3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 - "Chronological" Mission Order

Spydr Webz

11 minutes ago, Dan_1983 said:

The trophy for completing the epilogue is called Endless Summer, so my guess is the epilogue takes place in the middle months of 1907.

Or maybe just a Bully easter egg? As the final chapter is called endless summer there. Just as rdr2, you're free to free roam forever.

But, yeah, could be indicative that the epilogue takes place in the summer.

13 minutes ago, Looser3241 said:

Or maybe just a Bully easter egg? As the final chapter is called endless summer there. Just as rdr2, you're free to free roam forever.

But, yeah, could be indicative that the epilogue takes place in the summer.

Now that's a game I haven't played in years haha. Bully was fun. But yes Chapter 6 in Bully is called Endless Summer.

Just found a cutscene I've never actually come across before. When you start Fisher Of Men after 6pm an alternative cutscene plays where Arthur sleeps until morning during the mission cutscene before taking Jack fishing. I always just assumed this mission would fast forward time to morning like most missions do. I've made a quick video of how the cutscene looks before and after 6pm:-

22 minutes ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Just found a cutscene I've never actually come across before. When you start Fisher Of Men after 6pm an alternative cutscene plays where Arthur sleeps until morning during the mission cutscene before taking Jack fishing. I always just assumed this mission would fast forward time to morning like most missions do. I've made a quick video of how the cutscene looks before and after 6pm:-

Amazing. Exactly the kind of thing I will be looking for in my next playthrough. Love how they went as far as alternative cutscenes like this. So much attention to detail in unexpected ways.

1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Wow. Dialogue is slightly different too as Abigail doesn't refer to John as a useless father lol.

6 hours ago, jimmyoneshot said:

There's many of them throughout the game.

The sheep and the goats

A fine night of debauchery

The landlowing classes

Edited by Arthur john

12 hours ago, Looser3241 said:

I love rockstar's attention to detail. 

Sodom back to Gomorrah also has a similar cutscene. If you start it at night, Arthur mentions that they will leave at morning and there's a small cutscene of Arthur, just after waking up, wearing the robbery outfit near his tent.

Don't they leave the next morning if you start the mission in the morning too?

4 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Don't they leave the next morning if you start the mission in the morning too?

Yes, this mission will always skip the time to early morning, but there's no indication of a day passing, going by just the cutscenes it seems that they're leaving just after changing clothes.

I guess this could mean, for the chronological order, that the mission is supposed to be started early morning, so there's no time discrepancy, or, perhaps started at night. However, Karen says the line "i have to get changed out of this rags" at night time too, which doesn't make sense considering they're leaving in the morning;

I usually start Soddom late at night so it goes to the next morning.

I just noticed after the second Central Union railroad mission, that if you don't visit within a few days,  then the camp and the third encounter (where they allow you to take supplies) will be gone.

Also I came across a new encounter I've never seen before. This time it's a black woman stuck under a horse near Bolder Glade and Braithwaite Manor. She asks Arthur to take her into Saint Denis. 

2 hours ago, Dan_1983 said:

Same here, but she has a point at that time in the game. John doesn't care until Jack is kidnapped.

That's an interesting point.  Does John not care?  Or is he just unsure about how to be a father?  Or not sure Jack is his son?  I've never been too sure what motivates him, tbh.  Perhaps it is better understood if I'd played RDR1?

12 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

That's an interesting point.  Does John not care?  Or is he just unsure about how to be a father?  Or not sure Jack is his son?  I've never been too sure what motivates him, tbh.  Perhaps it is better understood if I'd played RDR1?

John doesn't care at first but he starts to gain more feelings for his family as the game progresses because he starts losing faith in Dutch. Unfortunately, a lot of John's development takes place in random camp interactions that'll be missed 90% of the time because most people don't stay at camp for too long.

4 hours ago, SoulSurj said:

John doesn't care at first but he starts to gain more feelings for his family as the game progresses because he starts losing faith in Dutch. Unfortunately, a lot of John's development takes place in random camp interactions that'll be missed 90% of the time because most people don't stay at camp for too long.

I remember him talking to Sadie about his family in Chapter 4, in fact, John regrets not helping Jack when you go to Bronte's house so I think his development it's more notorious in chapter 4

20 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

He definitely seems to be motivated by his family in the first game, almost entirely. In the second game, I think John's uncertainty about who fathered Jack makes it difficult to accept Jack as family, leading to a rift with Abigail. Then events in chapter 4 make John realize his love for Jack matters more than his doubts.

(By the way, I highly recommend you play RDR1 😉)

2 hours ago, luckycanadian95 said:

He definitely seems to be motivated by his family in the first game, almost entirely. In the second game, I think John's uncertainty about who fathered Jack makes it difficult to accept Jack as family, leading to a rift with Abigail. Then events in chapter 4 make John realize his love for Jack matters more than his doubts.

(By the way, I highly recommend you play RDR1 😉)

Ah yeah that works for me :) 

I plan on it when I'm done with this playthrough! Though I'll have to use an emulator.  Anyone used one before? 

On 3/3/2022 at 5:21 AM, BrandyNova said:

I think another point is that John wants to avoid the responsibility of being a father; the responsibility of being in a marriage, much preferring a free life where he can do as he pleases. In fact, he even ran away from the gang, abandoning his responsibilities to his family and the gang. 

Seeing John mistreating Abigail and Jack is a MASSIVE contrast to RDR1 John. You can see how much character development he underwent.

5 hours ago, BrandyNova said:

Ah yeah that works for me :) 

I plan on it when I'm done with this playthrough! Though I'll have to use an emulator.  Anyone used one before? 

Never used a xbox or ps3 emulator, but i heard they're good. However, you'll need a pretty beefy pc to run it.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:26 PM, Dan_1983 said:

The trophy for completing the epilogue is called Endless Summer, so my guess is the epilogue takes place in the middle months of 1907.

I thought the Endless Summer throphy was called this way because it takes an eternity for you to finish the game and "Summer" is refering to kids vacation in school. Like: you spent your entire school summer break playing RDR2.

Edited by Wolfman_
English.

2 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

I thought the Endless Summer throphy was called this way because it takes an eternity for you to finish the game and "Summer" is refering to kids vacation in school. Like: you spent your entire school summer break playing RDR2.

I look at it just like how it originaly appeared in Bully, its summer break and since its so long you get to do everything that you want in it.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:21 AM, BrandyNova said:

I think it's a mixture of all the above. Mainly though I would say he's confused and doesn't know how to deal with it so he puts up barriers. He ran away for a year and he keeps his tent quite a distance away from both Jack and Abigail in the earlier camps. But there are signs even early on that he does care somewhat. I believe it's in The Sheep and The Goats where he's clearly not happy that Arthur took Jack fishing. That always comes across as quite territorial to me.

I believe John always cared about Abigal and Jack but he's afraid/unsure on how to be a father and a husband for that matter. He tries to run away from the responsibility until he can't anymore.

Jack being kidnapped is certainly the turning point for his relationship with his son and Abigail. John begins to understand the damage of his absence and this character growth wouldn't be possible if he didn't care about his family in the first place.

Summarizing: John does care.

Edited by Wolfman_
English.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

Ye collecting them all is basically a full day job.

I played through all three debts recently and found out they take about 6 or 7 hours without random encounters so ML can still be started before a mission but it has to end in the afternoon or later because the camp stew is made at the end of the last cutscene.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, jimmyoneshot said:

I'm wondering if this reminder takes place after a set number of missions perhaps. For example, if you do any 3 missions Dutch is scripted to start approaching maybe. Maybe this is why a lot of people have seen the reminder after First Shall Be The Last because most people do At Rest, Without Sin and First Shall Be The Last as the first 3 missions in whatever order.

I think you're right about this. It also looks like Dutch's dialogue is tied to his reminder of meeting up with Trelawney and the others after Americans at Rest. I played through At Rest, Without Sin, and Exit Pursued but Dutch didn't tell me to help Strauss until after reminding me about helping Sean. As soon as I talked to Dutch about Sean he immediately told me to help Strauss. I think you're meant to talk to Dutch about Sean on day 1 but if you play a third mission he immediately tells you to help Strauss when you return to camp, as long as no one else wants to talk to you.

Edited by SoulSurj

9 minutes ago, SoulSurj said:

I think you're right about this. It also looks like Dutch's dialogue is tied to his reminder of meeting up with Trelawney and the others after Americans at Rest. I played through At Rest, Without Sin, and Exit Pursued but Dutch didn't tell me to help Strauss until after reminding me about helping Sean. As soon as I talked to Dutch about Sean he immediately told me to help Strauss. I think you're meant to talk to Dutch about Sean on day 1 but if you play a third mission he immediately tells you to help Strauss when you return to camp, as long as no one else wants to talk to you.

Thanks Soul. I'll have another look into this tomorrow. Another thing I noticed to bear in mind is that Dutch only approaches about Money Lending if you're standing/walking around at certain spots in camp. If you walk around the right hand side of his tent or the front he never makes the approach. But if you walk towards the back-left of his tent or the area behind the tent he makes a beeline for Arthur. Here's a video of me testing it out a while back:-

1 hour ago, jimmyoneshot said:

Thanks Soul. I'll have another look into this tomorrow. Another thing I noticed to bear in mind is that Dutch only approaches about Money Lending if you're standing/walking around at certain spots in camp. If you walk around the right hand side of his tent or the front he never makes the approach. But if you walk towards the back-left of his tent or the area behind the tent he makes a beeline for Arthur.

Strange, it seemed like when I talked to Dutch after Exit he never had to leave his tent and I could talk to him in front of it for the dialogue to start. I might be misremembering though.

I just finished testing a chapter 2 order. Side missions haven't been factored in yet but it includes every main mission. I'll leave it here for people to test out themselves...

Americans at Rest

Who is Not Without Sin

Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego

Money Lending and Other Sins I

Money Lending and Other Sins II

The First Shall Be Last

Polite Society Valentine Style

Good Honest Snake Oil

Paying a Social Call

The Spines of America

We Loved Once and True I

Money Lending and Other Sins III

Pouring Forth Oil I

Pouring Forth Oil II

Pouring Forth Oil III

A Quiet Time

We Loved Once and True II

We Loved Once and True III

A Fisher of Men

Blessed are the Meek

Pouring Forth Oil IV

An American Pastoral Scene

The Sheep and the Goats

A Strange Kindness

After reading this thread and thinking about this game. I am finally playing around in RDR2 after 1-2 years break. I am testing chapter 2 at a moment.

Chapter 1: Arthur should have $43 in his pocket after find money in drawers in the private train car, and looting tons of bodies. Melee fighting at the Adler Ranch barn and train robbery.

Chapter 2:

Polite Society, Valentine Style--- Girls working at their tent, Arthur go talks with them, Cutscene girls coming from their tent, and intro to the town of Valentine and stores.

Who is Not Without Sin-- Arthur goes back to camp after Valentine. Susan will sometimes tell Arthur about Micah and Lenny went to Strawberry (dialogue is random). Arthur checks Swanson's book to see drugs. Arthur looks around camp do not see Swanson. Arthur decides to go to the Train Station at 4-4:30pm. This time depends how fast you get back to camp. I will buy a newspaper in Valentine and randomly fight Odriscolls on the way back to the camp or the train station (usually fight Odriscolls 1-2 times) Rescue Swanson play poker and melee fight. Get back to camp talk to people about Swanson and take a break.

Morning (sometimes it rains, sometimes it don't rain)

Good Honest, Snake Oil--- $50, Sheriff talks about Arthur didn't cause problems yet. Arthur has spending money for the Saloons.

Sometimes 1st dialogue with Thomas Downes  (Random for me)

American At Rest-- bar fight--- Dutch and Trelawny shows up in Valentine. Dutch tells Arthur to get himself cleaned up and join them when he is ready. I don't like doing big missions at this time. Big missions usually take a long time to complete with the dialogue in and out of the cutscenes and fighting.  I don't like going back to camp. Stay in Valentine.

Pick up Arthur's hat in the broken Saloon, buy a few items at the store, and talk to hotel clerk about want happen in Polite Society.

sometimes, this would be 1st or 2nd dialogue with Thomas Downes.

The Noblest of Men and a Woman (1) ---  Sometimes I have to put this after Polite Society. I prefer this small mission be placed right here, but sometimes this glitched out for me. Arthur cannot get a drink at big saloon. After talking to the writer and drunk gunslinger. Arthur gets a bath and bed for the night.

Morning Ride to Blackwater: leave Valentine at 6am.

Visit house Builders

Kill a few Odriscolls or bandit ambushes

Appleseed Timber Company-- sell few items (little bit of money) ( sell the nasty can of Salted Offall that Arthur doesn't like from chapter 1)

Random-- Lost Man-- Before or after rescue Sean ( but don't enter Strawberry). 

The First shall be the Last: Arrive in Blackwater about 2-3pm. Small camp looks like a overnight camp and the boys changed clothes. After talking to Appleseed timber company, Arthur seems to randomly changed clothes. In the cutscene with talking to Javier and Charles, Arthur has his shirt unbutton at the neck. After Arthur left the Valentine Hotel he had on a jacket, collar button all the way up and scarf. I didn't changed clothes.

Exit Pursued  of a Bruised Ego-- Arthur wakes up after the party at 12pm.  Sell the Black Horse ($60) and buy Dutch Warmblood. By the time Arthur and Hosea get to Ocreaghs Run it will be  late afternoon or early evening. If Arthur returns to camp with Hosea, Arthur says he doesn't want another Dutch's speech about making money. If you stay in camp, Dutch will Randomly come over to Arthur and ask to help Strauss. I am divided, I like this now or later. Do it now, the dialogue would be shorter. You still get Dialogue about rescue Sean and Arthur's bar fight (American at Rest). You will miss the dialogue about Micah in Jail and Arthur and Lenny's drunk party.

maybe  a Little hunting, return to camp Susan will random tell Arthur about Hosea headed to Emerald Ranch.

Money Lending and others Sins-- Lilly Millet and Click Mathews-- Emerald Ranch

Spines of America-- I like this way. It make more sense to do this now.  I don't want Hosea talking to the fence guy overnight. Hosea will say to Arthur you the one who gallivanting around here. If you Money Lending before Exit Pursued, how Hosea knows that Arthur went to Emerald Ranch to collect debts? Unless Strauss told Hosea. Return to camp with Hosea.

Money Lending- Mr. Wrobel-- is working on papers and looks like cooking dinner in the afternoon.

Return to camp- take a break

Next morning or afternoon-- Money Lending Mr. Downes works in garden.

We loved once and True I

Bounty Hunting-- Swann

Pay a Social Call

A Quiet Time-- Arthur last time in the sheriff's office in Valentine

Blessed are the Meek-- divided, Me and Arthur hate Micah,  now or later is fine

We loved once and True II-III

Pouring forth oil I-III

Mrs. Downes come to camp random

Fisher of Men-- Early afternoon

Pouring forth Oil IV-- Arthur talk about Micah, everybody should know Micah's small camp is near Strawberry.

An American Pastoral Scene-- works good now or before PFO IV

The Sheep and the Goats

A Strange Kindness--- Micah at camp and in Dutch's ear  Micah tells Dutch about the dry up river bank to set up camp in Lemoyne.

Edited by Psycho18

When I did An Honest Day's Labors, John said to Sadie that he had been doing some bounty hunting after their previous meeting. But I've done no bounty hunting as John. Is that just a glitch on my save game or is that happening to everyone else too? If it's happening to everyone else, where are you fitting in bounties in the Epilogue?

4 hours ago, JB1982 said:

When I did An Honest Day's Labors, John said to Sadie that he had been doing some bounty hunting after their previous meeting. But I've done no bounty hunting as John. Is that just a glitch on my save game or is that happening to everyone else too? If it's happening to everyone else, where are you fitting in bounties in the Epilogue?

Might be related to the latest patches, I think. It used to only trigger if you did bounty hunting between missions, now it always triggers. The bit that annoys me the most is when sadie mentions the tumbleweed sheriff and John says he met him, even though i avoid new austin like the plague 😂

Kinda sad how they keep breaking the story mode with every patch. The "cold weather" glitch made me not play the game for like 6 months