trelawney knows and Charles talking about Arthur being a deputy loses more relevance the later you put off doing that mission.

9 minutes ago, Sutliff said:

I dont mind leaving Hosea overnight, that was common for the time, such as a giant plantation house to keep potential business partners in during the meetings.  

I just think Magicians should be done fairly early, as Dutch would really want to know what Trelawney knows and Charles talking about Arthur being a deputy loses more relevance the later you put off doing that mission.

Django Unchained fan I'm guessing? Haha.

I know what you are saying but when you turn up for the meeting it really looks like the guys have only just got there recently i.e. everyone is in the clothes they had on during advertising and they are only just getting down to talking about business and I'm pretty sure if you do MFS at night time fast forwards to daytime and then once it's finished time fast forwards again to either 8am the next day or 8am a couple of day after based on Trelawny being fit again which would mean you could be leaving Hosea there anything from 2 to several days.

And I think Arthur is classed as a deputy right through the chapter as you can even talk about it to Karen in Sodom which is meant to be a late mission too.