4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

roo_fus
On 3/13/2022 at 4:11 AM, JB1982 said:

When I did An Honest Day's Labors, John said to Sadie that he had been doing some bounty hunting after their previous meeting. But I've done no bounty hunting as John. Is that just a glitch on my save game or is that happening to everyone else too? If it's happening to everyone else, where are you fitting in bounties in the Epilogue?

Yep, John now seems to always say that he met the sheriff of Tumbleweed. I'm playing on Xbox One, curious if it's a cross-platform issue.

Now that Rockstar has accidentally made this canon, I think the best time for John to visit Tumbleweed is between "Gainful Employment" and "Bare Knuckle Friendships". I personally think it's better for John to buy the ranch before visiting Sadie - for whatever reason, John ignored the telegram from Sadie for months anyway, Uncle gives you dialogue suggesting you visit her, and I think it makes more sense for him to ask Sadie to send the money to the bank after he goes into debt.
Gainful Employment also drops you right outside of Strawberry and with Sadie suggesting you pick up your own bounties, under these circumstances I think it makes sense for John to go to Strawberry and take the Laramie gang bounty, then travel west seeking other bounties in neighboring counties after the sheriff tells you that no other bounties will be posted. This gives you an in universe explanation for running around and exploring New Austin as well, collecting bones and herbs and fish. You only have a boatload of debt to pay off on your useless rock farming land, and your only family back home is Uncle.
The opening cutscene in "Bare Knuckle Friendships" I suppose still makes sense if John returns from a journey to find the old bum still squatting on his land, and he must be doing some adventuring of his own if he somehow finds out that Charles is all the way out in Saint Denis.

• Like 2

jimmyoneshot
21 minutes ago, roo_fus said:

Yep, John now seems to always say that he met the sheriff of Tumbleweed. I'm playing on Xbox One, curious if it's a cross-platform issue.

Now that Rockstar has accidentally made this canon, I think the best time for John to visit Tumbleweed is between "Gainful Employment" and "Bare Knuckle Friendships". I personally think it's better for John to buy the ranch before visiting Sadie - for whatever reason, John ignored the telegram from Sadie for months anyway, Uncle gives you dialogue suggesting you visit her, and I think it makes more sense for him to ask Sadie to send the money to the bank after he goes into debt.
Gainful Employment also drops you right outside of Strawberry and with Sadie suggesting you pick up your own bounties, under these circumstances I think it makes sense for John to go to Strawberry and take the Laramie gang bounty, then travel west seeking other bounties in neighboring counties after the sheriff tells you that no other bounties will be posted. This gives you an in universe explanation for running around and exploring New Austin as well, collecting bones and herbs and fish. You only have a boatload of debt to pay off on your useless rock farming land, and your only family back home is Uncle.
The opening cutscene in "Bare Knuckle Friendships" I suppose still makes sense if John returns from a journey to find the old bum still squatting on his land, and he must be doing some adventuring of his own if he somehow finds out that Charles is all the way out in Saint Denis.

Hey Roo. It seems to only occur if you've done any actual bounty missions as Arthur beforehand. If you only do Good, Honest Snake Oil as Arthur and no bounties it shouldn't occur because the game doesn't class that as an actual bounty mission and it is instead classed as an optional story mission. I only did Snake Oil as Arthur in my latest playthrough and John didn't say the extra line.

• Like 2

LucidLocomotive
1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Hey Roo. It seems to only occur if you've done any actual bounty missions as Arthur beforehand. If you only do Good, Honest Snake Oil as Arthur and no bounties it shouldn't occur because the game doesn't class that as an actual bounty mission and it is instead classed as an optional story mission. I only did Snake Oil as Arthur in my latest playthrough and John didn't say the extra line.

Thats weird though if you are going for a canon play through, because its obviously intended that you do most of the bounties throughout the game as Arthur. 

• Like 1

Looser3241

I wouldn't consider something that is a bug  as part of the canon, especially since this is something rockstar might (hopefully) fix in the future. (although with every announcement rockstar makes the chances get slimmer).

Ngl, i bear a strong distaste towards doing anything in New Austin. John was obviously new to that region on the first game. For example: In the mission that you rescue Bonnie he's completely oblivious to the town of tumbleweed.

• Like 2

Sean800
8 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

I wouldn't consider something that is a bug  as part of the canon, especially since this is something rockstar might (hopefully) fix in the future. (although with every announcement rockstar makes the chances get slimmer).

Ngl, i bear a strong distaste towards doing anything in New Austin. John was obviously new to that region on the first game. For example: In the mission that you rescue Bonnie he's completely oblivious to the town of tumbleweed.

Well, in the main story you go there once and barely, I guess.

All the rest can be considered optional.

Still, I think that retcons can be considered normal. Nobody mentions Arthur in the first game and that's because he hadn't been invented yet. So...

• Like 1

Alexlecj

How did John knew the way to Painted Sky anyway? We never visited the area (as John) before that mission.

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
3 hours ago, Alexlecj said:

How did John knew the way to Painted Sky anyway? We never visited the area (as John) before that mission.

He probably knew the area. The whole gang was there and doing their own thing in chapter 2

• Like 1

Sean800

Okay so I don't know if any of you remember, but I had talked about this short random event at camp: 

So all of the gang was bloodied up after Blackwater. A cool little inkling that shows how messed up that day really was.

Edited by Sean800
  • Like 2

BrandyNova
40 minutes ago, Sean800 said:

Okay so I don't know if any of you remember, but I had talked about this short random event at camp: 

So all of the gang was bloodied up after Blackwater. A cool little inkling that shows how messed up that day really was.

I saw that on my current playthrough, but only once and I couldn't get it again.  It was a good little glimpse into the chaos of that day, and how different that job went off compared to others in the past.   

• Like 1

roo_fus
On 2/19/2022 at 7:31 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

My thinking here is that I've always wondered in the back of my mind "what the hell did Rockstar expect us to do after Polite Society when we are left with no horse in Valentine to get back to camp?". I know we could:-

• Whistle for our horse to follow the wagon at the start of the mission but that doesn't seem intended because Arthur steals a stranger's horse which he surely wouldn't do if his own horse was nearby in town
  • We could steal a horse in town somewhere after the mission but that would be pretty risky for new player who will very likely get a wanted level so again that doesn't seem intended this early in the game
  • We could hitch a ride from a wagon but most of the time they don't go right past camp anyway unless you're lucky
  • We could just jog back to camp but again it seems like to much of a distance for that to be intended too especially given Arthur is a wanted man
  • We could keep the horse that we steal from the guy in town as part of the mission however Arthur seemed very sincere when he said he was "just borrowing it" and if we do Exit Pursued after this Hosea clearly states at the start of that mission "there's nothing wrong with 2 horses" in reference to the fact that Arthur is about to buy another horse, which wouldn't make much sense because if Arthur had kept the stranger's horse he would already have 2 horses
  • We could take a chance on the encounter with the man being beaten by the 2 O'Driscolls occurring nearby, save him and take one of their horses but relying on a random encounter that the player could've possibly done before this mission anyway, again, doesn't seem intended

Slightly old reply but the one thing you didn't mention was doing Good Honest Snake Oil next on foot. It may seem odd but I'd suggest it, it's my favorite thing to do after Polite Society and you don't need to do anything silly like save and reload to teleport your horse. Since Uncle suggests going to the sheriff I may even consider it was intended. It's just a brief hike north outside of town to get to the gorge and in the cutscene you take Allbright's Hungarian Halfbred. It makes Arthur seem particularly badass that he would go walking up into the woods with just a pistol and come back with the bounty by that evening. 

The one thing I wouldn't recommend is taking that horse to rescue Sean before the stable tutorial, the horse from Adlers ranch will teleport to you and the poor halfbred will be left in Pinkerton land. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:42 PM, Looser3241 said:

I know what you mean, I still feel like I have to go there just to experience the content and go for 100% and it bothers me more if John goes running off when his family's at home and he's supposed to be retired. Fortunately if you're willing to be really charitable with the dialogue there's little in the way of direct contradictions in RDR1, just weird things for him to say. I guess for a wandering nomad whose brains were eaten by wolves Tumbleweed may have just been some podunk town he stopped in a few years back that he didn't remember. 

Edited by roo_fus
  • Like 1

BrandyNova

After scouring this thread again, I've come up with my order for the Epilogues.  Thoughts?

- The Wheel

- Simple Pleasures

- Fatherhood For Beginners

- Farming For Beginners

- Old Habits

- Jim Milton Rides, Again?

- Fatherhood For Idiots

- Motherhood

- The Landowning Classes

- Home of The Gentry

- Gainful Employment

- Bare Knuckle Friendships

- Home Improvement For Beginners

- An Honest Day's Labors

- The Tool Box

- A New Jerusalem

- A Quick Favor For An Old Friend

- Uncle's Bad Day

- The Best of Women

- A Really Big Bastard

- Trying Again

- A New Future Imagined

- American Venom

• Like 3

LucidLocomotive
11 hours ago, roo_fus said:

Slightly old reply but the one thing you didn't mention was doing Good Honest Snake Oil next on foot. It may seem odd but I'd suggest it, it's my favorite thing to do after Polite Society and you don't need to do anything silly like save and reload to teleport your horse. Since Uncle suggests going to the sheriff I may even consider it was intended. It's just a brief hike north outside of town to get to the gorge and in the cutscene you take Allbright's Hungarian Halfbred. It makes Arthur seem particularly badass that he would go walking up into the woods with just a pistol and come back with the bounty by that evening. 

The one thing I wouldn't recommend is taking that horse to rescue Sean before the stable tutorial, the horse from Adlers ranch will teleport to you and the poor halfbred will be left in Pinkerton land. 

I know what you mean, I still feel like I have to go there just to experience the content and go for 100% and it bothers me more if John goes running off when his family's at home and he's supposed to be retired. Fortunately if you're willing to be really charitable with the dialogue there's little in the way of direct contradictions in RDR1, just weird things for him to say. I guess for a wandering nomad whose brains were eaten by wolves Tumbleweed may have just been some podunk town he stopped in a few years back that he didn't remember. 

Before finding this thread, I always assumed the intended way to do it was Polite Society->Americans at Rest, and then you realize you are horseless and start walking towards camp, because then you are guaranteed to see the severed foot on the ground leading to the first serial killer clue. It always felt like such a natural way to find that clue, and that’s how it happened for me organically my first playthrough. It also seemed like the most natural way for the “hitch a ride” mechanic to be introduced, because AFAIK the game never actually tells you about that mechanic, and there isn’t ever really any other part of the game where that mechanic is useful to my knowledge.  it sort of makes sense that you would return the horse after Jimmy brooks, then go check on the boys at the bar and get into the big fight, then go talk to mr. Downes at the fundraiser table, then start walking to camp, find the first killer clue, then ask a passing carriage for a ride, it gets you closer to camp where you can then wander a bit and find the dinosaur bones lady before returning. 

that was how I always felt it was meant to go, but now that you mention that about Honest Snake Oil, maybe I’ll try that. Do you know of any other point where you can naturally stumble upon the severed leg, and naturally make use of the hitch a ride mechanic?

jimmyoneshot
On 4/11/2022 at 11:27 PM, LucidLocomotive said:

Thats weird though if you are going for a canon play through, because its obviously intended that you do most of the bounties throughout the game as Arthur. 

I'm split on it to be honest. One reason is if we do any of the bounties as Arthur and then return later as John to visit the bounties they talk as though John was the one who arrested them which may be a bug or it may be that John was meant to be the one who done them.

Also besides Snake Oil which is technically a story mission and can only be done as Arthur, I always found doing the majority of the bounties strange as Arthur considering he's previously shot the sheriff and most of Strawberry up with Micah so walking into the Sheriff's office there seems very on the nose, he's just escaped the Pinkerton's when the gang moves to Shady Belle/Saint Denis so the same goes for that Sheriff's office too and the Rhodes bounties only start appearing after he's shot the Rhodes law and most of that town up too 😅

jimmyoneshot
23 hours ago, roo_fus said:

I used to actually do this when I first started playing ha. I also used to look for ways in Valentine to steal a horse after this mission without getting a bounty which is trickier than it sounds sometimes. As time passed I found it more and more silly to run to the gorge or back to camp as Arthur. It just seems to me that if he didn't have a way back he would've not told Uncle and the girls to go so I think that as I mentioned recently it may have been that the intention was for us to do Exit Pursued at some point before Polite Society so that there would be a horse in the stables for us to grab.

Another thing I didn't like about grabbing Benedict Albright's horse is I think you bond with it and then it becomes your 'Secondary horse' which means you have 2 horses when you get back to camp. Once this happens then at the start of Exit Pursued when Hosea says "there's nothing wrong with 2 horses" (in reference to the fact that Arthur is about to go and buy a new horse) it doesn't make sense because Arthur already has 2 so this would be his 3rd. Just some things I noticed when I tried this approach but if you like it then it's fair enough I say.

jimmyoneshot
17 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

After scouring this thread again, I've come up with my order for the Epilogues.  Thoughts?

- The Wheel

- Simple Pleasures

- Fatherhood For Beginners

- Farming For Beginners

- Old Habits

- Jim Milton Rides, Again?

- Fatherhood For Idiots

- Motherhood

- The Landowning Classes

- Home of The Gentry

- Gainful Employment

- Bare Knuckle Friendships

- Home Improvement For Beginners

- An Honest Day's Labors

- The Tool Box

- A New Jerusalem

- A Quick Favor For An Old Friend

- Uncle's Bad Day

- The Best of Women

- A Really Big Bastard

- Trying Again

- A New Future Imagined

- American Venom

Ye that's THE order for the Epilogue to be honest ha. The epilogue is great because it's pretty clear based on certain clues what story missions go where.

One thing I don't like about the Epilogue which I feel is a small plot hole is that John leaves Sadie for a long time after leaving Pronghorn when we do the above order. However, there isn't really much choice because doing The Landowning Classes/Home of The Gentry before Gainful Employment seems to be canon because during An Honest Day's Labors Sadie KNOWS that Uncle is staying with John (which she mentions in a conversation) no matter which order you do and the only time John tells Sadie about this is if we do that order. But then after Landowning Classes John literally grows his hair and beard longer and STILL hasn't seen Sadie yet.

• Like 2

SoulSurj
6 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I'm split on it to be honest. One reason is if we do any of the bounties as Arthur and then return later as John to visit the bounties they talk as though John was the one who arrested them which may be a bug or it may be that John was meant to be the one who done them.

Also besides Snake Oil which is technically a story mission and can only be done as Arthur, I always found doing the majority of the bounties strange as Arthur considering he's previously shot the sheriff and most of Strawberry up with Micah so walking into the Sheriff's office there seems very on the nose, he's just escaped the Pinkerton's when the gang moves to Shady Belle/Saint Denis so the same goes for that Sheriff's office too and the Rhodes bounties only start appearing after he's shot the Rhodes law and most of that town up too 😅

It's probably a bug but in case you want more info I've been looking into some of the bounties recently. Here's what I've found out...

The Strawberry and Rhodes bounties spawn after shootouts but Trelawney does mention that areas can be revisited for work because most of the people who could recognize the gang aren't around anymore. It seems like these bounties can work for both characters.

The San Denis one is connected to The Mercies of Knowledge stranger quest. The sheriff will comment about it if you finish the entire stranger quest and then go to pick up the bounty. This one's probably Arthur.

The sheriff will comment about the player returning for the Valentine bounty so it's likely this Bounty is meant to be done shortly after Snake Oil. It could possibly fit shortly after American Dreams but this one's probably Arthur as well.

• Like 3

BrandyNova
5 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye that's THE order for the Epilogue to be honest ha. The epilogue is great because it's pretty clear based on certain clues what story missions go where.

One thing I don't like about the Epilogue which I feel is a small plot hole is that John leaves Sadie for a long time after leaving Pronghorn when we do the above order. However, there isn't really much choice because doing The Landowning Classes/Home of The Gentry before Gainful Employment seems to be canon because during An Honest Day's Labors Sadie KNOWS that Uncle is staying with John (which she mentions in a conversation) no matter which order you do and the only time John tells Sadie about this is if we do that order. But then after Landowning Classes John literally grows his hair and beard longer and STILL hasn't seen Sadie yet.

Thanks Jimmy 🤠

Agree that order seems canon The Landowning Classes/Home of The Gentry before Gainful Employment to me too.    And in principle, I don't mind leaving Sadie too long - John has a lot on his plate, what with missing Abigail, working the ranch, then trying to buy that land for her, etc.   Seems like that would take priority.  What I don't like is the growing hair and beard without my input.   I prefer him clean shaven, though the long hair is nice.   That and the outfits that he changes into without my say-so.  hehe

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
12 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Just do all of the bounties as Arthur except for the ones that can only be done as John. Like the blackwater ones for example. Do you still encounter the prisoners Arthur took in 7 years ago as John even if all bounties for a given town were completed?

12 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Also that is addressed after doing the first carriage robbery with Trelawny. Arthur says he is hesitant to return to Strawberry, and trelawny says that everyone who saw him there is dead. So I assumed strawberry has a new sheriff after that mission that doesn’t recognize Arthur. 

Sean800

Chapter 3 is my favourite chapter because the story clearly isn't rushed (unlike Chapter 4) and you can explore the area, do quite a few stranger missions without bothering and even canonically go back to Strawberry twice.

As soon as Chapter 4 starts everything's rushed, there clearly is no time to do anything else (if you don't force it out, like I do) because the gang's in critical conditions.

Then Chapter 5's even worse and Chapter 6... well it's a redemption arc. Not much to say. 

Dan_1983
18 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

That's the whole point with Strawberry and Rhodes in that Arthur killed both towns sheriff and deputies that no law will recognise him. Trelawny points this out about Strawberry. 

From the way people talk about the Grays in Rhodes, I doubt any tears were shed over Sheriff Gray. He was a drunk and his deputy was an idiot.

Also the sheriff Arthur and Micah kill in Strawberry doesn't look like the friendliest of people.

• Like 3

LucidLocomotive
3 hours ago, Sean800 said:

Chapter 3 is my favourite chapter because the story clearly isn't rushed (unlike Chapter 4) and you can explore the area, do quite a few stranger missions without bothering and even canonically go back to Strawberry twice.

As soon as Chapter 4 starts everything's rushed, there clearly is no time to do anything else (if you don't force it out, like I do) because the gang's in critical conditions.

Then Chapter 5's even worse and Chapter 6... well it's a redemption arc. Not much to say. 

When are the two times you canonically go back to strawberry? For the completionists, do you think those are the times when Arthur would most likely discover the stuff in ambarino like the gems, the panoramic Map, jenny's grave, the Mexican gunslinger, the devil cave, the pagan ritual site, and all of that stuff? Or you think some of those work better in chapter 2?

2 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

That's the whole point with Strawberry and Rhodes in that Arthur killed both towns sheriff and deputies that no law will recognise him. Trelawny points this out about Strawberry. 

From the way people talk about the Grays in Rhodes, I doubt any tears were shed over Sheriff Gray. He was a drunk and his deputy was an idiot.

Also the sheriff Arthur and Micah kill in Strawberry doesn't look like the friendliest of people.

Also noticed the old Sherriff says they dont work with bounty hunters. Its not until they get a new sheriff that that policy seems to change. 

SoulSurj
1 hour ago, LucidLocomotive said:

When are the two times you canonically go back to strawberry? For the completionists, do you think those are the times when Arthur would most likely discover the stuff in ambarino like the gems, the panoramic Map, jenny's grave, the Mexican gunslinger, the devil cave, the pagan ritual site, and all of that stuff? Or you think some of those work better in chapter 2?

Also noticed the old Sherriff says they dont work with bounty hunters. Its not until they get a new sheriff that that policy seems to change. 

I know Money Lending IV makes you go to Strawberry but I'm not sure about a second reason to visit. I guess the coach robbery unlocked after Friends in Very Low Places can be a reason to go back there but I'm pretty sure these missions happen on the same day. Maybe the rock carvings.

The graves and panoramic map locations seem like they're meant to be visited by John. I don't think the gunslinger missions start until chapter 4 at least.

• Like 1

Sean800
2 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

The Winton Holmes mission ends in Strawberry, where you sell the pelt. 

Then after Trelawny's mission.

• Like 1

Dan_1983
2 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

After Friends in Low Places as this is when Trelawny and Arthur talk about Strawberry.

I usually spend 3 or 4 days that way in Chapter 3 by doing all 3 of Hector's robberies, Watson's Cabin and finishing off the Appleseed Timber Company strand.

• Like 3

Looser3241

When there's no clear indication that the next missions need to be done ASAP, I usually take this "free" time to explore the world. I mean, Dutch and Grimshaw encourage you, sometimes annoyingly, to leave the camp and explore. One of those dialogues even has Grimshaw disappointed in Arthur saying that he "used to be a man of action" 

Of course, due to game events, i tend to avoid certain places. Like: st denis 'til chapter 4, valentine after the cornwall shootout, strawberry between the micah rescue and friends in low places, etc. But, i see no problem in going to regions like roanoke ridge or west elizabeth in these "free from missions" periods.

• Like 2

jimmyoneshot
On 4/17/2022 at 10:56 PM, SoulSurj said:

It's probably a bug but in case you want more info I've been looking into some of the bounties recently. Here's what I've found out...

The Strawberry and Rhodes bounties spawn after shootouts but Trelawney does mention that areas can be revisited for work because most of the people who could recognize the gang aren't around anymore. It seems like these bounties can work for both characters.

The San Denis one is connected to The Mercies of Knowledge stranger quest. The sheriff will comment about it if you finish the entire stranger quest and then go to pick up the bounty. This one's probably Arthur.

The sheriff will comment about the player returning for the Valentine bounty so it's likely this Bounty is meant to be done shortly after Snake Oil. It could possibly fit shortly after American Dreams but this one's probably Arthur as well.

Ye I'm almost certain it's a bug myself because stuff always carries over from Arthur to John for me. I have people reacting to John in Strawberry like he was the one who shot the place up sometimes ha. Also each prisoner you interact with has 3 lines of dialogue and if you speak to them as Arthur once or twice then they will only have the remaining 1 or 2 lines for John e.g. If you trigger dialogue 1 as Arthur they will only say dialogue 2 and 3 to John rather than 1, 2 and 3 so it definitely seems a bit screwy.

Ye that's true. Even with the Trelawny comment, it feels strange to me for Arthur to just walk into the Sheriff's but you're right it seems the game intended us to be doing stuff as Arthur in a lot of cases.

Good point about The Mercies of Knowledge as during that one when asked if he knows the Sheriff Arthur says "as well as anyone" even if you haven't met the sheriff yet which I forgot about earlier so maybe doing the Wofford bounty before that was intended which is what I used to do a while back.

Ye I think that one fits either too because each sheriff has a generic list of lines for when players come back a second time except in the case of Valentine where John can only do 1 bounty. I do like doing American Dreams late on as Arthur too. I don't like my healthy Arthur or John getting knocked out so easily but it makes sense when Arthur is sick ha.

20 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Do you still encounter the prisoners Arthur took in 7 years ago as John even if all bounties for a given town were completed?

Ye they still appear Lucid. Pretty sure it's a bug though. Rockstar should've despawned them at the end of Chapter 6 probably.

jimmyoneshot
9 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

I know Money Lending IV makes you go to Strawberry but I'm not sure about a second reason to visit. I guess the coach robbery unlocked after Friends in Very Low Places can be a reason to go back there but I'm pretty sure these missions happen on the same day. Maybe the rock carvings.

The graves and panoramic map locations seem like they're meant to be visited by John. I don't think the gunslinger missions start until chapter 4 at least.

When I used to do 100% playthroughs I used to head to Strawberry after Trelawny makes the comment about it during Friends In Very Low Places, do Emmet Granger on the way and grab Sadie's harmonica request from his house. Then I'd collect the Winton Holmes debt and hang around Strawberry for 2 days or so doing everything there such as the Joshua Bounty and Hector coach robberies while also doing Watson's Cabin and Flaco Hernandez while there because this is the closest point we get to it. Felt like a short holiday for Arthur 😂

jimmyoneshot
14 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Ye maybe. I still kind of think that a few of the bounties suit either/or of them. I like the idea of doing just Good Honest Snake Oil, Lindsey Wofford and Joshua Brown as Arthur and then doing the rest as John because it gives John reasons to revisit some of the old towns and meet people like Mary-Beth and Pearson while he's there for example.

Dan_1983
7 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye maybe. I still kind of think that a few of the bounties suit either/or of them. I like the idea of doing just Good Honest Snake Oil, Lindsey Wofford and Joshua Brown as Arthur and then doing the rest as John because it gives John reasons to revisit some of the old towns and meet people like Mary-Beth and Pearson while he's there for example.

I don't do too many as Arthur as bounty hunting suits John more and by the time Chapter 4 comes along, Arthur normally has a few thousand in his pocket.

• Like 1

roo_fus
On 4/16/2022 at 9:00 PM, LucidLocomotive said:

Do you know of any other point where you can naturally stumble upon the severed leg, and naturally make use of the hitch a ride mechanic?

I think it's pretty natural to stumble upon that leg any time you come or go into Valentine from camp, it's right off the main roads and rather noticeable. I did it last game when I went looking for Jack Hall Gang treasure. 

According to the wiki the sheriff apparently has a line of dialogue mentioning the killings too, I wasn't aware of that, would be interesting to see what he says.

As far as hitch a ride goes, I have no idea, I forgot that even was a feature ha. It would make sense after "A Quiet Time" as well if you escape the law, but then you miss out on a fun cutscene waking up in jail with Lenny.