4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

jimmyoneshot
13 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

What does everyone do in Saint Denis at the very start of Chapter 4, pre-Joys? Go straight to Bastille Saloon or ask around at the gallows or Doyle’s first?

There is some weird timing during this part. Time is set to 4pm or thereabouts after the cutscene where Arthur and Dutch ride up to Saint-Denis yet after the cutscene in the Bastille time gets set to about 9am so to make it appear realistic I usually go straight to the Bastille or at least head there not that long after because it seems weird that Dutch and Arthur would hang around overnight in Saint-Denis or that Arthur would leave Saint-Denis before doing Joys given the urgency of Jack needing rescuing etc.

It's made even weirder by the fact that even if we DID want to stay in Saint-Denis overnight we can't because that option is locked until we visit the Bastille anyway. So a pretty strange one I think basically 😅

JonnyTNT7
23 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I usually go straight to the Bastille or at least head there not that long after because it seems weird that Dutch and Arthur would hang around overnight in Saint-Denis or that Arthur would leave Saint-Denis before doing Joys given the urgency of Jack needing rescuing etc.

Sounds good. It’s a pretty conflicting one because on one hand, Dutch says he’s been asking around and has already been inside the saloon which suggests a bit of time has passed. But like you say, it gets dark pretty quickly so visiting somewhere else can take too long. I suppose you could visit the post office or butcher to kill just enough time that Dutch has a chance to look around but it stays light. Shame no newspaper unlocks yet.

The whole timing of these missions is wildly inconsistent. Battle takes place in the afternoon, then Arthur and Dutch ride into Saint Denis at about five. Arthur even says “guess this day isn’t over yet” or something. Yet suddenly it’s the morning again when you leave the saloon, and it stays early morning after the mission, but turns pitch dark upon leaving Bronte’s mansion after spending two minutes inside. I think they intended us to explore the city before going for Bronte, which is why it’s set to day when it should really stay night.

Mr. Ando

Is there still no solution to the dialogue glitch?

I haven't got 100% yet, hunting request are a pain in the ass

LucidLocomotive
3 minutes ago, Mr. Ando said:

What dialogue glitch?

Mr. Ando
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

What dialogue glitch?

Basically if you start a new game some of the unique dialogues won't appear, also characters won't comment on the recents missions and will respond ith generic dialogue, I found out that you can avoid this by creating a new save file in a different account, but I was hoping Rockstar would address this and fixed so I won't have to use a different account.

Edited by Mr. Ando
  • Like 2

luckycanadian95
4 hours ago, Mr. Ando said:

Basically if you start a new game some of the unique dialogues won't appear, also characters won't comment on the recents missions and will respond ith generic dialogue, I found out that you can avoid this by creating a new save file in a different account, but I was hoping Rockstar would address this and fixed so I won't have to use a different account.

I doubt it'll ever be fixed tbh. Gotta make a new account or delete all your saves and reboot the game 😔

Looser3241
23 hours ago, Mr. Ando said:

I have a thread on this in help&support.

But, yes, what lucky said - create a new account and start anew or delete all saved data. 

• Like 1

Edward RDRIII
5 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

I have a thread on this in help&support.

But, yes, what lucky said - create a new account and start anew or delete all saved data. 

So if I have two Xbox accounts the saved progress from one won't affect the other right?

JonnyTNT7
5 hours ago, Edward RDRIII said:

So if I have two Xbox accounts the saved progress from one won't affect the other right?

I use multiple profiles for each of my save games and I’ve never had any issue with the dialogue.

• Like 1

Looser3241
8 hours ago, Edward RDRIII said:

I never actually tested this myself... But two or three people here report that it works

• Like 1

Edward RDRIII

Oh ok, thanks peeps!

Sean800
On 5/23/2022 at 9:58 PM, JonnyTNT7 said:

What does everyone do in Saint Denis at the very start of Chapter 4, pre-Joys? Go straight to Bastille Saloon or ask around at the gallows or Doyle’s first?

The Bastille is the "canon" choice, since it triggers a unique cutscene. Or, at least, this is what I think it does. Correct me if I'm wrong.

JonnyTNT7
9 hours ago, Sean800 said:

The Bastille is the "canon" choice, since it triggers a unique cutscene. Or, at least, this is what I think it does. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You’re always forced to go to the Bastille since that triggers Joys of Civilisation. But when you first enter the city, Dutch tasks you with tracking down Bronte. There’s unique dialogue if you visit Doyle’s tavern or the gallows first where Arthur asks where he can find Bronte and is directed to the Bastille. So I was wondering if it was better to go straight to the Bastille or to ask around first.

Seems like the best choice is to go straight to the Bastille, since it gets dark pretty quickly. I like to waste a little time first by visiting the post office or maybe having a random encounter. This is quick enough that it stays light but long enough that Dutch could reasonably have already been into the Bastille, since the bartender says Arthur’s “pal” has already been asking around.

Mr. Ando

Since the first mission of Chapter 2 is still a debate, I decided to do Polite Society, Americans At Rest and Without Sin in the same day

Arthur knows the boys are in town and he has to check on Swanson later, he finds Uncle sleeping and decides to check in they can find something in Valentine, after that he will look up for Charles and the rest, that's why he wasn't worried he didn't have a horse because he could just ride back in one of his friend's horse, when Arthur, Uncle and the girls arrive in Valentine it was still early and the boy weren't in the saloon yet, after saprring Jimmy Brooks and returning the horse he hears the guys talking and enters the saloon, Americans at Rest happens, Arthur takes a bath and remembers he has to check on Swanson before rescuing Sean.

Here I'll headcanon a gamey moment where Dutch rode down with Trewlany in Arthur's horse and when he saw Arthur didn't have a way to go back he left Arthur's horse and rode with Josiah, so after taking a bath I save and load the game to have Arthur's hore hitched in front of the Saloon, then I just go to do Without Sin, Arthur would like to play poker to relax after that big fight, then he rescues Swanson and sleeps at the camp to go save Sean the next day, Charles and Javier would have an entire day to scout the place and camp near Blackwater.

I know the horse thing kinda breaks up the inmersion but it was the best way I found to justify the ending, Arthur would had a horrible day after protecting Tilly and Karen, chasing Brooks, fighting the big brute and almost getting run over by a train, so after saving Sean and being in the party he could take some time off and do side missions

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

JonnyTNT7
16 hours ago, Mr. Ando said:

Since the first mission of Chapter 2 is still a debate, I decided to do Polite Society, Americans At Rest and Without Sin in the same day

To be honest, at this point I don’t think anyone is going to have their mind changed about Polite Society. There are pages and pages of debates about it, and I think all the evidence for both cases has been brought forward. Now it’s just personal preference. I like that rationale behind Trelawney riding Arthur’s horse and leaving it for him, although doesn’t Trelawney have his own horse which he rides in First Shall Be Last? I think the lip-sync thing, which seems pretty cast-iron, decides it for some people.

Don’t you find those three missions and a bath is a lot to fit in time-wise? I’ve tried that exact method but I find I’m watching the clock obsessively, since I don’t want to go past 5pm and have time rewind, so I don’t really enjoy it. I would prefer to keep Without Sin as a day one mission and spend the morning hunting/studying animals/picking herbs. Or I just do Americans at Rest and Without Sin on the same day, leaving Polite Society for later. 

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
Posted (edited)

A big thing for me in Americans At Rest is that Dutch turns up in town at the end of it and has bumped into Trelawny. Besides Sheep And The Goats this is the only time he actually does go to Valentine. He also strangely says "Look who WE found sniffing about" too (about Trelawny). This suggests that Dutch didn't come alone because he can't mean "we" as in "me, Bill, Charles and Javier" because Trelawny introduces himself to them straight after this as if it's the first time he has seen them in a while. So it's likely that Dutch brought Hosea with him but for some reason, Hosea is off-screen during this conversation.

The fact that this all happens coupled with the way Hosea says at the start of the Chapter "some of the boys are already in Valentine" makes it seem like this was intended to be the gang's first checking out of Valentine together whereas during Polite Society it seems that Arthur intended to return WITH Uncle and the girls until that plan hit a hitch by Jimmy Brooks noticing them.

I doubt Arthur would plan to ride on the back of one of the guy's horses unless he absolutely had to. He'd surely just whistle his horse to follow like he does in other missions and the fact that he automatically steals a horse to chase Jimmy Brooks suggests he didn't.

I also doubt Rockstar intended us to be horseless after Polite Society considering the awkwardness and confusion of how to get back to camp. I think it's more likely that Rockstar intended us to do Exit Pursued at some point before Polite Society and retrieve a horse from the stables.

Edited by jimmyoneshot
  • Like 3

Psycho18

Polite Society will be debated for a long time. Right now, Polite Society is a player preference. Polite Society works well at the beginning of chapter 2 as the first mission or after Sean's party and after Exit Pursued to retrieve Arthur's horse from the stables. I tried both ways. I still prefer Polite Society as a day 1 mission.

Polite Society is good as the day 1 mission, because the girls at their tent same as the cutscene. Arthur wants to go Valentine to find information. Girls talks about the snow on mountain, this tells me that gang was in New Hanover for only two weeks.  Store intro, the game will tell you to buy your first items. Arthur will tell the girls to keep a low profile. The low profile plan backfires when Jimmy Brooks noticed Arthur from Blackwater. Honor system comes into play, you spare/kill Jimmy Brooks or return/steal the horse depending if the player wants to play as good or bad Arthur. 

Polite Society after Sean's party and after Exit Pursued. Only thing good about this is you can retrieved Arthur's horse from stables. The way I did this is, Sean's party, Paying a Social Call, Exit Pursued (returned to camp with Hosea at 9am), Polite Society ( returned to camp to get Susan Dialogue about Hosea to Emerald Ranch). The in-game time clock is so fast, I made it to Emerald Ranch for Spines of America at late afternoon/ early evening. I am not a big fan keeping Hosea sitting on the bench for over night. 

Now, going back to Polite Society. We all know Arthur is a Sinner and not Saint. Why did the game not allow Arthur to shoot Anthony Foreman in Valentine when he was hassling Tilly? Two things, Anthony Foreman will be in story mission in chapter 4, and bounty in the epilogue, or Polite Society is meant to be a low profile mission.  R* change  Polite Society at the last minute so let the players decide. Being low profile in Valentine Polite Society  would not make sense, because the town already saw Arthur beat up Tommy. 

15 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

A big thing for me in Americans At Rest is that Dutch turns up in town at the end of it and has bumped into Trelawny. Besides Sheep And The Goats this is the only time he actually does go to Valentine. He also strangely says "Look who WE found sniffing about" too (about Trelawny). This suggests that Dutch didn't come alone because he can't mean "we" as in "me, Bill, Charles and Javier" because Trelawny introduces himself to them straight after this as if it's the first time he has seen them in a while. So it's likely that Dutch brought Hosea with him but for some reason, Hosea is off-screen during this conversation

I think that Trelawny was sniffing  around the camp, that's why Dutch says "Look who we found sniffing around". So, Dutch and Trelawny went to Valentine on their horses. Hosea didn't go to Valentine, somebody needed watch camp. 

Edward RDRIII

It's just personal preference, that's exactly why the game has optional dialogues for each choice.

SoulSurj
1 hour ago, Psycho18 said:

Polite Society after Sean's party and after Exit Pursued. Only thing good about this is you can retrieved Arthur's horse from stables. The way I did this is, Sean's party, Paying a Social Call, Exit Pursued (returned to camp with Hosea at 9am), Polite Society ( returned to camp to get Susan Dialogue about Hosea to Emerald Ranch). The in-game time clock is so fast, I made it to Emerald Ranch for Spines of America at late afternoon/ early evening. I am not a big fan keeping Hosea sitting on the bench for over night. 

Hosea actually leaves Emerald Ranch if it gets too late so you don't have to go there on the same day Grimshaw talks to you.

1 hour ago, Psycho18 said:

Now, going back to Polite Society. We all know Arthur is a Sinner and not Saint. Why did the game not allow Arthur to shoot Anthony Foreman in Valentine when he was hassling Tilly? Two things, Anthony Foreman will be in story mission in chapter 4, and bounty in the epilogue, or Polite Society is meant to be a low profile mission.  R* change  Polite Society at the last minute so let the players decide. Being low profile in Valentine Polite Society  would not make sense, because the town already saw Arthur beat up Tommy. 

The reason they were keeping a low profile was because Arthur didn't want the town to know the girls were associated with him, while they were searching for leads. They had never been there before so that made their job easier.

Dan_1983
On 5/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, JonnyTNT7 said:

I usually go straight to Bastille Saloon, and then get ready for the inevitable frustration of not catching that little bastard Cleet lol. 

jimmyoneshot
17 hours ago, Psycho18 said:

I think that Trelawny was sniffing  around the camp, that's why Dutch says "Look who we found sniffing around". So, Dutch and Trelawny went to Valentine on their horses. Hosea didn't go to Valentine, somebody needed watch camp. 

Ye that makes much more sense actually and explains the "We". Trelawny likely went to Blackwater as he says, found a note about how the gang would eventually be at Horseshoe and went there looking for them.

jimmyoneshot
15 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

The reason they were keeping a low profile was because Arthur didn't want the town to know the girls were associated with him, while they were searching for leads. They had never been there before so that made their job easier.

Ye good point. That also explains why if we enter the saloon when the girls are in there we get the Mission Failed screen with the message "You blew the girls cover". Of course this could just be a generic message to stop the player doing what the game doesn't want us to do but it makes much more sense that Arthur would blow their cover if he went in there after having a bar fight as that would get more of a reaction than him just walking in there for the first time ever in which case it seems strange that him just being there would blow their cover.

It also seems that in Arthur's mind what happened during Americans At Rest WAS Arthur's idea of "laying low" until the fight broke out as he says to Bill during Paying A Social Call in an optional conversation "How wise do you think it would've been beating a man to death with all those people looking on when we're supposed to be laying low?". I think he basically classes the Tommy fight as Bill's fault which it was ha.

Psycho18
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye good point. That also explains why if we enter the saloon when the girls are in there we get the Mission Failed screen with the message "You blew the girls cover". Of course this could just be a generic message to stop the player doing what the game doesn't want us to do but it makes much more sense that Arthur would blow their cover if he went in there after having a bar fight as that would get more of a reaction than him just walking in there for the first time ever in which case it seems strange that him just being there would blow their cover.

It also seems that in Arthur's mind what happened during Americans At Rest WAS Arthur's idea of "laying low" until the fight broke out as he says to Bill during Paying A Social Call in an optional conversation "How wise do you think it would've been beating a man to death with all those people looking on when we're supposed to be laying low?". I think he basically classes the Tommy fight as Bill's fault which it was ha.

That is very good point. 

This is reason, why I like to do Polite Society first. The gang is trying to lay low in New Hanover. If you do At Rest first, then beating up Tommy will break the gang's laying low early in the game.  Then laying low in Polite Society won't mean nothing. 

In Polite Society, Arthur is a Sinner, and not a Saint.

You get a fail mission if you shoot Anthony Foreman bothering Tilly. Why did Arthur hold back from shooting Anthony Foreman, if Arthur already beat up Tommy. 

You might get a fail mission, if you enter the saloon and break the girls cover. 

If you let Jimmy Brooks escape, then you will get a fail mission. 

To me, players who trying not fail Polite Society will help the gang to stay in low 

How did the Pinkertons found the gang in New Hanover? Did they follow Trelawny, Arthur, Javier, Charles, someone send message to Blackwater or did Micah told them? 

Plus, the Pinkertons shows up in New Hanover during the Fisher of Men. Maybe it is a good idea to place Fisher of Men after Pastoral Scene and PFO4. Pastoral Scene was the last mission between Blackwater and Horseshoe Overlook. 

Edited by Psycho18
  • Like 1

Good_Fundies31

Long time no talk folks, hope everyone is doing well. I haven't fully kept up on the thread lately, but I was just reading some stuff about different side missions and events and I got to thinking about Aberdeen pig farm with the Hills Have Eyes couple. Do you guys do it as Arthur? Or not at all? One head canon I'd read was to get robbed by them, not recover the money, and then later on read about it in the journal playing as John and go back and find it? Not sure when or where it'd fit in people's timelines, but it's a nice change up from Polite Society and Chapter 2 talk haha.

• Like 1

Dan_1983

I think all robberies in game only make sense with Arthur, as John is a former outlaw turned rancher trying to live on the straight and narrow. So robbing with John doesn't make sense to me. However, the pig farm could be the exception as they invite Arthur or John in and rob them blind, so it's not unrealistic for John to go back and kill them both to retrieve his stolen money. 

• Like 3

jimmyoneshot
Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, Psycho18 said:

This is reason, why I like to do Polite Society first. The gang is trying to lay low in New Hanover. If you do At Rest first, then beating up Tommy will break the gang's laying low early in the game.  Then laying low in Polite Society won't mean nothing. 

Don't get me wrong I think both missions can somewhat work well as a first one hence why Rockstar allowed it but I feel that when I do my own order the points for Americans At Rest being first outweighed those for Polite. The main ones for me:-

• If Javier, Charles and Bill were in town they would almost certainly be in the saloon most of the time or having a pee next to it which is presumably what Bill is doing during Americans At Rest. When we get to Valentine in Polite if the rest of the gang were in the Saloon then there isn't really a reason why Arthur and Uncle would intentionally stay outside like they do. The other gang members being in there could blow the girl's cover just like Arthur and Uncle being in there could which is why it seems that the reason Arthur doesn't want to go in there is because of the previous Tommy fight so Uncle instead grabs a whiskey that they share and keeps Arthur company. It feels almost gamey for the gang to assume that the others wouldn't be in the saloon to me.
  • The lip-synching is a big thing for me because it shows that At Rest > Polite was the original cutscene and then they simply dubbed over it if you do the opposite order
  • Regarding the gang laying low, as I mentioned above Arthur technically was laying low during At Rest and he even clarifies this with Bill during Social Call when he says "How wise do you think it would've been beating a man to death with all those people looking on when we're supposed to be laying low?" which basically means regardless of Arthur having a fight, which wasn't his fault, they are still laying low. Shooting Anthony Foreman would definitely be much more extreme than Arthur just having a fight which seems to happen regularly in that saloon anyway
  • A big one for me is the way we are left without a horse after Polite. This is why these days I think Polite very likely goes after Exit Pursued too because the stables being unlocked by that mission is the only way that we are left with a legitimate horse in the stables. Otherwise, we have to steal one which almost always resorts in a witness which we haven't had a tutorial for until Without Sin, OR rely on the O'Driscolls spawning so we can fight them and take one of theirs OR running back to camp...all of which seem very unintentional after the first mission

Based on the other point you mentioned about Dutch possibly traveling with Trelawny into Valentine for At Rest which seems like a great point that also leaves another possibility - Without Sin on Day 1 followed by At Rest on Day 2

This would work quite well because that means we get the tutorial for dealing with a witness which is a pretty important one and it also means we aren't having 2 fights in one day like if we do At Rest and then Without Sin on day 1. This also leaves Arthur with some time after At Rest to maybe get a bath and maybe stay in the hotel before heading to get Sean on Day 3. Just a thought for an alternative.

Edited by jimmyoneshot
  • Like 3

JonnyTNT7

I was playing Advertising II tonight and I got a line of dialogue I’ve never heard before. In the bar shootout, I died right at the start. When I respawned, Arthur muttered under his breath “They must be the b*stards from Shady Belle”.  Has anyone else had that line before? I had played Preaching before Advertising, so if this line can occur the other way round as well, that would be a clue that Preaching comes first. What do you think? 

Psycho18
4 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Don't get me wrong I think both missions can somewhat work well as a first one hence why Rockstar allowed it but I feel that when I do my own order the points for Americans At Rest being first outweighed those for Polite. The main ones for me:-

• If Javier, Charles and Bill were in town they would almost certainly be in the saloon most of the time or having a pee next to it which is presumably what Bill is doing during Americans At Rest. When we get to Valentine in Polite if the rest of the gang were in the Saloon then there isn't really a reason why Arthur and Uncle would intentionally stay outside like they do. The other gang members being in there could blow the girl's cover just like Arthur and Uncle being in there could which is why it seems that the reason Arthur doesn't want to go in there is because of the previous Tommy fight so Uncle instead grabs a whiskey that they share and keeps Arthur company. It feels almost gamey for the gang to assume that the others wouldn't be in the saloon to me.
  • The lip-synching is a big thing for me because it shows that At Rest > Polite was the original cutscene and then they simply dubbed over it if you do the opposite order
  • Regarding the gang laying low, as I mentioned above Arthur technically was laying low during At Rest and he even clarifies this with Bill during Social Call when he says "How wise do you think it would've been beating a man to death with all those people looking on when we're supposed to be laying low?" which basically means regardless of Arthur having a fight, which wasn't his fault, they are still laying low. Shooting Anthony Foreman would definitely be much more extreme than Arthur just having a fight which seems to happen regularly in that saloon anyway
  • A big one for me is the way we are left without a horse after Polite. This is why these days I think Polite very likely goes after Exit Pursued too because the stables being unlocked by that mission is the only way that we are left with a legitimate horse in the stables. Otherwise, we have to steal one which almost always resorts in a witness which we haven't had a tutorial for until Without Sin, OR rely on the O'Driscolls spawning so we can fight them and take one of theirs OR running back to camp...all of which seem very unintentional after the first mission

Based on the other point you mentioned about Dutch possibly traveling with Trelawny into Valentine for At Rest which seems like a great point that also leaves another possibility - Without Sin on Day 1 followed by At Rest on Day 2

This would work quite well because that means we get the tutorial for dealing with a witness which is a pretty important one and it also means we aren't having 2 fights in one day like if we do At Rest and then Without Sin on day 1. This also leaves Arthur with some time after At Rest to maybe get a bath and maybe stay in the hotel before heading to get Sean on Day 3. Just a thought for an alternative.

Great points, everytime I play around with RDR2 and restart chapter 2. I started to push Polite Society back a little bit in Chapter 2. Polite Society fits well before At Rest or after Exit pursued.  It is good to have the stables open to retrieve Arthur' horse after Polite Society, but I feel that Polite Society was developed as a gang stay low mission and Intro to Valentine. I am glad that R* allowed players to place missions into any order, instead of having the missions in a scripted\strict order. 

I always play this game as Arthur Morgan. Putting myself in Arthur's shoes and what is Arthur seeing, feeling and thoughts.  Lip-synching don't bother me, I don't pay attention to that. Arthur sleeps on the porch , because the girls taking a long time to come back. Arthur stays out of saloon, he doesn't want to break the girls cover only. Arthur knows the boys in Valentine, but he doesn't know where. The boys can be in the small saloon, hotel, jail, big saloon, or the rooms on the 2nd floor of the big saloon. During Polite Society, Arthur thinking about protecting the girls.

In Polite Society, Arthur had opportunity to kill, beat up or rob the fellow with broken wagon, guy in the hotel, or Anthony Foreman. We get a mission failed if we tried. Even after beat up Tommy in At Rest, the game still wouldn't let Arthur beat up, kill, or rob anybody in Polite Society. This tells me that Polite Society should be a low profile mission before At Rest.

I tried three ways, placing Polite Society in my order. I like either way, each time I play, I am liking the 2nd and 3rd more.

My Original way

Polite Society: the girls are working at their tent, same as cutscenes. Run back to camp, build up Arthur's stamina.

Without Sin

Snake Oil

At Rest

First shall be

------------

2nd way, I am liking more each day

Hunting for deer

Pearson's trapper information

Without Sin

Polite Society

At Rest

1st gunslinger mission at small saloon

Bath/hotel Overnight. Save/ reload to get Arthur's horse outside

First shall be the last 

Party

Paying Social call

Snake Oil

Quiet time

Exit pursued

Money Lending 1\2 Emerald Ranch

Spines

--------------

My 3rd way, I somewhat like it, it is hard to get use to it.

Hunting for deer

Without Sin

Few Strangers missions

At Rest

Bath/hotel overnight

First shall be last

Party

Paying Social call

Exit pursued- return to camp with Hosea at 9am

Polite Society- return to camp, fall asleep or go to Emerald Ranch at late afternoon Or evening.

Spines of America-- do nighttime mission or let Hosea sit on the bench overnight. I am not a big fan of both. 

I like to do Money Lending before Spines, but don't know where to put it this 3rd way.

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
42 minutes ago, Psycho18 said:

Great points, everytime I play around with RDR2 and restart chapter 2. I started to push Polite Society back a little bit in Chapter 2. Polite Society fits well before At Rest or after Exit pursued.  It is good to have the stables open to retrieve Arthur' horse after Polite Society, but I feel that Polite Society was developed as a gang stay low mission and Intro to Valentine. I am glad that R* allowed players to place missions into any order, instead of having the missions in a scripted\strict order. 

I always play this game as Arthur Morgan. Putting myself in Arthur's shoes and what is Arthur seeing, feeling and thoughts.  Lip-synching don't bother me, I don't pay attention to that. Arthur sleeps on the porch , because the girls taking a long time to come back. Arthur stays out of saloon, he doesn't want to break the girls cover only. Arthur knows the boys in Valentine, but he doesn't know where. The boys can be in the small saloon, hotel, jail, big saloon, or the rooms on the 2nd floor of the big saloon. During Polite Society, Arthur thinking about protecting the girls.

In Polite Society, Arthur had opportunity to kill, beat up or rob the fellow with broken wagon, guy in the hotel, or Anthony Foreman. We get a mission failed if we tried. Even after beat up Tommy in At Rest, the game still wouldn't let Arthur beat up, kill, or rob anybody in Polite Society. This tells me that Polite Society should be a low profile mission before At Rest.

I tried three ways, placing Polite Society in my order. I like either way, each time I play, I am liking the 2nd and 3rd more.

My Original way

Polite Society: the girls are working at their tent, same as cutscenes. Run back to camp, build up Arthur's stamina.

Without Sin

Snake Oil

At Rest

First shall be

------------

2nd way, I am liking more each day

Hunting for deer

Without Sin

Polite Society

At Rest

Bath/hotel Overnight. Save/ reload to get Arthur's horse outside

First shall be the last 

Party

Paying Social call

Snake Oil

Quiet time

Exit pursued

Money Lending 1\2 Emerald Ranch

Spines

--------------

My 3rd way, I somewhat like it, it is hard to get use to it.

Hunting for deer

Without Sin

Few Strangers missions

At Rest

Bath/hotel overnight

First shall be last

Party

Paying Social call

Exit pursued- return to camp with Hosea at 9am

Polite Society- return to camp, fall asleep or go to Emerald Ranch at late afternoon Or evening.

Spines of America-- do nighttime mission or let Hosea sit on the bench overnight. I am not a big fan of both. 

I like to do Money Lending before Spines, but don't know where to put it this 3rd way.

I always felt that being without a horse after Americans at rest worked fine because it was the only time in the game where you have a legitimate need and opportunity to introduce the feature of requesting rides. The first time I ever played the game when it first came out, I organically discovered it by starting walking back to camp after at rest, and then I stumbled upon the first serial killer clue (the leg in the road and the head and body under the bridge thing). Then I asked someone for a ride back towards camp. To me that always felt like a natural turn of events

jimmyoneshot
20 hours ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

I was playing Advertising II tonight and I got a line of dialogue I’ve never heard before. In the bar shootout, I died right at the start. When I respawned, Arthur muttered under his breath “They must be the b*stards from Shady Belle”.  Has anyone else had that line before? I had played Preaching before Advertising, so if this line can occur the other way round as well, that would be a clue that Preaching comes first. What do you think? 

That's a strange one. I'll test that out now and see if it happens for me. So he respawned back into the shootout at the same checkpoint and said it there in the middle of the shootout in the bar?