3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

Dan_1983

I don't know how reliable the Red Dead Wiki is, but the newspaper editions that mentions the Valentine bank robbery are available after Magicians for Sport. Yet most of us on this thread does that mission before Soddom Back to Gamorrah.

Edited by Dan_1983

LucidLocomotive
6 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

I don't know how reliable the Red Dead Wiki is, but the newspaper editions that mentions the Valentine bank robbery are available after Magicians for Sport. Yet most of us on this thread does that mission before Soddom Back to Gamorrah.

Does it still mention the robbery if you haven’t done it yet?

Dan_1983
3 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

I don't know. 

SoulSurj
On 4/5/2022 at 1:25 AM, LucidLocomotive said:

oh wow youre right! I didnt even realize my horse teleported because I must've just got sucked into the mission. please let me know if smoking and other hobbies works after quiet time (successful escape version). Walking to the train station definitely seems intended in some sense because its sort of the main focal point once you wake up next to the tree. I guess Arthur would be walking there to play a quick game of poker though, because he doesnt know he has a random stranger side mission waiting for him there, obviously. Another issue though is whether or not escaping is even canon. Clearly its the rewarded way to finish the mission, but getting caught does provide a long ass extra cutscene with further character relations. Im on the fence about that one.

I'll check and see if Smoking and Other Hobbies fits there. Even if the escape isn't canon it probably won't make a difference because some side missions don't seem to make sense with where mission locations are and will have to be traveled to at random. A lot of the Valentine missions don't fit with the main story locations because they spawn during or have content that's introduced in chapter 4. From what I can tell... the side missions are meant to take place during times when story missions don't take up the majority of a day, like when Dutch goes to get John before the gang meets Brante. The mission starts at 9:00 pm but Arthur spawns in town between 9:00-10:00 am.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:25 AM, LucidLocomotive said:

There are other gold medal objectives in the game which are clearly not canon/naturally intended. One big example is a short walk in a pretty town. The mission introduces explosive shotgun shells by having a double barrel shotgun loaded with them leaning against the general store wall right before you go inside. You even get a unique special pop-up window saying "this weapon is loaded with explosive rounds" or something like that. Yet, one of the gold medal objectives is to only use sidearms. Another obvious example would be the timed ones. You can only get gold on "Old Friends" if you skip cutscenes and constantly make Arthur sprint like a video game character basically. However I tend to lean towards the canon approach to missions involving achieving all the gold objectives that can be done without breaking the natural flow of the mission. So like the gilded cage, it seems obvious that getting all of the special interactions is canonical

The missions with keys next to them in the replay menu seem to give you the option to recieve a gold medal without any issues. The rest are usually silver with an occasional bronze.

Sean800

What's the point of using dynamite in the Valentine robbery? Arthur was brought there specifically for his high skills in cracking safes.

As for A Quiet Time, I agree that getting arrested is the logicalest choice. Gonna have to ignore the gold medal objective, next time.

LucidLocomotive
1 hour ago, Sean800 said:

What's the point of using dynamite in the Valentine robbery? Arthur was brought there specifically for his high skills in cracking safes.

As for A Quiet Time, I agree that getting arrested is the logicalest choice. Gonna have to ignore the gold medal objective, next time.

I agree that its stupid because cracking fast enough lets you go longer before the shootout, but apparently Arthur will always tell John they used dynamite, and the newspaper will too. 

Sean800
2 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

I agree that its stupid because cracking fast enough lets you go longer before the shootout, but apparently Arthur will always tell John they used dynamite, and the newspaper will too. 

Also Arthur doesn't even feel like going back to that town at first, so I think it's obvious he'd pick the quietest method.

I heard about the newspaper. What can I say, this game's story is very detailed but sometimes some weird stuff like this turns out.

About the quote, it is not a big deal imo. Lenny and Arthur got the dynamite that was supposed to be used for the bank job. Then, once they were already in Valentine, Arthur decided to go for an easier way. That's headcanon I know, but it can fit.

• Like 1

LucidLocomotive
On 4/5/2022 at 6:56 AM, jimmyoneshot said:

No problem Lucid. Are you sure about the newspaper always saying they were blown? I always thought it changed based on which option you chose but I'd have to double-check myself. However I do know that no matter which option you chose to deal with the safes that during the mission Battle Of Shady Belle at the end of Chapter 3 Arthur always mentions the dynamite to John which implies that he likely used it. I made a video of the conversation here and this was after me cracking the safes and not blowing them up:-

Regarding likely 'canon' choices Off the top of my head:-

• A Quiet Time - Both Arthur and Lenny got arrested as spoke about above
  • Exit Pursued - Arthur and Hosea split up because during Spins Of America Arthur says "clearly you've recovered from YOUR bear encounter" and jokes about the encounter at the end of the mission too which implies that Hosea was alone when faced by the bear otherwise technically they would've BOTH had the bear encounter
  • Spines - Robbed in day time as spoke about above plus the name of the mission "Spines" is a play on words which suggests Hosea used the back massage distraction
  • New South - Arthur likely went fishing because during Honest Mistake Uncle says "while you boys been off fishing or playing lawman..." which likely refers to fishing in the mission New South and helping the law in both New South and/or American Distillation
  • Preaching Forgiveness - Lenny sent in to "Charm" the raiders first because the name of the mission suggests Lenny was "preaching" and if you speak to Lenny during the ride to Valentine in Sodom several times he talks about the events of preaching and says "those boys would've liked nothing better than to string me up" to which Arthur replies "that weren't gonna happen" which suggests Arthur sent Lenny in to charm them
  • Sodom - Blew up safes as mentioned above
  • A Rage Unleashed and Archeology for Beginners - During Fine Art Of Conversation when Arthur is listening in from the tent on the 2 soldiers talking they mention how the vaccines were stolen which Arthur does for Monroe during the mission Honor Amongst Thieves. However to unlock this mission you must first accept when Charles asks you to speak to Rains Fall at the end of A Rage Unleashed which unlocks Archeology for Beginners and during Arcology For Beginners you must accept Monroe's request for help which unlocks Honor Amongst Thieves

I think that's it regarding actual in-mission choices where dialogue suggests which option was taken and the rest are up for interpretation.

Do you know if there is any way to avoid Arthur saying that to John about the dynamite? Such as doing the mission at day vs night or something like that?

Dan_1983
31 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Do you know if there is any way to avoid Arthur saying that to John about the dynamite? Such as doing the mission at day vs night or something like that?

You can't do The Battle of Shady Belle at night, as it automatically follows on from the previous mission Blood Feuds, Ancient and Modern. Regardless of how you opened the safes during the bank robbery, Arthur will always mention the dynamite to John.

Here's a link to the bank robbery newspaper article if anyone is interested.

https://reddead.fandom.com/wiki/Bank_Robbed

• Like 2

LucidLocomotive

This might be off topic but it fits a similar sort of concept, does anyone know what determines whether an animation will fully complete? For example, the mission enter pursued by a memory (second mission, saving John). When you get to the part where you learn about jumping/climbing, it seems like there is a 50/50 chance Arthur will properly jump up to grab or ledge, or he will just sort of jankily glitch or teleport up to a hanging position before pulling himself up. I tried jumping while standing still, while walking, while walking with the analogue stick only half way, etc. 

Also, when the last platform is climbed up onto, Arthur shivers and says “damn it’s cold”. When this happens there is like a 90% chance he will jankily go from him shivering, self hugging position, back to his normal walking position. Only one time, I got him to fully complete the shivering, where he did the self hug and then shook his hands a bit and then naturally went back to walking normally. I wonder what determines these things. 

JonnyTNT7
On 4/5/2022 at 9:11 PM, LucidLocomotive said:

The newspaper doesn’t mention the robbery if it’s not been done. In general I’ve found the game very good with its newspaper continuity, but they’re an absolute nightmare to try and “solve”. The wiki doesn’t list every article a given issue can have - for instance, one of my papers has an article about Albert Mason which doesn’t appear online - and there seem to be so many possibilities that it would be very difficult to work out exactly how many articles an issue can theoretically have. Also, even though I did Allbright’s bounty before PFO, the PFO paper makes no mention of it - so it seems that sometimes articles won’t always appear. Finally, there seem to be regional differences in the papers - there’s a piece about how hard life in Rhodes is which only seems to appear in the Lemoyne edition. So I think the newspapers would be a very difficult case to solve, and even then they might not tell us much.

• Like 3

LucidLocomotive
On 4/6/2022 at 10:46 AM, SoulSurj said:

like when Dutch goes to get John before the gang meets Brante. The mission starts at 9:00 pm but Arthur spawns in town between 9:00-10:00 am.

Could you elaborate on this? What mission do you mean? But mostly, what do you mean Arthur spawns into town? Like in the middle of the mission? And are you saying that a side mission should be done before/after that mission because of this? I’m confused but very curious about this

Dan_1983
1 hour ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Could you elaborate on this? What mission do you mean? But mostly, what do you mean Arthur spawns into town? Like in the middle of the mission? And are you saying that a side mission should be done before/after that mission because of this? I’m confused but very curious about this

After the Joys of Civilisation, Arthur will spawn in the market place and it will be 9-10 am. Yet the next mission where Arthur, Dutch and John meet Bronte doesn't start until 9pm, so you have hours to kill in the meantime.

Looser3241

this time warp is a bit weird. They go out to Saint Denis in the morning-midday, then i assume they take a couple of hours til they find Bronte, then Dutch goes to get John, getting to Saint Denis at night-ish time. So, from a narrative standpoint, the times make sense, however, after Dutch leaves to find John the time just warps to the morning again, kinda ruining the continuity...

Another instance of weird time shenanigans is after the Uncle Cattle Rustling mission, in which the time freezes (at 6 am, if i remember correctly). I actually kinda like that, cause imo, the time goes by too fast on rdr2;

LucidLocomotive
5 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

this time warp is a bit weird. They go out to Saint Denis in the morning-midday, then i assume they take a couple of hours til they find Bronte, then Dutch goes to get John, getting to Saint Denis at night-ish time. So, from a narrative standpoint, the times make sense, however, after Dutch leaves to find John the time just warps to the morning again, kinda ruining the continuity...

Another instance of weird time shenanigans is after the Uncle Cattle Rustling mission, in which the time freezes (at 6 am, if i remember correctly). I actually kinda like that, cause imo, the time goes by too fast on rdr2;

I agree about time going too fast. I wish for activities like poker games, the time would switch to real time or at least slow it to 5 minutes per hour instead of 2. There've been so many times ive started playing poker in the evening, and by the time the game ends (everyone is busted out or leaves) its already the next day!

jimmyoneshot

Random question but does anyone know all of the instances where people tell us about home/shop robberies which makes it then appear in the task list? For example, if we rescue one of the prisoners who wants his chains shot off he tells us about either Watson's Cabin or Aberdeen Pig Farm and an entry for either of those gets added to the task list until we have done the robbery.

Tilly telling us about the Valentine Dr is another one.

These are all of the homesteads:-

• Aberdeen Pig Farm
  • Catfish Jacksons
  • Chez Porter
  • Lonnie’s Shack
  • Van Horn Mansion
  • Watson’s Cabin
  • Willard’s Rest

But I can't remember if we get a 'tip' for each of these somewhere and I also can't remember if we also ever get tips for shop robberies besides the one from Tilly mentioned above.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

JonnyTNT7
27 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Random question but does anyone know all of the instances where people tell us about home/shop robberies which makes it then appear in the task list?

Hey Jimmy, I can add two to your list which I got while playing tonight: a shackled prisoner just outside Clemens told me about Catfish Jackson’s, and the bounty who claims to be mistaken for his brother told me about the poker game in Saint Denis. I saved him near Emerald Ranch.

To be honest I think each homestead probably has a possible tip and it just depends where you get the chance encounter. Might be interesting to find out if a certain encounter gives tips for a certain type of robbery, eg prisoners give homesteads and bounties give shops. Probably not but you never know.

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
22 minutes ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Hey Jimmy, I can add two to your list which I got while playing tonight: a shackled prisoner just outside Clemens told me about Catfish Jackson’s, and the bounty who claims to be mistaken for his brother told me about the poker game in Saint Denis. I saved him near Emerald Ranch.

To be honest I think each homestead probably has a possible tip and it just depends where you get the chance encounter. Might be interesting to find out if a certain encounter gives tips for a certain type of robbery, eg prisoners give homesteads and bounties give shops. Probably not but you never know.

Thanks very much bud. I thought it'd be an interesting thing to compile if I can so I'll keep an eye out for those 👍

I think I've had a homeless guy in Saint Denis tell me about the card game in the gunsmith but I think it didn't actually add it as an item to the task list. It may be that only homestead type robberies get added to the task list with Tilly's tip about the Doctor being the only exception perhaps.

BrandyNova
1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Random question but does anyone know all of the instances where people tell us about home/shop robberies which makes it then appear in the task list? For example, if we rescue one of the prisoners who wants his chains shot off he tells us about either Watson's Cabin or Aberdeen Pig Farm and an entry for either of those gets added to the task list until we have done the robbery.

• Aberdeen Pig Farm
  • Catfish Jacksons
  • Chez Porter
  • Lonnie’s Shack
  • Van Horn Mansion
  • Watson’s Cabin
  • Willard’s Rest

But I can't remember if we get a 'tip' for each of these somewhere and I also can't remember if we also ever get tips for shop robberies besides the one from Tilly mentioned above.

Someone tells us about the gunshop in Saint Denis, but I can't remember who?  @JonnyTNT7 is that the one with the poker game?

Edited by BrandyNova
  • Like 2

BrandyNova

Hey folks, been a while.  Been fun catching up on all the discussions!    🤠

I am finishing up with Chapter 6, and might post my final list if y'all are interested.  It took a lot of experimentation, but I've been happy with the flow, emphasizing the story elements that I consider most important.

Now I am moving into the Epilogue, and would love to hear all y'all's thoughts on the order there.

Also mods for John in the epilogue - any favorites?

• Like 3

SoulSurj
Just now, BrandyNova said:

Also mods for John in the epilogue - any favorites?

I think one of the restoration mods would be a nice start since John isn't actually supposed to have a beard or look quite like he does in the epilogue.

12 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

Yeah... that's why I think there's supposed to be some kind of mission after Joys of Civilization. The only one that I can see taking up enough time in San Denis is "The Mercies of Knowledge," although the dialogue makes it seem like parts IV through VII are meant to be played on seperate days from I-III. Any other mission would either be too short or require Arthur to leave town.

12 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

Paying a Social Call also seems to freeze time around 5:30 even after the mission ends. The time moves normally during side missions and random encounters or when the game is saved and reloaded.

Dan_1983
7 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

• Aberdeen Pig Farm
  • Catfish Jacksons
  • Chez Porter
  • Lonnie’s Shack
  • Van Horn Mansion
  • Watson’s Cabin
  • Willard’s Rest

It varies by chance and not everyone you rescue will give you a robbery tip either like the Mexican female in the prison wagon. Sometimes because these shackled prisoners get caught, they'll give you another tip if you help them again.

Off the top of my head.

Strawberry store moonshine operation - usually from the guy you rescue from bounty hunters in West Elizabeth/New Hanover.

Watson's Cabin - shackled prisoner who spawns between Horseshoe and Flatneck where Norbert usually spawns. I think this is the same prisoner who will give you the Valentine Doctor tip if Tilly hasn't already. Sometimes he'll mention Chez Porter instead if he spawns at Citadel Rock.

Aberdeen Pig Farm - shackled prisoner who usually spawns near Dewberry Creek or near the bottle tree.

Lonnie's Shack -   female in prison wagon who killed her husband for beating her.

Willard's Rest - usually a second tip from the shackled prisoner who gives you Catfish Jackson's

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 3

JonnyTNT7
6 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

Someone tells us about the gunshop in Saint Denis, but I can't remember who?  @JonnyTNT7 is that the one with the poker game?

That’s the one. The “mistaken bounty” random event told me there was a “high-rolling poker game above the Saint Denis gunstore” or something like that.

• Like 3

LucidLocomotive
1 hour ago, Dan_1983 said:

It varies by chance and not everyone you rescue will give you a robbery tip either like the Mexican female in the prison wagon. Sometimes because these shackled prisoners get caught, they'll give you another tip if you help them again.

Off the top of my head.

Strawberry store moonshine operation - usually from the guy you rescue from bounty hunters in West Elizabeth/New Hanover.

Watson's Cabin - shackled prisoner who spawns between Horseshoe and Flatneck where Norbert usually spawns. I think this is the same prisoner who will give you the Valentine Doctor tip if Tilly hasn't already. Sometimes he'll mention Chez Porter instead if he spawns at Citadel Rock.

Aberdeen Pig Farm - shackled prisoner who usually spawns near Dewberry Creek or near the bottle tree.

Lonnie's Shack -   female in prison wagon who killed her husband for beating her.

Willard's Rest - usually a second tip from the shackled prisoner who gives you Catfish Jackson's

Do you know if the conditions for getting valentine gunstore robbery to leave the task log were ever figured out? Or is it still impossible to do?

• Like 1

Dan_1983
46 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Do you know if the conditions for getting valentine gunstore robbery to leave the task log were ever figured out? Or is it still impossible to do?

I'm afraid I don't.

It seems to permanently stay in your log regardless if you done it or not.

Edited by Dan_1983
  • Like 1

JonnyTNT7
10 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

I think it didn't actually add it as an item to the task list. It may be that only homestead type robberies get added to the task list with Tilly's tip about the Doctor being the only exception perhaps.

Just gone on to check and the gunsmith shop robbery has indeed appeared in my tasklist, just like all the homestead robberies.

• Like 1

Looser3241
5 hours ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

That’s the one. The “mistaken bounty” random event told me there was a “high-rolling poker game above the Saint Denis gunstore” or something like that.

Mistaken Bounty random event? I usually get that tip from the drunk guy lying on the streets asking for money.

Also, Pearson gives Javier the Watson's cabin robbery tip in a camp conversation. The guy didn't approach the conversation in this video, however, if you do, Javier will ask if Arthur knows about it, to which Arthur will respond "I know all about it (or something like that)" which is a bit weird and vague thing to say lol.

• Like 1

JonnyTNT7
1 hour ago, Looser3241 said:

Mistaken Bounty random event? I usually get that tip from the drunk guy lying on the streets asking for money.

Yeah, I’m still in chapter 3 on my current game. I freed the bounty who claims to have been mixed up with his brother in a field near Emerald Ranch and he gave me the poker shop robbery tip.

Incidentally, is there a guaranteed way to get the woman who wants a ride to Lagras to spawn? That seems like a pretty good way to get the special fishing lures in chapter 3, while keeping swamp exploration to a minimum. After doing Lilly Millet’s money lending a woman who wanted a lift to Valentine would always spawn - anything similar been found?

• Like 1

jimmyoneshot
9 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Off the top of my head.

So far just from riding around and reloading in Chapter 2 I've found these:-

• Watson's Cabin = Guy rescued from prison wagon near twin stack pass
  • Lonnie's Shack = Woman who killed her husband rescued from prison wagon near twin stack pass
  • Valentine Doctor's Office - Tilly at camp just after triggering Money Lending 1
  • Rocky Seven = Charlotte's Stalker
  • Chez Porter = Guy in chains in the bushes on the way to Flatneck Station
  • Catfish Jackson = Guy in chains near Dewberry Creek
4 hours ago, JonnyTNT7 said:

Just gone on to check and the gunsmith shop robbery has indeed appeared in my tasklist, just like all the homestead robberies.

Cool I'll see if I can find that mistaken bounty event.

Edited by jimmyoneshot

BrandyNova
14 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

I think one of the restoration mods would be a nice start since John isn't actually supposed to have a beard or look quite like he does in the epilogue.

I spent the day trying several different mods.  Most depend on the John Marston Restoration Project - his face looks great, but there is a significant mismatch between his neck and body - it is very apparent with his shirt collar open.  Deal breaker for me.  

So I'll go mod free, and John will just have to look off a bit.

Hey @jimmyoneshot  do you recall which of the JMRP files were specifically for the gloves?