4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

LucidLocomotive
5 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

I did not.  I spent my time doing chores or hunting in the area around Horseshoe Overlook, then off to get Swanson (I don't play poker - seems like the wrong time for that).   The next day, I like to wait for Dutch to approach me about things to do in Valentine, after I make fun of him and Molly acting all romantic.  Makes me laugh!   Then off to Valentine for Americans at Rest.  From there, I take a bath (cuz Dutch told me to get cleaned up), then off towards Blackwater.  I camp out on the way, so when I arrive, Charles and Javier have been camping and scouting for a day.   Rescue Sean, and home for a party!  I love the party 🤠   

Sleep til noon, then kick Uncle awake, and off we go to Valentine.   Nothing pressing anymore, so figure it is a good day for Arthur relax a bit with Uncle and the girls.    At this point, I still have Arthur act like the errand boy he's become - he does what he's told, even if he doesn't like it - and he does those things first, before he does things on his own.

Wow I am surprised you don’t play poker, since that’s how Poker is introduced it definitely seems like that’s what Rockstar intended for Arthur to do there. So it must be canon that he plays. Why do you think it doesn’t feel like the right time?

Dan_1983
10 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Wow I am surprised you don’t play poker, since that’s how Poker is introduced it definitely seems like that’s what Rockstar intended for Arthur to do there. So it must be canon that he plays. Why do you think it doesn’t feel like the right time?

Because Swanson is in not fit state and Arthur would be more concerned about getting him back to camp.

LucidLocomotive
17 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Because Swanson is in not fit state and Arthur would be more concerned about getting him back to camp.

I would disagree with this personally. I think while Arthur might be concerned for him, he doesn’t feel like he needs to parent him. And it is the honorable thing to do to step in for him, since he had already committed to the game. It’s an honor thing, like with snitches in the hood, you can’t leave a hand unplayed in the cowboy days.

Also just the fact that it’s very obviously canon for Arthur to play, since the writers intended for the player to learn poker at this point. Plus, it’s a very short game, not even a whole game. He only plays like 2 or 3 hands right? And you are programmed to win all of them. I’m pretty sure IIRC Arthur plays a very short round and then realizes Swanson is up to some mischief and rushes out to get him. That really doesn’t seem out of character for Arthur

I wonder if maybe there is a mission that would leave Arthur slightly drunk or  hungover, or otherwise more careless, that could come before this. What I used to always do was walk to Swanson after waking up next to the station after escaping the cops in Quiet Time, but I’ve since found that not to work very well for horse teleportation and other reasons.

But either way it’s no big deal just a difference of opinion. I’m not only OCD about canonicity and logic and flow and all of that, but also about completionism and doing things in the intended order at the intended time. And for me it seems clear that this is the intended time to introduce the poker mechanics

Edited by LucidLocomotive

BrandyNova
8 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Yup this.   

8 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Arthur is a good lieutenant at this point of the story.   He knows Swanson gets into a lot of trouble, due to his drinking and morphine addiction, which is why I figure he would check on him first.   Since he is concerned about Swanson. especially when he finds him drunk, I can't see Arthur ditching him at this point instead of taking him back to camp right away.  And as we see, he does get into serious trouble again even in the few moments Arthur talks to the poker guys.

Besides, I already know how to play poker haha 😉  

8 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

But either way it’s no big deal just a difference of opinion. I’m not only OCD about canonicity and logic and flow and all of that, but also about completionism and doing things in the intended order at the intended time. And for me it seems clear that this is the intended time to introduce the poker mechanics

I'm like that too, a little OCD about the logic and flow, which is what brought me to this thread.  It is so much fun to talk about it and share ideas!   Ultimately I figure we all are gonna do what seems right to each one of us.  It is one of the beauties of the game that it allows us so much leeway!

I also figure there were a lot of mistakes or at least changes made to the intended Chapter 2 flow (like moving up Exit), which is why we are still discussing the most logical order after all these years!  hahaha   🤠

Edited by BrandyNova

roo_fus
9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Also just the fact that it’s very obviously canon for Arthur to play, since the writers intended for the player to learn poker at this point. Plus, it’s a very short game, not even a whole game. He only plays like 2 or 3 hands right? And you are programmed to win all of them. I’m pretty sure IIRC Arthur plays a very short round and then realizes Swanson is up to some mischief and rushes out to get him. That really doesn’t seem out of character for Arthur

You're scripted to get a winning hand the first round, but other than that it's a fairly typical game, it just ends when you quit, bust out, or bust another player out. What's great though is that the mission jumps the clock to 5PM and locks it there regardless of when you start or how long you play. Haven't tested super late but I know it's still the case after 6PM

My personal day 1 is to do Who is Without Sin and Americans At Rest, although it can be explained putting them off I just feel like those are the two things Hosea told Arthur was going on that day. I also quite like having a chance to get out and stretch your legs when you first get to play in Horseshoe Overlook. I like to go out to hunt in the Heartlands, meeting the strangers for A Test of Faith and To The Ends of the Earth while out in the wilds, and ideally knocking out Herbalist 1, Master Hunter 1, finding one dinosaur bone and bringing back a juicy pronghorn carcass to put up at camp and so Pearson can tell you about the trapper. I figure hunting is a pressing enough issue since the food stockpile is totally barren at the start, by the time Arthur gets back in the early evening he figures he should check on what Swanson has been up to since he's still gone from camp, and after he brings him home he goes to catch up with the boys in town. If you go straight to the saloon after dumping Swanson off you should get there about 7PM, which seems like the perfect time for a drunken barfight and just early enough that a huge crowd in Valentine is believable. Then you can clean up and rest up at the hotel before heading out to Blackwater and meeting Thomas Downes in the morning. 

• Like 2

Dan_1983

Do not play poker is also the default choice the game chooses for you if you don't choose yourself. It makes no sense to play poker while a drunk vulnerable morphine addict friend of yours needs to be taken back home.

LucidLocomotive
7 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Do not play poker is also the default choice the game chooses for you if you don't choose yourself. It makes no sense to play poker while a drunk vulnerable morphine addict friend of yours needs to be taken back home.

Whenever you can choose and it’s between pressing circle or square, the option for square is nearly always the more logical and canon choice I’ve noticed

Dan_1983
3 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Whenever you can choose and it’s between pressing circle or square, the option for square is nearly always the more logical and canon choice I’ve noticed

Yes that is usually the case in my experience too,

Arthur john

What do you guys think is the canon ending for Arthur?

For me its Going back for the money, High honor option, Since its the only thing that makes sense, for one, why would Micah go through such trouble at following Arthur and John up the mountains considering the amount of Pinkerton's at the area?

And Also Arthur has the key to the chest, But this is not a problem since I think Micah would just shoot the padlocks of the chest instead.

And it make sense for Arthur to die in camp alongside Ms Grimshaw, since Charles would have found them later on.

I just really like this ending more tbh, Arthur shouting at Dutch and Micah while killing all of the remaining Pinkerton's, not to mention the soundtrack that is playing in the background makes this ending more badass.

In fact even if you choose to help john, Micah's corpse in the epilogue will always have that eye scar.

LucidLocomotive
49 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

Yes that is usually the case in my experience too,

For example, I used to think it was positive/negative answer, but when Hosea asks you if you want to go to camp, the "No" option is square, because its more logical to want to stay there and get the legendary bear before heading back

Psycho18
4 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

For example, I used to think it was positive/negative answer, but when Hosea asks you if you want to go to camp, the "No" option is square, because its more logical to want to stay there and get the legendary bear before heading back

Stay back and hunt the legendary bear I will not do, because I don't have Pearson's trapper information yet. Plus, I like to follow the map order. Number one animal on the map is the legendary deer up in Black Bone Forest near Strawberry.  I get the legendary bear in chapter 3 or 4 it is down on the map list. On map, I skip the numbers of animals that is in areas that I didn't visit yet (animals in New Austin needs to be for John in the epilogue, or animals in Lemoyne in chapter 3,  or animals in the swamp in chapter 4 etc.). 

If you return to the camp with Hosea, then the fast travel will set in and the time clock will be frozen at 9am. Just enough time to hunt deer and bring the deer carasss back to Pearson to get Pearson's trapper information. Start Money Lending in Emerald ranch and meet Hosea in Emerald Ranch for Spines of America. By the time you hunt deer, go Emerald Ranch for Money Lending. It will be late afternoon or early evening for Spines of America. Spines of America best take place in the day time. 

I will not go back camp with Hosea, I will stay back to hunt deer. Return to camp with the deer carcass and get Pearson's trapper information. It will be nighttime when I get back to camp. Enough time for Susan tell Arthur about Hosea going to Emerald Ranch. Next day, I can travel to Emerald Ranch to start Money Lending, and meet Hosea for Spines of America.

SoulSurj
6 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

If you stay to hunt the bear it doesn't really make sense because there's a trail of droppings to follow to track it. It makes more sense to search for it later because you wouldn't know which direction to run in and would need the trail.

I do agree about playing poker though. Arthur thinks Swanson is still in the room and passed out so it doesn't matter if he's drunk or not.

Psycho18

I am playing around with my mission order.  I am taking the in-game time clock very seriously when making my mission order. Time clock is very fast when traveling, main quest, side quest, activities, hunting, collecting and mingames. 

Chapter 1: 

Outlaws from the West

Enter Pursued by a Memory

Talk to everybody in camp. Dutch and Hosea argue, Dutch storms out of camp and go by the fire near the boy's cabin. Boys are fighting. 

Old Friends-After kill Odriscolls loot all bodies, Dutch tell you too. 

Talk to everybody in camp, Barn talks to Kieran and Charles

The Aftermath of Genesis-

Who the hell is Leviticus Cornwell- take everything from private train car and loot all bodies on your way to the engine train car. 

Eastward Bound

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2- two weeks in New Hanover

Dutch tells everybody to get out there get to work. 

Hosea tells Arthur about the boys in Valentine, Arthur don't know where. Swanson found something at Flatneck Station, and Strauss came back with a smile. Money Lending not available. 

Coffee, eat fruit, and talk to all. Micah and Lenny is in camp. Yell at Micah for a bit. Talk to Tilly, Mary-Beth, and Karen at their tent.  See a wagon is sitting at the entrance, Wake up Uncle. 

Polite Society, Valentine Style--- morning

Arthur wants to find info in Valentine, Girls hear this.  Help the out of control wagon. the girls talks about sheep, and snow on the mountain. intro to the store buy your items. Arthur want a low profile. Tilly meets Anthony Foreman, Arthur didn't shoot him. Karen finds info  about Bank Robbery, and Mary-Beth finds info on Train Robbery. Kill or spare Jimmy Brooks. Take horse,  whistle for Arthur's horse and return horse to the owner. Intro to Honor system. 

Camp-- coffee, talk to people. Camp Dialogue- Susan tells Arthur about Micah and Lenny went west. Check Swanson's book of drugs. Notice Swanson not in camp. 

Who is not without Sin-- play poker, couple hands. If lucky, bust out both. 

Maybe, Gambler challenge 1. 

Good Honest, Snake Oil--  morning,  spending money for the saloon. 

Sheriff dialogue: fits well if Arthur didn't start no trouble. 

Maybe 1st dialogue-- Thomas Downes. 

American at Rest--- afternoon-- saloon should be busy-- Javier needs time to find info for Chez Porter house robbery. Arthur is late, Javier and Charles hangs around with Prostitutes. 

Trelawny goes to camp, Trelawny saw  Arthur leaving camp. Trelawny and Dutch goes to Valentine. Dutch tells Arthur get cleaned up and meet them when he is ready. 

Pick up hat in the saloon, Talk to Thomas Downes 1st or 2nd time. 

Stranger- Noblest of Men and a Women.--  Arthur cannot go to the big saloon. 

General store- Clerk will talk about Swanson at Flatneck Station or the Tommy fight. 

Hotel Clerk dialogue-- talk about Polite Society fight 

Bed and bath overnight

Eat fruit, bread, and cheese. Depart Valentine at 6am. Traveling is slow and time clock is fast. 

Family House Builders 1- talk

Many ambushes

Appleseed Timber Company 1-- sell items

Random-- Lost man-- take to Strawberry don't go in. 

Eat bread, meat and cheese

The First shall be the Last-- Afternoon 12pm- 3pm.  check overnight camp, Trelawny has a hotel room in Blackwater and changed clothes. 

Party- talk, drink, dance, and sing. Talk to Kieran on the tree

Wake up 12pm- talk, coffee, chores, and eat. 

Paying a Social Call-- Afternoon

Dialogue- Keiran says that the Odriscolls are drunk and armed, and Colm is sleeping in the cabin. Traveling time clock is fast. Time is frozen at 5pm-5:30pm. 

Valentine time is still frozen at 5pm-5:30pm.  Time unfreeze when return to camp. 

Stranger- A test of Faith-- Dino Lady

A Quiet time- afternoon-- saloon should be busy- jail time

Camp-- talk, eat, coffee, and chores

Dutch camp dialogue finally open about Social call. 

Stranger- Smoking and other Hobbies

Stranger-- All that Glitters

Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego-- Late Morning or early afternoon, travel is slow and time is fast. 

Sell black horse, buy Dutch warmblood

Dialogue-- about Arthur's two trips to the saloon and Micah in jail

Stay back, hunt deer, return to camp

Pearson's trapper information. 

Camp dialogue- Susan tells Arthur about Hosea in Emerald Ranch

Money lending- Lilly Millet- Emerald ranch

Money lending- Click Mathews- Emerald Ranch

Spines of America--  2pm-3pm

Dialogue-- Hosea says you the one is gallivanting around here

Money Lending- Mr. Worbel- afternoon cooking dinner 

Money Lending- Thomas Downes- late morning- afternoon

Hunting- Charles

We loved once and True I- read letter

Hunting- collecting near Strawberry

Random-- man trapped in a bear trap

buy new clothes in Strawberry

Blessed are the Meek-- afternoon or evening 

We loved Once and True II- III- morning or afternoon

Pouring Forth Oil I-- Morning 

Camp Dialogue- with Dutch

Pouring Forth Oil II-- Morning 

Either steal wagon from Valentine , get witnessed and wanted 

Oil Finery-- save reload-- use bow shoot driver seat, wagon will run out of western gate, steal without wanted 

Central Railroad Company I -- Afternoon  

Pouring Forth Oil III-- evening-- Talk to John

Mrs. Downes comes to camp-- Mr. Downes is dead. 2-3 week after Arthur beat up Mr. Downes. 

Fisher of men-- late morning-- after the Pinkertons leave-- Arthur say it's getting late, time to go home. 

Pouring Forth Oil IV-- late morning- early afternoon 

Dialogue-- talk about Micah. Micah must be out of Jail. Arthur knows where the camp located near Strawberry. Sleep until night. If you equip any weapons, Arthur will always auto equip the carbon rifle, Springfield rifle or varmint rifle. Pay attention, I was thinking that I was shooting the lawman with any gun I equip before the mission.  Oops, I was shooting the lawman with a varmint rifle. 

Javier- House Robbery-- morning--  3-1/2 weeks after Arthur beat up Mr. Downes. Arthur starts to cough from TB virus, smoking, dust or pushing heavy wagon. 

On my way to strawberry to see Micah. 

Hunting- collecting  anytime  during traveling in my playthrough. 

American Pastoral scene-- morning-- finally received the Lancaster rifle. 

Sheeps and Goats-- morning

Strange Kindness-  morning 

Edited by Psycho18
  • Like 1

Sean800
16 hours ago, Arthur john said:

What do you guys think is the canon ending for Arthur?

For me its Going back for the money, High honor option, Since its the only thing that makes sense, for one, why would Micah go through such trouble at following Arthur and John up the mountains considering the amount of Pinkerton's at the area?

And Also Arthur has the key to the chest, But this is not a problem since I think Micah would just shoot the padlocks of the chest instead.

And it make sense for Arthur to die in camp alongside Ms Grimshaw, since Charles would have found them later on.

I just really like this ending more tbh, Arthur shouting at Dutch and Micah while killing all of the remaining Pinkerton's, not to mention the soundtrack that is playing in the background makes this ending more badass.

In fact even if you choose to help john, Micah's corpse in the epilogue will always have that eye scar.

Firstly I don't think there's a "canon" ending, more like a logical one, but it's also up to the player.

Still, the game's literally called Red Dead Redemption, so I don't think it's logical to trigger a bad honour ending.

Now that we've settled that, what to do? Head back or help John? Well, I think the latter has far more sense. Arthur has stopped thinking about the money since Chapter 5, his last wish is literally to help John escape that sh*t, to help him have a better life.

Also, but this is my opinion, I think that brief exchange of words Dutch and Arthur had in those final moments, is better than what we see in the other ending.

That is the first time in the entirety of the game that Dutch is speechless. He realized he got played (just look at the stare he gives Micah) and doesn't know what to say or do. 

As for the points you've brought:

- Micah goes back after Arthur because he wanted to kill him. He found out what he had been doing so he had to pay, and die.

- Yes, it makes sense for Arthur to die alongside Grimshaw, but Charles was clearly vague in his statement, he might have also seen all the casualties up in the mountains and found Arthur there. 

- Micah's corpse has the scar regardless of which ending you choose, yes. But it's a confirmed bug. Still, I do think that particular detail should have been kept in both endings, as a way to justify Micah's incompetence in the final mission. Something like "he's half blind so his shooting and aim got worse". Makes sense.

Edited by Sean800
  • Like 3

cp1dell

Did anyone ever get around to replaying all the missions through the menu to see what time the game starts each one at?

SoulSurj
14 hours ago, cp1dell said:

Did anyone ever get around to replaying all the missions through the menu to see what time the game starts each one at?

Yeah, the ones that aren't locked at a specific time are setup to start in the morning so using that feature doesn't work for checking mission times. The screenshots of the missions do help with checking out Arthur's appearance at certain times in the story though. It's a good way to tell if the orders are somewhat correct because Arthur might have a beard or outfit for one mission but not another.

JonnyTNT7

Has anyone tried using the gang members present in camp during missions to try and nail down the intended order? So for instance, I’ve just replayed Without Sin and written down every member who was present in camp at the end. Everyone save for Javier, Bill, Charles, Micah, Lenny, and Sean was present which would make perfect sense for it being the first mission played. It also suggests that Without Sin comes before At Rest otherwise Bill would be back at camp. I’ll need to play Without Sin after doing At Rest to see if that makes Bill appear, but if it doesn’t, then that could be a clue that Without Sin comes first. Of course it’s possible that this could all be nothing and no real thought was given to which gang members appear, but it feels worth a try.

SoulSurj
52 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Has anyone tried using the gang members present in camp during missions to try and nail down the intended order? So for instance, I’ve just replayed Without Sin and written down every member who was present in camp at the end. Everyone save for Javier, Bill, Charles, Micah, Lenny, and Sean was present which would make perfect sense for it being the first mission played. It also suggests that Without Sin comes before At Rest otherwise Bill would be back at camp. I’ll need to play Without Sin after doing At Rest to see if that makes Bill appear, but if it doesn’t, then that could be a clue that Without Sin comes first. Of course it’s possible that this could all be nothing and no real thought was given to which gang members appear, but it feels worth a try.

The game spawns gang members at certain locations based on the missions available because their character models have to be in certain locations to trigger the missions. Charles and Javier have to be in the saloon for "Americans at Rest" to trigger so their character models are always in Valentine until that mission is completed. Bill can't be at camp if you play Without Sin first because his character model has to spawn during "Americans at Rest." Micah and Lenny spawn out of camp after the first mission you trigger so they aren't present either.

• Like 2

JonnyTNT7
1 hour ago, SoulSurj said:

The game spawns gang members at certain locations based on the missions available because their character models have to be in certain locations to trigger the missions.

Yeah, what I was really hoping to find was a “Swanson at Sean’s party”-type situation. So if Bill never appeared in Without Sin no matter what, that would suggest it was deliberately programmed that he not appear, ie that Without Sin originally came before At Rest. Unfortunately that’s not the case. No matter when you do Without Sin, the correct gang members will be present.

It seems to be the case that whenever you replay a mission from the menu, it assumes you have played it at the earliest possible time. So Without Sin doesn’t have Bill, Polite Society doesn’t have Swanson or Bill, Exit doesn’t have Swanson or Bill etc. Not a lot of helpful information unfortunately.

jimmyoneshot
2 hours ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Yeah, what I was really hoping to find was a “Swanson at Sean’s party”-type situation. So if Bill never appeared in Without Sin no matter what, that would suggest it was deliberately programmed that he not appear, ie that Without Sin originally came before At Rest. Unfortunately that’s not the case. No matter when you do Without Sin, the correct gang members will be present.

It seems to be the case that whenever you replay a mission from the menu, it assumes you have played it at the earliest possible time. So Without Sin doesn’t have Bill, Polite Society doesn’t have Swanson or Bill, Exit doesn’t have Swanson or Bill etc. Not a lot of helpful information unfortunately.

Ye this is true. Replay basically assumes you did the mission as early as possible. Another instance is kicking Strauss out of camp during Money Lending in Chapter 6. Bill is always there during the cutscene even though he should technically be with Micah near Van Horn if you haven't done Delights Of Van Horn yet. However, I think this is a special case because the dialogue during Delights strongly suggests it should be done very late in the chapter (Micah mentions the army and confusing them one last time etc) which means you'd also have to leave Money Lending until a very late point too to have Bill back at camp.

I think it may be the case that gang members aren't always meant to be canonically waiting at the locations that we find them 24/7 i.e. they may be returning to camp sometimes OR it may be that Delights was moved about to be available at an earlier point to give the player some options but they never updated the dialogue in the mission to reflect this.

• Like 3

SoulSurj
8 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye this is true. Replay basically assumes you did the mission as early as possible. Another instance is kicking Strauss out of camp during Money Lending in Chapter 6. Bill is always there during the cutscene even though he should technically be with Micah near Van Horn if you haven't done Delights Of Van Horn yet. However, I think this is a special case because the dialogue during Delights strongly suggests it should be done very late in the chapter (Micah mentions the army and confusing them one last time etc) which means you'd also have to leave Money Lending until a very late point too to have Bill back at camp.

I've thought about this as well. I think Bill is a special case because ML is a side (honor) mission and can be skipped.

2 hours ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Yeah, what I was really hoping to find was a “Swanson at Sean’s party”-type situation.

That can be done with Hosea. In the order that I posted not too long ago Hosea returns to camp for Sean's party even though Spines has spawned in. I didn't pay much attention to this though because Hosea's mission can't be started too late in the day while Swanson's can but always locks in the evening.

• Like 1

Looser3241

Sorry if this has already been linked here, but I thought this was super interesting and, perhaps, helpful. Anyway, here's the full game story dialogue script (do note that it only encompasses the main missions, no side content or camp dialogue)

TranscriptRed Dead Redemption 2 Full Transcript (game-scripts-wiki.blogspot.com)

Only problem is that the site is trash and breaks most of the times I open the link, however, I found a way to make it work for me, which was using a paywall remover site (there's no paywall in the site, I just wanted to find a way to open it on reader mode as, for me, the site sometimes breaks even before i can set it to reader mode) and it works perfectly. 

If the first link doesn't work, try this one12ft | Red Dead Redemption 2 Full Transcript

jimmyoneshot
On 5/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, Looser3241 said:

Sorry if this has already been linked here, but I thought this was super interesting and, perhaps, helpful. Anyway, here's the full game story dialogue script (do note that it only encompasses the main missions, no side content or camp dialogue)

TranscriptRed Dead Redemption 2 Full Transcript (game-scripts-wiki.blogspot.com)

Only problem is that the site is trash and breaks most of the times I open the link, however, I found a way to make it work for me, which was using a paywall remover site (there's no paywall in the site, I just wanted to find a way to open it on reader mode as, for me, the site sometimes breaks even before i can set it to reader mode) and it works perfectly. 

If the first link doesn't work, try this one12ft | Red Dead Redemption 2 Full Transcript

Great stuff Looser. Thanks for that.

Psycho18
On 5/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, Looser3241 said:

Thanks Looser, it was a good read.

• 2 weeks later...
sherlockh

Hello, new here.

I have been trying to play the missions in order, any recommendations? 

I fund a couple of guides online, but I didn't feel it will make me enjoy the game. I'm looking for a guide that helps me to reach the 100% completion, with story missions, strange missions, finding all dinosaur bones, kill legendary animals, etc. in order. Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Looser3241
13 hours ago, sherlockh said:

Hello, new here.

I have been trying to play the missions in order, any recommendations? 

I fund a couple of guides online, but I didn't feel it will make me enjoy the game. I'm looking for a guide that helps me to reach the 100% completion, with story missions, strange missions, finding all dinosaur bones, kill legendary animals, etc. in order. Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there. There is more than a couple of full game orders here. I'll link Jimmyoneshot latest one (latest i could find, at least). 

Spoiler

CHAPTER 1
- Outlaws From The West
- Enter, Pursued By A Memory
---------------------------------------
- The Aftermath of Genesis
- Old Friends
- Who The Hell Is Leviticus Cornwall?
- Eastward Bound

CHAPTER 2
- Americans At Rest
- Who Is Not Without Sin
- First Shall Be The Last
- Polite Society Valentine Style ( After 1pm )
- Money Lending and Other Sins 1 - 2
- Good Honest Snake Oil
- Exit Pursued ( Return )
- Paying A Social Call
- ( Grimshaw reminder about Spines Of America )
- < Charles - Hunting >
- Spines of America (Return with Hosea) (After 8 - 9pm and wait until Day)
- < Bounty Hunting - Ellie Ann Swan >
- ( Grimshaw reminder about We Loved Once And True 1 )
- A Quiet Time
- [ Valentine Dr Robbery ]
- Blessed Are The Meek
- ( camp overnight )
- < Lenny - FFF >
- We Loved Once and True 1
- Money Lending and Other Sins 3
- Pouring Forth Oil 1
- < Javier - Home Robbery >
- ( camp overnight )
- We Loved Once and True 2 - 3
- *Pouring Forth Oil 2 ( Skips at this point )
- ( Stay in hotel overnight )
- Pouring Forth Oil 3
- Fisher Of Men
- Pouring Forth Oil 4
- American Pastoral Scene
- Sheep and the Goats
- ( camp overnight )
- Strange Kindness

CHAPTER 3
- The New South
- Further Questions Of Female Suffrage (Visit Butcher to waste time on way back from post office and return after 8pm)
- < Money Lending And Other Sins 4 - Cutscene>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- American Distillation
- < Tilly - Dominoes >
- < Javier - Fishing >
- An Honest Mistake
- < Sean - Home Robbery >
- The Course Of True Love 1 - 2
- < Micah - Five Finger Fillet >
- < Kieran - Fishing >
- The Course Of True Love 3
- Advertising, The New American Art 1 - 2
- The Fine Joys Of Tobacco
- Horse Flesh For Dinner
- Preaching Forgiveness As He Went
- Magicians For Sport
- < Money Lending And Other Sins IV - Gwyn Hughes >
- Friends In Very Low Places
- < Sean - Coach Robbery >
- < Money Lending And Other Sins 4 - Winton Holmes >
- < Hector - Coach Robbery 1 >
- Sodom? Back To Gomorrah
- < Alden - Coach Robbery 1 >
- < Bill - Coach Robbery >
- ( Camp overnight OR Return to camp )
- Blessed Are The Peacemakers
- A Short Walk In A Pretty Town
- Blood Feuds, Ancient And Modern
- The Battle Of Shady Belle

CHAPTER 4
- The Joys Of Civilization
- Angelo Bronte A Man Of Honor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- < Fatherhood and Other Dreams 1 >
- < Help A Brother Out >
- < Fatherhood And Other Dreams 2 >
- < Uncle - Rustling >
- ( Camp until noon )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- No, No and Thrice No
- < Charles - Bank Robbery >
- ( Sell horse from No, No and Thrice No or keep it and sell your old one )
- < Brothers And Sisters One And All >
- < Lenny - Coach Robbery >
- < Pearson - Hunting >
- Gilded Cage
- American Fathers 1
- Fine Night of Debauchery
- < Micah - Coach Robbery >
- Horsemen Apocalypses
- Urban Pleasures
- American Fathers 2
- Country Pursuits
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 4 >
- Revenge is a Dish Best Eaten
- Banking The Old American Art

CHAPTER 5
- Welcome to the New World
- Savagery Unleashed
- A Kind and Benevolent Despot
- Hell Hath No Fury
- Paradise Mercifully Departed
- Dear Uncle Tacitus
- Fleeting Joy
- A Fork in the Road
- Icarus and Friends
- That’s Murfree Country

CHAPTER 6
- Dear Uncle Tacitus
- Fleeting Joy
- Fork In The Road
- Icarus and Friends
- That's Murfree Country
------------------------------------------
- ( Sell/stable horse from Dear Uncle Tacitus at Van Horn Stables or keep it and sell/stable your old one )
- Visiting Hours
- Just A Social Call
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 1 >
- < The Course of True Love 4 (Read Letter) >
- Rage Unleashed
- < Wisdom of The Elders 1 >
- Archaeology For Beginners
- < The Veteran 1 >
- Honor Amongst Thieves
- < Of Men and Angels >
- Goodbye Dear Friend
- (time seems to go overnight here until Arthur arrives at camp the next day)
- Fine Art of Conversation
- ( Camp until morning )
- < The Course of True Love 5 >
- Favored Sons
- King's Son
- Delights Of Van Horn
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 2 >
- < The Veteran 2 >
- Bridge To Nowhere
- ( Camp until morning )
- ( Cleet and Joe appear in camp here )
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - J John Weathers >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 6 - Arthur Londonderry  >
- < Money Lending and Other Sins 7 >
- < Do Not Seek Absolution 1 >
- < The Veteran 3 >
- < Wisdom of The Elders 2 >
- < Do Not Seek Absolution 2 >
- < Wisdom of The Elders 3 - 4 >
- Mrs Sadie Adler Widow 1
- Mrs Sadie Adler Widow 2
- < The Veteran 4 >
- ( Sell/stable your old horse at Van Horn Stables because you now have Buell )
- < Widow of Willard's Rest 3 >
- My Last Boy
- Our Best Selves
- Red Dead Redemption

EPILOGUE
- The Wheel
--------------------------------------------------
- Simple Pleasures
- Fatherhood For Beginners
- Farming For Beginners
- Old Habits
- Jim Milton Rides, Again
- Fatherhood For Idiots
- Motherhood
- The Landowning Classes
- Home of The Gentry
- Gainful Employment
- (Camp overnight)
- Bare Knuckle Friendships
- Home Improvement For Beginners
- An Honest Day's Labors
- (Sleep in Blackwater hotel until morning)
- The Tool Box
- A New Jerusalem
- A Quick Favor For An Old Friend
- Uncle's Bad Day
- A Really Big Bastard
- Trying Again
- A New Future Imagined
- American Venom

As for 100%, there's no complete chronological order as of yet. No wonder since it would require an absurd amount of effort to do it.

Mr. Ando
Posted (edited)

On 4/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Psycho18 said:

I am playing around with my mission order.  I am taking the in-game time clock very seriously when making my mission order. Time clock is very fast when traveling, main quest, side quest, activities, hunting, collecting and mingames. 

Chapter 1: 

Outlaws from the West

Enter Pursued by a Memory

Talk to everybody in camp. Dutch and Hosea argue, Dutch storms out of camp and go by the fire near the boy's cabin. Boys are fighting. 

Old Friends-After kill Odriscolls loot all bodies, Dutch tell you too. 

Talk to everybody in camp, Barn talks to Kieran and Charles

The Aftermath of Genesis-

Who the hell is Leviticus Cornwell- take everything from private train car and loot all bodies on your way to the engine train car. 

Eastward Bound

------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2- two weeks in New Hanover

Dutch tells everybody to get out there get to work. 

Hosea tells Arthur about the boys in Valentine, Arthur don't know where. Swanson found something at Flatneck Station, and Strauss came back with a smile. Money Lending not available. 

Coffee, eat fruit, and talk to all. Micah and Lenny is in camp. Yell at Micah for a bit. Talk to Tilly, Mary-Beth, and Karen at their tent.  See a wagon is sitting at the entrance, Wake up Uncle. 

Polite Society, Valentine Style--- morning

Arthur wants to find info in Valentine, Girls hear this.  Help the out of control wagon. the girls talks about sheep, and snow on the mountain. intro to the store buy your items. Arthur want a low profile. Tilly meets Anthony Foreman, Arthur didn't shoot him. Karen finds info  about Bank Robbery, and Mary-Beth finds info on Train Robbery. Kill or spare Jimmy Brooks. Take horse,  whistle for Arthur's horse and return horse to the owner. Intro to Honor system. 

Camp-- coffee, talk to people. Camp Dialogue- Susan tells Arthur about Micah and Lenny went west. Check Swanson's book of drugs. Notice Swanson not in camp. 

Who is not without Sin-- play poker, couple hands. If lucky, bust out both. 

Maybe, Gambler challenge 1. 

Good Honest, Snake Oil--  morning,  spending money for the saloon. 

Sheriff dialogue: fits well if Arthur didn't start no trouble. 

Maybe 1st dialogue-- Thomas Downes. 

American at Rest--- afternoon-- saloon should be busy-- Javier needs time to find info for Chez Porter house robbery. Arthur is late, Javier and Charles hangs around with Prostitutes. 

Trelawny goes to camp, Trelawny saw  Arthur leaving camp. Trelawny and Dutch goes to Valentine. Dutch tells Arthur get cleaned up and meet them when he is ready. 

Pick up hat in the saloon, Talk to Thomas Downes 1st or 2nd time. 

Stranger- Noblest of Men and a Women.--  Arthur cannot go to the big saloon. 

General store- Clerk will talk about Swanson at Flatneck Station or the Tommy fight. 

Hotel Clerk dialogue-- talk about Polite Society fight 

Bed and bath overnight

Eat fruit, bread, and cheese. Depart Valentine at 6am. Traveling is slow and time clock is fast. 

Family House Builders 1- talk

Many ambushes

Appleseed Timber Company 1-- sell items

Random-- Lost man-- take to Strawberry don't go in. 

Eat bread, meat and cheese

The First shall be the Last-- Afternoon 12pm- 3pm.  check overnight camp, Trelawny has a hotel room in Blackwater and changed clothes. 

Party- talk, drink, dance, and sing. Talk to Kieran on the tree

Wake up 12pm- talk, coffee, chores, and eat. 

Paying a Social Call-- Afternoon

Dialogue- Keiran says that the Odriscolls are drunk and armed, and Colm is sleeping in the cabin. Traveling time clock is fast. Time is frozen at 5pm-5:30pm. 

Valentine time is still frozen at 5pm-5:30pm.  Time unfreeze when return to camp. 

Stranger- A test of Faith-- Dino Lady

A Quiet time- afternoon-- saloon should be busy- jail time

Camp-- talk, eat, coffee, and chores

Dutch camp dialogue finally open about Social call. 

Stranger- Smoking and other Hobbies

Stranger-- All that Glitters

Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego-- Late Morning or early afternoon, travel is slow and time is fast. 

Sell black horse, buy Dutch warmblood

Dialogue-- about Arthur's two trips to the saloon and Micah in jail

Stay back, hunt deer, return to camp

Pearson's trapper information. 

Camp dialogue- Susan tells Arthur about Hosea in Emerald Ranch

Money lending- Lilly Millet- Emerald ranch

Money lending- Click Mathews- Emerald Ranch

Spines of America--  2pm-3pm

Dialogue-- Hosea says you the one is gallivanting around here

Money Lending- Mr. Worbel- afternoon cooking dinner 

Money Lending- Thomas Downes- late morning- afternoon

Hunting- Charles

We loved once and True I- read letter

Hunting- collecting near Strawberry

Random-- man trapped in a bear trap

buy new clothes in Strawberry

Blessed are the Meek-- afternoon or evening 

We loved Once and True II- III- morning or afternoon

Pouring Forth Oil I-- Morning 

Camp Dialogue- with Dutch

Pouring Forth Oil II-- Morning 

Either steal wagon from Valentine , get witnessed and wanted 

Oil Finery-- save reload-- use bow shoot driver seat, wagon will run out of western gate, steal without wanted 

Central Railroad Company I -- Afternoon  

Pouring Forth Oil III-- evening-- Talk to John

Mrs. Downes comes to camp-- Mr. Downes is dead. 2-3 week after Arthur beat up Mr. Downes. 

Fisher of men-- late morning-- after the Pinkertons leave-- Arthur say it's getting late, time to go home. 

Pouring Forth Oil IV-- late morning- early afternoon 

Dialogue-- talk about Micah. Micah must be out of Jail. Arthur knows where the camp located near Strawberry. Sleep until night. If you equip any weapons, Arthur will always auto equip the carbon rifle, Springfield rifle or varmint rifle. Pay attention, I was thinking that I was shooting the lawman with any gun I equip before the mission.  Oops, I was shooting the lawman with a varmint rifle. 

Javier- House Robbery-- morning--  3-1/2 weeks after Arthur beat up Mr. Downes. Arthur starts to cough from TB virus, smoking, dust or pushing heavy wagon. 

On my way to strawberry to see Micah. 

Hunting- collecting  anytime  during traveling in my playthrough. 

American Pastoral scene-- morning-- finally received the Lancaster rifle. 

Sheeps and Goats-- morning

Strange Kindness-  morning 

In Polite Society if I take the horse and get away a bit of Valentine to take my horse, when I return the horse's owner won't be there, what did you do?

Edited by Mr. Ando
  • Like 1

cp1dell

@jimmyoneshot

I’ll admit I never agreed with the whole “skip Pouring Forth Oil II,” until I actually did it myself, and it makes sense. It’s one of the only missions where this happens, and another character does it for you. On top of that, when John tells Arthur he got the oil wagon, Arthur seems lost/distracted the same way he does when Strauss approached him after reading Mary’s letter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roger Clark was directed to act the same way for the “John got the wagon” cutscene as he did the “Mary letter/Strauss reminder” cutscene. It really lines up well.

• Like 3

jimmyoneshot
2 hours ago, cp1dell said:

@jimmyoneshot

I’ll admit I never agreed with the whole “skip Pouring Forth Oil II,” until I actually did it myself, and it makes sense. It’s one of the only missions where this happens, and another character does it for you. On top of that, when John tells Arthur he got the oil wagon, Arthur seems lost/distracted the same way he does when Strauss approached him after reading Mary’s letter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Roger Clark was directed to act the same way for the “John got the wagon” cutscene as he did the “Mary letter/Strauss reminder” cutscene. It really lines up well.

Ye true bud it does certainly fit in with the Mary storyline context.

Also, the fact that reading the letter (along with completing Polite Society, First Shall Be Last and Social Call) is what actually unlocks Pouring Forth Oil 1 certainly indicates they were intended to be linked together somehow.

JonnyTNT7

What does everyone do in Saint Denis at the very start of Chapter 4, pre-Joys? Go straight to Bastille Saloon or ask around at the gallows or Doyle’s first?